Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Christian Purslow - Backstabber and Lacky for Hicks and Gillette

Read 61653 times
      Red Rob 60
      • Forum Ian St John

• 448 posts | 43 
      Re: Christian Purslow - Backstabber and Lacky for Hicks and Gillette
      Reply #23: Jun 03, 2010 11:58:50 pm
      Not sure if thats a typo but its not illegal in the US, I don't want to take the thread of topic but you want any information on this please feel free to U2U me (or similar new to the forum) the LBO market is thriving, in fact the majority of the American bail out was funded by LBO or Private Equity which is the new marketing spin. It's a very very dirty & disgusting form of finance and the moment Purslow stepped in it was not good news, he's a snake. Happy to discuss this with anyone.

No. no tell us everything you know about him.

Seriously we need to know because he must be got rid of.

queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #24: Jun 04, 2010 12:15:05 am
      Its buyouts that I have good knowledge (especially private equity) which is why I did not want to take the thread of topic. Purslow I have to be honest don't know the guy but if you use this type of investment you have no scruples. Give me 5mins and i'll slap a little post in about the industry. (mod feel free to take it out if its off topic)
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #25: Jun 04, 2010 12:43:36 am
      In 1964 Jerome Kohlberg Jr was co-running a corporate finance division of Bear Stearns when he suggested that instead of restricting itself to helping other business prosper, Bear should start buying companies itself. He had in mind the purchase of several manufacturing companies in partnership with their management teams.  These companies should be generating stable and steady revenue by filing dependable but generally unglamorous market place niches, this has changed but football fans are v.dependable, you buy the kits, the tickets etc through thick and thin. His plan was to make companies pay for their acquisitions by having them take out loans equal to approximately 90% of their own purchase price, with Bear putting down only 10%. The target companies were generally willing to accept this unusual arrangement because Bear often offered the shareholders or owners a considerably more competitive price. Ring any bells Mr Moores !! They bought companies with people's money by structuring acquisitions like mortgages, the critical difference is that while we pay our mortgages, PE firms had the business they bought take the loans, making them responsible for the repayment, or in this case the fans.  They then try to resell the company or take it public before the loans come due. Or in the case of Man Utd offer bonds in the business to pay of the debt to a later date, like a credit card.

Public ownership and IPO was the big thing for football clubs in the 1980's & 90's but in 1998 Gordon Brown cut capital gains tax from 40% to 10% meaning people buying and selling companies could keep much more of their money. At the same time Brown raised taxes on those collecting options from public companies. This gained the attention of the American Private Equity firms. Often management teams in the UK executed their own buyouts of growing companies and ran the business as going concerns but in the U.S. PE companies looked to sell immediately, bringing in their own teams with little or no emotional attachment to the company so they could slash budgets and fire workers to pay down the debt taken out to purchase the company and profit from the lucrative tax breaks. By focusing on core revenues and decreasing costs the new streamlined organisations looked perfect for sale, they did however mask long term issues. Jack Dromey, deputy general secretary of the British Transport and General Workers Union, "We could be staring at a fresh financial meltdown. Private Equity used cheap credit in the good times to swoop on vulnerable companies, but now the banks are not lending, those debts are looking very hard to sustain, this has the potential to be another subprime scandal that shakes the banking system".  In America it is easier for an organisation to enter bankruptcy as Chapter 11 laws protect the company and in most cases enable them to recover and pay of their loans, UK companies must liquidate therefore British companies tend to make deals with their lenders, such as selling off pieces of themselves to pay debt, like the stadium, players etc.

