Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Liverpool manager Benítez to meet chairman Martin Broughton to discuss future.

Read 5096 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Liverpool manager Benítez to meet chairman Martin Broughton to discuss future.
      May 03, 2010 03:38:48 pm
      Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez to meet chairman Martin Broughton to discuss future

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/7669488/Liverpool-manager-Rafael-Benitez-to-meet-chairman-Martin-Broughton-to-discuss-future.html

Rafael Benítez confirmed he would meet Martin Broughton, Liverpool's new chairman, this week to discuss both his and the club's future after again refusing to quell speculation linking him with a move to Juventus.

The Serie A side, who will also not compete in the Champions League next season, remain confident Benítez will be in charge next season, with sources in Italy suggesting the only obstacles to confirmation of the deal are how many staff the Spaniard wishes to accompany him to Turin and the level of compensation Liverpool are likely to demand.

As ever, Benítez would not be drawn on whether the 2-0 defeat to Chelsea on Sunday, which ended Liverpool's Champions League chances, would be his last in charge of the club, but he did admit talks would be held in the next few days as he seeks reassurances from Broughton over Liverpool's future and his chairman tries to discover his manager's intentions.

"I do not want to say too much because I have four years left on my contract," he said. "I have not met the new chairman but I will speak with him in the next week.

"Nothing is clear cut, we have to wait. It is not just for me to ask one or two questions. If we have a conversation we will try and keep it private. It is just to talk about the future. You are asking about my future, but the future of the club is more important.

"I have heard all of the speculation over the last two or three weeks and read a lot of news about a lot of things, but at the moment we have another game to play. I have read a lot of things in the past about other managers.

"I will prepare for the next game and then start thinking of things for the future."

There were no clues to Benítez's intentions – or those of Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard and Javier Mascherano – as he led his players in a walk around the Anfield pitch, the Spaniard talking to youngsters Daniel Pacheco and Daniel Ayala and waving and smiling at the crowd.

"At the end, we had to say thank you to the fans," he said. "It has been a difficult season and they have supported their team throughout. It has been more difficult than other years and they know it."

I have a feeling this meeting could be pivotal as to whether Rafa remains here next season.

I've heard whispers Purslow has been sneaking around behind Rafa's back and deliberately undermining his as a manager, here's hoping with Broughton being an RBS appointment and not H&G's whipping boy, he will convince Rafa the club will move in the right direction once new owners are found.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4588 
      Re: Liverpool manager Benítez to meet chairman Martin Broughton to discuss future.
      Reply #1: May 03, 2010 04:22:02 pm
      F**k me rafa must feel like cesar at the moment,surrounded by backstabbers.I hope the chelsea man does the right thing and backs rafa,unless he tapps him up for the chelsea post.
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Liverpool manager Benítez to meet chairman Martin Broughton to discuss future.
      Reply #2: May 03, 2010 04:28:03 pm
      F**k me rafa must feel like cesar at the moment,surrounded by backstabbers.I hope the chelsea man does the right thing and backs rafa,unless he tapps him up for the chelsea post.

Well to be honest mate, He's an RBS appointment so I can't see him forging any allegiances with Tom & George as it's basically RBS who are undermining them and it would be a massive conflict of interest for him to get too cosey with them.

He's made all the right noises IMO about seeking the deal that is right for Liverpool F.C and not Tom & George so hopefully he can convince Rafa that is the case.
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #3: May 03, 2010 04:30:57 pm
      I guess a lot depends if there really is any interest for the club, at the present price. Be ready in the meantime for a lot of horror-stories from the media.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4588 
      Reply #4: May 03, 2010 04:33:17 pm
      Well to be honest mate, He's an RBS appointment so I can't see him forging any allegiances with Tom & George as it's basically RBS who are undermining them and it would be a massive conflict of interest for him to get too cosey with them.

He's made all the right noises IMO about seeking the deal that is right for Liverpool F.C and not Tom & George so hopefully he can convince Rafa that is the case.

He does come across as a honest and straightforward chap.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #5: May 03, 2010 05:57:32 pm
      First off, let me get my 'usual' dig in at Purslow.

I have consistently held the view that this F**k-knuckle speaks with forked tongue and is nothing more than a H & G lackey. He's a toady, a spin-doctor brought in to be the more acceptable face of the vile H & G regime - nothing more. I believe that it is he who has been feeding Rafa lies (just as he has to us) about future investment. It is his lies that have made Rafa's position untenable.

Which brings me on to the latest developments. I can not see how any meeting between Broughton and Rafa will end with Rafa staying.

Broughton can't possibly be in a position to offer Rafa any solace or make him any promises. How can Broughton know if or when the club will be sold or to who? Indeed, how can Broughton state, with any confidence, that any new owners would want Rafa?

