Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Christian Purslow - Backstabber and Lacky for Hicks and Gillette

Read 61652 times
      corballyred
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Christian Purslow - Backstabber and Lacky for Hicks and Gillette
      Reply #598: Sep 03, 2010 05:26:05 pm
      It makes me laugh when I see people saying he would vote against the yanks.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #599: Feb 13, 2011 08:41:05 am
      Christian Purslow: NESV's Liverpool bid a 'bottom of the barrel' deal
      •
      Email comment emerges in court bid to block Hicks and Gillett
      • Liverpool's then managing director unconvinced by NESV

Christian Purslow, right, the former Liverpool managing director, with Ian Ayre, one of the directors to whom he criticised the level of NESV's bid for the club in an email in September 2010. Photograph: Paul Ellis/AFP/Getty Images
      Christian Purslow, Liverpool's former managing director, described New England Sports Ventures' original offer to buy the club as a "bottom of the barrel" deal, it has been revealed in court. In an email sent to fellow directors only a month before NESV bought Liverpool for £300m, Purslow, who left the club within days of the takeover, initially cast doubt on the group's ability to pay off the debt left by the then owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, to build a new stadium and to invest in the squad. The only positive was that NESV "existed" he wrote, albeit at the start of the negotiating process and his comments do not relate to the deal that was ultimately struck.

Purslow's email emerged at the high court where NESV, the former Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton and the Royal Bank of Scotland are seeking to extend indefinitely an injunction that prevents Hicks and Gillett suing for damages abroad. Hicks called October's £300m deal "an epic swindle" at the time and launched a $1.6bn lawsuit in Dallas in an attempt to halt the sale. RBS, Broughton, and NESV responded with an injunction that Hicks and Gillett want removed in order to pursue a legal claim in the US.

When Liverpool's owner, now called Fenway Sports Group, completed its takeover on 15 Octover last year it eliminated all the acquisition debt placed on the club by Hicks and Gillett. Plans for a new stadium, however, are under review with John W Henry and Tom Werner, the principal owner and the chairman respectively, considering a redevelopment of Anfield. The owners also spent £57.8m to sign Andy Carroll and Luis Suárez in the January transfer window, although that was offset by the sales of Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel for a total of £56m.

In the email sent to his fellow directors Broughton, Ian Ayre and Philip Nash on 15 September 2010, Purslow wrote: "To get it straight, I think we should avoid the natural temptation to jump straight in to the deal with NESV. Whilst they are charming, intelligent and credible their bid is by any standards at the extreme bottom end of the 'right deal' threshold we set for ourselves: it only reduces debt by less than half and is I feel unlikely to yield incremental equity to fund a stadium.

"They may say they have money if necessary but I do not take this very seriously. Their eyes only lit up at the idea of other opportunity improvements. An American deal guy simply can't avoid using other people's money if they can.

"There is no extra money on the table to enable short-term investment in what remains a squad palpably needing more quality if we are to be definitively top four. New American sport team owners with the senior guy being a hedge fund manager could not be worst [sic] from an image standpoint, which is an issue for us independents. I have not even talked about valuation. I leave that to other members of the board. So what is positive? Answer, they exist. Which is not a lot, but it is not to be underestimated in importance."

Purslow added that the board should "double check that none of the possibles who have come and gone in the last 18 months to apparent levels lower than Sharjah but higher than NESV are not there. So I repeat this is a bottom of the barrel outcome."

The email is one of 75,000 that allegedly refer to the sale process, with the Sharjah reference believed to be that of an earlier £600m offer from the Middle East. The case continues.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #600: Feb 13, 2011 09:48:39 am
      Christian Purslow: NESV's Liverpool bid a 'bottom of the barrel' deal
      •
      Email comment emerges in court bid to block Hicks and Gillett
      • Liverpool's then managing director unconvinced by NESV

Christian Purslow, right, the former Liverpool managing director, with Ian Ayre, one of the directors to whom he criticised the level of NESV's bid for the club in an email in September 2010. Photograph: Paul Ellis/AFP/Getty Images
      Christian Purslow, Liverpool's former managing director, described New England Sports Ventures' original offer to buy the club as a "bottom of the barrel" deal, it has been revealed in court. In an email sent to fellow directors only a month before NESV bought Liverpool for £300m, Purslow, who left the club within days of the takeover, initially cast doubt on the group's ability to pay off the debt left by the then owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, to build a new stadium and to invest in the squad. The only positive was that NESV "existed" he wrote, albeit at the start of the negotiating process and his comments do not relate to the deal that was ultimately struck.

