Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

PROTEST: Tonight - 6pm Anfield

Read 23501 times
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Re: PROTEST: Tonight - 6pm Anfield
      Reply #138: Jun 04, 2010 12:17:23 am
      Appreciate ur honest reply JD. I was only responding to those who believe it was a good idea.
      As for 'middle' america, they couldn`t really give a toss about liverpool but for those on the coasts who are more aware of issues outside of the states then i'm afraid they very well may have less sympathy for the cause. That isn't good. We want the positive message to get onto espn out here and bring people together to condemn hicks and gillette and not be opposed to the cause. Thats just the way good natured americans feel.
      I respect ur opinion and i hope u respect my insight into how the american 'soccer' fans may feel.
      Again, back onto the common cause of ousting those two fuckers
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #139: Jun 04, 2010 12:26:10 am
      Just noticed this tweet from SpiritofShankly

It wasn't a SOS protest tonight. We cannot condone actions that you state, but there is a lot of anger there.

Had their media man there though. Not sure what to make of this.

On the one hand it serves as a reminder that powerful events can be produced without the SOS, instead using only internet forums and good old word of mouth.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #140: Jun 04, 2010 12:27:52 am
      Coverage on Sky News. Shows the protests the flag being set aflame our champions league win and Rafa on stage dancing. Jason McAteer and Aldo interviewed.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #141: Jun 04, 2010 12:34:04 am
      If the protest was getting news coverage thats brilliant. More needed to drive home the message i think.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #142: Jun 04, 2010 12:34:25 am
      Coverage on Sky News. Shows the protests the flag being set aflame our champions league win and Rafa on stage dancing. Jason McAteer and Aldo interviewed.
      I'm surprised nobody's combined them on Youtube to Rafa dancing on a burning American flag.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #143: Jun 04, 2010 12:35:29 am
      I'm surprised nobody's combined them on Youtube to Rafa dancing on a burning American flag.

There's time yet JD.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #144: Jun 04, 2010 12:36:21 am
      For all those who attended tonight, thank you from those of us who could not make it because of logistical reasons.

Well in to Joey for dropping the plans he had to make his presence felt and by what Billy said, started a fair few chants. Nice one mate.

Thanks also to Billy for giving us a heads up on what it was like out there.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #145: Jun 04, 2010 12:36:51 am
      Cracking idea JD. .  Your on fire tonight. . . Ill get my coat
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #146: Jun 04, 2010 12:38:29 am
      I'm up in Appleby and this week is "Gipsy week",We've got around 10,000 of them from around the UK and Ireland,up here,drinking,trading and eating us out of bacon,sausage and anything else fried.I had my LFC top on today(I felt I needed to do something to mark Rafa's departure).Many were supportive of our protest efforts,and July 4th protest got a massive response.It needs to be done so we will.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #147: Jun 04, 2010 12:48:22 am
      The majority of Americans are oblivious to most foreign news, they have very few news channels and the news they do see is heavily edited so the likelyhood of this story about a burnt flag getting airtime is extremely remote.
      Nevertheless it could be used as a diversion as has been seen on this thread so in that context it wasn't helpful and takes some of the focus off the real issue.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #148: Jun 04, 2010 12:54:11 am
      They'll f**king try, but they won't get very far.

god that made me laugh !!! brilliant
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Reply #149: Jun 04, 2010 01:52:26 am
      The majority of Americans are oblivious to most foreign news, they have very few news channels and the news they do see is heavily edited so the likelyhood of this story about a burnt flag getting airtime is extremely remote.
      Nevertheless it could be used as a diversion as has been seen on this thread so in that context it wasn't helpful and takes some of the focus off the real issue.

First I want to thank everyone that made it to the protest today. You represent all of us . Did a wonderful job today.

Stuey pretty much nailed it , this won't be a big deal over here. 99% of Americans will never see this. I cant see it catching steam here, we've pretty much seen our flag being burned all over the world .  I know the flag burning wasn't meant to be anti-American, it's about anti dumb and dumberer and what they've done to our club these past 3 years. Fans are rightfully pissed. Just so happens these two clowns are Yanks.

