Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

PROTEST: Tonight - 6pm Anfield

Read 23637 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Re: PROTEST: Tonight - 6pm Anfield
      Reply #161: Jun 04, 2010 10:49:04 am
      F**k off lad, they're raping our club, although I'd prefer to see Gillett and Hicks burning personally.

cu*ts like you make me embarrassed to be a Liverpool fan at times.
      It's embarrassing that he could attempt to classify himself as a fan and even more so the longer he is allowed to post sh*te on this forum.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #162: Jun 04, 2010 10:50:18 am
      The second part of David's post is right.

I didn't agree with the burning of a nation's flag but yesterday's event was purely against the owners and not the nation itself.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8544 
      Reply #163: Jun 04, 2010 10:51:09 am
      So all Liverpool fans should happily acclaim themselves to be one and the same with a minority of disrespectful idiots?

I happily am not one and the same with the people who burn another nations flag.  If the owners were English... would you have burnt the flag of England?

Saw the English flag get burned in Istanbul because some Southern pr**k turned up with one, which he was quickly relieved of and had to stand there as a group of scousers torched it.

I'm not the only one who's pointed out how wrong it is to burn the flag though am I?

Really don't care what you think, the majority here and outside the ground know those two are raping the club to F***ing bits, so if it upsets them in any F***ing way, then good and the rest of middle America can F**k off too!!

WE WANT OUR CLUB BACK!!
      djdan
      • Banned

• 189 posts | -30 
      Reply #164: Jun 04, 2010 11:00:22 am
      You don't care what I think, but can't stop quoting me and ranting?

I point out the flag burning because it was shameful.  Many of you cannot accept that. 
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #165: Jun 04, 2010 11:02:40 am

I point out the flag burning because it was shameful.  Many of you cannot accept that. 

We take it in F***ing context you blind fool. You don't seem to accept whats happening at out club, which is of far more importance than a F***ing flag burning. if you were a real fan, you'd accept that.

djdan
      • Banned

• 189 posts | -30 
      Reply #166: Jun 04, 2010 11:04:53 am
      I haven't said otherwise.  I only pointed out how bad it was to burn the flag. Others have said the same.  I know very well what's going on with the club, but burning a flag is not the way to deal with it.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #167: Jun 04, 2010 11:59:53 am
      I haven't said otherwise.  I only pointed out how bad it was to burn the flag. Others have said the same.  I know very well what's going on with the club, but burning a flag is not the way to deal with it.
      If this wasn't a wind up all I'd say to you was get your priorities right.
      But it is what it is and to be honest I couldn't give a F**k about you or your views.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8544 
      Reply #168: Jun 04, 2010 12:02:01 pm

All day long soft lad!!

Or you're part of the problem, you want to play nicely with the yanks.

Well it's time to get old skool scouse and go F***ing militant.

YANKS OUT!!
      djdan
      • Banned

• 189 posts | -30 
      Reply #169: Jun 04, 2010 12:03:44 pm
      Burn a picture of them.  Not the American flag.

How hard can it be to understand...?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8544 
      Reply #170: Jun 04, 2010 12:08:41 pm
      Burn a picture of them.  Not the American flag.

Why, you got some vested interest, especially when you're sucking Tom Hick's cock.

You are Kanwar aren't yer, he's moaning about the same thing on his joke of a sh*t site.

Just too coincidental for my liking.

And wait until 4/7/10 when tonnes of the stars and stripes will bve getting burned all over town.

Next step is too get violent with one of the two pricks or at least giving that Broughton a slap.

We need to make the point we don't want any of them poisonous cu*ts at OUR club!!
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #171: Jun 04, 2010 12:10:09 pm
      In the heat of the moment, people do things that maybe in a few days wish they never.  But there were wearing there hearts on there sleeves.  At least they got there to protest about what is going on.  And before you ask, no I was not there, but I have been to many before and I am attending the one on the 4th July.  May you (DJDAN) could turn up and give everyone your opinion on what is going on.

Do you want directions to Liverpool?
      LFCkl
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 365 posts |
      Reply #172: Jun 04, 2010 12:19:11 pm
      Burn a picture of them.  Not the American flag.

The flag did have pictures of them on.

At the end of the day this protest was not to created to offend America, this protest was about a group of SUPPORTERS going out and standing up for the club they love. Some may not agree with the burning of the flag - well, I didn't see any of you lot at Anfield doing something about it.

