Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

2009/2010 Signings

Read 1707 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      2009/2010 Signings
      May 10, 2010 06:47:25 pm
      I'm not if the title is the right one to use or whether this deserved a thread on it's own because it's somewhat similar to a review of our signings alone this season.

In 2008/2009, we saw the arrival of Albert Riera (7m), Andrea Dossena (7m), Phillip Degen (free), Robbie Keane (20 mil), Diego Cavalieri (3.5 mil) and David N'gog (1.5 mil).

Dare I say that four of them aren't the best of signings. Robbie Keane, well-seasoned Premier League striker who has played in the top flight for years and Andrea Dossena, best left back in Italy, have really failed to impress the Anfield faithful. Robbie Keane had a lot of games to show what he can do because of Torres' absence but failed and only hit the back of the net 7 times in 28 games. Dossena, gets skinned by most right wingers in the league. To be fair to both Phillip Degen and Diego Cavalieri, they have not got enough of games but were not very impressive when we lost to Tottenham Hotspur 4-2 in the League Cup. Albert Riera, though a good start and looked a good singing, was consistently inconsistent and recent outburst seemed to have sealed his fate.

Only David N'gog, then 19, scored three goals in all competitions in 19 games in his first season that I can say, out of the six as an "okay signing". For the young French forward, he's done a good job as cover for Fernando Torres this season, hitting the back of the net 8 times in 24 apperances, a goal every three games on average.

Fast forward twelve months to 2009/2010. Glen Johnson (18 mil), Alberto Aquilani (20 mil), Sotiris Kyrgiakos (2 mil) and Maxi Rodriguez (free), in January, joined the Anfield army.

Some people may argue that 18 million is alot for a defender. I agree, but that's how the rate of prices of players have been going since 2004 since Chelsea and recently Real Madrid and Man City have been inflating the prices of players like crazy. Though Glen Johnson's defending is debatable, being caught out of position in many cases, is however very impressive going forward as seen when he won the penalty at White Hart Lane on his debut and scoring on his Anfield debut. The right back already has three Liverpool goals to his name. Offers alot of attacking option up front, something we lack in previous seasons.

Alberto Aquilani, signed for us while injured. Brought in as the replacement for Xabi Alonso. Took a while for him to finally put a Liverpool top on because of his injury and was slowly introduced into the team. Although he looks fragil at times, he's shown glimpses of his abilities in his short run in the team. Able to kick with both feet, has the vision to play passes and alot of movement from him as we have seen against Atletico Madrid, Portsmouth and Burnley. Burnley and Portsmouth are poor oppsition but at least it showed the Italian's capabilities. One-touch football, good touches and movement from him we have seen. Scored both his goals in front the Kop and has six assists, including three against Burnley. More to come from our Italian midfielder next season and could be an important player.

Sotiris Kyrgiakos came because Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel were kinda injured at the start of the season. He looked shaky in his first game against Bolton Wanderers. The big Greek , IMO was an important figure in our defence last season. He brought in the physical presence and aeriel threat, something we have lost in Sami Hyypia and Peter Crouch. Sotis did look solid in defence overall for us.

In January, we saw Maxi sign for free. Yes, a player of his quality, for free! Took him awhile to adapt to the English game but with Torres and Mascherano around, it wouldn't be too difficult. It was a pity he was ineligible for our Europa League matches as he was pretty influential in the league games he has played and looked dangerous coming from the right. Will play a pivotal role in the coming seasons for the Reds on the right and it's hard to believe he came for free.

This brings me to my conclusion - Rafa's signings this season are actually decent/good, also considering the money matter. He made mistakes last season and has quickly sold Dossena and Keane. I, for one, don't think the four signings he's made this season are considered bad or are poor signings to what some have stated.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Re: 2009/2010 Signings
      Reply #1: May 10, 2010 07:04:07 pm
      I would tend to agree in general Adryan. I think the big Greek has been excellent for us and Aquilani is one for the future. After he had a few games towards the end of the season, he was looking a lot more confident and attacking. His passing looks sharp and he has a good range.

Maxi was free (don't know his wages) but looks a decent signing.

I'm not sure about Ngog yet, he's not that young anymore but tbf he hasn't had a consistent run in the team. He is one for gently breaking into the team but not a cover for Nando (or even a regular top half premiership player....yet).

If we hang onto Nando and Stevie (which I think we will, I'm a positivie person) and get a few players (we don't need many, a striker to cover Nando, a left back and a left winger), I think we can click into gear again.

A lot depends on off the field matters though, players need motivation and need to know the *anks have left with a change in ownership on the way.

Quick Reply