Personally, I dont like to watch my flag being burned, I do find it somewhat offensive. I think most people would agree about seeing their own flags being burned. I was kinda dissapointed it happened , and I hope it doesnt happen again.
      I cant see how it will help our cause.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #150: Jun 04, 2010 09:01:47 am
      For all those who attended tonight, thank you from those of us who could not make it because of logistical reasons.

Well in to Joey for dropping the plans he had to make his presence felt and by what Billy said, started a fair few chants. Nice one mate.

Thanks also to Billy for giving us a heads up on what it was like out there.

No worries mate. I turned up late after the protest and still got bevvied. ;)

While I don't agree with the flag burning, and I said a couple of times while I was there that it was going to attract negative attention, it has certainly sparked a reaction. Hopefully the two lying beauts will feel the same.

In a similar manner to the 'Cowboys' reference on the billboard campaign, it was not a reference to Americans in general. I do hope that people will realise we are not generalising against a Nationality. We have enough of a stereotype against people from our great city, so why would we do it to someone else?

With reference to the protest, it got coverage so it went well in my book. There where quiet spells but on the whole, the people who turned up all had the same Anti-H&G agenda. Of course there were a few Rafa chants. That was bound to happen. Regardless of what you think of Benitez the manager, Benitez the man has been fighting alongside us against Tom & George from the off. He deserves our respect for that and I am sad to see him go.

It was a result. But it was nothing in comparison to what July 4th will be.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #151: Jun 04, 2010 09:19:08 am
      No worries mate. I turned up late after the protest and still got bevvied. ;)

While I don't agree with the flag burning, and I said a couple of times while I was there that it was going to attract negative attention, it has certainly sparked a reaction. Hopefully the two lying beauts will feel the same.

In a similar manner to the 'Cowboys' reference on the billboard campaign, it was not a reference to Americans in general. I do hope that people will realise we are not generalising against a Nationality. We have enough of a stereotype against people from our great city, so why would we do it to someone else?

With reference to the protest, it got coverage so it went well in my book. There where quiet spells but on the whole, the people who turned up all had the same Anti-H&G agenda. Of course there were a few Rafa chants. That was bound to happen. Regardless of what you think of Benitez the manager, Benitez the man has been fighting alongside us against Tom & George from the off. He deserves our respect for that and I am sad to see him go.

It was a result. But it was nothing in comparison to what July 4th will be.

Joey mate what were the numbers like??
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #152: Jun 04, 2010 09:23:27 am
      The only way that we are going to have any affect on the present owners is by hitting them in their pockets. I feel any demonstrations should be targeted, high impact and very symbolic. Besides from the obvious like a totall embargo on all club merchandise and any future demonstrations I feel  should be at the LFC shops at Anfield and L1.
      We should maybe consider a total boycott of maybe one home game per month with a full picket around the ground, thereby capturing full media exposure. These are very dire times and as I see it call for desperate action. No more talking to the likes of Purslow only action from here on in.

I also don't see SOS as the platform to take this forward, they donnot and have not displayed any teeth at all. I feel now is the time to stop F***ing about and get down to it. We desperately need a body to organise us.
      Any idea's
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #153: Jun 04, 2010 09:39:00 am
      We should maybe consider a total boycott of maybe one home game per month with a full picket around the ground, thereby capturing full media exposure.

That may well be a useful strategy.  Personally I won't be attending any games until the owners are gone but will lend my presence were possible to a picket out side the ground.
      I also don't see SOS as the platform to take this forward, they donnot and have not displayed any teeth at all. I feel now is the time to stop f**king about and get down to it. We desperately need a body to organise us.
      Any idea's
      Quite a lot of staff are members of SOS, I have made my position clear that I am not for the reason you mention.  I feel that in some ways they have lost their way and the ground is shifting underneath them.  Yesterday's demo was the result of a post across a few LFC forums and sites, with relatively little notice in terms of time.

