Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Would new management mean danger for our youth?

Read 6063 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Would new management mean danger for our youth?
      May 03, 2010 02:12:30 pm
      If Rafa were to leave, and a new manager was brought in - could we be in danger of losing our best youth players?

i.e. the new manager won't have the relationship that Rafa has built nor the knowledge concerning their talents / future potential - therefore deciding to sell if a decent enough offer came in from another club.

Would we be in 'danger' of losing the likes of Pacheco, Ayala etc to be replaced with new youth players that the new manager deems appropriate?

Or is it likely that this would be prevented by other figures within the club that may inform?
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Would new management mean danger for our youth?
      Reply #1: May 03, 2010 02:16:39 pm
      If Rafa were to leave, and a new manager was brought in - could we be in danger of losing our best youth players?

i.e. the new manager won't have the relationship that Rafa has built nor the knowledge concerning their talents / future potential - therefore deciding to sell if a decent enough offer came in from another club.

Would we be in 'danger' of losing the likes of Pacheco, Ayala etc to be replaced with new youth players that the new manager deems appropriate?

Or is it likely that this would be prevented by other figures within the club that may inform?

A new manager would come with his own idea's and his own policies regarding Youth, I'd like to think a new manager would give it a year to run his eye over our starlets before making a decision on their futures but as we have seen at other clubs that is not always the case.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #2: May 03, 2010 02:21:17 pm
      True, Ross and RLB.

Not only that, some managers even change the first team or is that just me playing too much FM?

A new manager would want his own stuffs. But I guess it all really depends on the manager.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3: May 03, 2010 02:34:41 pm
      My biggest fear is that all this years good work at youth level could be undone in the summer. We could be in for a fantastic few years of youth coming through if the people in place now stay on to see their vision through. If Rafa leaves all that is lost and we could be back to a youth system that doesnt produce. Worst case scenario we lose the cream of the crop to our main rivals
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #4: May 03, 2010 04:41:05 pm

If anything, a new manager would probably give the youth players more of a chance than Rafa does.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #5: May 03, 2010 04:45:10 pm
      I reckon most of them would remain in the youth system here... but new manager will want players he knows can perform... so the youth will find it even harder to get in to the first team.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #6: May 04, 2010 11:20:00 am
      Think it would. Rafa made a big thing last summer in changing the Reseve and Youth senior coachers / managers.

Think it is naive to assume that any new manager wouldnt want things to be done his way.
      LiverpoolJay
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      • Never lose hope
      Reply #7: May 04, 2010 12:13:34 pm
      People always say that Rafa doesnt give youth players a chance, but that has definatly changed towards the end of the season, seeing Pacheco and Ayala, even if it was only sitting on the bench.

The main concern is with a new manager coming in they will have great pressure on them to deliever, so are they really likely to take the risk and give the youth a run out? I highly doubt it, it will all be about results for the few season or two rather than development.
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #8: May 04, 2010 12:17:13 pm
      My biggest fear is that all this years good work at youth level could be undone in the summer. We could be in for a fantastic few years of youth coming through if the people in place now stay on to see their vision through. If Rafa leaves all that is lost and we could be back to a youth system that doesnt produce. Worst case scenario we lose the cream of the crop to our main rivals

If we had a 17 year old Messi on our books I'm not sure he would be anywhere near the 1st team
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #9: May 04, 2010 12:19:52 pm
      If anything, a new manager would probably give the youth players more of a chance than Rafa does.

I agree with this.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #10: May 04, 2010 12:22:21 pm
      I dont think so.A new manager is obviously going to want the best for the club?? And I dont know many top managers that would ignore the youth and its not as if Rafa is Wenger and playin youth all the time...
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #11: May 04, 2010 12:30:54 pm

I'm not sure about this, I think Rafa has been a bit more pro-active this season then people give him credit for. I've seen the likes of Pacheco, Spearing, Kelly, Plessis and Ayala making the odd appearance this season. Granted not many, but he has to take it easy on the young lads and next season will see more appearances no doubt.

In answer the original question, depends on the manager. Some good managers give youngsers a chance (Wenger, O'Neill and even the toffee nosed slimeball across the m62) but other top managers hardly consider them (Ancelotti, Redknapp). Hard question really but would be a shame if the youth system was adversely affected putting all the year's hard work in jeapordy.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #12: May 04, 2010 12:31:07 pm

Perhaps yes. But is that a good thing? We all want to see our youth players getting game time and picking up experience but it's a gamble isn't it. I'm not sure LFC is currently in a position to gamble. I'd like to see the youth players on the pitch when they're 'ready'. (By this I mean PL and Europe - I am all for our younger players being out there for FA Cup/League Cup clashes).
      machell88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 269 posts |
      Reply #13: May 04, 2010 03:24:58 pm
      Good, our youth system is a joke anyway - there are hardly any local lads there, and our talent is one of the thinest in the division - arsenal, west ham, everton, tottenham to name just a few have far better youth players than us.

