Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

UEFA calls clubs to account

Read 5275 times
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      UEFA calls clubs to account
      May 27, 2010 08:17:41 pm
      Uefa calls clubs to account

Gordon Farquhar | 09:17 UK time, Thursday, 27 May 2010

"Uefa's executive board is expected to rubber stamp new club licensing and monitoring regulations later today."

It is the kind of news story that catapults most football fans into stifled yawn mode, if not complete catatonia, so I will do my best to explain why you should be aware and what it is going to mean for Premier League clubs from Chelsea to Blackpool, the Toffees to the Baggies and so on.

Uefa already runs a licensing scheme, based around certain financial criteria. Clubs that want to play in its competitions - Champions League, Europa League etc - have to comply with the terms of the license or they cannot take part.

Uefa has a clear view as to why it does this and what the intentions of the revised regulations are. They are to:

Introduce more discipline and rationality in club football finances;
      Decrease pressure on players' salaries and transfer fees and limit inflationary effect;
      Encourage clubs to compete with their revenues;
      Encourage investment for the long-term benefit of clubs, such as investment in infrastructure
      (sports facilities) and in youth;
      Protect the long term viability and sustainability of European club football;
      Ensure clubs settle their liabilities on a timely basis.
      Frankly, it is hard to argue with any of that. So what is new? The 'break-even' clause, that's what - and it's a pretty significant development.

Uefa rulings will put the wallets of Liverpool's owners under further scrutiny

The devil is in the detail but, basically, it means clubs' financial returns will be monitored over a three-year period and they will be expected, on average, to spend no more than they earn, give or take a 5 million euros "immaterial losses" factor.

It is a simple principle but one that has taken a lot of quite clever Uefa men in navy blue suits a long time to frame in a practical and workable way.

Let us just start by saying this is not about existing debt, it is about what you earn and spend. It is also more about what you leave out of that calculation than what you put in.

Certain expenditure will be exempt. You can blow what you like on a new stadium or training ground, on your youth academy and your community activities. So can your wealthy benefactor. However, that wealthy benefactor can only subsidise other spending - transfers and salaries, for example - to a maximum of 45 million euros over three years, above and beyond the break-even level.

That is the bit the Premier League do not like. Let us take Fulham as the example. It would mean owner Mohamed Al-Fayed could not just plough any spare cash he had from the sale of Harrods into the club's transfer kitty with impunity.

This affects the smaller Premier League clubs most, as they generally have lower incomes. It tends to make it harder for a club like Fulham to break into the Champions League places by just bringing in lots of expensive talent, even if they can afford it. That, says the Premier League, is not a "good thing".

OK, so let us cut to the chase. How would your club stand at the moment?

Looking at the latest figures, Arsenal, Blackburn, Tottenham, Manchester United, Hull City and Stoke all tabled profits, so they are fine.

Fulham, Everton, Wigan and Wolves made losses of between £5m and £8m before factoring in academy, infrastructure and community spend, so that's OK, covered by the "immaterial losses" clause.

Bolton, West Ham and Birmingham made losses of between £13 and £20m, again before the permitted items. Considering the 'benefactor' clause allowing up to 15m Euros per season, they would be pretty much OK as well.

Aston Villa, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Manchester City would have some thinking to do as their losses are at a level that would trigger concern at Uefa.

It would not, however, suddenly mean they were not allowed to play Champions League or Europa League football at a stroke. The new measure is being added to the regulations as a "monitoring" item, which, if I've got this right, means they would be put under review and given warnings before being hit with the ultimate sanction.

Finally, none of this will cut in before the 2012/13 season, although the 2011/2012 financial returns will be the first benchmark for averaging out profit and loss over the next three years.

Never has your club needed a creative accountant more urgently - or a talented currency speculator given all this rationale has been worked out in euros.

And, as we know, the value of the pound in your pocket can go up as well as down!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/gordonfarquhar/2010/05/uefa_calls_clubs_to_account.html

Mods, move this to General Football if you like but I'm sure the implications for LFC are clear.

However, that wealthy benefactor can only subsidise other spending - transfers and salaries, for example - to a maximum of 45 million euros over three years, above and beyond the break-even level.
      So essentially we need to get mega-rich owners in quickly so that we can blow shitloads on new players before these measures come in and we're restricted to €45m over 3 years (above profit) and struggle to catch those who are spending big already.
      « Last Edit: May 27, 2010 08:55:25 pm by Reprobate »
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Re: UEFA calls clubs to account
      Reply #1: May 27, 2010 08:52:59 pm
      Great for the purists and football in general.  Hopefully we won't see anymore repeats of the Abramovich era at Chelsea or £250m Real Madrid summers etc.

Potentially bad news for us and as painful as it is to say.  It's a good thing for the long term.  Our foundations are laid.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: May 27, 2010 08:53:14 pm
      Well don't things just get better.

One day soon I just want to wake up from this absolute nightmare.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #3: May 27, 2010 09:01:08 pm
      It's a good thing for the future as we've got good income and a decent brand that sells globally.

