Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Rafa wants to stay - will this see the 'duo' leave?

Read 8013 times
      ynwa09
      • Forum Jari Litmanen
      • Started Topic

• 50 posts |
      Rafa wants to stay - will this see the 'duo' leave?
      May 10, 2010 12:52:10 pm
      Rafael Benitez has today spoken of his desire to remain as Liverpool manager and insisted that "no-one" at the club wants to sell Fernando Torres or Steven Gerrard.

The boss revealed he has held positive talks with Chairman Martin Broughton and will hold another meeting with the Reds chief next week.

"I had a meeting with the chairman and it was positive," Benitez told his post match press conference at Hull City. "We will have another one this week and we will talk about the future again.

"I have shown my commitment for years, and if I stay I am not thinking about selling Gerrard or Torres. I do not want to sell them.

"The stability of the club is important because we need to move forward, we will have another meeting and hopefully we can progress."

He added: "Nobody wants to sell them (Gerrard and Torres). I think the Chairman was very clear."

Asked if he wanted to remain as Liverpool manager, Benitez said: "Yes, it is always the same situation. I have wanted to stay and I would like to stay.

"I am at a massive club with massive fans. I was really pleased to see our fans supporting the team. Things have not been the best this year and they have to change."

The Reds brought a disappointing season to a close with 0-0 draw at Hull City, a result that leaves them in seventh place.

Benitez admits it was a frustrating afternoon in Humberside and feels the draw was symptomatic of their season away from home.

"I think you could see we tried to win," he said. "We had chances, we could have scored at the end, but it has been a special season with a lot of things happening. We had three or four chances but couldn't take them.

"We were really good away last season, but this year there has been a big difference. We didn't win the games we won last season and haven't scored as many goals."

One positive from the draw with the Tigers was the debut of Academy starlet Jack Robinson, who became the youngest Liverpool player in history when he replaced Ryan Babel late on.

Benitez said: "We have been lucky because the reserve team have been away and we had problems with injuries, with Fabio and Insua. He was training with us one day, so we felt he could be an option.

"We knew he was a young player. I am really pleased. He is now clutching his shirt and doesn't want to give to anyone."

Liverpool's seventh place finish means they will now face a Europa League qualifier in July, a fixture that Benitez admits will cause issues with the Reds' pre-season preparations.

"We were working hard and had the pre-season more or less sorted. But now we have to analyse the schedule and see if we can organise the fixtures properly.

"It was the same last year, we had too many players away with the Confederations Cup. The teams are suffering with these tournaments, but it's not easy, we will try to manage."

The boss was also quizzed about potential transfer targets.

He said: "We have been working and looking at targets. Every year is the same."

He added: "I don't think it will be a problem attracting players because Liverpool is a massive club with a great history and we have big players with quality in the squad.

"You cannot win every year. This season has been bad, but when you are at a club for a long time you have good times and bad times."
      « Last Edit: May 10, 2010 01:18:20 pm by Reslivo »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      Re: Rafa wants to stay will this see the duo leave..?
      Reply #1: May 10, 2010 12:55:51 pm
      Why would they want to leave?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1782 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2: May 10, 2010 12:58:46 pm
      Eh?

That is a question the SUN or NOTW would ask.

Basically trying to get them to leave.

Nobody will leave that is quality!

All the good guys have signed up for at least 4 more years.

So they will all stay at least for next year.

Gerrard will stay for life, no Matter what !
      ynwa09
      • Forum Jari Litmanen
      • Started Topic

• 50 posts |
      Reply #3: May 10, 2010 01:00:12 pm
      this was asked to rafa yesterday...

Benitez put on a bold front yesterday, insisting after the goalless draw at Hull: “If I stay, I’m not thinking about selling Gerrard or Torres.”

