Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Rafa wants to stay - will this see the 'duo' leave?

Read 8009 times
      ynwa09
      • Forum Jari Litmanen
      • Started Topic

• 50 posts |
      Rafa wants to stay - will this see the 'duo' leave?
      May 10, 2010 12:52:10 pm
      Rafael Benitez has today spoken of his desire to remain as Liverpool manager and insisted that "no-one" at the club wants to sell Fernando Torres or Steven Gerrard.

The boss revealed he has held positive talks with Chairman Martin Broughton and will hold another meeting with the Reds chief next week.

"I had a meeting with the chairman and it was positive," Benitez told his post match press conference at Hull City. "We will have another one this week and we will talk about the future again.

"I have shown my commitment for years, and if I stay I am not thinking about selling Gerrard or Torres. I do not want to sell them.

"The stability of the club is important because we need to move forward, we will have another meeting and hopefully we can progress."

He added: "Nobody wants to sell them (Gerrard and Torres). I think the Chairman was very clear."

Asked if he wanted to remain as Liverpool manager, Benitez said: "Yes, it is always the same situation. I have wanted to stay and I would like to stay.

"I am at a massive club with massive fans. I was really pleased to see our fans supporting the team. Things have not been the best this year and they have to change."

The Reds brought a disappointing season to a close with 0-0 draw at Hull City, a result that leaves them in seventh place.

Benitez admits it was a frustrating afternoon in Humberside and feels the draw was symptomatic of their season away from home.

"I think you could see we tried to win," he said. "We had chances, we could have scored at the end, but it has been a special season with a lot of things happening. We had three or four chances but couldn't take them.

"We were really good away last season, but this year there has been a big difference. We didn't win the games we won last season and haven't scored as many goals."

One positive from the draw with the Tigers was the debut of Academy starlet Jack Robinson, who became the youngest Liverpool player in history when he replaced Ryan Babel late on.

Benitez said: "We have been lucky because the reserve team have been away and we had problems with injuries, with Fabio and Insua. He was training with us one day, so we felt he could be an option.

"We knew he was a young player. I am really pleased. He is now clutching his shirt and doesn't want to give to anyone."

Liverpool's seventh place finish means they will now face a Europa League qualifier in July, a fixture that Benitez admits will cause issues with the Reds' pre-season preparations.

"We were working hard and had the pre-season more or less sorted. But now we have to analyse the schedule and see if we can organise the fixtures properly.

"It was the same last year, we had too many players away with the Confederations Cup. The teams are suffering with these tournaments, but it's not easy, we will try to manage."

The boss was also quizzed about potential transfer targets.

He said: "We have been working and looking at targets. Every year is the same."

He added: "I don't think it will be a problem attracting players because Liverpool is a massive club with a great history and we have big players with quality in the squad.

"You cannot win every year. This season has been bad, but when you are at a club for a long time you have good times and bad times."
      « Last Edit: May 10, 2010 01:18:20 pm by Reslivo »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      Re: Rafa wants to stay will this see the duo leave..?
      Reply #1: May 10, 2010 12:55:51 pm
      Why would they want to leave?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,546 posts | 1775 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2: May 10, 2010 12:58:46 pm
      Eh?

That is a question the SUN or NOTW would ask.

Basically trying to get them to leave.

Nobody will leave that is quality!

All the good guys have signed up for at least 4 more years.

So they will all stay at least for next year.

Gerrard will stay for life, no Matter what !
      ynwa09
      • Forum Jari Litmanen
      • Started Topic

• 50 posts |
      Reply #3: May 10, 2010 01:00:12 pm
      this was asked to rafa yesterday...

Benitez put on a bold front yesterday, insisting after the goalless draw at Hull: “If I stay, I’m not thinking about selling Gerrard or Torres.”

But when Benitez was asked if Gerrard and striker Fernando Torres wanted to stay he admitted: “That’s a ­question for them.”

ynwa09
      • Forum Jari Litmanen
      • Started Topic

• 50 posts |
      Reply #4: May 10, 2010 01:03:39 pm
      I would be gutted if Stevie G or Torres were to leave  :f_wah: its times like this when I wish they would come forward in a press meeting and say we are staying at liverpool...!!!  Would put alot of minds at rest and stop the media bullshit..! :f_steam:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #5: May 10, 2010 01:07:10 pm
      These two are always going to be linked with a move away from the club whether we like it or not. The media do have a field day speculating about these two though just because of our poor season and our struggle to win the league. Let's hope Madrid make bids for Vidic and Rooney!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #6: May 10, 2010 01:07:44 pm
      I would be gutted if Stevie G or Torres were to leave  :f_wah: its times like this when I wish they would come forward in a press meeting and say we are staying at liverpool...!!!  Would put alot of minds at rest and stop the media bullshit..! :f_steam:

Agreed.
      ynwa09
      • Forum Jari Litmanen
      • Started Topic

• 50 posts |
      Reply #7: May 10, 2010 01:11:42 pm
      True True..