Like I've said earlier in the thread I do not particularly agree with setting the flag alight myself, but atleast those fans are doing something about the yanks, rather than sitting on an internet forum complaining about them. I support and admire the fact that those fans have gone out there to get some media coverage and to fight for our club.

There is no point sitting here arguing over last nights events. We should be working together as one to stop these two tw*ts ruining our club before it's too late! We should admire the fans that have gone out there to do something about it, whether you agree with what they are doing or not, atleast they are doing something and not just letting those two clowns walk all over us.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #173: Jun 04, 2010 12:20:42 pm
      Joey mate what were the numbers like??

Apologies Dado, only just spotted your post. I'd hazard a guess at about 200 although my estimate probably isn't too good.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #174: Jun 04, 2010 12:24:37 pm
      The flag did have pictures of them on.

I can confirm this. Me and DLS were stood about 10 yards away when the lad turned up with it, wearing a high visibility jacket with 'F**k off Yanks' or something to that effect on the back.

As a matter of fact, I don't think he wanted to burn it but the camera crew seemed pretty keen on capturing that image. :f_tongueincheek:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #175: Jun 04, 2010 12:25:00 pm
      Apologies Dado, only just spotted your post. I'd hazard a guess at about 200 although my estimate probably isn't too good.

Everyone was talking about it being nearer 500 joey heard the noise on the TV and it sounded like a good crew.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #176: Jun 04, 2010 12:26:22 pm
      Everyone was talking about it being nearer 500 joey haerd the noise on the TV and it sounded like a good crew.

I stand (happily) corrected.

Told you my estimates were sh*t. ;)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #177: Jun 04, 2010 12:29:11 pm

Get hit in the head with too many bottles travelling through through Bootle? Messing up your perception?

;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #178: Jun 04, 2010 12:29:25 pm

Think it's gonna snowball mate and hopefully roll all over the tw*ts we have as owners.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #179: Jun 04, 2010 12:33:36 pm
      Get hit in the head with too many bottles travelling through through Bootle? Messing up your perception?

;)

It's the radiation getting to me. ;)

Agreed that it will only increase. Independence Day will be huge, we will all see to that. 
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #180: Jun 04, 2010 12:42:55 pm
      Well in to the lads & ladies that showed up last night....lets hope Stuey is right and this turns into the mother of all snowballs ;D
      Red Rob 60
      • Forum Ian St John

• 448 posts | 43 
      Reply #181: Jun 04, 2010 01:27:14 pm
      The only way that we are going to have any affect on the present owners is by hitting them in their pockets. I feel any demonstrations should be targeted, high impact and very symbolic. Besides from the obvious like a totall embargo on all club merchandise and any future demonstrations I feel  should be at the LFC shops at Anfield and L1.
      We should maybe consider a total boycott of maybe one home game per month with a full picket around the ground, thereby capturing full media exposure. These are very dire times and as I see it call for desperate action. No more talking to the likes of Purslow only action from here on in.

I also don't see SOS as the platform to take this forward, they donnot and have not displayed any teeth at all. I feel now is the time to stop f**king about and get down to it. We desperately need a body to organise us.
      Any idea's

I think you’re right about everything you say except SOS. SOS haven’t been around for a long time because they haven’t needed to be and I only joined them a couple of days ago.

We need an organised response to the board and the owners that involves all things you said including direct action but key to that is unity. Our strength comes from a unified coordinated response and that means we need one organisation in my opinion.

Having a number of different organisations divides us and the force of our efforts. Different leaderships will inevitably mean differences of opinion between representative bodies and divide us when we need unity of purpose and action. We don’t need a number of separate demonstrations on a small scale that can be ignored we need large scale impressive shows of strength and determination.

Take the media for example. If we have a number of different organisations how do they know which one to go to for information and opinion? They start off going to three or four but eventually decide all of them are unrepresentative and ignore them whilst the owners have a single full time PR department with a clear agenda.

They’ll describe fans as divided and confused with no clear plan of action.

SOS may not have shown much in the way of teeth so far and I’m not going to argue whether that was or was not the case. The fact is that SOS can be transformed into an active campaigning organisation that coordinates action with a strong agenda for action and identifiable purpose and objectives.

It only costs £10 to join and the next meeting will be on 12th June and I’ll be there for the first time. I’ll make my voice heard and I’ll be calling for strong action on the lines that you have outlined.

If it doesn’t work out then I’ve lost a couple of pints but if it does work it’ll be the first step to getting Hicks, Gillett, Purslow, Broughton and the rest of the board out.

So why don’t you come and join me and I think hundreds of other who’ll be doing the same thing because they want action not toothless displays of impotence.

