Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread

Read 1103096 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Re: Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread
      Reply #8096: Nov 25, 2015 02:10:34 pm
      Don't know what all the fuss is about to be honest, Barca were beat 4-1 by Celta Vigo and they don't exactly have a team of Galactico's, a season is not decided on one or two results.

Will Rafa fail or succeed, havent a f**king a clue, but its too early for the 'I told you so's' from either side of the camp that are deeply entrenched in their positions.

He was Liverpool manager, done a good job for us, won us old big ears and made us feared throughout Europe, appreciate it and get over it.

I wont be getting over Istanbul or destroying teams throughout Europe its part of our very best History and it should be cherished and safeguarded. An attack on Rafa is an attack on the history of the club wanting him to do well is a mark of the respect most of us have for him so we dont take it lightly when people use his name to sh*t stir.
      We have a wonderful new manager now a man of huge standing in the game and a man totally suitable for this club why cant people just be pleased for that and enjoy the new atmosphere on the forum.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8097: Nov 25, 2015 02:29:40 pm
      I wont be getting over Istanbul or destroying teams throughout Europe its part of our very best History and it should be cherished and safeguarded. An attack on Rafa is an attack on the history of the club wanting him to do well is a mark of the respect most of us have for him so we dont take it lightly when people use his name to sh*t stir.
      We have a wonderful new manager now a man of huge standing in the game and a man totally suitable for this club why cant people just be pleased for that and enjoy the new atmosphere on the forum.

Couldn't agree more with the bit in bold. I even agree with the "any attack on Rafa" line. That's why I personally never "attack" him at all, I totally agree with Daz's comment at the top of this page and said so earlier when he said this is ONE MATCH and that it's far too early for any "I told you so"s from anyone. I was saying the same thing yesterday, if they leave Benitez in charge and don't sack him I'm sure he'll win a trophy or two this season. That's why I find it funny when people get all protective and precious over absolutely f*ck all.

The sentence at the bottom in bold though echoes my thoughts exactly, if I could I'd double bold it. We have a great new manager, so why ruin the new atmos' on the forum with silliness and knuckle dragging, no need for it at all.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8098: Nov 25, 2015 03:28:18 pm
      I wont be getting over Istanbul or destroying teams throughout Europe its part of our very best History

Wasn't meaning get over that mate...

It was a simple get over Rafa being beaten by Barcelona, F**k me its one game, I can remember us beating Madrid 4-0, United 4-1 etc etc... there were no inquests then, so don't see why there's any now 12 games into the la liga season.

Its points scoring, little else.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #8099: Nov 25, 2015 04:13:59 pm
      Wasn't meaning get over that mate...

It was a simple get over Rafa being beaten by Barcelona, f**k me its one game, I can remember us beating Madrid 4-0, United 4-1 etc etc... there were no inquests then, so don't see why there's any now 12 games into the la liga season.

Its points scoring, little else.

I couldnt give a flying F**k about RM they are a horrible club with horrible players but our ex managers who have created our history deserve our total respect not the ones who have won F**k all but those who have added to the clubs silverware and in doing so the clubs History.
      Taking Rafa as a manager he has now managed Valencia,Liverpool,Inter,Chelsea,Napoli and Real Madrid now thats a pretty impressive CV of clubs and yet we have one poster in particular who goes out of his way to disrespect the man at every given opportunity. What he did at Chelsea under the regime that worked daily against him was an incredible achievement . Bill Shankly,Bob Paisely,Joe Fagan,Kenny, Souness,Evans  Houlier and Rafa all deserve respect and I fully expect Jürgen to be added to that list.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #8100: Nov 25, 2015 04:15:52 pm
      It's in fact two games in a row he's lost, and Atletico are ahead of Real again.

The result against the pighead throwers is the equivalent of us losing 0-4 at home to the mancs. If it ever came about, there would be ructions, demands for resignations and sackings, and rightly so. His tactics, his style of play, his controlling the game philosophy was found out in one of the biggest games in world football.

Of course, as what usually happens in these situations, the buck was passed on to some other lackey. When people finished blaming the players, they had a few shots at Perez, as if he was some sort of G&H conman. This is the man who has brought world class players to the club, the European Cup, and the World Club Cup, and was left to take the flak rather than the man responsible for the result on the sideline.

Real's squad is a galactico mix of superstars steaming with medallists at club and international level. Most of them won the European Cup at Real Madrid, many won the league and cup there. In a two team league, it shouldn't be all that difficult to get them to win more titles. Unfortunately, put Benitez in charge and it becomes a Herculean task. I said at the start of the season that appointing him was the surrender of the title, and nothing I've seen/heard so far suggests otherwise. Chances are he'll be back on the Wirral soon enough.

Give the lad his due if nothing else he is consistent. Everything he posts is complete bullshit and he very rarely waivers.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #8101: Nov 25, 2015 05:45:12 pm
      Atletico won one league since 1997. La Liga is a two horse race, and the only time the rest get a look in, is when both horses blow it.