To cite some examples 1,500 Boots staff made redundant, one in 10 staff  at its pharmaceutical wholesale division, as the KKR owned business attempted a cost-cutting programme despite seeing a 12% increase in its annual profits. At EMI there is likely to be a further reduction in the  workforce, on top of the 3,000 jobs culled by Private Equity company Terra Firma in January 2008. Those cuts followed Mr Hands's highly-leveraged £4.2bn takeover of EMI Group the previous year. Paul Talbot, who is the assistant general secretary of Unite, claimed the unions struggle to work with private equity firms because they're too secretive about their plans - again ring any bells. He's cited the example of Duke Street Capital, which bought Burtons Food. "Within months, two thirds of the staff were out of a job. Usually we could work with management, but private equity's secrecy means we couldn't find out what was going on." Duke Streets 1988 investment in do-it yourself retailer Focus. The firm made a good return over the years by expanding the chain though acquisitions. Then in 2005, it sold of Focus's 172 Wickes branded building-materials stores, which represented about half its locations but by early 2007 it could not pay its debts, months before the hearing Duke Street sold Focus to Cerberus Capital Management for one pound. After buying the chain Cerberus announced plans to to close or sell 20% of the stores which would result in hundreds of layoffs. By 2009 2,500 staff has been cut and and the company had entered into a Company voluntary arrangement with its creditors to stave of bankruptcy, despite making profits the company could not service the debts it inherited from a Leveraged buy out. Labour MP Andrew Love asked Taylor "what returns where made by Duke Street". For ploughing the business in debt, making redundant over 2,500 staff and burdening its creditors with a CVA Taylor street "earned a return of just under ¨ 300 million, the investors received total proceeds of around ¨ 800 million, which was a very successful deal" The list of this behaviour goes on. TPG bought Punch Taverns, Britons largest pub chain and walked away making $400 million in profits, today it has a stock market value of £540m   hobbled by a debt mountain of more than £3.5bn many do not expect it to make it to Christmas jeopardising 7,500 pubs and the thousands of people it employs.

The same in the US were some experts predict the collapse of apx half the 3,188 American companies that PE firms bought from 2000 to 2008.

I could go on, I've been researching this for years and have been dreading the scenarios we find ourselves in since the day G+H took over but at the time nobody would listen. Purslow works in PE, I'm not saying there all bad but they all have one thing in common, the debt in monitezed to the product and hence passed on to the consumer. 2nd they do not invest anything themselves, that is the whole point of the model - not to spend any of your own money. This model just does not work in football.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6732 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #26: Jun 04, 2010 01:49:54 am
      another c**t I wish was dead.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #27: Jun 04, 2010 01:52:23 am
      To right Aussie.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #28: Jun 04, 2010 02:52:28 am
      c**t, liar and thief!

I swear to God if I could get my hands on these pricks.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #29: Jun 04, 2010 02:57:03 am
      c**t, liar and thief!

I swear to God if I could get my hands on these pricks.

F**k oath.

And this c**t sat there on camera and looked us in the eye and said he 'was a Liverpool fan'.

Rafa very quickly pointed him out to us and no one listened.
      MrKite
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 475 posts | -2 
      Reply #30: Jun 04, 2010 03:03:23 am
      Oh for the days of Moores and Parry (who I know was a bit of a clown, who incidentally looked like a clown with no make up).

Now we've just got a board full of F***ing w*nk shafts lead by two top cu*ts of the highest order.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #31: Jun 04, 2010 04:30:03 am
      queuepolitely must agree with you that leveraged buy outs do not work at football clubs because the aims are vastly different and making money fast has never worked at football clubs. We now face an uncertain future which could if handled wrongly have dire consequences on H&G and the amount of money they thought they had may turn into smoke rings, I hope so because their one aim with Purslows conivance was to deceive the fans, they have now been found out, Purlows role I believe has been to keep the club ticking over without to much fuss he has over reached himself now, I do not know why as he's the one who has been giving his friends down at the press office all they want on Rafa with a few chosen words of his own no doubt, whatever he had in mind I believe they were caught napping by Rafa and although they now look in control that was not my first thought when the news broke, it took them an age to respond and even then they looked flustered, Purslow should be ashamed and any man coming into this club while that man is here better watch his back,(now we know how he rose in business). I do not know how long they will be in selling up but it seems as if you have factions in the club soley there to make what they can before they to are gone. KK please don't get embroiled in the clubs polotics because who ever takes over will have the same people to deal with as Rafa had and how quickly the worm turns.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #32: Jun 04, 2010 05:25:24 am
      He already has
      He's already lost My Respect.
      redpool
      • Forum David Johnson

• 217 posts |
      Reply #33: Jun 04, 2010 07:59:16 am
      The whole rafa sacking was done in a very quick and cruel manner in order to prevent the fans from having the time organize a mass protest. These two filthy scumbags have their ultimate revenge by putting their knives in while the manager was holidaying in Italy after a long and stressful season. I reckon the board must have spent a whole month planning this operation, if only they have utilized the efforts in something more worthwhile like working with rafa on ways to improve the team with the limited budget available! F...king conniving bunch of slimeballs
      halofreak11789
      • Forum David Johnson

