Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Attitude 101: Player going on strike in order to force a move

Read 2532 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Attitude 101: Player going on strike in order to force a move
      Aug 27, 2010 09:33:37 am
      Player going on strike to force a move

Liverpool and Newcastle United are waiting to see who has won the race for Marseille winger Hatem Ben Arfa, following the news that the 23-year-old has gone on strike in order to force a move to the Premier League.  (Daily Mail)

http://Link

Alonso did it; Mascherano did it too, so also that lazy Man U striker from Tottenham.

I don't like that attitude. Where can we draw the line between a player's contractual obligations and his desires?

I think clubs should reject that attitude as it is poor. It should also attract a FIFA ban.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Re: Attitude 101: Player going on strike in order to force a move
      Reply #1: Aug 27, 2010 09:41:00 am
      Once again, sadly, this is down to money ruining our sport.

Masch shouldn’t of gone, we should have been stubborn enough to bench him and let him rot in the reserves.  But its like an owner of a Ferrari, who is poor, garaging it and never using it.  It just wont work.

Player power has got ridiculous. Blame agents, blame the club and blame the player.

Football no longer is a sport of skill and a working class game, its gone beyond that.

It’s a sport where wannabe’s get their much needed front page, or a double spread in the gossip section.

Less and less players are coming into the sport with real passion for the game.

And I, sadly, am slowly loosing interest and getting sick of it all.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #2: Aug 27, 2010 01:01:19 pm
      The lack of discipline and total disregard for contractual obligations is astounding. When Berbatov was shown amongst spectators watching the Tottenham game; and the Commentator talked about how he has refused to play for Tottenham in order to force a move to Man U; it was disgusting. he shouldn't have been allowed the luxury of moving to the next club without something like a 7-game ban without pay.

So much talk about respect for referees; this new antics of players wanting out of their contractual obligations is gonna get really big and bad.

No one is really slamming the attitude yet.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Aug 27, 2010 01:22:43 pm
      Uefa should ban them from playing First Team and International football for 12 months. They have a contract, a very lucrative one too. EARN your money.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #4: Aug 27, 2010 05:00:47 pm
      Uefa should ban them from playing First Team and International football for 12 months. They have a contract, a very lucrative one too. EARN your money.

Agree but it will never happen

Power used to be with the Managers its now with the agents
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #5: Aug 27, 2010 05:30:43 pm
      Hope we don't sign him to be honest.

Honour your F***ing contract, shouldn't sign it in the first place if you're just gonna try and F**k off halfway through it.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #6: Aug 27, 2010 05:47:27 pm
      That attitude is disgusting!

At the end of the day- regarding Masch- LFC made him the world-class player he is today, we pay his F***ing wages, he should do as he is F***ing told!
      Roy should have rejected all offers under 25mil, and let him train on his own & play with the reserves.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #7: Aug 27, 2010 05:48:23 pm
      He has agreed to go to NUFC

I posted a video of him and diaby having a fight
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #8: Aug 27, 2010 05:53:13 pm
      Wheres your video?
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #9: Aug 27, 2010 05:54:25 pm
      Don77

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Reply #10: Aug 27, 2010 08:57:40 pm
      TBH I hate so much about the way Football has gone. There is no sense of reality left in football anymore. It is no longer a sport, it is a business.

Whether it be chairman with no patience, fickle supporters or most of all greedy fatcat selfish disloyal players, football is not the game it used to be.

Players are happy to kiss the badge, sign contracts paid for by working class supporters and then treat us with complete and utter contempt. To refuse to play is a disgrace but not surprising in todays 'business'

Its all about money now. Football has lost its soul. Things like s*y trying to make it exciting my having the 'big 4' playing eachother on the same weekend etc is laughable. Despite a rare exception which of the 'big boys' is going to win the FA Cup this season? The top clubs could get to the quarters with their reserve teams if they avoid eachother.

I remember the day Blackburn signed Chris Sutton for 5m and made him the highest payed player in the country on £12000 a week. I remember saying to my dad that football was on the slide.

Todays 'spectacle' if you can call it that is a premonition come true. The game will go POP one day in the future. But even when that happens, the game I grew up watching will never return.

Rip-off prices, overpayed fatcat lazy selfish disloyal players, moaning managers every week in the press, interfering agents, diving, cheating, feigning injury, unsporting behaviour.

What a game to be proud of eh?

Just not the game I grew up watching.

Rant over...
      « Last Edit: Aug 27, 2010 09:57:36 pm by MsGerrard »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #11: Aug 27, 2010 09:05:46 pm
      When you have a contract to play for a club - i feel if you break that by refusing to play or other un-sportsman like acts, then you should come under serious scrutiny. Masch should have been fined for his attitude.

F***ing hate modern footy sometimes.
      Don77

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Reply #12: Aug 27, 2010 09:09:16 pm
      When you have a contract to play for a club - I feel if you break that by refusing to play or other un-sportsman like acts, then you should come under serious scrutiny. Masch should have been fined for his attitude.