£10 isn’t much.

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/

In fact why doesn’t everyone else who wants to do something come as well. Let’s get something solid started if SOS fails then sure we’ll start a new organisation to replace it but for the moment I think SOS is the place to start.

YNWA

Spirit Of Shankly EGM - Saturday 12th June 2010

The Management Committee of Spirit of Shankly are calling a mass meeting of members, to take place at Noon at Zeligs Restaurant in Liverpool 1, on Saturday 12th June 2010.

The current agenda (although members are asked to email secretary@spiritofshankly.com with any additional items to be considered for the agenda) is as follows:

1. Report upon the current status of the owners and sale progress

2. Review of the recent Union activities

3. SOS/Share Liverpool - the current position and future of supporters' ownership

4. Management Committee proposals for activities over the summer and the start of next season

a. Taking the fight to the USA;
                  b. Revisiting boycotts of match and Club trading;
                  c. Meeting with the government
                  d. Mass gathering 4th July
                  e. Not Welcome campaign - progress

5. Membership drive

a. Youth membership
                  b. Add a friend
                  c. Member ideas to increase membership

6. Any Other Business
      If you are unable to attend but wish to make any comments upon the agenda or raise any other issues then please email secretary@spiritofshankly.com
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #182: Jun 04, 2010 02:31:53 pm
      Liverpool fans turn ire on managing director in demonstration at Rafael Benitez's exit

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/7801898/Liverpool-fans-turn-ire-on-managing-director-in-demonstration-at-Rafael-Benitezs-exit.html

Liverpool supporters turned their ire on the club’s managing director Christian Purslow on Thursday night as more than 500 demonstrated at Anfield, calling for his dismissal and burning American flags, a direct message to his employers Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

The spontaneous demonstration, organised through internet forums, Facebook and Twitter in the aftermath of reports on Wednesday that manager Rafael Benitez was close to leaving the club “by mutual consent,” began outside the Kop at 6pm.

Organisers insisted the aim of the protest was not to safeguard Benitez’s job, but to indicate to Hicks and Gillett, who have laden Liverpool with £351 million of debt, that no decision of theirs as the club’s owners will be welcomed.

Paul Rice, of the supporters’ group Spirit of Shankly, said: “This is another example of how this club has become the biggest farce in town. In a sense, Benitez is just collateral damage. When you look at Liverpool in a general manner, who will want to take the club on?”

The roles of both Purslow and chairman Martin Broughton in the dismissal of Benitez has concerned Liverpool fans.

Both men were ostensibly brought in to secure investment in the club, but Purslow remains in situ almost a year on, while Broughton’s initial remit was a non-executive one, and he has made it clear he is not involved in the day-to-day running of the club, yet it was his name which appeared on the statement which confirmed the Spaniard’s departure.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #183: Jun 04, 2010 02:53:14 pm
      Final curtain always on the cards with Rafael BenĂ­tez doing it his way

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article7143794.ece

Liverpool fans burnt American flags and called for the head of Christian Purslow, the managing director, as shock over Rafael Benítez’s departure turned to anger at the way the club are being run.

About 500 supporters descended on Anfield last night after confirmation that Benítez’s six-year tenure as Liverpool manager had come to an end.

The main targets for their outrage were Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr, the co-owners, but Purslow was also the subject of fervent chanting as the divisions that have riven Liverpool in recent years spilt out on to the streets surrounding their ground.

Conflict has been one of the key features of the BenĂ­tez era, the Spaniard having fallen out with a string of club executives, each of whom, he believed, had let him down by breaking promises or by being guilty of tardiness in the transfer market.

The cordial joint statement that ended one set of hostilities by bringing Benítez’s time at the helm to a close was significant for so many reasons, not least of which was the fact that it was the first time Benítez and the club’s hierarchy had sung from the same hymn sheet in some considerable time.

It was dated June 3, 2010, but the beginning of the end came on August 24 last year and had BenĂ­tez not pulled back from the brink, he would have quit on January 20 this year. What happened yesterday was merely the inevitable conclusion to a season that took manager, players, supporters and the entire club through one of the most turbulent campaigns in their history.

The importance of the events that took place on that evening should not be understated. Liverpool were beaten 3-1 at home by Aston Villa and their obvious shortcomings as a team were laid bare. That defeat in itself was damaging to BenĂ­tez because it indicated that he would not be presiding over a second successive title challenge. Words, though, rather than actions had the biggest impact.

