Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Most acrimonious LFC player departure?

Read 1804 times
      Rushie
      • Forum John Toshack
      • Started Topic

• 255 posts | -3 
      Most acrimonious LFC player departure?
      Jun 15, 2007 06:12:54 pm
      Which Liverpool player has left the club under the darkest cloud?

Who has been the least welcomed back player after moving to another club and why?

I've been really thinking about this one. I know Michael Owen didn't get an enormous fanfare but he hardly got a barracking after many fans thought he screwed the club over? What about McManaman - surely he really shafted us when he left on a Bosman but I can't remember him getting a really bad reception?

Help me out, who has left Anfield and then took the worst stick on their return in another club's colours?
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Re: Most acrimonious LFC player departure?
      Reply #1: Jun 15, 2007 06:45:53 pm
      I agree with Owen and McManaman, but, to me the answer is simple  -  Diouf.

When he played for us, I must admit at times he worked hard for us, but the truth is he was never a good enough player for Liverpool.
      He then decided to spit at a Celtic fan (sorry but whoever you support - it's only G.Neville you do that to  ;))

We put him on loan at Bolton, and he decides to support Bolton at Anfield (unable to play against us) whilst we still held his registration and paid some of his wages.

This guy is a total football pr**k, who loved himself and the limelight his character brought upon himself.
      I have NEVER heard a responce from the Liverpool crowd to a returning player as Diouf got.
      To me it was deserved and good riddance.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #2: Jun 16, 2007 11:28:25 am
      I can say there are to many we usually give our former players a good reception at anfield,save all the stick for that cnut Neville.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #3: Jun 20, 2007 07:41:39 am
      Agreed MrTommo!

Diouf it is! What a tit!  >:(
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #4: Jun 20, 2007 11:33:47 am
      Definately Diouf for me too.

McManaman didn't screw us over really though. He wanted to stay but the club was trying to sell him to Barcelona, which is when he decided to run down his contract. I was disappointed to see him go, but can't say I blame him.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #5: Jun 20, 2007 12:21:22 pm
      Definately Diouf for me too.

McManaman didn't screw us over really though. He wanted to stay but the club was trying to sell him to Barcelona, which is when he decided to run down his contract. I was disappointed to see him go, but can't say I blame him.

Agree with you on this one, I would of done what Macca done if I was in his shoes.  He had a good career at Real Madrid when he left, and had a bad one at Man City.  Back on topic, for me it would have to be Diouf without question.

Spitting at fans is one thing.  But sitting in the Bolton end while Liverpool & Bolton are playing against each other is another thing!

I think Pongolle has to fit in this category also. Again, turning up to a Merseyside derby with an Everton scarf on and sitting in the Everton end when he was on loan to Blackburn is turning us over.  Traitor. They can both F**k off.
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #6: Jun 20, 2007 04:56:55 pm
      Did Pongolle really do that...i can't believe that for one minute.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #7: Jun 20, 2007 07:10:01 pm
      I think Pongolle has to fit in this category also. Again, turning up to a Merseyside derby with an Everton scarf on and sitting in the Everton end when he was on loan to Blackburn is turning us over.  Traitor. They can both fu*k off.

He did that? What tool he is! I think theres a bit of a French themed trend coming out here! (Including French colonies by the way, before someone has a go!) :laugh:

Quick Reply