Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Liverpool offer Rafael Benitez a way out of Anfield

Read 54116 times
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Liverpool offer Rafael Benitez a way out of Anfield
      Jun 02, 2010 09:17:52 pm
      Liverpool offer Rafa a way out of Anfield
      Liverpool have attempted to pave the way for Rafael Benitez’s departure by offering their manager a compromise deal to leave the club this summer.

In what amounts to a vote of no confidence in Benitez, the Liverpool board approved a proposal to the Spaniard which would see him depart Anfield with a lucrative pay off worth in the region of £3 million up front.

According to the terms of the five-year contract he signed in March 2009, Benitez is entitled to a £16 million severance package but given their current financial predicament there is no possibility of Liverpool being able to come up with that kind of money, regardless of their desire to bring about a change of manager.

As such, the club’s hierarchy is hoping that Benitez will stand aside without demanding the windfall that he would otherwise due or else they will have no option but to allow him to continue in the role he has been in since the summer of 2004 in the knowledge that he is no longer wanted.

Though Benitez is yet to accept the offer, the chances of a compromise being reached were raised by indications from the 50-year-old that he would not be able to take the club any further if, as expected, the current restrictions on transfer spending are extended into another summer. Despite claims by co-owner Tom Hicks last week that Liverpool are set to spend big in the coming months, the reality is that their transfer budget is currently limited to £15 million at most and there are yet to be any assurances that they will be able to re-invest the proceeds from player sales to any great extent.

Had Benitez received the guarantees he had been looking for during talks with Martin Broughton, Liverpool’s chairman, then the current situation would not have arisen but with both parties unable to envisage a way of working together for the good of the club a parting of the ways now looks increasingly inevitable.

Such is Liverpool’s palsied fiscal state, they recently posted record annual losses of £55 million and are saddled with debts totalling £351 million, Broughton was simply unable to offer Benitez the guarantees he was looking for and after a desperately disappointing campaign in which they finished seventh in the Barclays Premier League and failed to qualify for next season’s Champions League the club’s hierarchy would not have been keen to extend Benitez’s tenure anyway.

Inter Milan ready to offer Benitez an escape route to Italy should he show any willingness to follow in the footsteps of Jose Mourinho, his managerial arch rival, although Benitez’s agent, Manuel Garcia Quillon, has insisted that the reigning European and Italian champions have not made any contact with his client.

“I don’t know anything about Inter,” Quillon said. “No one has contacted me, it’s just transfer speculation.”

Massimo Moratti, the Inter president, is a confirmed admirer of Benitez and is monitoring his position. On Monday, he made his admiration and his interest public when he told reporters that “I have always thought Benitez is a good coach, but he is linked with Liverpool” and he will be encouraged by the fact that those links now appear to be loosening.

It would be problematic for Liverpool to find a top class replacement given that they cannot offer managerial candidates either a squad that is equipped for a title challenge or a substantial transfer package to tempt them. The situation is further complicated by the fact that the club is up for sale and the Liverpool board may not feel able to offer Benitez’s successor a long-term contract in case potential investors are not impressed by their choice. That could mean a temporary manger is the only viable solution, at least until a buyer is found.

It is against this backdrop of managerial intrigue and endemic uncertainty at Anfield that Real Madrid have raised the stakes in their bid to sign Steven Gerrard. The front page of yesterday’s Marca, the newspaper that is most associated with Real, carried a picture of the Liverpool captain and a story revealing that he is Jose Mourinho’s number one transfer target.

Though adamant that Gerrard is not for sale, Liverpool are bracing themselves for an offer, probably in the region of €30 million, from Real and Pepe Reina is hoping that both club and player will resist the overtures from the Spanish giants.

“I hope Gerrard will not go to Real Madrid and that he will stay with Liverpool for a long time, that he will be with us for the rest of his career,” the goalkeeper said. “I understand that something will happen, that Real Madrid are interested in Gerrard because Mourinho knows him very well and he is a footballer who can play in any team in the world.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article7142868.ece
      « Last Edit: Jun 03, 2010 06:49:25 pm by JD »
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts | 13 
      Re: Liverpool pave the way for benitez!!!!
      Reply #1: Jun 02, 2010 09:22:09 pm
      If this is true, then it's a flamin disaster. We would have lost the one person, who would be prepared to fight for the club. Purslow I hope one day, someone stabs you in the back the way you have others. 
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #2: Jun 02, 2010 09:29:57 pm
      If this is true, this might be the beginning of the end.

Hope to God its not, but anything with that slimey Broughton in the middle of it is always a concern.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #3: Jun 02, 2010 09:32:11 pm
      I'm F***ing tired of this. Never did I think I would witness this sh*te. Doesn't seem like it's even going to end either.

