Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Apple back as biggest technology company in the World

Read 2440 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Apple back as biggest technology company in the World
      May 27, 2010 02:42:59 am
      Apple passes Microsoft to be biggest tech company
      Apple has pushed past arch-rival Microsoft to become the world's biggest technology company.

Changes in the share price values of the two in Wednesday's choppy trading left the total value of Apple at $222bn (£154bn).

Microsoft is now valued by investors at $219bn.

The worth, known as market capitalisation, is calculated by multiplying the number of shares in a company by the current share price.

Although Apple shares closed down 0.4%, Microsoft fell by 4%.

Apple, which makes computers, iPods, iPhones and now iPads, almost went out of business in the 1990s.

Its growth is partly owing to the launch of the stylish iPod in 2001.

Its compatability with existing - but not mass-selling - Apple computers lead customers to engage with them, just as Microsoft's products looked set for long-term dominance.

Apple has to look back to late 1989 to see the last time it was ahead of Microsoft.

Microsoft, whose operating system runs on more than 90% of the world's personal computers, has not been able to match growth rates from its hey-day of the 1990s, although its last sales figures were still higher than Apple's.

This week sees the launch in Britain and eight other countries of Apple's iPad tablet computer.

Next month will see the unveiling of the next generation of the iPhone, something that has brought internet access on the move to the mass market, and led to an explosion in downloadable mobile "apps" - applications that enable a huge range of activities, from map reading to booking restaurants.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10168684.stm
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Apple back as biggest technology company in the World
      Reply #1: May 27, 2010 03:57:10 am
      I <3 Apple.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #2: May 29, 2010 10:18:27 am
      Amazing that. Especially considering Microsoft undeniably have a strangle hold on operating systems in workplaces, a lot of homes and schools, etc.

Mad to think they've only made 3, or nearly 4, models of phone yet they've smashed it straight away. Once one person gets an iPhone, I'm fairly sure there's a good chance they're never going back to another phone. It's certainly the case with me.

I personally think their success is down to their overwhelming power to convert people.

That and their computers don't snuff it after a year. ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3: May 29, 2010 11:39:47 pm
      They connect with their target on a level Microsoft could only dream.

I want a Mac and and iPhone to go with my iPod. Should be getting an iPhone for free on my new contract soon.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #4: May 29, 2010 11:48:25 pm
      Amazing that. Especially considering Microsoft undeniably have a strangle hold on operating systems in workplaces, a lot of homes and schools, etc.

Mad to think they've only made 3, or nearly 4, models of phone yet they've smashed it straight away. Once one person gets an iPhone, I'm fairly sure there's a good chance they're never going back to another phone. It's certainly the case with me.

I personally think their success is down to their overwhelming power to convert people.

That and their computers don't snuff it after a year. ;)

Is right. Though, my computer's drive snuffed it after 8 months :D But, another great thing about them is customer service - i sent my computer off and got it back good as new for free, just for having the $200 apple care plan. Now it may seem an expensive plan, but when you think about the fact its a 3 year plan for ANY problem, its worth it - as i discovered. And its a brilliant computer, even being their base model laptop. I love it.

I'm someone who had hardly even seen a mac let alone used one til i met Laura and used hers back at the end of '08 - so they converted me :D

Got my iPhone to go with it of course, so i feel pretty cool and all ;)

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #5: May 29, 2010 11:52:27 pm
      Got my iPhone to go with it of course, so i feel pretty cool and all ;)

"Dave, the Trendy" we shall call you ;)

Heard about that plan, though. For 3 years and only $200 is pretty damn good considering over three years anything can happen.

I shall go to eBay right now.

And the best thing is, i can claim it on tax for uni! ;D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #6: May 29, 2010 11:59:49 pm
      "Dave, the Trendy" we shall call you ;)

Heard about that plan, though. For 3 years and only $200 is pretty damn good considering over three years anything can happen.

I shall go to eBay right now.

And the best thing is, I can claim it on tax for uni! ;D

Nice!

Plan may be a little more in Australia, not sure - still worth it over 3 years when you think that the computer is totally guaranteed for anything in that time. Reassuring.

I got a discount on mine for going to college here in the US, and a free iPod touch - which i sold due to having an iPhone :D But also got hit with sales tax cos i bought it in Los Angeles - California has killer sales tax the broke bas**rds.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #7: May 30, 2010 12:46:51 pm
      Yeah is a bit more. I don't mind though. With laptops you can never be too sure so i'll pay that when i get one (which is soon hopefully).

Could probably find a deal with apple to get a Mac + iPhone somewhere if i shop around/bargain.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #8: May 30, 2010 09:13:59 pm
      I cant imagine life without my iphone, ipod and mac book.

Hard to think of a time when all we have was Disc mans!

Quick Reply