I hope i'm wrong (as more chaos is the last thing we need) but it looks to me that the meeting is to say adios.  :-\
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #6: May 03, 2010 06:00:22 pm
      Martin Broughton was 'brought' in to sell the club.

What possible interest will the Chelsea season-ticket holder have on the long term footballing strategy of the club.  This is a complete and utter joke.  The man has no interest or desire in seeing Liverpool continue to move forward on the pitch. His single concern is ensuring Hicks and Gillett get 'shown the money'.

Nobody in the Anfield boardroom gives the slightest toss about our medium term future.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #7: May 03, 2010 06:20:16 pm
      Martin Broughton was 'brought' in to sell the club.

What possible interest will the Chelsea season-ticket holder have on the long term footballing strategy of the club.  This is a complete and utter joke.  The man has no interest or desire in seeing Liverpool continue to move forward on the pitch. His single concern is ensuring Hicks and Gillett get 'shown the money'.

Nobody in the Anfield boardroom gives the slightest toss about our medium term future.

Took the words out of my mouth.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8: May 03, 2010 06:25:00 pm
      His single concern is ensuring Hicks and Gillett get 'shown the money'.

Replace Hicks and Gillet with RBS and your probably right, he's working under direction from them to find a buyer not Hicks & Gillet.
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #9: May 03, 2010 06:30:25 pm
      What I cannot get my head round with all the board marlarkey is, what each member actually does. We know Broughton has been brought in, to get the Yanks to sell, but correct me wasn't that suppose to be Purslow's job in the first place? So what is he doing now, apart from stabbing the manager in the back, and buying players for him?

Then there is Ayres, does he just run the club from day to day or is that Purslow's job too? No one seems to have a definate place in the structure. We are as Reira said a sinking ship.

The most interesting question actually is if the board do want to sack Rafa, who the hell would take that decision. Do any of them know.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10: May 03, 2010 06:39:42 pm
      What I cannot get my head round with all the board marlarkey is, what each member actually does. We know Broughton has been brought in, to get the Yanks to sell, but correct me wasn't that suppose to be Purslow's job in the first place? So what is he doing now, apart from stabbing the manager in the back, and buying players for him?

Then there is Ayres, does he just run the club from day to day or is that Purslow's job too? No one seems to have a definate place in the structure. We are as Reira said a sinking ship.

The most interesting question actually is if the board do want to sack Rafa, who the hell would take that decision. Do any of them know.

Purslow was brought in by the Yanks to find investment, he is effectively there stooge, however he's now been relinquished of that position as RBS are in the driving seat now and have highlighted that as much by appointing Broughton to sell the club effectively on their behalf.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/13/gillett-hicks-sell-liverpool

"Liverpool could soon be sold after Royal Bank of Scotland conditioned its refinancing package on Tom Hicks and George Gillett relinquishing control of the club.

Relinquishing control, I.E Tom & George no longer have any control over the direction the club takes or which potential buyers get the club.

The Royal Bank of Scotland is to increase its control at Liverpool having insisted on the appointment of an independent chairman, Martin Broughton.

Basically to over see the sale and ensure RBS get their monies owed.

signalling increased influence in the Anfield boardroom by the largely government-owned RBS.

Meaning RBS are in control now, it's there ball game.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #11: May 03, 2010 07:20:11 pm
      Benitez demands answers over Reds future

(UKPA) – 1 hour ago

Manager Rafael Benitez has called on Liverpool officials to "answer a lot of questions" about the future direction of the club.

The Spaniard has a meeting scheduled with new chairman Martin Broughton this week in which he expects to be given detailed information about what plans are being put in place for next season and beyond.

"It (the meeting) is to talk about the future. Everyone is asking about my future but the future of the club is more important," said Benitez

"Still I do not know what is going on in the club. I don't know if we will have any investors so there are a lot of questions - not just, for me, one question.

"For me the club has to answer a lot of questions. We have to wait and see what is going on. The future is maybe tomorrow or maybe one week; at this moment it is something we don't know."

Benitez refused to clarify his future at the club after Sunday's 2-0 home defeat to Chelsea which ended their hopes of securing Champions League football for next season.

But he expressed his frustration at the campaign which appears to be going on around him concerning his future. He is unhappy about the way Juventus have publicly targeted him but also hinted there were maybe factors at work within Liverpool to try to force his hand.

"If I have a conversation with him (Broughton) we will try to keep it private," said Benitez in his now-familiar cryptic style.

"There are too many rumours in the press and I know some people are just trying to create a mess.

"To be fair we were trying to our best last week, signing (Charlton teenager) Jonjo Shelvey because still we have the same mentality - to improve the club and do the best for the club."

Copyright © 2010 The Press Association. All rights reserved.

