Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Javier Mascherano (Barcelona/Inter Milan)

Read 94693 times
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Re: Javier Mascherano (Barcelona/Inter Milan)
      Reply #1104: Aug 27, 2010 11:30:46 am
      so not getting hleb as part of the deal then.

Good - He's sh*t
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #1105: Aug 27, 2010 11:33:38 am
      Up until then I could more or less understand him wanting to leave for personal reasons - not every player dreams of playing for the Reds after all. But the lack of respect he's shown by basically holding the club to ransom I can't forgive.

All that needs to be said.

If he'd played against City and given it his all and then left with respect and dignity, he'd still be looked at as a hero in my eyes.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #1106: Aug 27, 2010 11:33:47 am
      Barca know how to trade dont they.....

"Heres Ya Ya Toure for £24m....we can get a better player for around £16m from those cash strapped wankers in Liverpool who can do a better job in the same position"

"Si....everyones a winner"

How sh*t are we at transfers though seriously how many years have we laughed at our total ineptitude when it comes to transfers.
      iwantfernandosbabies
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #1107: Aug 27, 2010 11:37:34 am
      Sad to see a great player leave and do it the way he did. But let's put our thinking caps on for a minute here...

What would we get by keeping masch in reserves/on the bench? Nothing, other than serving our own pride. A despondent player, lowering morale and being paid handsomely every week to do so.

What do we get by letting him go? 20 million (if dumb & dumber don't keep it all, that is!) to bring in a player or two who actually want to play for us, and boosting morale.

I don't like the whole player power thing. It's their job and they should do what they're told. But if masch really did leave primarily for his family (rather handy that its to barca mind you) then I have to respect that.

Yes he had 2 years left on his contract, and yes we turned him into the player he is. But we should all remember that he pleaded to leave last summer for his family, was made to stay, and deserves huge credit for putting his personal issues to one side and giving us a very, very good season. Milner was lauded for giving villa ONE good last game before moving to man city (a move which was primarily for money). Well masch gave us a season's worth of good games, despite wanting to move for more understandable reasons than milner.

I think we need to give him more credit than we have been.

Thanks for a great 3 seasons masch, sad to see you go but I wish him the best. No point being bitter, let's move on and see who we can bring in with the cash!
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1108: Aug 27, 2010 11:42:34 am
      What cash that has already being promised to RBS.
      iwantfernandosbabies
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #1109: Aug 27, 2010 11:44:06 am
      We don't know that for sure...
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1110: Aug 27, 2010 11:47:12 am
      Ah come on man wake up, where did the Robbie Keane money go, where did the Alonso money go where did the January money go from the sales of Dossena, Voronin and San Jose(When Purslow told us there was no value in the January market).

To many Liverpool fans are ignorant to what is going on or in denial.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #1111: Aug 27, 2010 11:48:37 am
      Like Ross, I too had Mascherano on my 08/10 home shirt, but now it looks like I'll have to get rid of that one.

It's a shame how he's went out really, if he just decided to play against City and not be a stroppy c**t then he would have left the club with his dignity and respect from Liverpool fans, but as it happens he's gone down the same road as Riera and now he'll be remembered for by the fans (including myself) as a player who showed no respect to the club rather than the monster in the midfield for the past 3 years.

So yeah, well done Masch. You've completely ruined your Liverpool career in the space of what, 5 days?

Oh and I hope Alonso fucks him up in the derby.
      iwantfernandosbabies
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #1112: Aug 27, 2010 11:52:09 am
      I assure you i know very well what's going on.

All that money has disappeared, and it's sickening. But i think the personal guarantee on the loan is a slightly different matter.

Wasn't it hicks who said jan was a 'poor value market'? And to be fair, the alonso money wen't on johnson and aqua did it not?

If it gets to this time next week and we've signed no-one then i'll accept i am wrong.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1113: Aug 27, 2010 12:06:24 pm
      Hicks told us that so the january money could disappear, must of the Alonso money went on paying the debt. Leto and Arbeloa where also sold last Summer while Johnson was bought from Portsmouth due to them still owing us a large amount of money still from the Crouch deal, the Aquilani deal was a very small amount paid intially the rest being based on appearances and on Liverpool winning things which is not going to happen now and probably some of the reason he left.