I must be honest i try to not read the media sh*te but then i get drawn in... MEDIA IT`S THE ROUTE OF ALL EVIL.. ;D. :-)
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,546 posts | 1775 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #8: May 10, 2010 01:15:40 pm
      this was asked to rafa yesterday...

Benitez put on a bold front yesterday, insisting after the goalless draw at Hull: “If I stay, I’m not thinking about selling Gerrard or Torres.”

But when Benitez was asked if Gerrard and striker Fernando Torres wanted to stay he admitted: “That’s a ­question for them.”

As usually Pundits and press setting rafa up with daft questions.

Of course it is a question for them.

They have already answered by signing fukin long contracts.

Only way thye would go is if Owner's decided to sell all the players to clear the debt. But then we woudl be royaly fu**ed and probably relegated.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      Re: Rafa wants to stay - will this see the 'duo' leave?
      Reply #9: May 10, 2010 01:20:21 pm
      Eh?

That is a question the SUN or NOTW would ask.

Brez I would edit your post regarding those 2 sh*t rag's you menetioned.
      ynwa09
      • Forum Jari Litmanen
      • Started Topic

• 50 posts |
      Reply #10: May 10, 2010 01:28:17 pm
      Brez I would edit your post regarding those 2 sh*t rag's you menetioned.

Argeed on that...! there both F***ing liars and do not ever need to be named on here..FILTH..!!

hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #11: May 10, 2010 01:34:15 pm
      Gerrard won't leave, he epitomises Liverpool Football Club. Torres? He'll stay for another season, of that i'm sure. If things don't change at the boardroom level next season, then i think he will go. The best striker in the world, will he settle for mid table football and the Europa League for more than one season?. I don't think he will, no matter how much he loves the Club. And i wouldn't blame him either.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #12: May 10, 2010 01:34:33 pm
      Just heard an interesting interview with Rafa he said he does not want to sell Torres or Gerrard in case other more senior people at the club say different.

I think that is very interesting like other more senior people at the club not Rafa are considering the sale. Rafa distancing himself already from it.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #13: May 10, 2010 01:35:54 pm
      Might just go and support Wigan. Don't have to put up with this sh*t every day.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      Reply #14: May 10, 2010 01:48:49 pm
      Just heard an interesting interview with Rafa he said he does not want to sell Torres or Gerrard in case other more senior people at the club say different.

I think that is very interesting like other more senior people at the club not Rafa are considering the sale. Rafa distancing himself already from it.

Christian purslow.
      LiverpoolJay
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      • Never lose hope
      Reply #15: May 10, 2010 02:14:24 pm
      Seems like an interesting article, where did you find it? Can you provide a link?
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #16: May 10, 2010 02:19:31 pm
      Does no one remember the interview Torres gave a few months back, (when all we had was the europa leage) saying he wants to stay at liverpool for a very long time- champions league footie or not??

No amount of Interviews will stop the media bullshit!
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #17: May 10, 2010 02:19:39 pm
      "If I stay"

Thats what pisses me off about Rafa.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #18: May 10, 2010 02:22:48 pm
      I'd say Rafa staying depends solely on new owners been found, if not I think he will go.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #19: May 10, 2010 02:31:14 pm
      True True..

I must be honest i try to not read the media sh*te but then i get drawn in... MEDIA IT`S THE ROUTE OF ALL EVIL.. ;D. :-)

I've stopped reading newspapers. Sick of seeing bullshit on the back pages.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #20: May 10, 2010 02:32:53 pm
      "I have shown my commitment for years, and if I stay I am not thinking about selling Gerrard or Torres".

Correction:

Rafa has not said he wants to stay.

He has said

IF I stay.

Got the link to the story please?
      ynwa09
      • Forum Jari Litmanen
      • Started Topic

• 50 posts |
      Reply #21: May 10, 2010 02:41:04 pm
      Sure Eurored,

The link came from the lfc.tv website i`ve put the link here for you..!

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/rafa-we-want-to-keep-duo
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #22: May 10, 2010 02:43:20 pm
      Correction:

Rafa has not said he wants to stay.

He has said

IF I stay.

Got the link to the story please?

He actually did mate.

Asked if he wanted to remain as Liverpool manager, Benitez said: "Yes, it is always the same situation. I have wanted to stay and I would like to stay.

Quick Reply