Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Transfer probe queries 17 deals. Clubs & players named.

Read 2428 times
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Transfer probe queries 17 deals. Clubs & players named.
      Jun 15, 2007 10:24:56 pm
      Link :-  http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6755991.stm

Seventeen transfers and five Premier League clubs have been named in Lord Stevens' final report into alleged transfer irregularities.
      Deals involving Chelsea, Middlesbrough, Bolton, Portsmouth and Newcastle have been highlighted in the report.

But there is no evidence of irregular payments to club officials or players.

Managers Sam Allardyce and Graeme Souness have been mentioned in Lord Stevens' report along with 15 agents, including Pini Zahavi.
      There was a perceived conflict of interest with Newcastle boss Allardyce and his former agent son Craig and Bolton Wanderers.

Stevens also reported "inconsistencies in evidence" provided by the former Newcastle manager Souness and Kenneth Shepherd, son of Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd.

Zahavi did not open his bank accounts for inspection and is accused of failing to co-operate fully with the inquiry.

The report also recommended that Fifa should investigate Zahavi's conduct.

Stevens also says that further inquiries should be carried out into agent Willie McKay registering a race horse in the name of Harry Redknapp.

Redknapp is a keen follower of horse-racing and owner of several thoroughbreds.

The 17 transfers 'uncleared':

Bolton
      Ali Al-Habsi, Tal Ben Haim, Blessing Kaku, Julio Correia.

Chelsea
      Didier Drogba, Petr Cech, Michael Essien.

Middlesbrough
      Fabio Rochemback, Yakubu.

Newcastle
      Jean Alain Boumsong, Emre Belozoglu, Amady Faye, Albert Luque.

Portsmouth
      Collins Mbesuma, Benjani Mwaruwari, Aliou Cisse.

One other transfer has not yet been disclosed.

Lord Stevens said in a statement: "Many lessons have been learned and strict adherence to and enforcement of the recommendations should ensure that the game and the transfer market can proceed in an untainted and transparent manner."

The Premier League will now send the findings to the FA and Fifa.

Football agents Zahavi and Barry Silkman were unhappy with claims they did not co-operate with Stevens' inquiry.

Zahavi admitted refusing to open his private bank account for inspection but he claims that no other foreign agent was as co-operative as him. Zahavi said: "It is ridiculous for agents to be condemned while the clubs are all supposed to be perfect."

Silkman added: "It is an absolute total lie. A complete lie. Whoever he is, Lord Stevens, he is a liar. The people who have done this are liars.
      "I co-operated 100%. I went to see them with my lawyer and showed them every single bank statement.

"They saw money coming into my account and money going out of my account."

Craig Allardyce says he will continue to co-operate with the inquiry.

A statement released on his behalf read: "As stated in the findings, Craig has always co-operated with the inquiry.

"He is awaiting and will shortly provide further documentation in order to help clarify outstanding issues in relation to the transfers which are 'uncleared'."

In a statement through his solicitors, Souness said: "I cannot understand why my name features in this report."

Portsmouth and Newcastle feel they have been vindicated by Stevens' findings.

A statement issued by Pompey said: "We're not surprised the club and our officials have been exonerated by the report.

"Although there are transfers involving Portsmouth FC, the continuing investigations are into the agents and not the club.   

"We always act in accordance with Premier League rules and have fully co-operated with this investigation."

Newcastle's statement read: "The report makes clear that Newcastle officials have done nothing wrong and have at all times offered their full co-operation."   

Newcastle also called on the agents named to "assist the inquiry in resolving their outstanding queries as soon as possible."

An FA spokesman said: "Following the final report of the Premier League's Quest Inquiry, the FA will give full consideration to its contents and the documentation that is due to be passed on by the Premier League and Quest."

The Premier League and the FA have agreed to carry out random spot-checks on future transfers using Quest.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Re: Transfer probe queries 17 deals. Clubs & players named.
      Reply #1: Jun 17, 2007 06:57:39 pm
      Hope they throw the book at them...

Should all get relegated in my balanced opinion ;)

i am fairly sure it will all be brushed under the carpet.  I read the police were considering action, but you just can't see it happening. Especially after a few briefcases get handed around.

Quick Reply