Can we have our club back, please?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #4: Jun 02, 2010 09:32:41 pm
      Tony Barrett wouldn't make this stuff up.

Good luck for the future Rafa.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #5: Jun 02, 2010 09:34:02 pm
      Tony Barrett wouldn't make this stuff up.

Good luck for the future Rafa.

:(
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #6: Jun 02, 2010 09:34:38 pm
      http://blogs.bettor.com/Rafael-Benitez-aiming-to-leave-Liverpool-a11906#review

Check my correction comment to the author about our name !

Ar**hole.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #7: Jun 02, 2010 09:36:11 pm
      I am so depressed at what the club I hold close to my heart is going through! Please get the club sold, and if rafa is going, get a good replacement in to get this club back the way it was! Just hope rafa's agent is right and it's just rumour  :-\
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #8: Jun 02, 2010 09:37:06 pm
      F*** yank scum. Get the f*** out of our club now, and let Rafa actually have some decent money to spend in the summer.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #9: Jun 02, 2010 09:37:32 pm
      God I hate those F***ing yanks, is this the beginning of the end? :mad:
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Re: Liverpool offer Rafael Benitez a way out of Anfield
      Reply #10: Jun 02, 2010 09:38:29 pm
      This absolute f***in bullshit!!! Our club is being dragged through the frickin sh*t!

Words can't explain how angry I am right now. F**k!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #11: Jun 02, 2010 09:38:33 pm
      Last year we all saw our club on the verge of progressing very far. Now look. I can't take this.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #12: Jun 02, 2010 09:41:34 pm
      This is disasterous! Feel like crying!
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #13: Jun 02, 2010 09:42:06 pm
      Also, why the f*** would Rafa accept £3m when he would be entitled to £16m ?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #14: Jun 02, 2010 09:43:40 pm
      F***ing hell.

If the situation with our owners does not improve, then Rafa may very well be the last world class manager to set foot in Anfield sporting Liverpool colors for a very long time.
      lfcinpa
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 109 posts |
      Reply #15: Jun 02, 2010 09:45:08 pm
      Madscouser,

Because he only gets the 16M if he get sacked.  H&G won't sack him because they don't want to pay.  If he walks on his own accord he gets nothing.  This is a compromise where both parties would agree that Rafa would step down and he would receive 3M for it.

This is awful news.  If true this will no doubt have all kinds of implications on the team as we know it.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2829 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #16: Jun 02, 2010 09:45:53 pm

Christ almighty. Well in Eurored

Refuse to comment on anything to do with those 2
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #17: Jun 02, 2010 09:46:27 pm
      F***ing hell.

If the situation with our owners does not improve, then Rafa may very well be the last world class manager to set foot in Anfield sporting Liverpool colors for a very long time.
      To right mate, no one else would want to come here. :mad:
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #18: Jun 02, 2010 09:49:08 pm
      Madscouser,

Because he only gets the 16M if he get sacked.  H&G won't sack him because they don't want to pay.  If he walks on his own accord he gets nothing.  This is a compromise where both parties would agree that Rafa would step down and he would receive 3M for it.

This is awful news.  If true this will no doubt have all kinds of implications on the team as we know it.

That I get, but why would Rafa want to walk for £3m, knowing that the yanks would have to pay £16m for him to walk. we all know Rafa is stubborn, so the only way for those yankee f**** to get rid of him is to sack him.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #19: Jun 02, 2010 09:50:09 pm
      sh*t news that.

Good luck in the future Rafa. :(
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #20: Jun 02, 2010 09:52:59 pm
      If this is true, i'll be like an absolute b***ard, them cu*ts who are running the club are only willing to provide £5 million transfer funds but they are willing to pay Rafa £3 million to F**k off one of the only good things about our rotten sinking club.

I want Hicks Gillette Broughton Purslow and Ayres out F***ing now.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #21: Jun 02, 2010 09:53:24 pm
       Its a pity we cannot get rid of Hicks and Gillett for 3 million quid,now that would be good business.In 25 years time when people read about RAFA they will wonder how he put up with so much sh*t for so long and how he kept L.F.C. in the premier league with the financial constraints placed on him.I have seen many managers from George Kay and without a doubt RAFA is as loyal to the cause our best managers have been.If RAFA does leave he owes us nothing.
      lfcinpa
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 109 posts |
      Reply #22: Jun 02, 2010 09:53:30 pm
      That I get, but why would Rafa want to walk for £3m, knowing that the yanks would have to pay £16m for him to walk. we all know Rafa is stubborn, so the only way for those yankee f**** to get rid of him is to sack him.

Maybe the owners are forcing his hand by giving him no funds.  They may be doing anything they can other than actually sacking him, in an effort to make his life miserable so he leaves on his own accord.  I mean how many more years would Rafa stay without being given reinforcements?

Quick Reply