If a new manager were to radically re-vamp our youth system into a positive change, i wouldn't mind if a consequence of that change meant that our "best" moved on.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #14: May 04, 2010 03:30:20 pm
      Good, our youth system is a joke anyway - there are hardly any local lads there, and our talent is one of the thinest in the division - arsenal, west ham, everton, tottenham to name just a few have far better youth players than us.

If a new manager were to radically re-vamp our youth system into a positive change, I wouldn't mind if a consequence of that change meant that our "best" moved on.

The youth system has just undergone a massive reshuffle, which has already shown signs of success at youth level.
      The last thing we need now is to start all over again.

Plus there is a very deliberate effort now to focus on bringing in English talent.
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #15: May 04, 2010 03:34:50 pm

If a new manager were to radically re-vamp our youth system into a positive change, I wouldn't mind if a consequence of that change meant that our "best" moved on.

Couldn't have put it better. Rafa hasn't nurtured enough Scouse talent through the ranks, don't think its ever going to be his style and he's not alone, the likes of Ancelotti and Mourinho don't either. I think the only feasible managerial option to bring through youth players is Martin O'Neill.Not that I mind Rafa in charge or anything but I can't see him being here next season.
      machell88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 269 posts |
      Reply #16: May 04, 2010 03:36:09 pm
      The youth system has just undergone a massive reshuffle, which has already shown signs of success at youth level.
      The last thing we need now is to start all over again.

Plus there is a very deliberate effort now to focus on bringing in English talent.

I realise this mate, but i wasn't talking about the accademy primarily i was talking mainly about the youth and reserve team - they are the joke - loads of players never even get a look in at the reserve team and are brushed to one side - plus the foriegn imports in most cases are no better than the lads here!! Yet they get prominence over those like gerrard and carragher. That is the joke. The fact that we haven't had any youth players break into our regular 11 since gerrard is a joke.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #17: May 04, 2010 03:43:56 pm
      If Rodolfo is to be believed... and I would suggest he is... then the youth system was a joke before Rafa overhauled it. If he stays and Rodolfo and the new staff are given the time they need we will have some excellent players coming through in the near future

Liverpool coach Borrell says
      academy 'was unacceptable'

By Sam Sheringham - BBC Sport Online

Liverpool youth coach Rodolfo Borrell has revealed how surprised he was by the poor quality of the club's academy when he arrived at the club in 2009.

Borrell, who came with Jose Segura from Barcelona, believes it could take another two years before a player breaks through into the first team.

"The reality of what we found here was unacceptable," Borrell told BBC Sport.

The likes of Jamie Carragher, Steven Gerrard, Robbie Fowler and Michael Owen all came through the Liverpool ranks.

But since that crop of talented youngsters, the Liverpool academy has struggled to develop a regular supply of players ready for the demands of the Premier League and European football.

Striker Neil Mellor featured intermittently under Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez before being released to Preston, while full-back Stephen Warnock has gone on to play for England since leaving the Reds for Blackburn and then Aston Villa.

This season, Jay Spearing, Martin Kelly and Daniel Pacheco have been limited to occasional forays off the bench.

Benitez - who has signed highly rated Charlton midfielder Jonjo Shelvey, 18, and 15-year-old England youth international Raheem Sterling from QPR recently - says the club have a long-term plan to bring "British players with passion" to the club.

"(We want) players who you can feel what playing for Liverpool means to them," said Benitez,

"Shelvey is one of these and we have two or three names ready so we will try to do the best for the club.

"I was trying to sign Gareth Barry before and Glen Johnson was the same idea - we have this long-term plan in place and we will try to follow the plan."

Benitez has expressed his frustration at the lack of talent coming through and moves to restructure the youth structure began when former Liverpool winger Steve Heighway stepped down as academy coach in April 2007.

The club created a new position of academy technical manager, a post initially taken by former Ajax player Piet Hamberg before he was replaced by Segura in May 2009.

Borrell, who joined at the same time to coach the under-18s, said they have been working hard to introduce the practices that functioned to great effect at Barcelona's academy, which produced seven of the team who beat Manchester United in last year's Champions League final.

"The under-18s had no centre forward, no balance. They had no tactical level, no understanding of the game," said Borrell, who spent 13 years at Barcelona, where he worked with Cesc Fabregas and Lionel Messi.

"We are working hard, but you can't change things overnight.

"I think we have made a lot of progress over eight months, but we need to improve a lot more to get more players into the first team.

"I think if we keep working hard maybe in two years somebody can appear in the first team."

Liverpool's academy features players from Hungary, Iceland, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Spain, Portugal and Australia, but Borrell says the priority is to produce English players.

"When I arrived the first thing Rafa told me was that the biggest interest is to try to develop English players," he said.

"I agree - the best players to defend the Barca shirt are Catalan players, the best players to defend the Liverpool shirt are English players.

"The rest of the players who are not English, they must be massive, massive quality.

"We have to fight to make English players arrive. If in two or three years one of our players does make the first team, I think he will be English."
      machell88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 269 posts |
      Reply #18: May 04, 2010 03:50:35 pm
      fair post - i just hope they deliver on their promises.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #19: May 04, 2010 03:51:38 pm
      fair post - I just hope they deliver on their promises.
      I think its fair to say we all do

Quick Reply