Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Former Red retires at 35

Read 1505 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6948 
      Former Red retires at 35
      Jun 12, 2007 06:04:35 pm
      Personally, never liked the guy - one of the original Spice Boys

Jason McAteer has decided to call time on his professional career, according to his former club Liverpool.

McAteer was released by Tranmere Rovers at the end of the season and has now decided the time is right to hang up his boots.

The 35-year-old enjoyed a 15-year career in English football, joining Bolton in 1992 before moving onto Liverpool, Blackburn, Sunderland and then Tranmere.

After reaching a League Cup final with The Trotters in 1995, McAteer then made the switch to Anfield where he became known as a member of the 'Spice Boys' under Roy Evans.

Along with team-mates such as Jamie Redknapp, Stan Collymore and Steve McManaman, the versatile performer arrived at Wembley again in 1996 draped in a cream suit, before Manchester United famously secured a 1-0 win in the FA Cup final.

McAteer also won 52 caps for Republic of Ireland, with his most famous moment on the international scene coming in September 2001 when he scored the only goal of the game against Holland at Lansdowne Road to send his country on the road to the World Cup finals.
      bruno7
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts |
      Re: Former Red retires at 35
      Reply #1: Jun 13, 2007 05:10:09 pm
      I always liked Jason, Wish him all the best for his Future, Im sure he'll end up on TV or somthing, Steve McMamamen will be working on Satanta next season maybe the two boys on there? :P
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #2: Jun 13, 2007 06:37:08 pm
      Apparently he's applied for the managers job at Northwich Victoria. He was considered the thickest player in our team & was nicknamed 'Trigger', could he really cut it as a manager?
      « Last Edit: Jun 14, 2007 11:47:02 am by EddieC »
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #3: Jun 13, 2007 06:58:10 pm
      I always liked Jason, Wish him all the best for his Future, Im sure he'll end up on TV or somthing, Steve McMamamen will be working on Satanta next season maybe the two boys on there? :P

Excellent.  You've just convinced me NOT to pay £15 a month for Setanta.

McAteer was a half-decent player, but he had a big head what with being from the original 'family of hard knocks'.

Good luck in his future, as long as it doesn't involve any position at our club.
      bruno7
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts |
      Reply #4: Jun 14, 2007 11:02:17 am
      Excellent.  You've just convinced me NOT to pay £15 a month for Setanta.

McAteer was a half-decent player, but he had a big head what with being from the original 'family of hard knocks'.

Good luck in his future, as long as it doesn't involve any position at our club.

His LFC days he was to big for his boots at times, I don't want him getting a position at LFC either (Nor do I think he will)

But I would enjoy watching him on TV, better than those tits we're currently stuck with!!

All in all my Resepct for him comes from the charity events he was involved with in recents years, and him shooting Ireland to world cup in '02 Aswell as him being a Player I Loved as a kid for Liverpool
      vydex
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | -5 
      Reply #5: Jun 14, 2007 11:15:38 am
      He always came across as having a great sense of humour to me and the way he organised that Tsuami fund raising game was a great accolade to his career. However for me his most memorable moment was when Bono from U2 shouted his name to 100,000 people at a  U2 concert after he had scored for the Republic of Ireland. This is a shame as I dont really remember him doing anything that stands out as a player while playing for us.
      bruno7
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts |
      Reply #6: Jun 14, 2007 11:20:41 am
      He always came across as having a great sense of humour to me and the way he organised that Tsuami fund raising game was a great accolade to his career. However for me his most memorable moment was when Bono from U2 shouted his name to 100,000 people at a  U2 concert after he had scored for the Republic of Ireland. This is a shame as I dont really remember him doing anything that stands out as a player while playing for us.
      That is true, Iv watch most of his Career at Club and International level, and His best games i ever seen him play was in that Qualiffing Campagn for korea/Japan world cup with Ireland, That goal against Holland was just something else
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #7: Jun 16, 2007 11:23:20 pm
      Being honest here but I never really rated Jase the Ace, as one of my dad's mates sarcastically called him, at our club, but I think one of his best games was the first 4-3 against newcastle.

Although loved listening to him trying to defend some of the bunkers in the day after Athens, especially when the SSN presenters were going ape-sh*t over it  :o

Plus I think he also helped arrange the Tsunami charity game at anfield - so fair play to the lad for that!
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #8: Jun 16, 2007 11:28:56 pm
      he played 150 games for Liverpool and its sad to say never set the world a light, I think he must of saved his best performances for the Republic of Ireland and that bloody shampoo advert
      banksiemagic
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Reply #9: Jun 17, 2007 10:09:17 am
      is he not coaching the junior reserve team at Tranmere or something? i met Jason quite a few times as his little brother played sunday league with my cousin's lad & most weeks he'd be there supporting. he always seemed like a decent enough bloke. good luck to him in whatever he does next i say.

Quick Reply