Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

England 1-1 USA (Gp C) Sat 12 Jun 7.30pm

Read 17486 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Re: England 1-1 USA (Gp C) Sat 12 Jun 7.30pm
      Reply #207: Jun 12, 2010 11:20:39 pm
      Get off it mate. I'm a yank as well, and we played far from "great football."

We were organized in the back, and we picked a couple good spots going forward but other then that we offered the game nothing. It was impressive from DeMerit, Dolo and Boca but Donovan was coming inside far too much and Dempsey didn't get on the ball at all.

Bradley needs to play Altidore alone, put Dempsey behind him and bring Holden (natural width) into the game if we want to look better going forward.

I thought we (the USA) played a solid game, but we didn't play great football. Far from it.
      The first 15-20 minutes we looked awful.  However we were attacking non stop, we had great scoring chances, the defense kept us in the match and we walked away with a draw.  A draw against a team that everyone said was going to kill us 3-0, 4-0 etc... Every comment or story about the match was how England were going to destroy us and it didnt happen.

I am a Football supporter.  I follow Liverpool every match, every day.  I love football and I know football.  I know who the best teams and players are. But, I think people need to realize that the US are getting better and better and were not an easy 3 points anymore. I think the team deserves respect and I think they showed it tonight. We were down 1-0 after 5 minutes and we kept creating chances and walked out with a draw. They didn't give up and roll over. They moved the ball,kept England guessing, matched up man for man and did what they had too. They played one of the best teams in the world, in the biggest tournament in the world and walked out with a draw.

The US team continues to win big matches and play good football and everyone continues saying it is a fluke or dumb luck but you dont continue having "dumb luck" every match. Eventually the US team are going to be considered a top team and if other squads like England,Italy,Spain,France,Germany etc,etc..continue to think were an easy win its going to bite them in the ass. The last 18 months we have beaten top teams and squads and continue to get better.

How many times does a team have to win a "big" match before they are considered a "good" team. Why cant we beat England? Why did we beat Spain and Egypt and Turkey?  

I dont think were going to win the WC. But, I think after the WC the world and FIFA rankings will put us higher than 14th and the US program will be given respect.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #208: Jun 12, 2010 11:22:09 pm
      Glad that Gerrard, Johnson and Carragher played a part. I really think Gerrard, Johnson and Heskey played well tonight. Early goal by Stevie. Made up for him. Played well as captain too. Made some good tackles here and there.

Personally, I don't think Robert Green should be at fault for the draw, but for the goal, yes. I actually wanted Joe Hart, even though lack of experience, to start. Robert Green may have made a mess of Dempsey's shot but I think questions should be raised towards Lampard and Rooney, whom I thought didn't do well enough.

I think U.S.A. did well in holding on. On paper, they were no match for an all-star England side but I think a point is good for them. Jozy Altidore almost got on the scoresheet as well. After going a goal down early, I think U.S.A. recovered well. And IMO, Altidore, Dempsey, and Donovan together are a decent set of attackers.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #209: Jun 12, 2010 11:31:28 pm
      YANK_LFC_FAN, people do see that the USA are getting better each year. Nobody will deny that, so I'm not sure who you're trying to convince. But you can't really say the US continues to win big matches when the only big matches that count are the ones in World Cups. I also think you will at some point become a very good team, you're developing into that direction, but it's going to take a while.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #210: Jun 12, 2010 11:32:14 pm
      England hyped up. Then fail to deliver.

Who'd have thought it?
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #211: Jun 12, 2010 11:34:27 pm
      The first 15-20 minutes we looked awful.  However we were attacking non stop, we had great scoring chances, the defense kept us in the match and we walked away with a draw.  A draw against a team that everyone said was going to kill us 3-0, 4-0 etc... Every comment or story about the match was how England were going to destroy us and it didnt happen.

I am a Football supporter.  I follow Liverpool every match, every day.  I love football and I know football.  I know who the best teams and players are. But, I think people need to realize that the US are getting better and better and were not an easy 3 points anymore. I think the team deserves respect and I think they showed it tonight. We were down 1-0 after 5 minutes and we kept creating chances and walked out with a draw. They didn't give up and roll over. They moved the ball,kept England guessing, matched up man for man and did what they had too. They played one of the best teams in the world, in the biggest tournament in the world and walked out with a draw.

The US team continues to win big matches and play good football and everyone continues saying it is a fluke or dumb luck but you dont continue having "dumb luck" every match. Eventually the US team are going to be considered a top team and if other squads like England,Italy,Spain,France,Germany etc,etc..continue to think were an easy win its going to bite them in the ass. The last 18 months we have beaten top teams and squads and continue to get better.

How many times does a team have to win a "big" match before they are considered a "good" team. Why cant we beat England? Why did we beat Spain and Egypt and Turkey?  

I dont think were going to win the WC. But, I think after the WC the world and FIFA rankings will put us higher than 14th and the US program will be given respect.

You don't need to convince me of my own country. I played college soccer with Stuart Holden, I've been a die hard States fan for years. We didn't play that great of football, but we we're pretty strong defensively.

Still would of rather of seen Edu in there, not Clark and Holden in there, not Findley. 4-2-3-1 should be our formation, with that set of players.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #212: Jun 12, 2010 11:36:52 pm
      England hyped up. Then fail to deliver.

Who'd have thought it?

