Trending Topics

Next match: Tranmere v LFC [Friendly] Thu 11th Jul @ 7:30 pm
      Prenton Park

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread

Read 828569 times
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 948 
      Re: Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread
      Reply #10000: Sep 26, 2018 08:51:58 am
      I think your lack of knowledge about the club is starting to shine through and just using google
      It has nothing to do with who has greater knowledge about the club. It is about how you view or interpret what actually took place at the club

Nunez was part of the Owen deal
      Josemi was someone to beef up the squad
      Kronkamp was a no cost swap and played in the FA Cup winning squad
      Sissoko was superb for us until the eye injury

A lot of the others are youngsters that every club buys looking to see if they develop

Rafa at the time was shopping against a team suddenly flooded with money

Yep Rafa bought some players for the first team that didn’t work but he also bought some of the best the club has seen

90% of the players you highlight all went into the youth teams

And the last season is when we all realised the club was financially screwed

And tell me how did the players you just need turn out...?? and if so good why were they sold so quickly...??

Yep Rafa bought some players for the first team that didn’t work but he also bought some of the best the club has seen

It is not just about the player he bought in, it is about the players he sold as well Danny Murphy,Bellamy ,Baros and Smicer.
      And more often than not the players bought in were no better than the ones he sold. Just look at the player turn over during Rafa's time in charge, and i mean players he bought into the club only to be sold a season, or two later, and ys the players I named were predominantly youth players, money wasted when he should have been concentrating that cash on one or two quality players

I am done here... Said my piece I'll leave you and your love affair with Rafa in peace now
      « Last Edit: Sep 26, 2018 09:14:58 am by The Real Donavan Ried »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,085 posts | 435 
      Reply #10001: Sep 26, 2018 09:12:55 am
      And tell me how did the players  you just need turn out...?? and if so good why were they sold so quickly...??

Tell me one manager who has managed to buys players and every single one work out - the answer is NONE

If you are going to judge Rafa on his purchases that didn’t work out then at least balance it with the ones that did

There is zero guarantee when players are bought - some will work out straight away , some will take time and some won’t

When Rafa arrived our youth set up was poor - there was a lack of real talent looking to get through so he went and got a lot of young talented players with potential to see how they work out - some just don’t progress enough for the Prem and find their level elsewhere and then the odd gem finds its way through

Rafa wasn’t ever shopping at the top level - he had to find players on the next rung down because we didnt have the money of teams like Chelsea

When he bought players we all thought 99% of the time they were good buys and he had a good success rate

Garcia
      Xabi
      Pepe
      Kuyt
      Agger
      Skrtel
      Lucas
      Crouch
      Masher
      Torres
      Yossi
      Arbeloa
      Sissoko
      Bellamy
      God
      Aurelio
      Maxi
      Johnson

Even players like Pennant , Keane , Dossena , Babel and Reira had limited success

But to point fingers at his spending because of the youth players he brought in just shows a lack of understanding of the situation when Rafa was manager.

His biggest net transfer spend was £40 mil - Chelsea were spending that on one player.

Rafa worked with very limited amount of disposable income - he was working with budget based on leveraged debt - he had a high turn over because he wasn’t working on a budget the likes of Chelsea and Utd had

And players like Smicer and Baros ?!? Christ they showed before and since they just weren’t at the level required - Murphy did ok but again he was just a good mid table player at the end and Bellamy had issues off the field as well as injury problems.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 948 
      Reply #10002: Sep 26, 2018 09:20:02 am
      Tell me one manager who has managed to buys players and every single one work out - the answer is NONE

If you are going to judge Rafa on his purchases that didn’t work out then at least balance it with the ones that did

There is zero guarantee when players are bought - some will work out straight away , some will take time and some won’t

When Rafa arrived our youth set up was poor - there was a lack of real talent looking to get through so he went and got a lot of young talented players with potential to see how they work out - some just don’t progress enough for the Prem and find their level elsewhere and then the odd gem finds its way through

Rafa wasn’t ever shopping at the top level - he had to find players on the next rung down because we didnt have the money of teams like Chelsea

When he bought players we all thought 99% of the time they were good buys and he had a good success rate

Garcia
      Xabi
      Pepe
      Kuyt
      Agger
      Skrtel
      Lucas
      Crouch
      Masher
      Torres
      Yossi
      Arbeloa
      Sissoko
      Bellamy
      God
      Aurelio
      Maxi
      Johnson

Even players like Pennant , Keane , Dossena , Babel and Reira had limited success

But to point fingers at his spending because of the youth players he brought in just shows a lack of understanding of the situation when Rafa was manager.