In his post-match press conference, Benítez attempted to protect Lucas Leiva, who had scored an own goal and is so often a lightning rod for criticism, but the Spaniard’s defence of one player was to land him in hot water with several others.

“It is up to the senior players to take responsibility,” Benítez said in a very public admonishment that brought about a sudden deterioration in his relationship with a section of the dressing room.

Five months later, BenĂ­tez had seen his team knocked out of the Champions League at the group stage, embarrassed in the FA Cup by Reading and left well off the pace in the Barclays Premier League. His lowest ebb came when Tottenham Hotspur visited Anfield in January, his morale having plummeted to such an extent that there were fears within the club that he could quit on the day of a game.

Had it not been a match day, he might have walked out there and then, but the realisation of the disarray that such an abrupt decision would have caused helped to bring him back from the brink. A show of support from the fans leading up to kick-off ensured that thoughts of ending his association with the club he took to Champions League glory in 2005 cooled.

If anything, though, the antipathy between BenĂ­tez and the boardroom heated up from then on, as illustrated by a pre-match conversation between a senior Liverpool official and his opposite number from a rival club.

“Do you know why Rafa is playing two holding midfielders?” the Liverpool figure asked. “No,” came the reply. “Because he hasn’t got three,” came the answer.

While BenĂ­tez questioned those above him, they in turn had doubts about him, with concerns expressed privately about his man-management and motivational skills, and his record in the transfer market.

Gillett had a favourite phrase for Benítez, describing him as a “serial transactionalist”, in reference to the high turnover of players at Anfield. It was against this backdrop of infighting that Liverpool’s season unravelled as spectacularly as it did.

However, only a fool would believe that the removal of Benítez will cure all Liverpool’s ills: their problems — debt and lack of direction — are far too entrenched for that to happen.

The most important job facing Purslow and his colleagues now is to convince some of Liverpool’s biggest names that a revolution is afoot that will raise the club’s ambitions and improve their fortunes at a stroke — but with no buyer lined up, that will be no easy task.

Fernando Torres is known to be so disenchanted with Liverpool’s decline in fortunes that rival clubs have long since been alerted. It is unlikely that a game of managerial musical chairs will be enough to convince the striker that an upturn is imminent and Steven Gerrard will also be looking for reasons to remain at his boyhood club despite the interest of Real Madrid.

The jungle drums that beat incessantly on Merseyside had suggested that Torres and Gerrard would leave if BenĂ­tez remained but the departure of the manager does not guarantee their loyalty. Only the urgent fulfilment of the promises that have been made to them will do that.

In one respect, BenĂ­tez has already beaten them to the punch by heading for the escape hatch first. His destination remains unknown but, given his status as a Champions League-winning manager and his standing in European football, he will not be out of work for long, with Inter Milan leading the race for his signature.

“Benítez has a certain affinity with Inter fans,” Gabriele Oriali, a director with the Italian champions, has said. “He is very appealing to us. He has already given us great joy, namely the 2005 Champions League win against Milan. Who does not remember Istanbul?”

The Liverpool fans certainly do, which explains why a section of them took to the streets in protest last night. BenĂ­tez may have gone but the recriminations look set to continue.

Men in the frame

Kenny Dalglish A Liverpool legend on the field and in the dugout. Won the Double in his first season as player-manager, with two more league titles and an FA Cup to follow, then won another league title with Blackburn Rovers. Less successful with Newcastle United and Celtic, he returned to an ambassadorial role at Anfield last year.

Roy Hodgson Took Fulham to the Europa League final this season with a team assembled on a limited budget, which will appeal to the Anfield owners. Vastly experienced and well connected in the European arena, he has managed big clubs such as Inter Milan as well as international sides.

Mark Hughes Learnt his trade as manager with Wales and Blackburn, where he built a combative team who were difficult to beat. Struggled to live up to expectations with Manchester City and his past as a Manchester United player may count against him, but is known to have met Liverpool representatives when they played Benfica in Lisbon. Plus, he is available and has a point to prove.

Martin O’Neill The Aston Villa manager ticks many boxes — with ambition, passion and big-club experience — and after managing Celtic, he would feel the pressure of life at Anfield less than most. On the other hand, he has spent big money without delivering trophies at Villa Park and the ownership situation at Liverpool would not appeal to him.

Guus Hiddink The Dutchman made an excellent impression when he took temporary charge of Chelsea in the second half of last season and has Holland and Real Madrid on his CV. However, he failed in his attempt to take Russia to the World Cup finals. In any case, he has taken up a position as the Turkey coach and would be reluctant to break his agreement with their FA.

Quick Reply