It's all change until the tournament starts. Capello's done this, improved that. First game, they're right in there.

In case you didn't know :f_tongueincheek: I'm not really fussed myself but it's a horrible circus that the media creates. They just can't leave it alone.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Re: Re: England 1-1 USA (Gp C) Sat 12 Jun 7.30pm
      Reply #213: Jun 12, 2010 11:44:31 pm
      Before the game dutch commentators were actually discussing that they don't see England as one of the favourites and that english media are putting way too much pressure on your team, declaring them the new champions pretty much before having played a game. They might have a point.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #214: Jun 12, 2010 11:51:16 pm
      Before the game dutch commentators were actually discussing that they don't see England as one of the favourites and that english media are putting way too much pressure on your team, declaring them the new champions pretty much before having played a game. They might have a point.

Yeah, in a way. I guess.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #215: Jun 12, 2010 11:51:59 pm
      Favourites??? You jest.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #216: Jun 13, 2010 12:02:27 am
      Not a great game.  Lampard went missing far too often & not for the first time this tournament, far too many 'simple' passes went astray.  Found it quite strange, that although Lennon seemed to have the beating of his man, England seemed to focus more on attacking centrally or through the ineffectual Wright-Phillips. 
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #217: Jun 13, 2010 12:03:08 am
      England 1 - 1 Jabulani

Why did it have to be today of all days that we didn't take our chances?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #218: Jun 13, 2010 12:09:59 am
      No excuses from green he should have dealt with that simple shot.

Howard did well he made great saves with the same ball.

Pressure playing for england is having a detrimental affect on the mentality of the players who are playing under threat rather than freedom.

What i would love from the press regarding england is to let the players know take us far as you can no matter what the outcome and we will be happy and maybe then we might just bury the ghost of 66.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #219: Jun 13, 2010 12:15:38 am
      Pressure from everything.

Every world cup it is this...

" The best team since 66 "
      " our greatest chances if rooney is fit "

Rooney was playing today? He went missing for large parts of the game, drifting into Midfield.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #220: Jun 13, 2010 12:16:16 am
      Expect to see your local church of England with similar signs up very soon...

This one was just after Kalac did the same thing last WC for Australia.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #221: Jun 13, 2010 12:18:52 am

It's been that way since '66' and all it always does is put pressure on a team that would never win it anyway, and by doing that it takes away the only chance England have and that's to be underdogs so that they can show others that they can play,  having an albatross around the neck is always to much for the England team to live up to. Every team in Europe finds that at some time or another no-one at home gives them a chance, be it the Dutch, Spanish or the French none of them have had to live up to the hype put on the English team in every tournament they get to,the England team have to live with the nonsense of (we are going to win it mentality) every time they go into a WC tournament. The media need to give them a break it's been over 40 years since England have won anything and the closest they got was one semi final place in 1990 and yet the media still expect the team to go there and win, crazy. The Media takes away any chance they have before the tournament starts. Get real a lot of the fans know so why don't you. To sum it up in Prem terms it would be like saying Stoke are going to win the Prem every year and when it don't happen the media then puts out a lot of nonsense why they bottled it but it should be better next time.
      « Last Edit: Jun 13, 2010 12:41:19 am by bartman49 »
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #222: Jun 13, 2010 12:20:41 am
      Kinda feel for Rob Green.

He was unlucky in his first World Cup game, IMO. He was as fault for the goal but not for the result, though the goal did change things but England didn't take their chances.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #223: Jun 13, 2010 12:38:46 am
      Rooney was crap his first touch was woeful he looked as though someone had spiked his Lucozade, to be honest the Liverpool lads were the only ones who played with any commitment, Carra should have started.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #224: Jun 13, 2010 12:50:03 am
      Rooney was crap his first touch was woeful he looked as though someone had spiked his Lucozade, to be honest the Liverpool lads were the only ones who played with any commitment, Carra should have started.

I agree. Gerrard led like captain and Johnson was dangerous. Carra came on and as usual, showed his "take no prisoners" tackling attitude.

Thought Maxi and Masch did okay for Argentina as well.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #225: Jun 13, 2010 12:56:45 am
      I know that a lot of the commentators here in the States on ESPN think that the Dutch could go far and have a shot of winning it.  I didn't know they were that good.  I always hear about Brazil,England,Spain Argentina,Italy but a lot of people like the Dutch to win it all.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #226: Jun 13, 2010 01:02:43 am
      I know that a lot of the commentators here in the States on ESPN think that the Dutch could go far and have a shot of winning it.  I didn't know they were that good.  I always hear about Brazil,England,Spain Argentina,Italy but a lot of people like the Dutch to win it all.

Dutch need to defend, to have a shot. They are absolutely deadly on the attack.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      Reply #227: Jun 13, 2010 01:04:11 am
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #228: Jun 13, 2010 01:04:58 am
      If Serbia get a result tomorrow it will be interesting.

If England and the USA are the best two teams in that group then it's a pretty poor group.

Heskey still getting England games is a joke IMO.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      Reply #229: Jun 13, 2010 01:08:56 am
      Heskey did well to set up the goal to be honest.

SWP should of tucked away a clear chance.

Personally GJ was man of the match, Gerrard was playing for club and country to be honest.
      To him that goal meant the world and was as big as Istanbul personally, he was excellent the first 20 minutes. He was quality!

Quick Reply