Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Why do English players not play abroad?

Read 4477 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Why do English players not play abroad?
      May 24, 2010 05:16:42 pm
      As the title states.

Extremely rare. There must be some reasons?

Just compare it to the likes of French players for example.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Why do English players not play abroad?
      Reply #1: May 24, 2010 05:25:53 pm
      Not good enough, earned to high a wage in this country &  not willing to adapt to living in a foreign clime & learn the language.  We've had a few though, with varying amounts of success.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,458 posts | 4585 
      Reply #2: May 24, 2010 05:36:03 pm
      They dont like the weather?
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #3: May 24, 2010 05:39:08 pm
      Because the EPL is good enough for any player to play in?

But it looks like that English players will start to move abroad since Barca and Madrid want every good player in they're team and the Seria A getting really old by the average age of players from the top teams.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #4: May 24, 2010 05:41:54 pm
      I think it's due to the fact that over last 10 years, the Premier League has consistently been the best league in the world. When the Italian league was the best in the world we seen a few British players go over to play, Rushie, Gascoigne and Platt are 3 off the top of my head that went over to Italy.

The weather is not a factor because the 2 other major leagues have better weather for longer over the season. The money is also not a factor because over here players get a stupid amount of tax.

I honestly think that it is due to the fact that the best football and most passionate games are played in England and the English mentality is battle rather than flair in most cases.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #5: May 24, 2010 05:49:05 pm
      The French league is a good league, but not as top as the EPL and SPL. The smaller the league is the more likely top players will want to move to a foreign bigger league. Ofcourse there's plenty of spanish players in the EPL, but I think that's cause England is a country where most europeans will settle in well, since most people know the english language.

I'm not english myself, so it's hard for me to know. But how good do you guys think in general english people are in foreign languages and adapting to other cultures? I think it might have something to do with your language being the main language in western europe. I know for instance that most dutch people know english and german well and also french and spanish to some degree, we kind of have to adapt to anywhere we are because nobody knows dutch :laugh:
      « Last Edit: May 24, 2010 06:11:42 pm by Dexter »
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #6: May 24, 2010 05:59:06 pm
      I've wondered this myself. I do think wages are a factor but only in the sense that there is such a huge number of teams in England so if for example, a Championship player wanted to move abroad, his only chance of matching his current wages would probably be to move to the top division in another big footballing country.
      As for Premiership players, yes they'd pay less tax elsewhere but they're still expensive so only the top teams abroad would be willing to shell out and even then, they would only risk it on our top players. As a large percentage of our top flight is now made up of foreigners anyway, it's not surprising that we don't get that much interest in British players.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #7: May 24, 2010 06:38:18 pm
      Simple, because for the longest time the Premier League has been the top league. There aren't a terrible amount of Italians playing outside of Italy, or Spaniards playing outside of Spain. Odds are that those players came through an Academy in their country and learned, for the most part, to play the English/Spanish/Italian way, all of which tend to be very different.

That being said, I think if clubs in our country keep piling on debts we will see more top-level players ending up in Spain or Italy.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #8: May 24, 2010 06:47:49 pm
      Also, I think more english players would move abroad if there would actually be more english managers managing abroad.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #9: May 24, 2010 07:02:34 pm
      It's a bit like asking Patrick Viera why he chose not to play for Senegal!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6728 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #10: May 24, 2010 10:58:24 pm
      Bangers and Mash and mushy peas. Possibly bubble and squeak.  ;D
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #11: May 24, 2010 11:08:59 pm
      I think the last decade, the Premier League has been the best league.

The only English players I knew who played abroad were Hargreaves, Owen, Beckham and Woodgate. The latter three weren't able to keep up with their reputation in England, though. Hargreaves started his career in Germany, didn't he? So he settled in quite well abroad.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #12: May 25, 2010 07:21:06 am
      Hargreaves started his career in Germany, didn't he? So he settled in quite well abroad.

I wouldn't even class him in such a group as he is Canadian and started his career in Calgary before being snapped up by Bayern Munich when he was like 15.