His biggest net transfer spend was £40 mil - Chelsea were spending that on one player.

Rafa worked with very limited amount of disposable income - he was working with budget based on leveraged debt - he had a high turn over because he wasn’t working on a budget the likes of Chelsea and Utd had

And players like Smicer and Baros ?!? Christ they showed before and since they just weren’t at the level required - Murphy did ok but again he was just a good mid table player at the end and Bellamy had issues off the field as well as injury problems.
      This is my last post on the matter, we keep going over the same ground... I have always maintained Rafa put together some great teams and signed some great players... I have also equally maintained that Rafa wasted a lot of money
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,085 posts | 435 
      Reply #10003: Sep 26, 2018 09:26:08 am
      This is my last post on the matter, we keep going over the same ground... I have always maintained Rafa put together some great teams and signed some great players... I have also equally maintained that Rafa wasted a lot of money

Sorry but the fact you put the youngster’s into the mix and wasting money just makes your point laughable and also desperate.

Rafa didn’t “waste” money - he bought players that didn’t work out - every manager does the same.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,649 posts | 3589 
      Reply #10004: Sep 26, 2018 09:37:34 am
      We are never going to get behind the reason people some limited number of people keep on sullying the memory of Rafa and all those wonderful memories.
      He spent less over 6 season than we spent on VVD and that was before we sold Torres for £50mil.
      He is a legend of a manager one of only 3 to lift the great prize in football in the most incredible circumstances.
      Keep on posting your negativity if you like but plenty will attack you for it.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,767 posts | 492 
      Reply #10005: Sep 26, 2018 09:53:56 am
      Did I just read someone having a go at Rafa for bringing in Xabi Alonso at the expense of Danny f**king Murphy?

F**k me there's some special individuals who frequent this thread.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,836 posts | 3465 
      Reply #10006: Sep 26, 2018 12:15:58 pm
      Did I just read someone having a go at Rafa for bringing in Xabi Alonso at the expense of Danny f**king Murphy?

Amazing isn't it?
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,649 posts | 3589 
      Reply #10007: Sep 26, 2018 12:21:24 pm

I think its further evidence that Aliens are indeed amongst us and try as they might to fit in they post sh*t like that and blow their cover
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan.
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,500 posts | 491 
      Reply #10008: Sep 27, 2018 07:41:24 pm
      Quote from The Real Donavan Ried
      This is my last post on the matter, we keep going over the same ground... I have always maintained...

If you're a Rafasceptic, you're going to have to learn to go over the same ground again and again, in order to survive on this thread. Because the same arguments get thrown back at you all the time, and you then have to go and set the record straight.

It would be great if that wasn't the case, but he ruled by conflict whether it be players, officials, staff, fans, and even turned the fans against each other in his last season here. He was and still is, a polarising figure, and there was a lot more than 2 dissenters about him back then.

His mouth has just got him into more trouble though, this time it's a ref on the receiving end and a touchline ban the probable outcome. How long is he coaching in this league? You don't talk about refs, period.

Quote from waltonl4
      We are never going to get behind the reason people some limited number of people keep on sullying the memory of Rafa and all those wonderful memories.
      He spent less over 6 season than we spent on VVD and that was before we sold Torres for £50mil.

We spent €80 million on VVD, he spent 300 odd million over 6 seasons, which was a lot of money in those days. And yet he still demanded more.

