Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

International friendlies

Read 140197 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: International friendlies
      Reply #690: Nov 17, 2015 08:34:12 pm
      I know mate and Uncle Roy is wanting to get the lads together for a few days when there aren't any International games on, just for a get together, like that's going to make a difference how we play  :lmao:

I still to this day find it hard to believe that he was once manager of Liverpool Football Club, replacing Rafa Benitez. I mean how is that even possible, surely it didn't actually happen??!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #691: Nov 17, 2015 08:38:35 pm
      I still to this day find it hard to believe that he was once manager of Liverpool Football Club, replacing Rafa Benitez.

It has to go down as the most ill conceived plan ever to befall the Club mate, it was mind blowingly dumb that anyone thought it was a good idea.  Even with little to no footballing knowledge that should have been obvious.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #692: Nov 17, 2015 08:40:13 pm
      Ross Barkley is incredibly overrated. The anti Iniesta
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #693: Nov 17, 2015 08:43:03 pm
      what a F***ing goal that was !!!
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #694: Nov 17, 2015 08:43:17 pm
      I think Dele Ali is the real thing. Was surprised he started the season at Spurs but he looks quality. And has been England's best player. .

I'm sure we were after him before he moved?
      gopher
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,487 posts | 136 
      Reply #695: Nov 17, 2015 08:44:00 pm
      Wow what S goal by Ali fantastic shot 1-0 England
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #696: Nov 17, 2015 08:51:29 pm
      I think Dele Ali is the real thing. Was surprised he started the season at Spurs but he looks quality. And has been England's best player. .

I'm sure we were after him before he moved?

Spurs are contributing some great young talent to this England squad.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #697: Nov 17, 2015 08:56:59 pm
      Wow what S goal by Ali fantastic shot 1-0 England

Didn't let his poor control in a good position earlier on in the half effect him which is good. Deflection or not, I can't see Lloris getting anywhere near that
      gopher
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,487 posts | 136 
      Reply #698: Nov 17, 2015 09:07:58 pm
      Goal Rooney 2-0 well worked
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #699: Nov 17, 2015 09:26:30 pm
      Martial was anonymous. Again.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #700: Nov 17, 2015 10:48:31 pm
      Dele Alli a boyhood LFC fan, looks like he might turn out half decent but Rodgers didn't want him last season when he was available and why would you when you have the option of Milner   >:(
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #701: Nov 18, 2015 01:59:08 pm
      Rodgers didn't want him last season when he was available and why would you when you have the option of Milner   >:(

I heard and read from ours and Spurs fans that Rodgers didn't want to gamble on Dele Alli and went against the committee's choice (Alli) and chose Milner.

To be honest, I would have done the same and can understand why he didn't want to gamble on a kid and go for experience. But of course, knowing what I know now, I'd have gone for Dele Ali :)
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #702: Mar 29, 2016 09:28:58 pm
      Payet has just scored another worldy free kick. Absolute beauty.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #703: Mar 29, 2016 10:00:53 pm
      good game Ireland vs Slovakia both teams with a chance of dark horses for Euros. best of luck
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #704: Mar 29, 2016 10:09:57 pm
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #705: Mar 29, 2016 10:54:14 pm
      Dele Alli a boyhood LFC fan, looks like he might turn out half decent but Rodgers didn't want him last season when he was available and why would you when you have the option of Milner   >:(

Actually what I read was that Rodgers was keen, FSG would only ok ridiculously small wages so Ali passed.

But don't let the truth get in the way of a good Rodgers bashing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3408111/Liverpool-missed-Dele-Alli-signing-American-owners-pay-21-wage-4-000-week.html
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #706: Mar 30, 2016 01:20:00 am
      Actually what I read was that Rodgers was keen, FSG would only ok ridiculously small wages so Ali passed.

But don't let the truth get in the way of a good Rodgers bashing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3408111/Liverpool-missed-Dele-Alli-signing-American-owners-pay-21-wage-4-000-week.html

But why was he offered such a low contract?

Liverpool's American owners only saw Alli as an Under 21 prospect

Was it really the American owners who saw him as a prospect, or perhaps it were the scouts or the manager? Guess we'll never know.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #707: Mar 30, 2016 03:57:49 am
      But why was he offered such a low contract?

Liverpool's American owners only saw Alli as an Under 21 prospect

Was it really the American owners who saw him as a prospect, or perhaps it were the scouts or the manager? Guess we'll never know.

Surely you don't think Rodgers has anything to do with deciding what wages will be?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #708: Mar 30, 2016 12:55:50 pm
      Surely you don't think Rodgers has anything to do with deciding what wages will be?

Perhaps Rodgers didn't see him as a first team player and wanted Ali to spend time at U21 level or to go out on loan, hence to youth contract being offered.

I think a manager has an influence on what type of contract a player gets.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #709: Mar 30, 2016 01:38:46 pm
      Perhaps Rodgers didn't see him as a first team player and wanted Ali to spend time at U21 level or to go out on loan, hence to youth contract being offered.

I think a manager has an influence on what type of contract a player gets.

It's no secret Rodgers wanted him though, it was down to FSG not paying enough. Surely it was common knowledge that he was wanted by other teams as well as Tottenham eventually signed him and on big wages. You surely have a bone to pick with Rodgers if you  are trying to put this on him. He made some screw ups in transfers sure, but this wasn't one of them.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #710: Mar 30, 2016 05:11:00 pm
      It's no secret Rodgers wanted him though, it was down to FSG not paying enough. Surely it was common knowledge that he was wanted by other teams as well as Tottenham eventually signed him and on big wages. You surely have a bone to pick with Rodgers if you  are trying to put this on him. He made some screw ups in transfers sure, but this wasn't one of them.

I just like to take other things into consideration. I just find it odd that Gomez signed a 10k a week contract, but we offered, 4k a week to Ali? He signed for Spurs at 12k a week didn't he?

It just makes me wonder if Rodgers really wanted him for the seniors. Then again, maybe we didn't f**k up in contract negotiations and he actually wanted to join Spurs as he saw them as a team on the rise rather than us? Guess we'll never know the truth :(
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #711: Mar 30, 2016 05:40:06 pm
      I just like to take other things into consideration. I just find it odd that Gomez signed a 10k a week contract, but we offered, 4k a week to Ali? He signed for Spurs at 12k a week didn't he?

It just makes me wonder if Rodgers really wanted him for the seniors. Then again, maybe we didn't f**k up in contract negotiations and he actually wanted to join Spurs as he saw them as a team on the rise rather than us? Guess we'll never know the truth :(

My understanding from what I read is that FSG weren't willing to sanction the type of wages that Spurs were going to give because they know eff all about the player. Of course, my understanding can sometimes also be eff all. ;D
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #712: Mar 30, 2016 09:31:00 pm

I get exactly what you're saying PM. Somebody made the judgement that he only warranted an U21 contract, Brendan was clearly involved in that conversation. Whether he liked him or not he clearly didn't get across to the men who would negotiate the contract that he was more important in his plans than that.

Brendan, as usual, has been happy to tell his side of the story deflecting all blame from himself. If Brendan wanted him as a first team player he could have sold someone like Allen to make room on the wage bill, but no of course Brendan was completely innocent in this if you believe him. We've heard enough of Brendan's lies to know the truth is probably quite different from the version he'd like you to swallow.

If I were to guess I'd say Brendan thought he was a top prospect but didn't want to give up a first team or squad status player in order to fit him into the squad and therefore we lost out on him. It was a F**k up, one we became all too used to and exactly what I hope will change moving forward.

Quick Reply