• 217 posts |
      Reply #34: Jun 04, 2010 08:12:39 am
      The whole rafa sacking was done in a very quick and cruel manner in order to prevent the fans from having the time organize a mass protest. These two filthy scumbags have their ultimate revenge by putting their knives in while the manager was holidaying in Italy after a long and stressful season. I reckon the board must have spent a whole month planning this operation, if only they have utilized the efforts in something more worthwhile like working with rafa on ways to improve the team with the limited budget available! F...king conniving bunch of slimeballs

I agree sly B@st***!!! pisses me off
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #35: Jun 04, 2010 08:18:36 am

Spot on. And welcome to the forum.

The seething has momentarily stopped and it's turned into depression.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #36: Jun 04, 2010 08:57:31 am
      His name's Purslime.

He's a big Liverpool fan you know. One of the people.

So are these 2 remember. They have scarves and everything!

ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #37: Jun 04, 2010 12:26:51 pm
      Purslow sure knows who he is really working for. Fans are stakeholders. He should be working for the stakeholders, not the owners!!!!!
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #38: Jun 04, 2010 01:48:42 pm
      Mr. Christian Purslow is a Member of the Executive Board of MidOcean Partners. He was previously a Managing Director at the firm, a position from which he has retired and is based in the London office. Mr. Purslow was a Founding Partner of the firm and focused on investing and managing portfolio companies in Europe. He is a Managing Director at LiverpoolFC.TV.

He has been employed at LiverpoolFC.TV since June 22, 2009. He was a Director at Morgan Grenfell Private Equity(Now part of Deutsch Bank). Mr. Purslow was also a Managing Director at DB Capital Partners. Prior to joining DB Capital Partners in 2000 (and his private equity career), Mr. Purslow was the Head of Media, Cable, and Entertainment Investment Banking for Schroder Salomon Smith Barney in Europe (now part of Citi Group). In this capacity, he advised a number of leading financial sponsors on acquisitions, financing, and exits. Prior to Salomon Brothers, Mr. Purslow was the Head of U.K. Mergers and Acquisitions for Credit Suisse First Boston in London.

Thats basically the 3 of the Big 5 in the City, the only missing major players are JP Morgan and HSBC.

Prior to his investment-banking career, he was a Director of New Business Development at Reuters Holdings, and an Executive Assistant to the Chairman at The Burton Group plc, both in the United Kingdom. Mr. Purslow began his career as an Analyst at LEK Strategic Consulting in London. He serves on the Board of Center Parcs Europe, TranseuroAmertrans, and Probitas Pharma. Mr. Purslow earned his M.B.A. with high distinction from Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration, where he was a Baker Scholar, and has an M.A. in Modern Languages from Cambridge University.

Purslow n is connected to 2 board of directors in 2 different organizations across 9 different industries
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #39: Jun 04, 2010 01:50:28 pm
      Red Rob 60
      • Forum Ian St John

• 448 posts | 43 
      Reply #40: Jun 04, 2010 02:42:15 pm
      christian.purslow@midoceanpartners.com

Bounced!

Worth a try anyway.

Thanks for the post QP.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #41: Jun 04, 2010 02:52:04 pm
      THE SAVIOUR OF OUR CLUB!

Thank god someone had the guts to stand up to the one man on the inside fighting for this club.
      Hagbard
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      • Che was a red
      Reply #42: Jun 04, 2010 04:32:09 pm
      I hate capitalists.

We should boycott every company ever associated with any member of the Liverpool board - and write to them telling them why.

Does anyone have a list?
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #43: Jun 04, 2010 06:15:15 pm
      For Purslow, mostly American but UK ones you may come across

L.A. Fitness Membership,
      Bushnell (mostly outdoor pursuits technology like Binoculars)
      Totes - Shoes

Not going to impact him much. But boycotting LA Fitness could be a start.

Will get to work on the others but most obvious is British Airways - but then also don't fly Ryan Air - talk to the fella opposite the Albert selling the pool wares about that Texas run bag of tricks.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #44: Jun 04, 2010 07:05:50 pm
      Purslow eh?

Got to watch out for those dodgy Birkenhead folk.
      Hagbard
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      • Che was a red
      Reply #45: Jun 04, 2010 07:15:43 pm
      I won't have any problems boycotting LA Fitness (but then, I'm a lazy b***ard)

Quick Reply