Purslow's email emerged at the high court where NESV, the former Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton and the Royal Bank of Scotland are seeking to extend indefinitely an injunction that prevents Hicks and Gillett suing for damages abroad. Hicks called October's £300m deal "an epic swindle" at the time and launched a $1.6bn lawsuit in Dallas in an attempt to halt the sale. RBS, Broughton, and NESV responded with an injunction that Hicks and Gillett want removed in order to pursue a legal claim in the US.

When Liverpool's owner, now called Fenway Sports Group, completed its takeover on 15 Octover last year it eliminated all the acquisition debt placed on the club by Hicks and Gillett. Plans for a new stadium, however, are under review with John W Henry and Tom Werner, the principal owner and the chairman respectively, considering a redevelopment of Anfield. The owners also spent £57.8m to sign Andy Carroll and Luis Suárez in the January transfer window, although that was offset by the sales of Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel for a total of £56m.

In the email sent to his fellow directors Broughton, Ian Ayre and Philip Nash on 15 September 2010, Purslow wrote: "To get it straight, I think we should avoid the natural temptation to jump straight in to the deal with NESV. Whilst they are charming, intelligent and credible their bid is by any standards at the extreme bottom end of the 'right deal' threshold we set for ourselves: it only reduces debt by less than half and is I feel unlikely to yield incremental equity to fund a stadium.

"They may say they have money if necessary but I do not take this very seriously. Their eyes only lit up at the idea of other opportunity improvements. An American deal guy simply can't avoid using other people's money if they can.

"There is no extra money on the table to enable short-term investment in what remains a squad palpably needing more quality if we are to be definitively top four. New American sport team owners with the senior guy being a hedge fund manager could not be worst [sic] from an image standpoint, which is an issue for us independents. I have not even talked about valuation. I leave that to other members of the board. So what is positive? Answer, they exist. Which is not a lot, but it is not to be underestimated in importance."

Purslow added that the board should "double check that none of the possibles who have come and gone in the last 18 months to apparent levels lower than Sharjah but higher than NESV are not there. So I repeat this is a bottom of the barrel outcome."

The email is one of 75,000 that allegedly refer to the sale process, with the Sharjah reference believed to be that of an earlier £600m offer from the Middle East. The case continues.
      It makes you wonder what kind of back hander he took from NESV to turn on the Yanks. He must have been offered something in return.
      F***ing snake!!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #601: Feb 13, 2011 10:08:28 am
      How come we never heard anything of this supposed super bid. Surely Hicks and Gillett would not have gone so easily if the bid was real. Snake of a man.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #602: Feb 13, 2011 01:23:06 pm
      How come we never heard anything of this supposed super bid. Surely Hicks and Gillett would not have gone so easily if the bid was real. Snake of a man.

It was one of H&G's supposed bids that they rejected from the year before.

Remember Broughton saying that they were contacting previous bidders to see if the interest was still there?

They're doing their best to discredit everything even though most of it they agreed to last Arpil.

They won't win - they're not clever enough. 

They're used to the American way of "money talks" but don't like it when they get caught up with the legalities of what they can and can't do.  They believed that as LFC was theirs they could do what they liked with us - well they probably would if it hadn't been for us "internet terrorists"
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #603: Feb 13, 2011 02:13:54 pm
      It seems likely that the initial enquiry from NESV was fairly uncomplicated and Purslow could see no threat to his arrangement with H&G and so dismissed it out of hand. The successful bid however after much deliberation was well thought out and left the former owners no room to maneuver and a legal hammering was on the cards, at this juncture Purslow jumped ship and like the leech he is attached himself to the stronger adversary, at least preserving some hope of getting weighed in eventually.  
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #604: Feb 13, 2011 02:16:12 pm
      It seems likely that the initial enquirey from NESV was fairly uncomplicated and Purslow could see no threat to his arrangement with H&G and so dismissed it out of hand. The successful bid however after much deliberation was well thought out and left the former owners no room to manouver and a legal hammering was on the cards, at this juncture Purslow jumped ship and like the leech he is attached himself to the stronger adversary, at least preserving some hope of getting weighed in eventually. 

Good post..

Quite a realistic scenario..
      corballyred
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #605: Feb 13, 2011 02:16:21 pm
      Purslow voiced concerns about the bid, in this instance he was doing his job and scrutinizing the bids. Not going to slate him for this, he had concerns about NESV simple as that whether we like it or not.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #606: Feb 13, 2011 02:20:06 pm
      Purslow voiced concerns about the bid, in this instance he was doing his job and scrutinizing the bids. Not going to slate him for this, he had concerns about NESV simple as that whether we like it or not.
      He would be concerned about the initial bid realising as he did that it would place his position under scrutiny.
      corballyred
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #607: Feb 13, 2011 02:24:00 pm
      But surely it was his and Broughton job to scrutinze the bids. NESV initial bid did look from the outside as not massively impressive and only talked about reducing 50% of the debt.

