Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Film about the owners - feedback needed

Read 7493 times
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 575 posts | 27 
      Film about the owners - feedback needed
      May 25, 2010 12:20:06 am
      I met up with SOS recently and thought they were spot on. I've been making a film about these guys and would be great to get some feedback from Liverpool fans as I think the message above needs to get out to as many people as possible. I hope you like:

The Potemkin league
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Film about the owners - feedback needed
      Reply #1: May 25, 2010 12:40:00 am
      So is there going to be something longer in duration revealed in August?

I like it. I think it should be longer and go into more detail like. But I like the theme - Bogeyman etc.

Plus the cartoon references like Pluto and Olive may appeal to some fans who are younger in the mind, shall we say - and still think changing a manager will make things better!
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #2: May 25, 2010 12:46:07 am
      Hi redkenny, thanks for sorting the post out (if that was you). Great to get a fan to watch what is just the trailer, be we are in post production right now and the final piece could be 30mins maybe longer, it really depends on how the interview footage sits together. I would like to get it finished as soon as possible given the constant changes almost daily at the club. Regardless of what happens though we should not forget what these guys have done and ensure it never happens again.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: May 25, 2010 02:30:17 am
      No probs mate. Any vehicle to educate and make other fans understand that basically, our club is being raped, deserves attention.

I'll look forward to seeing the film in its entirety then. Glad to hear it could be 30 minutes plus.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: May 25, 2010 02:43:20 am
      Fantastic idea. Hope it comes to fruitition for you soon. Looking forward to it
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #5: May 25, 2010 04:29:27 am
      Looked good. Will pass it around.
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #6: May 25, 2010 01:36:44 pm
      I know it is off topic, but could we not get an advert in a big tabloid, tellin everyone what is happening at Liverpool, cause I am sure a lot of the fans have not got a clue, or cant be bothered to worry.  Dont know if it has been thought about?
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #7: May 25, 2010 03:06:46 pm
      I know it is off topic, but could we not get an advert in a big tabloid, tellin everyone what is happening at Liverpool, cause I am sure a lot of the fans have not got a clue, or cant be bothered to worry.  Dont know if it has been thought about?

I think any publicity about this is great and we started out to make just a 5-10minute documentary, we are now expecting to make it 30mins and if time and budget allow it could be up to 45mins. To convey the situation and what is happening is not only complex but should be viewed in the wider context of the impact on the fans and the local community, I don't think an advert could explain as much as I believe needs to be explained but the Spirit of Shankly did do a bill board campaign which was very good and any messages we can get out should be welcomed.
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #8: May 27, 2010 10:45:16 am
      See Hicks is up his old tricks again today........lots of hot air.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #9: May 27, 2010 11:28:13 am
      Great work so far QP,

Just as you think the tw*ts are going to do the right thing he comes out and values the club at Ā£800 million. the sad thing is I am sure we wont be the last club to be raped by Charlatans of similar ilk.
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #10: May 27, 2010 12:17:50 pm
      Thanks Venison...love the avatar. I am sure these guys will not be the last, if he does get Ā£800 Million then Hicks is right it is a great business rationale. Pay nothing, go to games for free, stay in luxury accomadation for free, do absolutely nothing but get your media company to release statements and walk away with a few hunderd million in profit.....its genius, if you have no conscience whatsoever.

Given Scudamores recent comments to SOS it looks like a few rich folks will continue to dictate how our...OUR...game is ran. (im trying to stay professional but its hard...so excuse my lack or language and emotion)
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #11: May 27, 2010 01:46:24 pm
      Hicks is a F***ing con man, at least the other clown keeps his mouth F***ing shut, good video by the way qp, looking forward to seeing the whole lot in August.
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #12: May 28, 2010 01:48:42 pm
      http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6175607,00.html

The new UEFA scheme will come into effect in 2012 although some leeway is given for an introductory period.

It is understood that initially clubs must not return losses of more then 45million euros (Ā£38million) for the 2012-15 period. After 2015, clubs are given a leeway of 30million (Ā£26million) for three-year losses after which the figure will be reduced still further.