But when Benitez was asked if Gerrard and striker Fernando Torres wanted to stay he admitted: “That’s a ­question for them.”

ynwa09
      • Forum Jari Litmanen
      • Started Topic

• 50 posts |
      Reply #4: May 10, 2010 01:03:39 pm
      I would be gutted if Stevie G or Torres were to leave  :f_wah: its times like this when I wish they would come forward in a press meeting and say we are staying at liverpool...!!!  Would put alot of minds at rest and stop the media bullshit..! :f_steam:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #5: May 10, 2010 01:07:10 pm
      These two are always going to be linked with a move away from the club whether we like it or not. The media do have a field day speculating about these two though just because of our poor season and our struggle to win the league. Let's hope Madrid make bids for Vidic and Rooney!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #6: May 10, 2010 01:07:44 pm
      I would be gutted if Stevie G or Torres were to leave  :f_wah: its times like this when I wish they would come forward in a press meeting and say we are staying at liverpool...!!!  Would put alot of minds at rest and stop the media bullshit..! :f_steam:

Agreed.
      ynwa09
      • Forum Jari Litmanen
      • Started Topic

• 50 posts |
      Reply #7: May 10, 2010 01:11:42 pm
      True True..

I must be honest i try to not read the media sh*te but then i get drawn in... MEDIA IT`S THE ROUTE OF ALL EVIL.. ;D. :-)
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1782 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #8: May 10, 2010 01:15:40 pm
      this was asked to rafa yesterday...

Benitez put on a bold front yesterday, insisting after the goalless draw at Hull: “If I stay, I’m not thinking about selling Gerrard or Torres.”

But when Benitez was asked if Gerrard and striker Fernando Torres wanted to stay he admitted: “That’s a ­question for them.”

As usually Pundits and press setting rafa up with daft questions.

Of course it is a question for them.

They have already answered by signing fukin long contracts.

Only way thye would go is if Owner's decided to sell all the players to clear the debt. But then we woudl be royaly fu**ed and probably relegated.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      Re: Rafa wants to stay - will this see the 'duo' leave?
      Reply #9: May 10, 2010 01:20:21 pm
      Eh?

That is a question the SUN or NOTW would ask.

Brez I would edit your post regarding those 2 sh*t rag's you menetioned.
      ynwa09
      • Forum Jari Litmanen
      • Started Topic

• 50 posts |
      Reply #10: May 10, 2010 01:28:17 pm
      Brez I would edit your post regarding those 2 sh*t rag's you menetioned.

Argeed on that...! there both F***ing liars and do not ever need to be named on here..FILTH..!!

hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #11: May 10, 2010 01:34:15 pm
      Gerrard won't leave, he epitomises Liverpool Football Club. Torres? He'll stay for another season, of that i'm sure. If things don't change at the boardroom level next season, then i think he will go. The best striker in the world, will he settle for mid table football and the Europa League for more than one season?. I don't think he will, no matter how much he loves the Club. And i wouldn't blame him either.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #12: May 10, 2010 01:34:33 pm
      Just heard an interesting interview with Rafa he said he does not want to sell Torres or Gerrard in case other more senior people at the club say different.

I think that is very interesting like other more senior people at the club not Rafa are considering the sale. Rafa distancing himself already from it.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #13: May 10, 2010 01:35:54 pm
      Might just go and support Wigan. Don't have to put up with this sh*t every day.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      Reply #14: May 10, 2010 01:48:49 pm
      Just heard an interesting interview with Rafa he said he does not want to sell Torres or Gerrard in case other more senior people at the club say different.

I think that is very interesting like other more senior people at the club not Rafa are considering the sale. Rafa distancing himself already from it.

Christian purslow.
      LiverpoolJay
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      • Never lose hope
      Reply #15: May 10, 2010 02:14:24 pm
      Seems like an interesting article, where did you find it? Can you provide a link?
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #16: May 10, 2010 02:19:31 pm
      Does no one remember the interview Torres gave a few months back, (when all we had was the europa leage) saying he wants to stay at liverpool for a very long time- champions league footie or not??

