Read 15906 times
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Those bloody kazoo things! (vuvuzelas)
      May 26, 2010 08:13:23 pm
      I don't know where he'd seen / heard it but a mate tells me that at South African matches, they have thousands of those kazoos and just blow them all game, creating one constant tone.
      I know it's part of the occasion when we come up against teams from around the world and you hear cow bells, whistles and bongos etc but he reckons that over in South Africa, you'll struggle to hear anything during a match other than one constant kazoo tone.
      I hope he's wrong or that will be sh*t!
      « Last Edit: Jun 02, 2010 10:45:27 am by Reprobate »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Those bloody kazoo things!
      Reply #1: May 26, 2010 08:39:35 pm
      They had them during the Confed Cup.

Like playing in a jungle full of bees. F***ing annoying.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2: May 26, 2010 08:52:28 pm
      It was apparently a problem for players on the pitch hearing each other. Fooking annoying to hear for 90 minutes on TV, I can only imagine what it's like in person. They're called vuvuzelas or some sh*t.

The vuvuzela came to international attention during the run-up to the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup and 2010 FIFA World Cup, both hosted in South Africa. The world football governing body, FIFA, wanted to ban the use of vuvuzelas during the World Cup 2010 because of concerns that hooligans could use the instrument as a weapon and that businesses could place advertisements on vuvuzelas. However the South African Football Association (SAFA) made a presentation that vuvuzelas were essential for an authentic South African football experience, and FIFA decided in July 2008 to drop the ban. Vuvuzelas were allowed at matches during Confederations Cup 2009 and are expected to be allowed at World Cup 2010 in South Africa.[8]

Some football commentators, players and international audiences argued against the vuvuzela during the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup. During the match between United States and Italy, BBC Three commentator Lee Dixon referred to the sounds as "quite irritating". FIFA received complaints from multiple European broadcasters who want it banned for the 2010 FIFA World Cup because the sound is drowning out the commentators. Netherlands coach Bert van Marwijk and Spanish midfielder Xabi Alonso also called for a ban, the latter saying the horns make it hard for players to communicate and concentrate while adding nothing to the atmosphere. Strong arguments against the vuvuzela include the fact that the sound does not correspond to the actions on the pitch, but is rather just a constant drone, and hence cannot be said to enhance the atmosphere.

Some South African soccer fans argue that this instrument creates a lively atmosphere in the stadium, that it is a part of South African football culture, and that it is a way of showing loyalty and dedication to the team. Just as fans in other countries beat drums, blow trumpets, and sing, some South African soccer fans blow the vuvuzela.

FIFA has said it will discuss the instrument with the local organizing committee of the 2010 World Cup, but not before the end of the Confederations Cup. President of FIFA Sepp Blatter opposes banning the vuvuzela. "We should not try to Europeanise an African World Cup," Blatter has said. FIFA ultimately decided to allow the instrument for the 2010 World Cup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuvuzela

Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #3: May 26, 2010 09:36:57 pm
      I don't see the problem. It's a different footballing culture, their fans play Kazoo things, England fans have a stupid group of trumpeteers playing the same 6 second tune for 90 minutes (That's 900 repetitions over the course of the match).

Let them play the vuvuzuvuzuelas.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #4: May 26, 2010 09:58:35 pm
      I know what you're saying and in all honesty, that Sheffield Wednesday band piss me off anyway but the main point about this instrument is....
      the sound does not correspond to the actions on the pitch, but is rather just a constant drone, and hence cannot be said to enhance the atmosphere.
      If there are enough of them in the grounds then I'm afraid it will kill the atmosphere, at least for us at home. When something exciting happens on the pitch, you will not necessarily hear any change in the crowd volume / reaction, just the same drone.
      yozz1982
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts |
      • http://kitster29.deviantart.com/
      Reply #5: May 26, 2010 10:06:21 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6: May 27, 2010 03:04:19 am
      Drove me up the wall when heard them during the Confederations Cup. So damn annoying but is one of them things that gives us more reason to use the mute button.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #7: May 27, 2010 03:12:38 am
      Apparently they're using special mics on the fields to minimise the sound of those bas**rds for those watching on tv. Doubt it'll help.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #8: May 27, 2010 11:59:35 am
      I'm afraid it will kill the atmosphere, at least for us at home. When something exciting happens on the pitch, you will not necessarily hear any change in the crowd volume / reaction, just the same drone.

