Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Man Utd force ST holders to buy ALL cup games

Read 2756 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Man Utd force ST holders to buy ALL cup games
      Jun 11, 2007 10:17:51 pm
      You may be aware that Liverpool also have the Auto-Cup scheme. But Man Utd have taken it a step further by making it compulsory for season ticket holders. The LFC season ticket rose by around 6.5% this year. United's went up on average by 14%

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/6742221.stm

Manchester United have defended a new policy which forces season-ticket holders to buy tickets for cup matches.

Fans have criticised the automatic cup ticket scheme, which is compulsory for season-ticket renewals this season.

Under the scheme, fans are issued and billed for cup-match tickets whether they want them or not.

A United spokesman said:"Three-quarters of our fans were signed up anyway, and of the remaining 25%, all went to at least one cup game last season."

The automatic cup ticket scheme (ACT) will provide season ticket holders with tickets for all Champions League, FA Cup and League Cup matches at Old Trafford.

Supporters claim the scheme is a move to guarantee income from games against less attractive opposition and could potentially add another £380 to the cost of their season ticket.

The United spokesman said: "All we've done is redefine what a season is, away from purely a League season, to be a whole season."

The scheme follows an average Old Trafford season-ticket price rise of 14% this year.

United fan Stuart Parrish accused the club of exploiting their loyalty, arguing the scheme provided fans with no benefits.

"We should be able to choose whether we want tickets for cup games or not," said Parrish.

The United spokesman said fans who did not want their tickets for cup matches would be able to dispose of them in the club's ticket exchange, where they would be able to sell them for face value to other members.

Disgruntled United fans who have opted not to renew their season ticket in protest, have set up a website to encourage others to join a boycott.

The United spokesman added: "We've a waiting list of 14,000 for season tickets and we regularly turned 5,000 people away for Premiership games last season."
      Rushie
      • Forum John Toshack

• 255 posts | -3 
      Re: Man Utd force ST holders to buy ALL cup games
      Reply #1: Jun 11, 2007 11:06:26 pm
      Robbing bas**rds.

No wonder they spent £50 million in about three days.  They probably have cashed all of next years attendance money already.
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #2: Jun 11, 2007 11:26:03 pm
      There are clubs that I have great dislike for and it will come as no supprise to say United are one of them! But I do have a great respect for fans of any club that follow their team home and away, all over the world, through thick and thin. The true fans who have put there money through turn stiles for years. I have previously made my feelings known of Liverpools season ticket increases, but what United are doing is just pure criminal! The cost of watching football has grown so much that there has been empty seats at virtually every cup game last year. I think it was the quarter finals last season and there was 8,000 empty seats in the theater of screams. We can have stadiums as big as we like but there is only so much true fans can afford. It seems that Uniteds marketing ploy to combat excessively priced cup games is to squeeze the life blood of their club until they can't breathe. I actually heard Uniteds fans on radio phone ins saying that there are huge numbers of season tickets being returned and United aren't selling there full season ticket allocation. I hope this is true, and genuine fans are making a stand because every club has people at the top making these decisions, people who can't lie straight in bed!
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #3: Jun 12, 2007 12:41:18 am
      With all the season ticket holders going to all the home cup matches, how the hell would they decide who gets the final tickets ??
      11,000 for Athens would of been a bigger nightmare for them, Mr Parry any ideas ? ;)
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #4: Jun 12, 2007 12:41:11 pm
      With all the season ticket holders going to all the home cup matches, how the hell would they decide who gets the final tickets ??
      11,000 for Athens would of been a bigger nightmare for them, Mr Parry any ideas ? ;)

Fortunately thats a problem they never seem to have  ;)

Quick Reply