Where do you think Hicks and Gillette are going to come up with the money on October the 6th. It aint going to be out of there own pockets. Nemeth agent made the most telling comment recently.

He said Nemeth left for Financial reasons not footballing reasons.

We are working at the moment of about £26 million profit from this transfer window.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #1114: Aug 27, 2010 12:06:40 pm
      Why is it that we never get the value for our players that others seem to get, something seriously wrong in that dept.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #1115: Aug 27, 2010 12:10:52 pm
      I have a good idea that i am going to get slated for this but here goes..yeah balme him for stabbing us in the bck....and blame barca for their dirty tactict...but ffs blame the dickhead who sanctioned this move...we are all talking about  valuation of 20 m...bullshit, he is one of the best midfielders in the world and we got him there, he is worth a good 30mill and we let him go for basically fck all. Blame the club for not sticking to their guns...

Waits for abuse and "he wanted to go...they could do anything else...blah blah bla...
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1116: Aug 27, 2010 12:16:37 pm
      No your dead right staffle, the club is currently run like a league 2 side.

The owners were worried if they didn't sell him by the end of the transfer windows where would they find money to give to the banks so they paniced and took what Barc were offering.
      KopiteKid
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts |
      • Scouse Solidarność
      Reply #1117: Aug 27, 2010 12:16:43 pm
      "Liverpool Football Club have agreed terms for the transfer of Javier Mascherano to FC Barcelona."

If it's anything less than £25million I'm gonna fume, F***ing sick of foreign clubs as well as the media over there basically doing the players thinking for them. They had a Spanish tabloid on SSN yesterday, basically listed the ins-and-outs of Masch's 'new contract' for Barca.

bas**rds   :f_steam:
      iwantfernandosbabies
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #1118: Aug 27, 2010 12:16:48 pm
      Apologies - i didn't mean we were obviously going to spend this summer because hicks said so. Just meant i thought it was hicks who said that in jan and not purslime.

Like i said, if we don't sign anyone in the next week i'll fully accept i've got it wrong.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1119: Aug 27, 2010 12:21:11 pm
      Do you trust our board because I don't more and more money has disappeared from the club, where is the Standard Charter money gone, where is the £20 million that Purslow has said is available every season to spend gone.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #1120: Aug 27, 2010 12:31:28 pm
      Enjoy warming the bench watching Sergio Busquets..........

Xavi and Iniesta might teach you how to score from midfield though..........in training  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #1121: Aug 27, 2010 12:46:00 pm
      Another £17M for the debt repayment.

F***ing joke.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1122: Aug 27, 2010 12:54:43 pm
      Probably my favourite player over the past 3 years and could understand why he wanted to go but fookin disgusted how he went about it
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1123: Aug 27, 2010 12:59:57 pm
      £17.25m

No a penny less than £25m Have I missed something??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8948564.stm

Barca to sign Liverpool's Javier Mascherano for £17.25m
      Liverpool have sold midfielder Javier Mascherano to Barcelona for about £17.25m, BBC Sport understands.

The deal is subject to the 26-year-old Argentina captain passing a medical with the Catalan giants.

Barcelona confirmed on their website: "The clubs have reached an agreement in principle for the transfer of Mascherano for the next four seasons."

"Barcelona will report the details once the player passes the medical and the transfer is concluded."

And the Barca statement continued: "The deal was closed after intensive efforts made by the club in the final hours and through the player himself in the negotiations.

"It is hoped Javier Mascherano will arrive in Barcelona this weekend."

Liverpool had been keen to recoup the £18m they paid for former River Plate midfielder Mascherano when he arrived from West Ham.

The Anfield outfit had rejected an initial bid of £16m from Barcelona seven days ago but he subsequently missed Monday's defeat by Manchester City and Thursday's trip to Trabzonspor, where Liverpool secured a place in the group stages of the Europa League with a 3-1 aggregate win.