The good thing about this forum is nobody holds grudges well apart from the bloke from Birkenhead as across the water is properly known

Like I said it's nothing personal. I don't attack you, I don't attack any other fan of the club either, we all have a common goal, to see Liverpool FC be successful. I don't attack him either, I attack his record, because 90% of the time it's crap. He is also a significant reason why we've only won the number of trophies we have won since Cardiff. When someone fails to succeed at this club, they should be held accountable, and he failed here a lot of the time, so he is. Well I will anyway.

I've been to Liverpool 16 times. But I've never seen Birkenhead. Or Walton. Or Huyton. Or even Aintree. I'm sure they're all nice places with sound people though.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,836 posts | 3465 
      Reply #10009: Sep 27, 2018 10:19:31 pm
      and you then have to go and set the record straight.

I've been to Liverpool 16 times.

Except you keep getting sh*t wrong!!

I've been going for 35 years, hence why I will keep arguing with you when you start with your untrue bullshit.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,649 posts | 3589 
      Reply #10010: Sep 27, 2018 11:15:50 pm
      Let me tell Birkenhead which is "across the water" you wouldn't get away with talking sh*t like this in Walton or Huyton.
      Its is nothing more than attention seeking and winding up fellow forum members knowing full well people will defend him.
      My first game I remember going to was Roger Hunt's testimonial having Charlie George break my heart watching Kevin Keegan play for Scunthorpe and then having to read pile crap from someone who calls himself a supporter . That is not I would call him but I reckon most people who do support this club can guess what it would be,

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,649 posts | 3589 
      Reply #10011: Sep 29, 2018 08:10:12 pm
      Jürgen Klopp: 'World class' Rafa Benitez enough said
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 22,879 posts | 2739 
      Reply #10012: Oct 02, 2018 05:10:13 pm
      No league title in 15 years.
      No European Cup in 14 years.
      No EPL title.
      No FA Cup.

No win in 4 months.
      Bottom of the table.
      Out of the League Cup.

Has "world class" got a new meaning, nowadays?

That club is the laughing stock of the league, with an owner caught on camera, laughing at the fans. Anyone else who took that job and you would laugh at them too.

Won the Uefa cup with Chelsea.. So it’s not 14 years.. Nice try though..

We’re out of the league cup too.. you probably failed to notice..

Rest of your post is nothing but white noise...
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 22,879 posts | 2739 
      Reply #10013: Oct 02, 2018 05:11:49 pm
      Oh 👀 the  :tosser: has deleted his post.. 🙄
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,500 posts | 491 
      Reply #10014: Oct 02, 2018 08:32:27 pm
      For the record, here it is:

No EPL title.
      No FA Cup.

No win in 4 months.
      Bottom of the table.
      Out of the League Cup.

That club is the laughing stock of the league, with an owner caught on camera, laughing at the fans. Anyone else who took that job and you would laugh at them too.

--------------------

Our fate in the League Cup is our own business. His business is more important in a thread specifically about him.

It is 14 years since his last European Cup. 12 years since he got to the final. World class coaches get there on a far more regular basis.
      Roddenberry
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,958 posts | 1583 
      Reply #10015: Oct 02, 2018 10:50:18 pm
      At a club that everyone, every pundit has said is championship level. Kept them up, no investment in the summer, still has championship level players. Getting bashed by someone that probably bashes one out every time Benitez has a bad day.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,576 posts | 2337 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10016: Oct 03, 2018 12:28:40 am

No EPL title.
      No FA Cup.

No win in 4 months.
      Bottom of the table.
      Out of the League Cup.

--------------------

Our fate in the League Cup is our own business. His business is more important in a thread specifically about him.

It is 14 years since his last European Cup. 12 years since he got to the final. World class coaches get there on a far more regular basis.

Finished 10th with a Championship Level squad.
      Expected to do the same while turning a profit in the transfer window.
      Newcastle fans would even call bullshit on your posts.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,551 posts | 201 
      Reply #10017: Oct 03, 2018 01:47:40 am

No EPL title.
      No FA Cup.

No win in 4 months.
      Bottom of the table.
      Out of the League Cup.

