Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Avram Grant signs for West Ham

Read 905 times
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Avram Grant signs for West Ham
      Jun 03, 2010 01:35:31 pm
      Avram Grant has been confirmed as the new manager of West Ham and has agreed a four-year deal with the Upton Park club, subject to a work permit.

The former Portsmouth and Chelsea manager emerged as the hot favourite to take charge of the East London club following Gianfranco Zola's departure at the end of the season.

Hammers co-owners David Gold and David Sullivan put together a four-man shortlist for the role, which also included Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce, Cardiff manager Dave Jones and Blackpool's Ian Holloway.

But Israeli Grant was always the stand-out candidate and took a significant step closer to the job when he parted company with Pompey late last month.

The 55-year-old earned praise from all quarters as he guided the stricken South Coast club to the FA Cup final, where they were narrowly beaten by Chelsea, but was unable to prevent relegation to the Championship following a nine-point deduction for going into administration.

He inherits a West Ham side which only narrowly avoided the drop last season, a miserable campaign which cost Zola his job following a number of very public spats with Sullivan and Gold.

Perfect fit
      Grant told the club's official website: "I am proud and honoured to be the manager of West Ham. It will be an exciting challenge and I am ready to do my best.

"This is a fantastic club with great fans and a history that is respected around the world. I am already looking forward to getting to work with my players in July and preparing for the new season."

Co-owners Gold and Sullivan were united in their praise for a man they hope will help guide the Hammers to success in the new season and beyond.

Gold said: "I have to say that having met Avram and spent some time with him that we have got our man. He is a perfect fit.

"We needed experience and stability. He is a footballing man and quite frankly his reputation speaks for itself. He has a great sense of humour and I am sure the players will relate to him and the fans will warm to him."

And Sullivan added: "I am delighted to welcome Avram to West Ham and am confident he will prove a success. We have taken our time over this appointment and are certain we have got the right man.

"We are all looking forward to next season with new players coming in and Avram's arrival is just the latest reason for real optimism."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6188813,00.html

Personally, i think we have dodged a bullet here.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Avram Grant signs for West Ham
      Reply #1: Jun 03, 2010 11:28:42 pm
      Agreed Semple, didn't want him as our Manager. Grumpy old soul looks like something out of the Adams family.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: Jun 03, 2010 11:30:52 pm
      Hmm, give it 2 days and he'll be linked with us.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,246 posts | 8577 
      Reply #3: Jun 04, 2010 02:08:12 pm
      So brothels in the east end of London will be expecting a huge surge in business soon!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #4: Jun 04, 2010 02:19:56 pm
      So brothels in the east end of London will be expecting a huge surge in business soon!

F***ing right they will.

Definitely dodged a bullet there. Although if West Ham win the league this year, I'll eat my words. :f_tongueincheek:

Quick Reply