Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

4th July 2010: Independence Day

Read 35265 times
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Re: 4th July 2010: Independence Day
      Reply #253: Jul 04, 2010 09:48:14 pm
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #254: Jul 04, 2010 09:49:07 pm
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #255: Jul 04, 2010 10:59:23 pm
      Went today.

Good turnout. Clearly a lot of Liverpool fans care passionately about their club.

Although I'm not sure what the message was that they wanted to get over. Especially when all four of Fitzys kids were resplendent in their brand new kits.

We picked up an interesting leaflet handed out by another fans group who are also advocating the kind of direct, no bullshit, approach recommended by fans on this forum.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #256: Jul 04, 2010 11:03:16 pm
      Hope this gets some good coverage. Anything that highlights the cause and hastens the exit of the two cancers deserves all of our support. Well done to all who attended.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #257: Jul 04, 2010 11:05:47 pm
      Agreed on the new shirt score. Thought there were a good few gawkers there today to be honest. Grown men wearing the new Liverpool shirt and trying to be part of something, rather than realising the reason they should be there was to do everything in their power to get the american owners out.

Nice of SOS to put the 'do' on so near to the club shop in Queen Square.
      keithlfc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts |
      Reply #258: Jul 04, 2010 11:10:20 pm
      Wasn't half like I was expecting, it wasn't a drive for SOS and the credit union in the way I imagined. I thought every single speech would be pushing the SOS membership but with the exception of one speech, it wasn't like that at all.

Neil Fitzmaurice and John Bishop were quality especially Bishop taking the piss out of the lads who were calling him a wool and the musicians were boss.

Don't think the message got across in as good a manner as it could of but it was alright. Fans did themselves proud, especially when singing Fields of Anfield Road with John Power and Peter Hooton on stage. F***ing rocking, then You'll Never Walk Alone came on and everybody just belted it out.

Yeah there wernt much pushing to sign up, more for the supporters credit union if anything which is imo a great idea. Really felt like everyone was there uniting for the same cause TO GET THEM YANK tw*ts OUT. First time i'd heard abput Cecil calling S.O.S Sons Of Strikers the slimey horrible b***ard.
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #259: Jul 04, 2010 11:17:12 pm
      I hope there was a good turnout for this and that something comes of your admirable efforts;) How many ignorant numpties turned up in their brand spankin new kits ?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #260: Jul 04, 2010 11:33:18 pm
      Enjoyed today. Very good event.

Like Billy mentioned above, some boss artists and speakers there. Karen Gill and Jay McKennas speeches were very good. Pete Wylie was superb!
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #261: Jul 04, 2010 11:36:01 pm
      Agreed. Pete Wylie was spot on!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #262: Jul 05, 2010 09:06:16 am
      Jay McKenna was excellent. His speech was exactly what the day needed and he smashed it.

The live acts were boss and there wasn't much pushing of the Credit Union or SOS in general. It was all done very well, Fitzy and John Bishop were class.

I haven't seen any pictures yet but it felt like a good turnout. Looking forward to seeing some reaction to it.
      yozz1982
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts |
      • http://kitster29.deviantart.com/
      Reply #263: Jul 05, 2010 10:26:24 am
      Really good event, feeling so rough this morning though
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #264: Jul 05, 2010 11:19:47 am
      Seen some boss tops there (and trainees, but that's a personal fetish :D) and I'm dying to get hold of one of the Brigade Rosse ones, with a Liverbird in the star rather than an AK. :D

Any idea where you can get them?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #265: Jul 05, 2010 04:44:12 pm
      ^^^^^^

10 bob shop. ;)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #266: Jul 05, 2010 04:46:48 pm
      I feel very privileged Joey that you want to to wear my name proudly.  ;)
      « Last Edit: Jul 05, 2010 04:57:41 pm by Ross »
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #267: Jul 05, 2010 04:55:05 pm
      So gutted that I couldn't go.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #268: Jul 05, 2010 05:01:16 pm
      I feel very privileged Joey that you want to to wear my name proudly.  ;)

So you should be.

John Power met me yesterday.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #269: Jul 05, 2010 07:20:43 pm
      John Power met me yesterday.

He's not joking either. I was there.

we were representing you mate. Hope things are ok.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #270: Jul 05, 2010 07:41:32 pm
      we were representing you mate. Hope things are ok.