I hadn't thought of it that way Rep (just found them annoying as F**k) but you're right. Maybe in the "bigger" games (fewer S.A. fans attending) they'll be less irksome.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #9: May 27, 2010 12:01:42 pm
      First heard them in the Confederations Cup. It was so annoying.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #10: May 27, 2010 12:24:34 pm
      Surely, with the technology nowadays, they have some way of drowning out the noise a bit?
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #11: May 27, 2010 01:32:04 pm
      I've got one of these

Blew it in the house and the whole house echoed ;D
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #12: May 27, 2010 03:27:24 pm
      I hadn't thought of it that way Rep (just found them annoying as F**k) but you're right. Maybe in the "bigger" games (fewer S.A. fans attending) they'll be less irksome.
      Yeah, maybe. I'm not sure how many tickets are allocated to 'locals'.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #13: May 27, 2010 03:50:28 pm
      Yeah, maybe. I'm not sure how many tickets are allocated to 'locals'.
      I don't think just locals will have them though, now these bas**rds are even sold in my country for instance(saw them in the supermarket today), in orange, but still. And they'll probably be sold to everyone in SA too, to alot of visitors from other countries.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #14: May 27, 2010 05:49:53 pm
      Great! >:(
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #15: May 27, 2010 06:07:08 pm
      You're welcome, just thought I'd cheer you up a bit :laugh:
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #16: May 27, 2010 06:08:41 pm
      People need to man the F**k up and deal with it.

In their footballing culture the fans play vuvuzela's. In ours we chant racist songs and personal abuse. If visiting fans were complaining about what our fans want to do at games, no doubt we'd be hearing the same old "in my country I do as I like, foreigners aren't welcome, this is England, you stink of monkey sh*t and curry" bollocks.
      LFCMau
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,747 posts | 11 
      • 100% LFC, without doubt!
      Reply #17: May 27, 2010 06:10:18 pm
      I think it's quite "ok", everyone's got their own culture and do it their own way. On the other hand, commentators can find a way to get their message passed. I got one too infact!  ;D
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #18: May 27, 2010 06:19:34 pm
      I hated them at first, but they really do add to the atmosphere.

Bring on the Vuvuzela I say!
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #19: May 27, 2010 06:26:10 pm
      I think what's annoying for me about them is that you don't really hear any breaks or differences in sound and volume with those things, even when it gets exciting or what not. With all of them together it's just one constant.. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :laugh: Not that bothered though really. But I do hope it doesn't become a normal thing outside of Africa at any point.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #20: May 27, 2010 06:33:04 pm
      I think what's annoying for me about them is that you don't really hear any breaks or differences in sound and volume with those things, even when it gets exciting or what not. With all of them together it's just one constant.. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :laugh: Not that bothered though really. But I do hope it doesn't become a normal thing outside of Africa at any point.

Nail on head.

It wouldn't be annoying if it was occasional or had breaks but it's a constant "Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrr"
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #21: May 27, 2010 07:18:45 pm
      People need to man the F**k up and deal with it.

In their footballing culture the fans play vuvuzela's. In ours we chant racist songs and personal abuse. If visiting fans were complaining about what our fans want to do at games, no doubt we'd be hearing the same old "in my country I do as I like, foreigners aren't welcome, this is England, you stink of monkey sh*t and curry" bollocks.
      Hang on a minute, Eem, it's F**k all to do with being man enough and it definitely has nothing to do with xenophobic 'in my country' mentalities. I am not promoting or supporting fans from any country who sing racist songs or give personal abuse so kindly climb down from that high horse instead of twisting this thread to fulfil your own agenda.!
      When you are watching football matches, the crowd plays an important part in creating the atmosphere. The volume and reaction from the crowd changes along with the events on the pitch. Being a Liverpool fan, you should know this as well as anyone, the Anfield crowd is famous for generating atmosphere.
      Regardless of whether it is traditional for South Africans to play vuvuzelas or not, the concern is that having one, constant sound during games will drown out any such crowd reactions and, therefore ruin the atmosphere.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #22: May 27, 2010 09:33:57 pm

Not to the South Africans. You know, the hosts.

Quick Reply