Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Xavi Hernandez of FC Barcelona

Read 6918 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Xavi Hernandez of FC Barcelona
      Reply #23: Feb 11, 2011 05:50:34 pm
      Carlos Tevez is far from light-weight!!

But he's far from tall too. And many doubted his potential in England before he arrived (after his first months in London too, no wonder why he was at West Ham's bench for a while).

Even Luis Suarez mentioned that he used to think his game would be better suited to the Spanish or Italian leagues, until Tevez success in England.

"If Tevez can play there, than I think I can, too", or something like that. But of course Tevez can play there, he could be great anywhere, he's too f***in good.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #24: Feb 11, 2011 05:52:10 pm
      People were saying Spain games were boring, but it was as Xavi said, other teams set up against Spain is what made their games boring.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #25: Feb 11, 2011 05:52:17 pm
      You could say that about a lot of players. Few of who are in Xavis league

So if you're one of the best in the world you can go about saying whatever you want?

Not for me. He crossed the line on the Cesc ordeal.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #26: Feb 11, 2011 05:53:09 pm
      I love when he talks about the physical players and that, although you need some of them, the focus has to be the talent. That's one thing I've always said here, and one that's always bothered me a bit since I started to discuss football in English forums. Anyone who isn't tall or strong is questioned (someone just said in the transfer board that Marin might be too small for the EPL). "Lightweight" is one of the favorite words. And it comes from fans of a club that had a player like Michael Owen shining with his talent, irrespective of how big he was (or Benayoun, Luis Garcia, to cite other examples). A club that plays in a league where Carlos Tevez scores 20 goals a season. Obviously the physicality of the game has to be taken into account but there's way too much focus on that IMO.

Spot on. I think they're are tons of players who are quality, gifted with an abundance of talent and skill and hardly the biggest of players. Wilshere, Fabregas, Owen, Benayoun, and Garcia are some who have succeeded in the English league. I'm convinced Messi would as well.

Even the Spain Nation Team hardly has big players. I would think Torres is their tallest player.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,264 posts | 2825 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #27: Feb 11, 2011 05:56:33 pm
      So if you're one of the best in the world you can go about saying whatever you want?

Not for me. He crossed the line on the Cesc ordeal.

Pretty sure it was our Reina who who helped with organising the pic of Fabregas in the Barce shirt with the Spain set up so has he crossed your line too?

Seems a well answered interview from a top top player
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #28: Feb 11, 2011 05:57:56 pm
      As Jonathan Wilson pointed out in his blog a few days ago, Barcelona's squad has the shortest average height in the entire continent.

It says a lot to me.

Link if anyone is interested: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/jan/26/european-football-survey
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #29: Feb 11, 2011 05:58:56 pm
      Pretty sure it was our Reina who who helped with organising the pic of Fabregas in the Barce shirt with the Spain set up so has he crossed your line too?

Exactly, double standards much?
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #30: Feb 11, 2011 06:07:23 pm

Not at all. I can't stand when our players go on about other team's players. It's nonsense and today's football it happens all the F***ing time.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #31: Feb 11, 2011 08:42:21 pm
      Very complimentary about Liverpool fans in his interview, would love him here but then so would every football fan in the world like him at there club
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #32: Feb 12, 2011 01:23:19 pm
      Xavi said: "I have never seen anything like the supporters there. We won 3-1 at Liverpool once and we were applauded off the pitch, and Liverpool were as well.
      "All the players who go to England to play come back saying wonderful things about it, the fans, the people. I think I would have liked it."

nice words :)
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #33: Feb 12, 2011 01:33:42 pm
      Never too late to come over for a season or two Xavi ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #34: Feb 12, 2011 01:33:44 pm
      He's a bloody wannabe Manc!! ;)

Great interview in all seriousness.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #35: Feb 12, 2011 01:38:53 pm
      Xavi will stay in Spain till he retires. Second best player on the planet.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #36: Feb 12, 2011 01:41:45 pm
      I love that quote from Pep Guadiola, very early in Xavi's career. He said that Xavi would retire him, but Iniesta would then retire Xavi. Xavi is a Barca boy, gonna retire there.
      Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #37: Feb 23, 2011 07:41:31 pm
      This guys ability with the ball at his feet is absolutely phenomenal, he will defo see out his career at barca

Quick Reply