No amount of Interviews will stop the media bullshit!
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #17: May 10, 2010 02:19:39 pm
      "If I stay"

Thats what pisses me off about Rafa.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #18: May 10, 2010 02:22:48 pm
      I'd say Rafa staying depends solely on new owners been found, if not I think he will go.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #19: May 10, 2010 02:31:14 pm
      True True..

I must be honest i try to not read the media sh*te but then i get drawn in... MEDIA IT`S THE ROUTE OF ALL EVIL.. ;D. :-)

I've stopped reading newspapers. Sick of seeing bullshit on the back pages.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #20: May 10, 2010 02:32:53 pm
      "I have shown my commitment for years, and if I stay I am not thinking about selling Gerrard or Torres".

Correction:

Rafa has not said he wants to stay.

He has said

IF I stay.

Got the link to the story please?
      ynwa09
      • Forum Jari Litmanen
      • Started Topic

• 50 posts |
      Reply #21: May 10, 2010 02:41:04 pm
      Sure Eurored,

The link came from the lfc.tv website i`ve put the link here for you..!

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/rafa-we-want-to-keep-duo
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #22: May 10, 2010 02:43:20 pm
      Correction:

Rafa has not said he wants to stay.

He has said

IF I stay.

Got the link to the story please?

He actually did mate.

Asked if he wanted to remain as Liverpool manager, Benitez said: "Yes, it is always the same situation. I have wanted to stay and I would like to stay.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #23: May 10, 2010 02:46:41 pm
      Can't they just leave it as Rafa Wants To Stay? :D

"Nah, we'll lash a bit more uncertainty in now eh?" :roll:
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #24: May 10, 2010 02:58:46 pm

That's all and fair IF they do want to stay. Whether they do want to stay or leave is a different question. To be honest, I would be destraught if Nando and Stevie went, but I wouldn't blame them for doing so. Fernando came to Liverpool to compete and win trophies, just like every other player that went to Chelsea, Arsenal, the two manc team etc. Not that it is Rafa's fault, but this club is along way from regularly winning trophies and I think from any player's point of view they have to consider that as your football career doesn't last long, and every player wants it to be as successful as possible.

As for Stevie, I would applaud this man if he was in my presence. He has been by far our best player in the last decade and gives everything for Liverpool Football Club. However, I think that he's going to be sitting there thinking "If I'm the only one giving a toss about taking this club forward, then why should I bother? Why shouldn't I be at a club where there's 11 men on a park with the hunger to win?" Now don't get me wrong, this year we've had players who have played well (Pepe, Masch) and others who have been shocking, but we need more players like Nando, Stevie, Pepe and Masch in our side.

However, we all know the problem holding us back to get those players, two fat american c**ts who only care about how much money is in their wallets.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #25: May 10, 2010 03:09:15 pm
      No matter what players or the manager say, a newspaper will run a story the very next day telling us the opposite.

Broughton, while talking about the sale of the club and not players, said it perfectly - 'Ignore the media speculation'.
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #26: May 12, 2010 12:53:46 am
      Oh yes lets play in the media's hands again.........not at LFC you don't to??ers.
      3-star-wool
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 155 posts | -11 
      Reply #27: May 12, 2010 12:59:18 am
      I think Rafa staying on would be the final nail in the "Gerrard-leaving" coffin. He's more than served his time, if he fancies Madrid, good luck to him- he deserves a league title. Hope he will stay, but I just can't see it. Torres has more time on his side, and strangely fewer top clubs he could go to (Barca and Real Madrid aren't options to him like they are to Gerrard)... but again, if he didn't fancy another season of fighting for a top 4 place, you couldn't blame him.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #28: May 12, 2010 02:55:29 am
      Not necessarily,but if anyone of the "duo" was to leave it would be Gerrard. His time believe me is now done.A move abroad is the perfect solution for one of our great players.
      alliphone
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts | -32 
      Reply #29: May 12, 2010 05:11:29 am
      I think as far as remaining 4 years remaining contract is concern, Rafa should not publicly voice out his unhappines about what happen between him and the owner, like things have changed...
      Why he should do that?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #30: May 12, 2010 05:26:56 am
      I think as far as remaining 4 years remaining contract is concern, Rafa should not publicly voice out his unhappines about what happen between him and the owner, like things have changed...
      Why he should do that?