Ditto Gareth. You were there in spirit mate. :)

Hope all is well.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #271: Jul 05, 2010 08:11:51 pm
      Spirit Of Shankly - Our Independence Day
      Monday 5th July 2010

Sunday 4th July 2010 will go down in the history of our Club. A day when we stood as one, and spoke with one voice, to tell Tom and George that they aren't wanted, and that the supporters want in. As 5,000 fans gathered on St George's Hall Plateau, those in attendance were addressed by a variety of speakers, highlighting the problems at our football club, the need and desire for change, and how we can play a pivotal part in our club's future.

The Rally kicked off at 12 noon with Shankly's voice booming out once again across St George's Hall Plateau. For those old enough to remember the times he stood in that very place, it sent a shiver down the spine. Actor and Comedian Neil Fitzmaurice did a fantastic job holding it all together as compere for the day and deserves everyone's thanks for that.

Fran Stanton, Union Chair, spoke passionately welcoming everyone to our Independence Day, and the reasons why it was needed.

Bill Shankly's granddaughter, Karen Gill, stated that she was there to carry on her grandfather's legacy, spoke wonderfully to the crowd "about how her grandfather would have recognised this new show of red strength" and was followed by Paul Rice, SOS Vice President making it clear what the day was all about, informing the assembled crowd about why and how the credit union has come about, and how fans can stake a claim for their football club by being a part of it.

Billy Hayes, General Secretary of the Communication Workers' Union who travelled to the Rally from Berlin, addressed the crowd urging supporters to take back what was rightfully theirs - he talked of his political education as having been obtained from inside Anfield as anywhere else and backed the Spirit of Shankly for what we were trying to achieve.

John Aldridge was joined on stage by fellow legend Howard Gayle and talked about the work being done by Share Liverpool and the Union and the way in which the owners were "suffocating" the Club and that they had to go.

Comedian John Bishop, provided some humour but unequivocal support for the campaign and is not to be missed when the video of the event goes out on the Union's website.

The final speeches of the day came from Steve Rotheram MP (who had travelled especially from London for the event) and James McKenna from Spirit Of Shankly. Steve reminded everyone about the need for us to make sure it is about our future, and that we would need to fight ourselves for what we believed in and not rely on the government supporting us, which he said wouldn't be forthcoming. James McKenna spoke passionately for all members of the Union in reminding everyone about why the Union had been formed, where it started from and urged everyone to play a part in taking our club back.

The speeches were mixed with excellent musical performances from John O'Connell and Ian McNabb. Terry O'Shea played his recently penned protest song "Sons of Anfield" and long time Union supporter John Power, another who had travelled to London and back in the day to appear, was excellent as ever playing some of his best as the crowd sang along.

Pete Wylie gave a new version of "Come Back" with suitably altered lyrics and the afternoon culminated in a brilliant rendition of Fields Of Anfield Road from John Power and the Union' own Peter Hooton and then all the performers getting on stage for a powerful rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone and the final haunting strains of "Shankly, Shankly" echoing once again around Lime Street.

The importance of yesterday cannot be stressed enough. It is the start of our aim to take a share of our Club back through the Spirit of Shankly Credit Union and more information will be released in the coming weeks.

Please click here http://www.spiritofshankly.com/documents/sos_credit_union.pdf to view the leaflet that was handed out at the Rally.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to the day, to our members and the non-members who attended and those who couldn't but were there in spirit. The Spirit of Shankly.

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/news/Spirit-Of-Shankly-_-Our-Independence-Day.html

P.S. They got the URL wrong in the email. Probably all still pissed. :D
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #272: Jul 05, 2010 08:52:11 pm
      Ditto Gareth. You were there in spirit mate. :)

Hope all is well.
      Thanks Kenny and Joey, means a lot.

And he's on the mend, thanks.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,223 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #273: Jul 05, 2010 10:25:54 pm
      Sounds like the day went very well with good numbers turning out.

Bit annoyed tho with the stories of people at the rally wearing the new jersey. Merchandise boycott? Not a penny more?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #274: Jul 06, 2010 11:33:18 pm
      Really glad I made the effort to get to this, I thought it hit the right note as well, a good mix of music and speeches.

As long as we all keep the pressure up, we hopefully will see some good results at the end of the day.

queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #275: Jul 07, 2010 09:36:57 pm
      Glad I went up quality day and hope something comes from it. Was gutted to see so many Standard Charterd Shirts, was looking out for the alt shirts from Jonny but did not see one which was disappointing. Would like to share an image of the day ...... just do not see this type of thing nowerdays...

Quick Reply