Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

MP: Liverpool council must help Everton to 'stay in the city'

Read 3617 times
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      MP: Liverpool council must help Everton to 'stay in the city'
      Jun 13, 2007 05:46:51 pm
      By some bluenose MP

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/6747635.stm

Liverpool Council is being urged to do all it can to keep Everton football ground within the city perimeter.

The Premiership club is considering moving to a new purpose-built stadium in neighbouring Knowsley.

Former Labour Minister Peter Kilfoyle said the city council had failed to offer the club any "realistic sites" for its proposed stadium in Liverpool.

But the authority said it had discussed two possible sites with the club and was keen for it to stay in the city.

In a Commons motion on Wednesday, the MP praised Knowsley Council for its "positive" backing.

An Everton fan, whose Walton constituency covers Goodison Park, Mr Kilfoyle is now urging the city to provide "meaningful support" for what he says is a "local, national and international club."

'Exclusivity agreement'

Knowsley Council is carrying out a public consultation on its regeneration plans, which include Everton's move to Kirkby.

The club could build a 55,000-seater ground in a town centre development that will also include shops, a hotel and a supermarket.

Everton FC said an alternative to Goodison Park would increase capacity and improve corporate facilities.

A Liverpool City Council spokesman said: "We are keen to see Everton stay in the city and we have discussed two potential sites with the club that we believe could meet their needs.

"Everton have an exclusivity agreement with Knowsley which means that they are concentrating on exploring that option at the moment, but we are in regular contact with the club."
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: MP: Liverpool council must help Everton to 'stay in the city'
      Reply #1: Jun 13, 2007 06:00:50 pm
      An Everton fan, whose Walton constituency covers Goodison Park, Mr Kilfoyle is now urging the city to provide "meaningful support" for what he says is a "local, national and international club."

:D :D :D

I have to agree though, any club should stay in the town/city it originates from. I know it's hardly moving to Milton Keynes, but it will be extra travel for the majority of fans.

Of course, it's all our fault. Everton were actually going to build their own 60,000 seater on Stanley Park before we nicked the idea off them :D
      « Last Edit: Jun 13, 2007 06:31:34 pm by EddieC »
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #2: Jun 13, 2007 06:03:36 pm
      By some bluenose MP

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/6747635.stm

Liverpool Council is being urged to do all it can to keep Everton football ground within the city perimeter.

The Premiership club is considering moving to a new purpose-built stadium in neighbouring Knowsley.

Former Labour Minister Peter Kilfoyle said the city council had failed to offer the club any "realistic sites" for its proposed stadium in Liverpool.

But the authority said it had discussed two possible sites with the club and was keen for it to stay in the city.

In a Commons motion on Wednesday, the MP praised Knowsley Council for its "positive" backing.

'Exclusivity agreement'

Knowsley Council is carrying out a public consultation on its regeneration plans, which include Everton's move to Kirkby.

The club could build a 55,000-seater ground in a town centre development that will also include shops, a hotel and a supermarket.

Everton FC said an alternative to Goodison Park would increase capacity and improve corporate facilities.

A Liverpool City Council spokesman said: "We are keen to see Everton stay in the city and we have discussed two potential sites with the club that we believe could meet their needs.

"Everton have an exclusivity agreement with Knowsley which means that they are concentrating on exploring that option at the moment, but we are in regular contact with the club."

I'll give them some meaningful support - they can have one ;D ;D ;D of me bras ! 
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3: Jun 13, 2007 10:43:15 pm
      Where would they be moving to?! Kirkby? Where in the world is that ???
      I know they are Everscum but they should stay in their home City!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #4: Jun 13, 2007 11:24:41 pm
      I'll give them some meaningful support - they can have one ;D ;D ;D of me bras ! 

:lmao: :lmao:
      I think the majority of their fans belong in bras don't they Smigger? ;) ;D

Where would they be moving to?! Kirkby? Where in the world is that ???
      I know they are Everscum but they should stay in their home City!

Tell anyone from Kirkby they're not from Liverpool Nic and they probably wouldn't be too happy. It's about a 15 minute drive from Anfield but it is officially classed in the area of Knowsley. So it wouldn't be too hard for their fans to go the match would it.

Nevermind Liverpool City Council helping them "stay in the city"! Why can't they help themselves stay in the city??!! Are they a charity case and are not able to put the work into staying in the city?
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #5: Jun 13, 2007 11:29:06 pm
      Not very far but crucially for the Evertonian's it is not in 'Liverpool' city council but 'Knowsley' metropolitan borough council.

You know, where the Knowsley Safari Park is.  Hey maybe all the baboons will be looking for someone to mate with, there will be plenty of choice among the 34,000 or so who turn up.

(PS. Their ground is actually a mile or so closer to Kirkby than this Google Map.  Goodison Park is actually nearer Anfield on the map than 'Everton' the place.

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: Jun 13, 2007 11:36:03 pm
      You know, where the Knowsley Safari Park is.  Hey maybe all the baboons will be looking for someone to mate with, there will be plenty of choice among the 34,000 or so who turn up.

:laughing-smiley-014: Too funny!!!!!!!!
      afif212_reds
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 180 posts |
      Reply #7: Jun 14, 2007 05:21:38 am
      Hahaha!!!!
      Naza05
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #8: Jun 14, 2007 08:29:00 am

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Nice one Smiggs
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #9: Jun 14, 2007 09:55:58 am
      Tell anyone from Kirkby they're not from Liverpool Nic and they probably wouldn't be too happy. It's about a 15 minute drive from Anfield but it is officially classed in the area of Knowsley. So it wouldn't be too hard for their fans to go the match would it.

Nevermind Liverpool City Council helping them "stay in the city"! Why can't they help themselves stay in the city??!! Are they a charity case and are not able to put the work into staying in the city?
      Sorry.. I'm crap at geography and stuff like that.

But if LCC wanna move them, won't they get moved anyway ?

Quick Reply