There bid that was eventually accepted removed the debt was an improved offer.

From what I see he was talking about the initial bid if I'm being honest I would not have been happy with someone coming in and only reducing 50% of the debt and with no plans for a stadium to be honest.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #608: Feb 13, 2011 02:34:11 pm
      But surely it was his and Broughton job to scrutinze the bids. NESV initial bid did look from the outside as not massively impressive and only talked about reducing 50% of the debt.

There bid that was eventually accepted removed the debt was an improved offer.

From what I see he was talking about the initial bid if I'm being honest I would not have been happy with someone coming in and only reducing 50% of the debt and with no plans for a stadium to be honest.
      It was only a "test the water" offer and even a 50% reduction of the debt was preferable to the debt creating duo we had in place at the time, their plans for a stadium are still being deliberated and in the present financial climate caution is well in order.
      corballyred
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #609: Feb 13, 2011 02:38:14 pm
      Only a 50% reduction of debt and no concrete plans for a stadium would not have been acceptable to me or a large number of Liverpool fans.

That was Broughton big thing to win the fans over was telling them the debt was gone. I don't think the fans would have been as welcoming to NESV if there was still 50% of the debt on the club.

Purslow is voicing concerns in his email which needed to be asked. I've slated him for a lot and it was me that started this thread but I ain't going to slate him here for doing his job.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #610: Feb 13, 2011 02:46:27 pm
      Only a 50% reduction of debt and no concrete plans for a stadium would not have been acceptable to me or a large number of Liverpool fans.

That was Broughton big thing to win the fans over was telling them the debt was gone. I don't think the fans would have been as welcoming to NESV if there was still 50% of the debt on the club.

Purslow is voicing concerns in his email which needed to be asked. I've slated him for a lot and it was me that started this thread but I ain't going to slate him here for doing his job.
      He used basic economic survival skills or just survival skills to save his own arse he could do nothing to affect the takeover one way or the other, if he opposed it the deal would have rolled over him.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #611: Feb 13, 2011 02:50:10 pm
      Who cares anymore goodbye have a good life but dont come back too soon.
      corballyred
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #612: Feb 13, 2011 02:56:41 pm
      I don't think NESV first bid was good enough if it was only going to reduce the debt which was burdening the club by 50%. I don't think there was anything wrong with him voicing that concern.

With regards to the rest only time will tell. This Summer will tell a lot.

I was of the opinion also that Purslow voted in favour of NESV second bid along with Ayres and Broughton thus outvoting Hicks and Gillette and why they then tried to remove him from the board.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,459 posts | 4587 
      Reply #613: Feb 13, 2011 03:18:34 pm
      Way i see it purslow was misdirecting all parties. May have been trying to raise his own bid.
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #614: Feb 24, 2011 05:06:53 pm
      Liverpool FC confirms that following the successful transition of the Club to its new owners, Christian Purslow is to step down as special advisor and non-executive director.

LFC Chairman Tom Werner said: "We will always be grateful to Christian for his vital contribution to the Club during his time as Managing Director and latterly as Special Advisor.

"He has played a fundamental role in securing the future of the Club and in the sale of LFC to new ownership."

Christian Purslow said today: "I have been happy to be available to provide support for the new owners during the transitional period since the sale but now Liverpool FC is in excellent shape for the future, and in safe hands, it is time for me to concentrate fully on other business interests. I look forward with pride and excitement to watching Liverpool FC compete at the highest levels once again."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/lfc-statement

« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2011 05:11:48 pm by Bpatel »
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #615: Feb 24, 2011 05:11:45 pm
      He's gone, F***ing yes! :)
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #616: Feb 24, 2011 05:12:41 pm
      Good riddance.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #617: Feb 24, 2011 05:13:30 pm
      Ha ha just seen this...bye bye Christian.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #618: Feb 24, 2011 05:14:48 pm
      F**k off Chrsitian!
      Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #619: Feb 24, 2011 05:15:03 pm
      Great news cheerio
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,459 posts | 4587 
      Reply #620: Feb 24, 2011 10:31:33 pm
      pr**k should have gone when his pals hicks and gillette fu**ed off.

Hate the f**ker.

Quick Reply