F***ing hate modern footy sometimes.

Can you imagine if we turned around and said ' we are not paying you ' He would have had us for breach of contract. As I said, you may as well can it the FA Business League now or The FA Billionaireship!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #13: Aug 27, 2010 09:21:35 pm
      Can you imagine if we turned around and said ' we are not paying you ' He would have had us for breach of contract. As I said, you may as well can it the FA Business League now or The FA Billionaireship!

If a player is not playing due to not being happy and wanting a move, then they are also in breach of contract IMO. Catch 22 there.

Agreed though, its not the working class game i fell in love with when i saw Liverpool highlights when i was younger.

Love the team, the club - hate what the game as a whole has become.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #14: Aug 27, 2010 09:57:03 pm
      TBH I hate so much about the way Football has gone. There is no sense of reality left in football anymore. It is no longer a sport, it is a business.

Whether it be chairman with no patience, fickle supporters or most of all greedy fatcat selfish disloyal players, football is not the game it used to be.

Players are happy to kiss the badge, sign contracts paid for by working class supporters and then treat us with complete and utter contempt. To refuse to play is a disgrace but not surprising in todays 'business'

Its all about money now. Football has lost its soul. Things like s*y trying to make it exciting my having the 'big 4' playing eachother on the same weekend etc is laughable. Despite a rare exception which of the 'big boys' is going to win the FA Cup this season? The top clubs could get to the quarters with their reserve teams if they avoid eachother.

I remember the day Blackburn signed Chris Sutton for 5m and made him the highest payed player in the country on £12000 a week. I remember saying to my dad that football was on the slide.

Todays 'spectacle' if you can call it that is a premonition come true. The game will go POP one day in the future. But even when that happens, the game I grew up watching will never return.

Rip-off prices, overpayed fatcat lazy selfish disloyal players, moaning managers every week in the press, interfering agents, diving, cheating, feigning injury, unsporting behaviour.

What a game to be proud of eh?

Just not the game I grew up watching.

Rant over...

Couldn't agree more Don, things ain't what they used to be, and they never will be again.

Agents have to much control over what players do and where they move to.

There's far to much money involved nowadays and it's ruined the 'sport'
      fraquar
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts | -1 
      Reply #15: Aug 27, 2010 10:05:57 pm
      The only hope left in todays game is that you build that "loyalty" from within with homegrown players.  Teams that chase the next big money signing are basically living on borrowed time.  Granted, some teams have more "time" than others.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16: Aug 27, 2010 10:07:22 pm
      Once again, sadly, this is down to money ruining our sport.

Masch shouldn’t of gone, we should have been stubborn enough to bench him and let him rot in the reserves.  But its like an owner of a Ferrari, who is poor, garaging it and never using it.  It just wont work.

Player power has got ridiculous. Blame agents, blame the club and blame the player.

Football no longer is a sport of skill and a working class game, its gone beyond that.

It’s a sport where wannabe’s get their much needed front page, or a double spread in the gossip section.

Less and less players are coming into the sport with real passion for the game.

And I, sadly, am slowly loosing interest and getting sick of it all.

Is it really our sport these days? I don't think it is. Football is corrupt throughout. And it has corrupted the minds - just look at those disgusting fatcat gold chasing players like Mascherano. It's wrong. You'll be hard pressed to find a decent honourable gentleman in football these days I'm afraid. The only people who can change it is the governing bodies, and sadly FIFA and UEFA are probably the two most corrupt, misleading governing bodies in sport.
      fraquar
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts | -1 
      Reply #17: Aug 27, 2010 10:12:27 pm
      Don't blame the player - if teams are WILLING to spend the ridiculous sums they offer to attract players.
      The agents are another matter - they have incentive to shop for a new deal at every turn.

Still, the biggest obstacle in the game is the extremely high disparity between the have's and the have-nots.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #18: Aug 28, 2010 12:28:51 am
      There should be

1. A stipulation in their contract of a buy-out fee.  This could be fixed for the full contract or on a sliding scale down each year into their contract.

2. If fee isn't reached and player really wants to go he has to make up the difference.

Pretty simple. Everyone knows where they stand. Might restore a bit of integrity.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #19: Aug 28, 2010 12:31:56 am
      I'd hate to see Ben Arfa at our club, even if he didn't pull this, he pulled enough before all this at Marseille and Lyon too, very bad attitude and bad discipline. Tell him to F**k off.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #20: Aug 28, 2010 12:59:13 am
      I know what I'd have done with Masch I'd have suspened him without pay until the transfer window closed, if that did not force a change of attitude from him, I'd have suspended him again without pay until the close of the january window, then he'd have missed his move for another year.

By allowing pretty much 4 players Arbeloa, Keane and Masch force their transfers through it sets a bad precedebt for the future, I'd have been a b***ard and cut my nose off in spite of my face to set a new precedent.

Quick Reply