--------------------

Zidane 3 CL trophies in first 3 years, world class  or return on investment. The latter I'd say. The fact that Rafa isn't suited to Madrid or clubs with all world class superstars is another issue. I think it is the culture of those clubs like Madrid, whose quality tends to win games irrespective of style. He stayed at Newcastle in the hope they would build a project, they aren't, buyers haven't been found and Ashley is not interested in investment to win. Rafa would win if the investment was there. The star of this season they have played Arsenal, City, Chelsea, Tottenham and Leicester. They got a result against Palace and Cardiff. They play Utd next. That is a pretty tough start. I'd wager the next 12 games will bring a higher return.

The winning trophies category is restricted to investment vehicles barr the odd upset. Rafa hasn't been in charge of one of those vehicles for most of the last 14 years and they don't need a manager like Rafa to win. Send Zidane to Newcastle under AShley and see where they end up.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,361 posts | 3604 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #10018: Oct 03, 2018 06:46:30 am

No EPL title.
      No FA Cup.

Out of the League Cup.

For the record, you’ve pretty much described Liverpool Football Club. Except our title drought is far worse and the last time we won the FA Cup or any trophy of note is actually with the man you are so obsessed with, the man who as it goes has had more silverware than us since he left.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,500 posts | 491 
      Reply #10019: Oct 04, 2018 08:51:00 pm
      Quote from Roddenberry
      At a club that everyone, every pundit has said is championship level. Kept them up, no investment in the summer, still has championship level players.

That doesn't really cut it nowadays tbh. There are plenty of clubs with similar resources, Burnley/Brighton/Fulham/Watford to name a few. They're all ahead of Newcastle in the league, and they also had tough starts. Finishing 10th is nothing to write on a postcard either. Allardyce finished 8th last year, and was swiftly sacked.

Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      For the record, the last time we won the FA Cup or any trophy of note is actually with the man you are so obsessed with, the man who as it goes has had more silverware than us since he left.

So he should, given the clubs he was with, and the players he had. Ronaldo, Benzema, Modric, Torres, Ramos, Terry, etc etc. When a world class coach has the world's best players to work with week in week out, he's expected to reel off the big trophies on an annual basis. They don't get repeatedly sacked, then get relegated at Newcastle.

He was a tv pundit by the time we won the League Cup at Wembley.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 22,879 posts | 2739 
      Reply #10020: Oct 04, 2018 08:55:30 pm

He was a tv pundit by the time we won the League Cup at Wembley.

After we won the league Cup Rafa won the UEFA cup within 6 months of working with WC players at Chelsea & got them qualified for the CL..

See what he can achieve with such high calibre players..

We have won nothing of note since ..
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,361 posts | 3604 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #10021: Oct 06, 2018 03:09:05 am
      So he should, given the clubs he was with, and the players he had. Ronaldo, Benzema, Modric, Torres, Ramos, Terry, etc etc. When a world class coach has the world's best players to work with week in week out, he's expected to reel off the big trophies on an annual basis.

So why do you slate him so much for Newcastle struggling when they have such a sh*t team, even when they finished mid table last season...
      harrydunn08

• 5,233 posts | 638 
      Reply #10022: Oct 06, 2018 02:18:02 pm
      Would love for Rafa to get one over on Jose today and really dig the knife in.  I f**king hate Mourinho and have been thoroughly enjoying his fall from grace.  A little redemption for Rafa right before Jose is axed would be poetic justice 😎
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,500 posts | 491 
      Reply #10023: Oct 09, 2018 08:40:22 pm
      Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      So why do you slate him so much for Newcastle struggling when they have such a sh*t team, even when they finished mid table last season...

Because as things stand, he is doing that job, so if he's going to take the plaudits for mid-table mediocrity, he is also going to have to accept responsibility for the relegation battles under his watch, for the third time since he took the job.

Like I said in the last post, finishing 10th is nothing special. But if it is, then obviously their squad is not as bad as people think it is.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,649 posts | 3589 
      Reply #10024: Oct 12, 2018 09:51:07 pm
      Every village has its idiot.

Quick Reply