If clubs breach the rules then they will not be granted a UEFA club licence to take part in European competitions.

Not looking good for us !
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #13: Jun 15, 2010 09:31:23 pm
      Well done Mike for getting this documentary off the ground.  Do you know when and where it's being aired?

It's time for the Premier League to take a long hard look at themselves

By David Maddock

Published 19:06 15/06/10

In August of this year, a documentary will be released which explores the murky world of leveraged buy-outs in football. It is called The Potemkin League , and I urge every single Liverpool and Manchester United fan to watch it.

The film is being made by an independent production company called queuepolitely, led by a talented young film-maker called Mike Horwath, who explores the relationship between some of our top clubs, and predatory businessmen.

You can watch a trailer for this film on the queuepolitely website , and it really does make fascinating viewing.

It has been suggested for some time that the most insidious aspect of capitalism, the leveraged buy-out, is behind the worst excesses of greed that ultimately caused the global financial collapse we are all still suffering for.

A leveraged buy-out works, in basic terms, like this. An opportunist ā€“ they like to call themselves entrepreneurs ā€“ finds a company that is under-performing in some way, borrows money (usually from willing banks) to buy that company, turns the company around while repaying any interest on those borrowings with money generated by that company, and then sells at a profit. Using little if any of their own money.

For some reason, football, and in particular, English football, seems to have become a magnate for these people, presumably because of the promise of future growth offered by huge TV contracts, with Liverpool and Manchester United the most high-profile of several who have been bought in this way.

Iā€™m not going to descend too deep into boring financial jargon, because I know most of you would rather watch a damp patch grow, but consider these figures.

Manchester United have been revealed, recently, to currently have more than Ā£1billion worth of debt on their club. Yep, thatā€™s right, a thousand million pounds of debt on the club. That is because the Glazer family bought the club with money borrowed from the banks, and now the club itself must repay a large chunk of the interest on that borrowing.

Liverpool, for their part, have a ā€˜mereā€™ Ā£350million or so of debt on the club. What is fascinating, and truly depressing, is that more than 40 per cent that debt is now owed  - get this ā€“ to their American owners themselves.

You donā€™t believe me, do you? Canā€™t be possible, can it? It can and it is. Tom Hicks and George Gillett bought Liverpool with money borrowed from the RBS and an American bank called Wachovia.

In the middle of the credit crunch their type of business model helped create, the banks started to lose their nerve, and said that the Americans had to reduce their borrowings.

So what did they do, dig into their own pockets? Err, sort of. Hicks and Gillett paid down the debt by almost Ā£150million in total, but only by LENDING it to the holding company that owns the Football Club.

So now, Liverpool HAVE to pay interest to the Americans. It is set a rate of 10 per cent per annum, and isnā€™t actually being repaid, but merely added as compound interest to the total sum that the club must pay to the Americans.

So not only do Liverpool effectively owe the RBS Ā£228million, they also owe the Yanks Ā£150millionā€¦and growing at Ā£10 per cent per year. So in three years' time, they will owe Hicks and Gillett Ā£200million, for the privilege of the Americans buying the company.

It doesnā€™t make sense does it? And yet it is allowed to happen. It is this sort of thinking that has put the world economy into the sort of mess that sees people being thrown out of work and whole nations on the verge of meltdown.

And it is the biggest single threat to football as we know it. Liverpool were actually declared by their auditors to have a ā€œmaterial uncertaintyā€ about their ability to continue as a going concern, the second successive year that they have issued such a warning.

Both Liverpool and United are continuing to operate only because of the patience of their banks and the extent of their credit, in Unitedā€™s case after a series of complicated bond issues that basically allowed their owners to find cheaper debt.

What the Potemkin League documentary asks is, can these sort of figures be sustained? Iā€™d like to ask you the same sort of question. Do you really think that, even in the medium term, clubs like United and Liverpool can sustain debts of billions of pounds and still operate at the very summit of the game?

No-one in their right mind can believe they can, surely, not even their American owners? Perhaps that question is most pertinent for the Football Association and Premier League.