Because they are destroying our club! God damn you and your ignorance!! :mad:
      alliphone
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts | -32 
      Reply #31: May 12, 2010 05:39:24 am
      Because they are destroying our club! God damn you and your ignorance!! :mad:
      Your club? How much money have you invested?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #32: May 12, 2010 05:55:30 am

Don't be so F***ing pathetic. I know thats hard for you, but seriously :ontopic:
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      Reply #33: May 12, 2010 04:57:00 pm
      Anyone else think alliphone is Angelic in disguise??
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #34: May 12, 2010 05:01:55 pm
      Anyone else think alliphone is Angelic in disguise??

No I think they are secretly H&G hun.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #35: May 12, 2010 06:34:32 pm
      Personally...I think Rafa, Torres and Gerrard will all be here next season.

If any of the "big" players are to leave it will be Mascherano
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #36: May 12, 2010 06:40:05 pm

F**k me this guy knows NOTHING. Absolutely nothing. Knows F**k all about the owners, F**k all about Rafa and F**k all about Shankly.

He's got to be a WUM. I don't believe someone as ridiculous and ignorant as him can exist on a forum like this.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #37: May 12, 2010 06:42:53 pm
      Torres or Gerrard have never said they have any problem with Rafa, so why would they leave if he stays?
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #38: May 12, 2010 06:44:37 pm
      Torres or Gerrard have never said they have any problem with Rafa, so why would they leave if he stays?

Because the Daily Mirror says so about every other day. If the Mirror says it, it must be true.

/beingawhopper
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #39: May 12, 2010 11:22:21 pm
      Sure Eurored,

The link came from the lfc.tv website I`ve put the link here for you..!

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/rafa-we-want-to-keep-duo
      He actually did mate.

Ha.  Rafa he say

"I have shown my commitment for years, and if I stay I am not blah blah blah

and he say ....

" I have wanted to stay and I would like to stay" blah blah

Si Senor.

I think you speeky too mucho la Spanglais     El Commandante.

Este la San Miguel cervaza.

Facht.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #40: May 12, 2010 11:24:45 pm

Ha.  Rafa he say

"I have shown my commitment for years, and if I stay I am not blah blah blah

and he say ....

" I have wanted to stay and I would like to stay" blah blah

Si Senor.

I think you speeky too mucho la Spanglais     El Commandante.

Este la San Miguel cervaza.

Facht.

WTF?
      3-star-wool
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 155 posts | -11 
      Reply #41: May 13, 2010 02:22:22 am
      Personally...I think Rafa, Torres and Gerrard will all be here next season.

If any of the "big" players are to leave it will be Mascherano

I would say of those three players, Mascherano has the most faith/loyalty to Benitez. I don't think Benitez being at Anfield is a "plus" to either Gerrard or Torres. Of course the Yanks are far from a plus, and most names bandied round wouldn't be a major draw for Gerrard or Torres either. Mourinho (I know it's a dream) would be a huge plus to either player and could keep them single-handedly. But dreams aside, if Rijkaard takes over (as I expect him to) and the Yanks leave (which is probably a 50/50 chance this summer) I would hope that both Gerrard and Torres would give us one more year... but again they have earned the right not to invest another year of their very short careers in us.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #42: May 13, 2010 03:36:45 am
      My belief is always that if a player wants to leave and isn't commited to the club then pt no pot matter who they are that they should be allowed to leave....AS long as all proceeds from the sale our ploughed back into the club to buy replacements to add quality to the team. This club has been around along time and is greater than any individual. I support my beloved Liverpool football club not individuals
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #43: May 13, 2010 09:30:59 am
      ....AS long as all proceeds from the sale our ploughed back into the club to buy replacements to add quality to the team...