It took Mourinho two years to win the title. Rafa hasn't delivered one for 12 years. He has fantastic playing and financial resources at Real. For a coach that constantly  wants big transfer budgets, he is at the richest club in the world. It's harder to screw it up than deliver trophies, but he's found a way of doing so, and antagonised 4 senior players already. (that we know of)

He lost 0-4 this weekend. No Real Madrid coach has lost 0-4 at home to them as long as I can remember, and he should be held primarily responsible for it. I know that they would if it was anyone else.

I don't care about 97. I said the last 12 years to which Madrid have won just 2 more league titles than Atletico so that is a sign that the gulf between Madrid and Atletico isnt anywhere near like it was. Barca dominate that league.

You can try and slate his transfer dealings all you want but it won't wash because it's not like signing Ronaldo, Alonso, Kaka etc but still failing to win the league that season! Or paying out a load more for Bale and Rodriguez but still failing to win the league. Which is a darn sight worse than signing one player for 30mill and the rest all under 10mill so get over yourself on that one.

Okay it took Jose 2 years, my point remains he still only won it once in 3 years.Madrid have also been humiliated by Barca numerous times at home, such as the time Ronaldinho tore them apart so much the Madrid fans even applauded him so that wasn't the worst game at home vs Barca. They have also been beaten 5-0 at home before and even lost 5-0 away under the great Jose.

Madrid have been well behind Barca for a decade now, that isn't Rafa's fault believe it or not, no matter how much you wish it to be true. Yet you seem to think it's easier to win trophies than it is to screw it up at that club, yet they didn't win the Champions League for a decade despite spending hundreds and hundreds of millions, won 3 poxy league titles despite all the money spent and top players signed and wo the Copa del Rey maybe twice so don't go giving it the bullshit about Rafa still managing to screw it up.

Madrid aren't the team they used to be and haven't been since before 2003.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #8102: Nov 25, 2015 08:52:53 pm
      Madrid do not operate like a normal football club.

If we were like them Benítez would have been sacked long before the Olympiakos game in 04/05 after some disappointing league results.

They've changed manager 35 times in the 38 years I've been alive.

I'm not arsed how he does there. If he wins nothing or the double I doubt it makes a big difference. Pellegrini (statistically) was their best ever manager and lasted a season.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8103: Nov 25, 2015 09:19:37 pm
      The Irony of this thread is those that were calling for Rodgers to be given more time after 3 seasons are being more critical of Benitez after 12 league games and not at LFC but Real Madrid.

Baffling.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8104: Nov 25, 2015 09:48:10 pm
      The Irony of this thread is those that were calling for Rodgers to be given more time after 3 seasons are being more critical of Benitez after 12 league games and not at LFC but Real Madrid.

Baffling.

Not sure I agree Daz. The irony for me is that those of us who are saying it's only one game, if he's given chance he'll win trophies etc are being singled out as bringing down the forum with negativity and hating Benitez, by those who love Benitez and who are saying he's got a devil of a job on. It's as ironic as it is bizarre.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8105: Nov 25, 2015 11:51:46 pm
      Its a whole load of bollocks over nothing Mick, we should be happy with the hand we've been dealt i.e Klopp and hope he can return us/exceed the levels Rafa had us at, thats a good benchmark. If Klopp can emulate/exceed that for a sustained period, he'll be looked at as a massive success.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8106: Nov 26, 2015 07:50:32 am
      Its a whole load of bollocks over nothing Mick, we should be happy with the hand we've been dealt i.e Klopp and hope he can return us/exceed the levels Rafa had us at, thats a good benchmark. If Klopp can emulate/exceed that for a sustained period, he'll be looked at as a massive success.

Precisely. I say again, if Real Madrid stick with Benitez for at least a season they will IMHO win a trophy or trophies.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8107: Nov 26, 2015 08:10:21 am
      Precisely. I say again, if Real Madrid stick with Benitez for at least a season they will IMHO win a trophy or trophies.

Ive no idea if he will or not mate, but bickering over one result against probably the best football team over the last decade is daft, especially when its not even our team, best of Luck to Rafa, he has my respect for everything he done for this club and I take no pleasure in seeing him fail, which ever club he is at.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #8108: Nov 26, 2015 12:48:14 pm
      Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      I don't care about 97. I said the last 12 years to which Madrid have won just 2 more league titles than Atletico so that is a sign that the gulf between Madrid and Atletico isnt anywhere near like it was. Barca dominate that league.

12 years ago, Rafa took advantage of a mediocre Barcelona league campaign, and Real blowing an 8 point lead, losing all the last 5 games in the run in.

La Liga is a two horse race, and others get a look in only when both of them blow it. You don't deny that in your response.

Madrid have also been humiliated by Barca numerous times at home, such as the time Ronaldinho tore them apart so much the Madrid fans even applauded him so that wasn't the worst game at home vs Barca.

