Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread

Read 1102826 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread
      Reply #9223: May 31, 2016 11:56:15 am
      Wonder why nobody is thanking Harry Kewell, he was vital.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9224: May 31, 2016 11:58:32 am
      The man who made the man that won us the CL is holding the cup with the man that won us the CL.

Don't remember Houllier holding the CL mate although Stevie Heighway held it more than once. :)
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #9225: May 31, 2016 11:58:58 am
      Wonder why nobody is thanking Harry Kewell, he was vital.

Never seen a player lose his bottle like that, or indeed during his duration as an LFC player..

Waster.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9226: May 31, 2016 12:00:22 pm
      Nah I thank Hamann, only player in our team who got a grip of Kaka, who was tearing us a new arsehole and running the game in the first half ;)

Yeah if Rafa had picked the right team in the first place we might not have had to come back from 3-0 down.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9227: May 31, 2016 12:11:59 pm
      More than Gerrard won the 2005 final, lets not kid ourselves.

From memory.

Dudek saves from Kaka and Shevchenko in open play and his penalty heroics.

Riise's assist for Gerrard to score that set the ball rolling.

Hammans assist for Smicer to score.

Barros's deft back heel (I think) that led to Gatusso bringing Gerrard down in the box.

Alonso dispatching the resulting penalty at the second bite.

Traore stopping a certain Shevchenko goal on the line after Dudek was beaten in extra time.

All the penalty takers holding their nerve in a high pressure situation.

ETC

Gerrard was great in the second half but others made just as significant contribution on the night.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9228: May 31, 2016 12:21:34 pm
      Think I also remember a professional foul from Hyppia, taking one for the team to stop either Kaka or Crespo going clean through for a one on one with Dudek.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9229: May 31, 2016 12:21:37 pm

Don't remember Houllier holding the CL mate although Stevie Heighway held it more than once. :)

Yeah if Rafa had picked the right team in the first place we might not have had to come back from 3-0 down.

And i thought LFCATW had a problem.

So Zidane's UCL win wasn't because of Rafa because it was Zidane managing the team. But '05 wasn't Rafa because it was Rafa managing Houllier's team.

But Zidane used Rafa's tactics and approach to the game whilst Rafa used a completely different system to Houllier.

I love Rafa and he turned us in to a force once again. 99% of people see it the same i reckon. And now the Geordie's will find out too :)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9230: May 31, 2016 12:26:13 pm
      Never seen a player lose his bottle like that, or indeed during his duration as an LFC player..

Waster.

Yeh Kewell was different class at Leeds, wasn't even half that player here.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9231: May 31, 2016 12:30:49 pm
      And i thought LFCATW had a problem.

So Zidane's UCL win wasn't because of Rafa because it was Zidane managing the team. But '05 wasn't Rafa because it was Rafa managing Houllier's team.

But Zidane used Rafa's tactics and approach to the game whilst Rafa used a completely different system to Houllier.

I love Rafa and he turned us in to a force once again. 99% of people see it the same i reckon. And now the Geordie's will find out too :)

I didn't say any of that crap. I simply said if Rafa had picked the right team in the first place we wouldn't have had to come back from 3-0 down.

I also gave Houllier and Heighway credit for Gerrard. Gerrard was a great player before Rafa came along mate.

So you are saying Rafa doesn't deserve ANY credit whatsoever then Crouchinho. 

We can all make sh*t up if that's what you want.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9232: May 31, 2016 12:48:37 pm
      I didn't say any of that crap. I simply said if Rafa had picked the right team in the first place we wouldn't have had to come back from 3-0 down.

Don't know what would have happened mate.

Maybe we needed to be 3-0 down to win it?

Remember it being said the Milan Team were celebrating like they'd already won it in the dressing room at half time.

Maybe our lads needed that inspiration to go out and show the game was far from over?

Maybe we needed Milans complacency to get a foothold in the game.

So many variables.

Just remember it fondly as it was, a magical night that provided quite possibly the best European cup final ever.

Then remember you were lucky enough to see it in your life time not only as a spectator but as a supporter of the eventual winners, regardless of who was manager.

Some people can support a club an entire lifetime and will never feel the experiences and emotions of that night or the Euphoric feeling when we actually F***ing won it.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #9233: May 31, 2016 12:48:49 pm
      More than Gerrard won the 2005 final, lets not kid ourselves.

From memory.

Dudek saves from Kaka and Shevchenko in open play and his penalty heroics.

Riise's assist for Gerrard to score that set the ball rolling.

Hammans assist for Smicer to score.

Barros's deft back heel (I think) that led to Gatusso bringing Gerrard down in the box.

Alonso dispatching the resulting penalty at the second bite.

Traore stopping a certain Shevchenko goal on the line after Dudek was beaten in extra time.

All the penalty takers holding their nerve in a high pressure situation.

ETC

Gerrard was great in the second half but others made just as significant contribution on the night.

Don't forget Carras last ditch blocks in extra time at a time when he could barely walk mate.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9234: May 31, 2016 12:56:32 pm
      Don't know what would have happened mate.

Maybe we needed to be 3-0 down to win it?

Remember it being said the Milan Team were celebrating like they'd already won it in the dressing room at half time.

Maybe our lads needed that inspiration to go out and show the game was far from over?

Maybe we needed Milans complacency to get a foothold in the game.

So many variables.

Just remember it fondly as it was, a magical night that provided quite possibly the best European cup final ever.

Then remember you were lucky enough to see it in your life time not only as a spectator but as a supporter of the eventual winners, regardless of who was manager.

Some people can support a club an entire lifetime and will never feel the experiences and emotions of that night or the Euphoric feeling when we actually f**king won it.