This is not happening at our club right? Sale proceeds are used to fund interest payments, or ahem - dividends to...yeah, the owners.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #44: May 13, 2010 10:31:59 am
      Hence the capitalised 'AS'...the point being in an ideal world all proceeds would be ploughed back into the team...
      Read the post properly before trying to be smart.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      Reply #45: May 13, 2010 11:49:15 am
      No one is leaving-

You all need to be prepared for this summer- and heaps of media bullshite, this summer will be the worst for it as our season was such a mess.

E.G: `Aquliani is leaving after one season` the s**!!
      Now we all know whatever they write is bullshite- but many other club suporters dont- and will leap at the oppourtunity to wind us up.
      Dont bite- and have some faith!!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1782 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #46: May 13, 2010 12:23:17 pm
      -- Ditto --

All will be staying, and Rafa will be wheeling & dealing, trying to get us the best free player's out there.

Good Times. !
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,241 posts | 8575 
      Reply #47: May 13, 2010 12:57:50 pm

I'll say it then, invested plenty with paying for a season ticket every year!!

Why he should do that?

Yeah cos the fans would still be in the dark with what the yanks are doing to our club if Rafa hadn't of opened his gob after Athens.

Funny how his little tirade against "senior officials" on Sunday after Hull has seen Purslow's personal bi*ch, David Maddock having a pop at Rafa in the Mirror.

Knew I was right about that little sh*t Purslow, but even Rafa knows it now!!
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #48: May 13, 2010 01:51:19 pm
      No one is leaving or going anywhere, all stories drummed up by the scums dominated press. Don't think Masc is going anywhere, he's so passionate about the club that got him into trouble in the last few games.
      3-star-wool
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 155 posts | -11 
      Reply #49: May 13, 2010 08:22:58 pm

Does anyone really believe this? I know some of us may "hope" no one is leaving... but actually believe that Benitez, Torres and Gerrard will all be there next season?!

There's a side to me that if that were to happen... while I would be impressed by their loyalty, I would really have to re-think my opinion on their ambition.

If it had to be any of the three, Christ let it be Benitez.

Sorry, I'm not a Fanboy.
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #50: May 13, 2010 08:41:53 pm

Yeah cos the fans would still be in the dark with what the yanks are doing to our club if Rafa hadn't of opened his gob after Athens.

Funny how his little tirade against "senior officials" on Sunday after Hull has seen Purslow's personal bi*ch, David Maddock having a pop at Rafa in the Mirror.

Some people are incapable of reading between the lines. To them everything in life is black and white. How i wish that were true. I had doubted Rafas sincerity at times during the season. But, there were specific games when you could see he looked like a broken man. That tells me enough about the bloke. He is one of us and should be given another chance to right the wrongs of this season. 
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #51: May 14, 2010 12:49:34 am
      its a very puxxling situation has rafa lost the respect of the players with all the variables involved anything is difficult to prove. but financially its better to keep him. also how many would leave with him if 20 of his people goi thats a big hit for the club. the club is caught between a rock and a hard place
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #52: May 14, 2010 01:34:48 am

Even worse than "crusty".Mate the man's a gobs***e.Broughton is trying to broker a deal to the advantage of the owners,Rafa's fighting a losing battle to keep us in top 4 contention.At some point this will have to stop.The "system" has always under-estimated Scousers.We must prevail.Time for SOS to take the lead,
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #53: May 14, 2010 01:41:46 am
      -- Ditto --

All will be staying, and Rafa will be wheeling & dealing, trying to get us the best free player's out there.

Good Times. !Mate no disrespect to you,but if we accept our lot is to sign whatever "free " players are available,then are we serios title contenders?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #54: May 14, 2010 02:06:24 pm
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/11/rafael-benitez-talks-liverpool-chairman

Rafael Benítez holds second round of talks on his Liverpool future

• Manager meets Martin Broughton to discuss transfer funds
      • Spaniard seeking guarantees before making decision

Rafael Benítez has held confidential talks with Liverpool's chairman, Martin Broughton, over his future at Anfield.