Real have never lost by that score at home to them before. The club have at times lost 0-5 before in Barcelona, but 0-4 at home is completely unheard of.

I was monitoring the score during the game at City and as the scoreline got ever more humiliating, I felt ever more sorry for the club's fans who paid how many hundreds of Euro to sit there and endure that. They didn't want him appointed, and it's not their fault. They just have to live with the consequences.

As for it been just "one game", El Clasico is the biggest game of the season, with respect it's rather different to losing to Celta. At this club, our El Clasico is against the mancs. In his first four seasons, he took 1 point from 24 against them, an appalling record by any standards. He took 3 points from 18 against them at the toilet down the years, another shocking record. At most clubs, people would be demanding answers and actions for it. At this one, the answers given usually consist of  "Istanbul".

Quote from JD
      Madrid do not operate like a normal football club.

They've changed manager 35 times in the 38 years I've been alive.

That's how it is nowadays, across the board. In the EPL, few coaches now survive two-three full seasons.

Here, it's not long ago since we had 4 coaches in 2 years. While it's less than 2 years since we won 16 home games from 19 in the season, taking the title race to the very end, racking up three four and five goal wins on a weekly basis. 12 months and 2 cup semi finals later, the coach was labelled a spoofer, his head was demanded, and while on a 6 game unbeaten run, it was delivered. At the very top level of the game, pressure is high, and patience is low. It's by no means unique to Real Madrid.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #8109: Nov 26, 2015 02:01:07 pm
      To be fair to Rafa Barca are hitting beast mode right now.

On the flip I just don't feel he's going to do well there.

My inkling. Don't think they suit each other at all.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #8110: Nov 26, 2015 02:25:19 pm
      To be fair to Rafa Barca are hitting beast mode right now.

On the flip I just don't feel he's going to do well there.

My inkling. Don't think they suit each other at all.

that tw*t Ronaldo has probably been speaking to ferguson. Real need to realise they have gone through so many top managers and sacked them Ancelotti being the case in point. It may get to a point where top managers will just say no because they no the end game before they sign a bit of paper. Politics is playing too much with Real as a football club i think its such a shame when you see what happens when Football is the centre of everything ie Barca. i would say at this point Barca are light years ahead of Real madrid in everyway
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #8111: Nov 26, 2015 06:24:05 pm

Real have never lost by that score at home to them before. The club have at times lost 0-5 before in Barcelona, but 0-4 at home is completely unheard of.

74 they lost 5-0 at home. So yes, they have lost by that score line at home before.

As for it been just "one game", El Clasico is the biggest game of the season, with respect it's rather different to losing to Celta. At this club, our El Clasico is against the mancs. In his first four seasons, he took 1 point from 24 against them, an appalling record by any standards. He took 3 points from 18 against them at the toilet down the years, another shocking record. At most clubs, people would be demanding answers and actions for it. At this one, the answers given usually consist of  "Istanbul".

Where did I say about it being just "one game"?

You fail to mention how we turned the Mancs over 4-1 on their own turf...

As for the rest of your post, I am on my phone and it really isn't worth trying to reply to it all on here because it's just more crap from you and I would just be repeating myself so in all honesty, I'm really not arsed.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #8112: Nov 27, 2015 02:50:44 pm
      74 they lost 5-0 at home. So yes, they have lost by that score line at home before.

As for the rest of your post, I am on my phone and it really isn't worth trying to reply to it all on here because it's just more crap from you and I would just be repeating myself so in all honesty, I'm really not arsed.

Wouldn't have given the gobs***e the implied credit of a reply mate. As you point out the ''exercise'' is a waste of brain cells.
      The comment itself is merely contrived sh*t 

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #8113: Nov 28, 2015 04:46:37 pm
      Quote from 7-King Kenny-7

Others have. Hence the "as for".

The 4-1 win was our only result from 6 years of trying. The point stands.

As for the rest of your post, I am on my phone

The rest of your post, and the one below it, bring no substance to the discussion. As a result, there's nothing to discuss.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #8114: Nov 28, 2015 07:40:20 pm

The rest of your post, and the one below it, bring no substance to the discussion. As a result, there's nothing to discuss.

He's back and this time he's an idiot
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,659 posts | 489 
      Reply #8115: Nov 29, 2015 05:09:36 am

1-0 against unbeaten Chelsea.

Inter milan?
      Real madrid?
      Juventus?
      AC Milan?

Forgot them, no?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #8116: Nov 29, 2015 04:43:47 pm

No you're just talking more crap so it wasn't and isn't worth my time.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #8117: Nov 29, 2015 06:42:40 pm
      safe to come here today Real won 2=0.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4584 
      Reply #8118: Nov 29, 2015 06:43:57 pm
      safe to come here today Real won 2=0.

No calls for Rafa to re join us yet, he won & Klopp won today.... Damn...

Quick Reply