Mascherano joined Liverpool from West Ham in 2007, initially on a loan deal that was turned into a four-year contract in 2008.

Barcelona failed in an attempt to lure him to Spain last summer but on his return from the World Cup in July, Mascherano made it clear he wanted to leave Anfield, saying his wife could not settle in England.
      Since taking charge of Liverpool in July, manager Roy Hodgson had been eager to end the uncertainty surrounding Mascherano's future.

"I am seriously hoping that in the next couple of days it will be sorted out one way or another," stated Hodgson on Thursday. "Although I have no idea which way that will be."

Liverpool have also received a bid for Mascherano from Inter Milan, now coached by Hodgson's Reds predecessor Rafael Benitez.

But former Fulham boss Hodgson dismissed the offer from the Italian side saying: "We received a fax about Mascherano [from Inter], but it was a joke fax."

Meanwhile, Inter have also been linked with a move for Liverpool forward Dirk Kuyt.

However, following the victory over Trabzonspor the Dutch World Cup finalist committed his future to Anfield.

"I have had a great time here so far and hope my future here will be great as well and that I can win trophies with Liverpool," said Kuyt.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #1124: Aug 27, 2010 01:01:43 pm
      £17.25m

No a penny less than £25m Have I missed something??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8948564.stm

Barca to sign Liverpool's Javier Mascherano for £17.25m
      Liverpool have sold midfielder Javier Mascherano to Barcelona for about £17.25m, BBC Sport understands.

The deal is subject to the 26-year-old Argentina captain passing a medical with the Catalan giants.

Barcelona confirmed on their website: "The clubs have reached an agreement in principle for the transfer of Mascherano for the next four seasons."

"Barcelona will report the details once the player passes the medical and the transfer is concluded."

And the Barca statement continued: "The deal was closed after intensive efforts made by the club in the final hours and through the player himself in the negotiations.

"It is hoped Javier Mascherano will arrive in Barcelona this weekend."

Liverpool had been keen to recoup the £18m they paid for former River Plate midfielder Mascherano when he arrived from West Ham.

The Anfield outfit had rejected an initial bid of £16m from Barcelona seven days ago but he subsequently missed Monday's defeat by Manchester City and Thursday's trip to Trabzonspor, where Liverpool secured a place in the group stages of the Europa League with a 3-1 aggregate win.

Mascherano joined Liverpool from West Ham in 2007, initially on a loan deal that was turned into a four-year contract in 2008.

Barcelona failed in an attempt to lure him to Spain last summer but on his return from the World Cup in July, Mascherano made it clear he wanted to leave Anfield, saying his wife could not settle in England.
      Since taking charge of Liverpool in July, manager Roy Hodgson had been eager to end the uncertainty surrounding Mascherano's future.

"I am seriously hoping that in the next couple of days it will be sorted out one way or another," stated Hodgson on Thursday. "Although I have no idea which way that will be."

Liverpool have also received a bid for Mascherano from Inter Milan, now coached by Hodgson's Reds predecessor Rafael Benitez.

But former Fulham boss Hodgson dismissed the offer from the Italian side saying: "We received a fax about Mascherano [from Inter], but it was a joke fax."

Meanwhile, Inter have also been linked with a move for Liverpool forward Dirk Kuyt.

However, following the victory over Trabzonspor the Dutch World Cup finalist committed his future to Anfield.

"I have had a great time here so far and hope my future here will be great as well and that I can win trophies with Liverpool," said Kuyt.

F***ing Joke
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #1125: Aug 27, 2010 01:10:01 pm
      This is depressing... with no players coming in part exchange this makes me think we won't see any of the money reinvested in the squad.... It will be going straight to H&G's debt :(
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1126: Aug 27, 2010 01:21:55 pm
      What a F***ing snip that is, Milner went for £25 million remember Masch is the captain of Argentina, Milner can't get on the England team. There is only 2 years between them.

We are obviously desperate for money and clubs like Barc are aware of it, come January clubs like City and Barc will come looking for Torres and will probably offer peanuts as well and we will accept it.

Quick Reply