Rafael Benitez has held a second round of talks with the Liverpool chairman, Martin Broughton, as he seeks assurances that money will be available to revitalise the squad and challenge for a Champions League place next season.

The Liverpool manager met the British Airways chairman, who has been installed to sell the club on behalf of its co-owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, at Anfield today.

Both parties have agreed to keep their discussions confidential, although Benítez has said he wishes to continue as Liverpool manager providing the club can compete in the transfer market this summer. He wants guarantees that any money raised through player sales will be reinvested in the squad, even if those sums are inflated by the potential loss of their prize asset Fernando Torres.

Juventus are still awaiting a definitive answer from Benítez having courted the Spaniard all year and have now turned their attentions towards Luigi Del Neri of Sampdoria and the Fiorentina coach, Cesare Prandelli.
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #55: May 15, 2010 04:06:21 am
      I'm so p**ssed with the whole situation that I want everyone to leave and start afresh. I'm sure we have enough good young talent. We need someone who is ready to take the challenge to manage a young team and bring them to the fore. Take all of them who are glory hunters and throw em out. I don't mind losing games as long as we play with players who are giving their all out there. I much preferred the teams of the 90s that won nothing but gave it a good go every match they played in. That's why I support LFC. A certain match against Aston Villa where God turned Staunton and belted that Goal in made every cell of my body turn red. And who can forget those LFC-Newcastle matches?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,023 posts | 3352 
      Reply #56: May 21, 2010 03:17:01 pm
      Not sure if it's been posted yet or not elsewhere on the site, but here goes.

I'll Walk Alone - Gerrard

He'll walk alone: Steven Gerrard so fed up with Rafa Benitez he's ready to quit his beloved Liverpool

EXCLUSIVE By IAN LADYMAN
      Northern Football Correspondent

Last updated at 11:30 AM on 21st May 2010
      Comments (45)
      Add to My Stories

Liverpool fear that captain Steven Gerrard’s frustration with life under Rafael Benitez will see him leave Anfield this summer if he gets the right offer.

Gerrard has been a Liverpool player for more than 11 years, making more than 400 appearances for the club that he almost led to Barclays Premier League glory a year ago.

But Sportsmail understands that the Anfield hierarchy are concerned by the lack of a relationship between the midfielder and manager Benitez and fear he will look at other options this summer.

With Benitez’s game of bluff and counter-bluff with the Liverpool board over his future at an impasse, it seems likely that the Spaniard will still be at the club next season.

It is feared, however, that this will heighten Gerrard’s sense of gloom with regard to the future and many people at the club are thought to feel it unlikely that the next campaign will begin with both manager and captain on board.

Having missed out on Champions League qualification with a dismal seventh place League finish this season, Benitez and his players are aware that there is little money to spend on new talent, something that is a big worry to Gerrard as he looks to win the title at his beloved club.

With Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal cemented as the top three teams in the country and Tottenham and Manchester City ready to challenge again next season, Gerrard is aware that his chances of winning the title with Liverpool are remote.

It is understood that he feels Benitez has been given the chance to take Liverpool forward but, having failed to build on 2005’s amazing Champions League win, has not been able to take it.

Benitez and the Liverpool board are aware that star striker Fernando Torres is wondering whether his career could benefit from a move, but there is now a feeling that Gerrard is the player more likely to leave.

The 29-year-old remains frustrated that he has not won a League title and knows that time is running out. A move abroad is most likely to tempt him and Real Madrid will certainly be interested if Jose Mourinho takes over this summer.

Twice, in 2004 and 2005, Gerrard almost left Liverpool to join Mourinho at Chelsea and a move to Spain would be the perfect way out for the Liverpool skipper.

At home, Manchester City made their own tentative interest but realise Gerrard will not go to Eastlands despite not having to uproot his family.