And another question for the football authorities. Why have Hicks and Gillett and the Glazers bought sporting clubs in England? Answer, because they canā€™t do it back home.

In the United States, there are severe restrictions on the manner in which sports franchises can be owned and operated, because their government ā€“ a fiercely capitalist government ā€“ realises that sport should be treated differently from business.

But in this country, nothing. So let me ask another question of the Premier League. What would they think if one of their big TV money earners like say, just for an example, Manchester United or Liverpool or hypothetically both, should see a material uncertainty about their ability to continue turn into a full blown collapse?

Itā€™s not far away. And then what? It could spell the collapse of the league itself.

Do the Premier League really want to stand by and fiddle while football burns? Do they really think that a model based on wringing profits out of clubs and selling them on should be allowed to be the basis for most of the clubs in their league?

In virtually no other league in the world is such shameless, naked profiteering allowed, and certainly not in the United States. Which is why they are over-sexed, overpaid, and over here. Oh, ok, well, at least the last two of those.

It is time to act, because English footballā€™s authorities have to realise they cannot preside over this potential disaster. FIFA are trying to do something about it, they are introducing rules designed to prevent clubs having debt stacked on them.

But those rules donā€™t go far enough.

What is required is for the Premier League to take a long, hard look at themselves, and their role in what is one of the most sinister developments in football history.

They have got to ask, is it right that the two biggest clubs in England ā€“ and possibly the world ā€“ can be allowed to sail along with combined debts of more than Ā£1.5billion, without anyone in authority even asking questions of them?

Perhaps they could start with a request for a private viewing of the Potemkin League documentary.

www.mirrorfootball.co.uk
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #14: Jun 19, 2010 08:18:26 pm
      Hi red debs, no we are not sure yet when it will be aired. We are working on this in the background and hope to have more news soon on the distribution channels the final film will be available through.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #15: Jun 19, 2010 09:40:49 pm
      Post the info on here then mate or PM me - I don't want to miss it.
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #16: Jun 24, 2010 01:14:48 am
      Final teaser trailer in response to Maddocks article. Think that will be it now until we release....too time consuming !!

http://queuepolitely.com/?page_id=6

The Potemkin league teaser
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6916 
      Reply #17: Jun 24, 2010 01:27:58 am
      Excellent.  Look forward to promoting it on the site.
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #18: Aug 09, 2010 02:18:53 pm
      We are just waiting for the sale completion now and then we can finish the film and distribute. Anyone who would be interested rather than posting on Blogs please can you click 'Like' on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/ThePotemkinleague

Were going to post some further exclusive footage, were hoping to interview the new owners (if it goes one specific way) shortly and will post that with the SOS rally footage all to the facebook page.

If you click 'Like' you should then get updates when we post the films. This will not be used for marketing.

Many thanks.....
      « Last Edit: Aug 10, 2010 09:16:23 pm by queuepolitely, Reason: update to the URL link »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #19: Aug 09, 2010 11:06:03 pm
      Jesus H Christ that is scary,to think that the global financial meltdown has basically the same root cause that these fuckers bled the life out LFC with.
      It is embarrassingly transparent that the confidence tricksters we have as owners are prepared to blatantly sit it out to the bitter end surrounded by legal advisers and financial consultants but paradoxically they are detached from common sense and cannot see that what they are doing is spectacularly morally wrong but time will be their judge and ultimately their executioner.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #20: Aug 10, 2010 12:28:55 am
      My goodness, thank god this club is lucky to be in a league that is so financially attractive unlike Corinthians in Brazil otherwise we'd be completely fu**ed and no one would want to touch us with a bargepole.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #21: Aug 10, 2010 01:30:02 am
      Well in QP you have my apologies,I misjudged you're motives.I hope your'e production in August times with the takeover,it will reward your effort.Well in Brother.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #22: Aug 10, 2010 12:50:42 pm
      My goodness, thank god this club is lucky to be in a league that is so financially attractive unlike Corinthians in Brazil otherwise we'd be completely fu**ed
      ......and manUre would be well ahead of us in the bankruptcy queue!

Quick Reply