The thing I never got it isn't the top level players I wonder why they are not playing in Europe, it is those player who play on a mid-table club who could go to Holland or France to play on a bigger club with a bigger reputation. I look at a player like Muamba who plays for a club like Bolton, how come he can't go play for a Ajax, PSV or Olympiacos. It is those type of players I am surprised who would rather plug away at their club to hope to get notice by a bigger club rather than go aboard and do it a different path. Also right now money is the big thing as well.
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #13: May 25, 2010 07:25:14 am
      How's about Steven McManaman or did he not go so well at Real ???
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #14: May 25, 2010 07:35:22 am
      How's about Steven McManaman or did he not go so well at Real ???

Can't say my knowledge of his time there was great - but he did alright. Instrumental in their Champions League win over Valencia in 2000, as well as a couple of League titles.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #15: May 27, 2010 02:57:04 am
      I would think that since the EPL is the top league, for now, that English Kids want to play in their own country. I think La Liga and Serie A is becoming ever more closer to the EPL in talent and strength.

I do think that we will begin to see a swing in the next 10-15 years or so. I read a few articles that the Youth programs in the UK are way below the youth programs of Italy and Spain and I tend to agree. Their seems to be more and more of the top players in the world are NOT English. These kids from Argentina,Brazil,Spain,Italy,Columbia are beginning to really make their mark and I think were going to have a huge shock during the World Cup at how good some of the African Nations are. Their are players from some of these tiny African nations who can really play ball but have yet been given the opportunity to show it off.  I think once the WC is over English clubs are going to just run to Africa and sign some of these young, unknown players.

Most of the world only thinks of England, Italy,Brazil and Spain  when it comes to Football powerhouses. Not anymore. I think this will be the most competitive World Cups ever.  So many countries have great players now its hard for teams to be blown away anymore.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #16: May 27, 2010 09:52:35 am
      I think England as a nation in general are reluctant to move abroad because they don't want to adapt to the new culture, learn the language etc, and it's no different for footballers, IMO.
      marcyanguez
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #17: Jun 02, 2010 05:02:15 pm
      I think this could be one of the reasons. As well, England is a very good country to play football, probably the best. In Spain we had the same situation a few years ago, so it may change!

I think England as a nation in general are reluctant to move abroad because they don't want to adapt to the new culture, learn the language etc, and it's no different for footballers, IMO.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #18: Jun 02, 2010 06:52:32 pm
      As they're greedy fuckers.
      ChicagoIllinoisLFCreds
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #19: Jun 18, 2010 02:13:12 am
      Well, to be fair there's only one player who plays abroad and that's Becks. His time here in the US isn't at all what its hyped up to be. He was purely brought here as a cash cow, and his wife's celebrity status. It's crazy to think that every Galaxy shirt that is sold with Beckham on it he cashes in on. In the sake of playing footy, MLS needs to reformat the league and get better officiating refs. I know you Brit's know its a sh*t league but, it's getting better little by little.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #20: Jun 26, 2010 08:06:29 am
      Well, to be fair there's only one player who plays abroad and that's Becks. His time here in the US isn't at all what its hyped up to be. He was purely brought here as a cash cow, and his wife's celebrity status. It's crazy to think that every Galaxy shirt that is sold with Beckham on it he cashes in on. In the sake of playing footy, MLS needs to reformat the league and get better officiating refs. I know you Brit's know its a sh*t league but, it's getting better little by little.
      To be honest, mate, fans over here were under no illusion. Although his arrival may have been hyped up in the US, we only ever saw it as being about money and marketing. Ok so the level of football over there isn't as high as here but Beckham was still never going to shine all that much at his age, Galaxy just wanted to make money from him and the Beckhams wanted to tap into the US market.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #21: Jun 27, 2010 08:49:20 pm
      Most players or English players haven't the technique or quality to play in Italy or Spain. The majority are ordinary Journeymen and no more.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,246 posts | 922 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #22: Jun 28, 2010 09:53:00 pm
      Mostly avarage players

Quick Reply