A fee in excess of £25million for Gerrard would at least give Benitez room to manoeuvre in the transfer market.

But it is understood that support for Benitez in the dressing room is far from unanimous.

With Liverpool losing 10 League games last season, there is a feeling among some players that his tactics have lost direction and what will surprise many fans is that Torres has reservations about this, too.

The Spain striker has been a sensation in the three years he has spent at Anfield and is recognised as one of the best centre forwards in the world.

However, City and Chelsea have firm interest in him, too, and the 26-year-old has failed to declare that his future remains on Merseyside.

Behind the scenes, tension continues to exist between Benitez and the Liverpool chief
      executive Chrsitian Purslow.

Purslow is aware of the theory that Benitez was trying to strengthen his own position by allowing interest from Italian club Juventus to be known as the season reached its underwhelming climax.

He is also aware of how many important games last season were prefaced by comments from Benitez about his own position or future at the club.

With Italian champions Inter Milan the latest club to be linked with a move for Benitez, it appears that the furore over his future will not die down.

If he does stay then he will do so knowing that his transfer budget will be small. This will further frustrate a manager who is known to feel that he has not had sufficient cash to spend during his time at Anfield.

Liverpool have rejected a £9.5m offer from Juventus for midfielder Alberto Aquilani. The club are still unsure about Aquilani’s role with the squad next season but would want double that offer to consider selling.

The 25-year-old joined last summer from Roma in a £20m deal and Benitez would want to recoup that money to strengthen his squad.
      Juventus know Liverpool’s budget is tight and Benitez must generate cash but a swap deal involving Brazil midfielder Felipe Melo has also been mooted.

Aquilani’s agent Franco Zavaglia said: ‘It is not easy to bring him to Juventus. In this season, when he did not have ankle problems, he has always played and never had any problems with Benitez. So they won’t part with Aquilani unless they receive very heavy offers.’

Liverpool may raise cash by selling winger Albert Riera, who is wanted by German club Stuttgart.

Bradford City’s 14-year-old striker Callum Pilkington is poised to sign for Liverpool for an undisclosed fee.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1280028/Steven-Gerrard-fed-Rafa-Benitez-hes-ready-quit-beloved-Liverpool.html#ixzz0oZNazviD

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010 03:22:36 pm by dunlop liddell shankly »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #57: May 21, 2010 03:38:38 pm
      Seen it earlier and gave it no credicence due there being no direct quotes from the player, it's all speculation considering Milan rebuffed any claims that they wanted Rafa stating "Mourinho" is our manager, 9 million for Aquilani and no duirect quotes associated to Gerrard.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #58: May 21, 2010 06:39:52 pm
      I think Nando will give us another season but Gerrard I am not so sure of, it seems as if there are a few people whispering in his ear and who knows perhaps there is some mileage in him and Benitez not getting on, also Rafa has to watch his back when it comes to Purslow as he has his own agenda and there are one or two Journalist who are getting their information from the inside and for me there is only one candidate for that, the quicker we change hands the better off I'll feel as Purslow will not be needed then as whoever buys us will have their own man in place.
      Dancho
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts |
      Reply #59: May 21, 2010 11:11:59 pm
      Gerrard is an iconic figure for Liverpool, if he leaves I will be gutted and I would blame the the owners, the manager, the world in that order. I will in no way blame Gerrard himself though. If there is one thing that is for sure - that is that Gerrard loves the club, however life is pretty cruel for professional footballers in a few years time he will be mr. Nobody so time is ticking pretty fast for him, he should do what is best for him.

With that said this news seems kind of strange to me. I really doubt it that Gerrard has taken some decision or in other way produced 'a news' while in the Alps training with the English squad. Most probably some English media bull**it again.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,241 posts | 8575 
      Reply #60: May 22, 2010 10:24:11 pm
      Hmmmm not a quote in sight and another scurrilous sh*t-stirring story from Ian Ladyman of The Mail.

Anyone would think after last Sunday, they'd leave this type of sh*t alone.

Quick Reply