I have at no time received any communication from SOS or a representative.  You may consider this surprising when over 150,000 fans visit either here or the website once a month.  Multiply that by the number of LFC websites and you wouldn't think it would be too difficult for SOS to engage a strong relationship for what is in effect 'their media'.

Either way, all I can urge is that those attending the SOS meeting next week vote. And that they vote for change.  Be it a mixing up of those on the committee or more importantly vote for a change in direction.

Billboards, chats with the Premier League boss are all very nice - but essentially fruitless.  They need to get a bit more hardline I'm afraid and match boycotting, season ticket renewals, picketing outside the ground and at the least a full ban on purchasing items from the club store, both online and their shops is the only realistic method of attack.

CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #154: Jun 04, 2010 09:52:22 am
      Either way, all I can urge is that those attending the SOS meeting next week vote. And that they vote for change.  Be it a mixing up of those on the committee or more importantly vote for a change in direction.

Billboards, chats with the Premier League boss are all very nice - but essentially fruitless.  They need to get a bit more hardline I'm afraid and match boycotting, season ticket renewals, picketing outside the ground and at the least a full ban on purchasing items from the club store, both online and their shops is the only realistic method of attack.

I agree with you 100% there JD. The chats and the protests have served their purpose and they will not take the campaign any further than they already have.

If we are to force their hand, a full boycott needs to be in place for matches and club stores. 

I have only recently joined, so I'm not entirely sure how it will work, but I intend to express my desire for them to move in that direction. Direct action is the only way now. They are selling up, but we need to show them that they will not rape us or hold us for ransom any further. 
      Mensur-YNWA
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #155: Jun 04, 2010 10:11:08 am
      Please all you reds PROTEST AGAINST THOSE SHITS WE HAVE IN board please, All Liverpool fans are shocked here in Kosovo we cant be in Anfield , please .
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #156: Jun 04, 2010 10:41:15 am
      That is a disgrace.  Any LFC supporter involved in burning that flag should be ashamed of themselves.  You don't just burn another Nation's flag because you don't like a person from that country.

Once again... a minority of LFC supporters giving the rest of us a bad name.

F**k off lad, they're raping our club, although I'd prefer to see Gillett and Hicks burning personally.

cu*ts like you make me embarrassed to be a Liverpool fan at times.
      djdan
      • Banned

• 189 posts | -30 
      Reply #157: Jun 04, 2010 10:43:06 am
      Yeah, because we speak out against idiots.  How embarrasing. 

Were you one of them? Burning a Nation's flag because you hate two persons from that country is shameful.  In my day, they used to teach us respect.
      dodgy
      • Forum Ian St John

• 426 posts | 14 
      Reply #158: Jun 04, 2010 10:44:30 am
      Yeah, because we speak out against idiots.  How embarrasing. 

Were you one of them? Burning a Nation's flag because you hate two persons from that country is shameful.  In my day, they used to teach us respect.

You really are a dwad and a dosser

djdan
      • Banned

• 189 posts | -30 
      Reply #159: Jun 04, 2010 10:45:36 am
      I'm not the only one who's pointed out how wrong it is to burn the flag though am I?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #160: Jun 04, 2010 10:48:23 am
      Yeah, because we speak out against idiots.  How embarrasing.  

Were you one of them? Burning a Nation's flag because you hate two persons from that country is shameful.  In my day, they used to teach us respect.

It maybe not the best way to make a point, but don't come on here and rag about that. Just F***ing shut it. There is much more at stake here than a flag, which the point has been made VERY CLEARLY that whatever you feel, at the end of the day the meaning was against two particular Americans, not the nation itself.

If the only thing you can muster up to get a cob on about is the burning of the flag, then you obviously have no F***ing clue.

Respect? Don't even start on respect while two F***ing cu*ts disrespect the memory of all the great man like Shanks and destroy the club.

Get a clue.

I'm not the only one who's pointed out how wrong it is to burn the flag though am I?

No, but you're the only one who actually is making a deal of it. Others at least accept it and just hope it doesn't happen again.

These are drastic and emotional times for many, and that flag burning was on a day of high emotion. Get in tune with the F***ing times for gods sake and realize what is happening here.

Quick Reply