I think that's been pretty well discredited over the years mate. By Liverpool players, by Ancellotti and by the Milan players.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #9235: May 31, 2016 01:00:51 pm

But others have and you would've seen those posts given you come in here and discredit him every chance you can.

Even when Rafa leads the team to come back from 3-0 down you say "we shouldn't be 3-0 down in the first place". Well, we shouldn't have been in the final in the first place because look at the sh*t in that team that Rafa led to a final. None of the 2005 Champions League should have happened but it did, because of Rafa.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9236: May 31, 2016 01:03:44 pm
      But others have and you would've seen those posts given you come in here and discredit him every chance you can.

Even when Rafa leads the team to come back from 3-0 down you say "we shouldn't be 3-0 down in the first place". Well, we shouldn't have been in the final in the first place because look at the sh*t in that team that Rafa led to a final. None of the 2005 Champions League should have happened but it did, because of Rafa.

I couldn't give a sh*t what someone else says... you tried to attribute those comments to me. In other words you f**king lied.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #9237: May 31, 2016 01:08:44 pm
      I couldn't give a sh*t what someone else says...

Come off it, s@int. If that were true you wouldn't be in here each time Mick is in a debate and further sticking the knife in Rafa.

you tried to attribute those comments to me. In other words you f**king lied.

Give it a rest. I never said you said it, i said it's been said by others.

And it's not like those comments would be the worst thing you, Mick or LFCATW would have said about him or his management.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9238: May 31, 2016 01:11:02 pm
      Come off it, s@int. If that were true you wouldn't be in here each time Mick is in a debate and further sticking the knife in Rafa.

Give it a rest. I never said you said it, i said it's been said by others.

And it's not like those comments would be the worst thing you, Mick or LFCATW would have said about him or his management.

Bollocks... I will leave it there. You haven't even the F***ing decency to apologise when you have been pulled up.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9239: May 31, 2016 01:13:05 pm
      Quote from Jamie Carragher
      Fortunately, there was at least one sane head in the room prepared to restore our battered spirits.

In that Ataturk dressing room Rafa Benitez cemented his place in Anfield folklore.

My admiration for his handling of the situation is unlimited. Rafa's conduct rarely changed, regardless of the circumstances. His calm demeanour was never required more than now.

Privately, he must have felt the same as us. He too couldn't have failed to think about his family, or what the people of Spain would be making of his side's battering.

Here he was, still struggling with his English, trying to instruct us to achieve the impossible.

“Good luck,” I thought to myself.

He showed few signs of emotion as he explained his changes, but the speed with which he made a series of tactical switches showed how sharp he still was.

First, he told Traore to get into the shower. That was the polite code for telling a player he's being subbed.

Djibril Cisse was told he'd be coming on to play on the right side and was already getting kitted out.

As Djimi removed his shirt, an argument was brewing between Steve Finnan and our physio Dave Galley. Finnan had damaged a groin and Dave told Rafa he thought he should be subbed.

Finn was distraught and pleaded to stay on. Rafa wouldn't budge.

“We've only two subs left because we've already lost Kewell with an injury,” he explained. “I can't afford to make two now, and if you stay on I've lost my last sub.”

Traore was told to put his kit back on.

Then, as if struck by a moment of clarity, Benitez made an abrupt decision.

“Hamann will replace Finnan and we'll play 3-5-2,” he explained, displaying an assured conviction in his voice which, temporarily at least, gave me confidence.

“Pirlo is running the game from midfield, so I want Luis and Stevie to play around him and outnumber them in the middle so he can't pass the ball.”

The swiftness of this decision confirmed to me he may have considered this formation earlier. The same set-up had worked in Turin, although that had been a purely defensive strategy.

“OK,” part of me was thinking, “forty-five minutes too late, but we got there in the end.” Given the circumstances, it was still a brave move.

With both Cisse and Hamann now preparing to come on, there was only one problem.

“Rafa, I think we've 12 players out there now.”

Djibril would have to wait a while longer for his introduction.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9240: May 31, 2016 01:15:49 pm
      “forty-five minutes too late, but we got there in the end.

I agree
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #9241: May 31, 2016 01:18:15 pm
      simple change the thread to "the Rafa Benitez appreciation thread" and then all the gobshites who think they know better can huddle together in a corner and leave us who appreciate a man who made us famous again discuss how he is getting on .
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9242: May 31, 2016 01:22:13 pm
      simple change the thread to "the Rafa Benitez appreciation thread" and then all the gobshites who think they know better can huddle together in a corner and leave us who appreciate a man who made us famous again discuss how he is getting on .

Fine by me if all the sh*t heads want to just sing his praises rather than try to discuss his time here. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #9243: May 31, 2016 01:26:42 pm
      Fine by me if all the sh*t heads want to just sing his praises rather than try to discuss his time here. 

Were as you and the rest of the cu*ts want to slag him off

Grow up you miserable tw*t.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9244: May 31, 2016 01:29:36 pm
      Were as you and the rest of the cu*ts want to slag him off

Grow up you miserable tw*t.

Tut tut such language.

Nah all I want is to be able to discuss his tenure here without the lying, the abuse and the genuflecting.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9245: May 31, 2016 01:37:32 pm
      Regardless of Rafa's time here discuss the positives, discuss the negatives, but don't discredit his input in 2005, you wouldn't the players.

Remember there was more than one game that led to the final.

They all played their part.

And lastly.

Some people can support a club an entire lifetime and will never feel the experiences and emotions of that night or the Euphoric feeling when we actually F***ing won it.

Were lucky bas**rds.

Quick Reply