Click Here For Article

Those bits i've highlighted just sum up the type of man Rafa really is. As much as he pisses me off with his stubborn attitude, i have never questioned his commitment to Liverpool Football Club. He's always talking of Liverpool Football Club as a collective, note the lack of 'i' in that interview. One of the reasons why i love the man, but i can also hate him sometimes, of that i have no reservations. But hey, nobody is perfect. With all the doom and gloom surrounding the Club, it's good to know that we can trust Rafa to do what's best for Liverpool Football Club, and not what's best for him. A more selfless manager in world football? Never.
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #12: May 03, 2010 07:41:04 pm
      I think if Rafa can get some guarantee on transfer money and some meaningful insight into the
      future ownership, he will stay.
      Aspi
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts |
      Reply #13: May 03, 2010 10:13:04 pm
      I'm at the stage now where I have given up reading anything in the papers, or anything into meetings like this. 

Until I read the breaking news on SSN that we have been sold then the doom and gloom surrounding the club is getting too much!
      The Famous Kopite
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 789 posts | -22 
      • Edinburgh to Liverpool 260miles 4 90mins worth it
      Reply #14: May 03, 2010 10:33:51 pm
      I think that Rafa will leave next week after Hull. and it will be whole World cup looking for a Manager my top 3 i would like to see at Anfield

3."The Chosen One"
      2.Harry Redknapp
      1.Roy Hodgson 

But also if we are going to challenge for the league every season and champions league then we will go for a International Manager.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #15: May 03, 2010 10:42:05 pm
      I think that Rafa will leave next week after Hull. and it will be whole World cup looking for a Manager my top 3 I would like to see at Anfield

3."The Chosen One"
      2.Harry Redknapp
      1.Roy Hodgson 

Moyes?! I'd rather eat my own eyes than see that c**t in charge here.

OF the 3 i'd prefer Hodgson as he's no nonsense and has done a great job at Fulham but i don't think he's any better than Rafa is. IF Rafa leaves then of course we simply have to get a proven, top class, trophy winning manager.

Mourinho, Hiddink, Van Gaal or even try and tempt Capello away from England.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,298 posts | 765 
      Reply #16: May 03, 2010 10:59:39 pm
      Capello would be an ideal choice, or is it just my wishful thinking!
      jake15919
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 359 posts | 14 
      • Something, something, something, the dark side.
      Reply #17: May 04, 2010 12:00:34 am
      This thread sums up the sh*t our club is in.

Our owners are a pair of cheap shysters (legally this is opinion not fact). Our chairman is a life long Chelsea fan, and no one can honestly say they know who appointed him and why. On the board who has what authority and what is their agenda? None of us believe in the leadership of the club and as a result we are in a constant state of speculation and uncertainty. Three days ago the papers were saying that it was a bad sign that Rafa hadn't met the chairman, today it's ominous that they are meeting.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #18: May 04, 2010 12:10:19 am
      I think that Rafa will leave next week after Hull. and it will be whole World cup looking for a Manager my top 3 I would like to see at Anfield

3."The Chosen One"
      2.Harry Redknapp
      1.Roy Hodgson 

But also if we are going to challenge for the league every season and champions league then we will go for a International Manager.

Famous Kopite? Obviously famous for talking sh*te.. Get a fookin grip lad.. Moyes?.. I don't normally sling dirt but F**k it.. I'm going in.. "your an idiot"... Jaysus!!
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #19: May 04, 2010 01:29:42 am
      The Mirror is reporting that the longer Rafa waits the more Juve will probably look elsewhere, but the mirror suggests that Rafa would have to quit in the next few days if he wants to take over in Turin. So apparently the longer we don't hear anything the better. I don't trust these reports, but at least the way I am thinking reading that is Rafa won't go.
      McCr8
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 113 posts |
      Reply #20: May 04, 2010 01:46:45 am
      The whole debacle will be somewhat clearer in the next few weeks, the chairman, no matter what his footballing alliance is, has stated that the sale will take place in a matter of months, that must mean that something was already in the process of being set up. I honestly think that if Rafa is given clear indication of a positive future then he will stay and what a triumph that will be for the club. Time and experience at the club will only be a great thing for us, he loves the club, he uses spin like anyone else but come on he was hard faced enough to publicly question the integrity of the owners, something we were all saying. time to wait and hope for the best. personally i hope he stays, secondly i think that the sale is imminent. YNWA god help me i don't want to walk alone, and to be fair with the best fans in the world all together we never will!!!!!!

In Rafa 'I' Trust
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6735 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #21: May 04, 2010 02:10:51 am
      Welcome to the forum McCr8. Great 1st post.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #22: May 04, 2010 02:39:58 am
      Crunch time for Rafa and the club.

If he goes and our ownership situation does not change  I am afraid it will be the beginning of the end.

Quick Reply