In the short term though it's not so good... but I still think it's overall a good thing.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #4: May 27, 2010 09:03:08 pm
      I agree, and it's overdue - long term we are in a very good position, but short term, not so good.

However, this should see the end of the madness that entered the game with the sky sports era...
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5: May 27, 2010 09:10:37 pm
      This is worse for teams like Chelsea and Man City, who weren't historically great until they got moneybags owners. Suck on that Chelski.

We'll be f'd short term, but long term we should be okay. We are a global brand that will sustain itself, while Chelski's fairweather fans across the globe will flee once the team isn't at top level.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #6: May 27, 2010 09:11:30 pm
       :lmao:

This ll scare any potential buyer away and if they have any degree of business acumen (are you reading Moores and Parry) they wont consider paying anything stupid for the club. If paying anything at all!

What they will need to do is reduce the debt and turn the club around fast, financially,  in under 36 months.

So no one is going to pay Hicks what he wants and I really do have a horrible feeling that he is just going to continue to rape the club until
      it is put into administration or RBS call his bullshit bluff  leaving us  financially crippled for many years.

Hicks was the turd who pulled wings off flies as a boy.

He will make sure he leaves nothing but a carcase for the new ownership ..... because he is what he is.

SPITEFUL C*NT.

PS.The Good News Is ...

Bye Bye..... RatBoy, Shrek, Lazytov, Nandos bi*ch and FergieScum.
      Pull down the seat as you're flushed away.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: May 27, 2010 09:51:07 pm
      Like a lot of things this is good for us if we get rid of our current owners. New owners could invest what they want in the stadium the youth teams and use our comparatively large turn over to invest in the first team squad.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #8: May 27, 2010 11:01:30 pm
      Some good points raised and I agree with most of you that it's good in the long term as we should be able to do a lot better than break even each year. However we MUST get back into a sound financial state first AND catch up with the pack.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #9: May 27, 2010 11:04:14 pm
      Some good points raised and I agree with most of you that it's good in the long term as we should be able to do a lot better than break even each year. However we MUST get back into a sound financial state first AND catch up with the pack.

Which if dumb and dumber leave and are replaced with owners who provide adequate (not even excessive) investment in the squad and keep Benitez in charge I have full faith we can do.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #10: May 27, 2010 11:27:49 pm
      To be honest this would be a classic ruling - but I can see so many loopholes being made by the big clubs... This could start the 'break away league' if it goes through..!

Just think - clubs like;
                 England - Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City (Arsneal?)
                 Spain - Barca, Real Madrid, Valencia
                 Italy - Inter, AC Milan, Juve
                 France - Lyon, Paris SG, Marca

Would ALL be banned from Champs League in 3 years...

Basically theire bark is a lot worse than their bite - could you see any of the above actually being banned from Champs League?

However I would love to see this rule come in, along with a salary cap in the prem...
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #11: May 28, 2010 03:38:50 pm
      The Times were making the point today that although it may cap some of the 'excess' we see in todays game, it will actually make it much harder for small clubs to 'do a Fulham' and live the dream. Say a billionaire took over at, I don't know, Blackpool. They would be able to spend enough to have a crack at staying in the EPL but that's about it, they'd never catch up with the big guns and their huge revenues.

Whether you think that's a good thing or not depends on your perspective, I suppose.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #12: May 28, 2010 03:40:22 pm
      To be honest this would be a classic ruling - but I can see so many loopholes being made by the big clubs... This could start the 'break away league' if it goes through..!

Just think - clubs like;
                 England - Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City (Arsneal?)
                 Spain - Barca, Real Madrid, Valencia
                 Italy - Inter, AC Milan, Juve
                 France - Lyon, Paris SG, Marca

Would ALL be banned from Champs League in 3 years...

Basically theire bark is a lot worse than their bite - could you see any of the above actually being banned from Champs League?

However I would love to see this rule come in, along with a salary cap in the prem...
      And that's also a valid point. Would UEFA really be willing to shoot themselves in the foot and devalue their own competitions by booting out the big boys? I very much doubt it.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #13: May 29, 2010 06:24:07 pm
      And that's also a valid point. Would UEFA really be willing to shoot themselves in the foot and devalue their own competitions by booting out the big boys? I very much doubt it.

With Platini at the helm anything's possible, especially if it gives the French Clubs a better chance of winning a European title.
      lfcJT07
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #14: May 30, 2010 10:03:55 pm
      There is just no way out for liverpool is there??
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #15: May 31, 2010 01:47:17 am
      about time bring some accountabilty into soccer the fans pay in the end into inflated transfer fees for players who might be duds anyrate. bring in salary cap the wages getting out of control
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #16: Jun 01, 2010 01:59:26 am
      This is only bad news for us as it caps spending essentially leaving a 7th place team to compete with the top 4 not being allowed to outspend them. If we were still top 4 would be a good way of guaranteeing our position but it will make it harder for us to come back up in the future.

Quick Reply