Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread

Read 1102343 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread
      Reply #9430: Feb 20, 2017 04:58:04 am
      Some eye catching fixtures this week.

Among them, two teams that have gone onto bigger and better things since he took a wrecking ball to them, battling it out in the Bernabeu for a quarter final place in the European Cup.

Where was himself? The hallowed turf of Carrow Road, stuttering and struggling in his quest to win a league that makes the SPL resemble Serie A.

We have lost just 4 league games this year with significant consequences. So I'm sure if we lost the amount he has, the roof would fall in.

And here's you. Still going strong in your 48 hour Valentines "w*nk into a sockathon".

F***ing weirdo!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #9431: Feb 28, 2017 09:28:23 pm
      Diame with a screamer to level the score ;D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #9432: Feb 28, 2017 09:33:53 pm
      What a turnaround in the result..

Newcastle lead... Cracking game...

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #9433: Feb 28, 2017 09:45:40 pm
      Fully deserved win and back on Top of the table but that Diame goal  :lmao:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #9434: Feb 28, 2017 09:51:09 pm
      Didn't see the game but a huge result and apparently his subs made all the difference.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #9435: Feb 28, 2017 10:00:01 pm
      Didn't see the game but a huge result and apparently his subs made all the difference.

Dominated the game but fell behind to a pen that should never have been given..but they kept their shape & belief..

Shelvey... We could do with him.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #9436: Feb 28, 2017 10:06:30 pm
      Dominated the game but fell behind to a pen that should never have been given..but they kept their shape & belief..

Shelvey... We could do with him.

Enough donkeys already mate we don't need another.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #9437: Feb 28, 2017 10:29:14 pm
      Attacking tactical change at 75 minutes from Rafa - and they go on to win the game.

He's still got it has our Rafa.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #9438: Feb 28, 2017 10:31:35 pm
      Newcastle have spent money in the past and ended up with a completely unbalanced squad. They spent 45 million this year but sold 75 million. I hope Newcastle give him the reins for transfer dealings. I think the biggest 'lie' about Rafa was his transfer dealings. Rafa built an unbelievably strong and balanced side for us, on the cheap too. Imagine if he had the resources to build a second string side as formidable. We would have won everything. I don't think he is suited to a Madrid or a side that wins solely by buying success, he's a real manager who can build teams and instruct them. I don't think he's a motivator, he expects his players to be professional and given good instruction. I think that's why Liverpool and Newcastle suit him; the fans motivate the side.

Sooner or later though, that fat c*nt Mike Ashley won't be able to help himself F**k everything up.

Rafa really must have massive balls to work with utter cu*ts like Ashley, Gillett and Hicks.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #9439: Feb 28, 2017 11:11:56 pm
      Sooner or later though, that fat c*nt Mike Ashley won't be able to help himself f**k everything up.

Rafa really must have massive balls to work with utter cu*ts like Ashley, Gillett and Hicks.

I think he likes teams like Liverpool, Newcastle, Napoli and Valencia,  that have a real passionate support. Unfortunately owners like H&G and Mike Ashley see the same potential. Pity you can't trade the owner : (
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #9440: Feb 28, 2017 11:44:25 pm
      I think he likes teams like Liverpool, Newcastle, Napoli and Valencia,  that have a real passionate support. Unfortunately owners like H&G and Mike Ashley see the same potential. Pity you can't trade the owner : (

Yes, it's a shame - a club with fanatical support and proud heritage will always be a double edged sword.

We will always attract highly regarded dignified and respectable managers like Rafa or Jürgen, but the other side to that is that it will attract snake oil salesmen who will plunder the clubs heritage in the search for a quick profit.

Hicks & Gillett were that epitomised, as is Ashley. And quite frankly, FSG have been here 7 years and aren't doing anything to suggest they are in it for nothing but the money either. So F**k them too.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #9441: Feb 28, 2017 11:57:24 pm
      Yes, it's a shame - a club with fanatical support and proud heritage will always be a double edged sword.

We will always attract highly regarded dignified and respectable managers like Rafa or Jürgen, but the other side to that is that it will attract snake oil salesmen who will plunder the clubs heritage in the search for a quick profit.

Hicks & Gillett were that epitomised, as is Ashley. And quite frankly, FSG have been here 7 years and aren't doing anything to suggest they are in it for nothing but the money either. So f**k them too.

FSG seem to be adamant about the transfers. I mean if we had splashed the cash and got wingbacks and a couple of top drawer CM or CB we would be definitely more competitive/resilient. They don't cost big money compared to attacking talent. I'm more romatic about it, I would sell Melwood and get Suarez and Robben and go out in a blaze, but even they are realists and yet they haven't really spent on at least four top drawer more tactically minded players, in their prime. I don't want to buy the league like City or Chelski but it also difficult to compete without some quality
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #9442: Mar 01, 2017 12:02:26 am
      FSG seem to be adamant about the transfers. I mean if we had splashed the cash and got wingbacks and a couple of top drawer CM or CB we would be definitely more competitive/resilient. They don't cost big money compared to attacking talent. I'm more romatic about it, I would sell Melwood and get Suarez and Robben and go out in a blaze, but even they are realists and yet they haven't really spent on at least four top drawer more tactically minded players, in their prime. I don't want to buy the league like City or Chelski but it also difficult to compete without some quality

I'm not looking to buy the league either, but the amount of excellent players we have missed out on, only to go and buy utter sh*te as a backup, is quite frankly disgraceful ownership of the club.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #9443: Mar 01, 2017 03:42:32 am
      I'm not looking to buy the league either, but the amount of excellent players we have missed out on, only to go and buy utter sh*te as a backup, is quite frankly disgraceful ownership of the club.

I agree, there is definitely a lack of finished article top drawer players, who have shown there worth. We need the 27-31 year old (average) players in there prime with experience and energy, who have shown there worth. And we need more than 1 and we need them in key positions; in the middle particularly.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9444: Mar 02, 2017 07:17:46 pm
      I agree, there is definitely a lack of finished article top drawer players, who have shown there worth. We need the 27-31 year old (average) players in there prime with experience and energy, who have shown there worth. And we need more than 1 and we need them in key positions; in the middle particularly.

Thing is though, people would still moan them players aren't good enough.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #9445: Mar 11, 2017 05:07:07 pm
      Newcastle making hard work of winning this league.

A bit of a tonking for Rafa at home to Fulham!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #9446: Mar 11, 2017 05:24:42 pm
      Newcastle making hard work of winning this league.

A bit of a tonking for Rafa at home to Fulham!

I still think they'll win it, and to be fair Fulham are a lovely footballing side with some very good young players who can do some damage when they're on song. They are making hard work of it though, they have without any question whatsoever the best squad in the division by an absolute distance. 
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #9447: Mar 11, 2017 05:51:47 pm
      I still think they'll win it, and to be fair Fulham are a lovely footballing side with some very good young players who can do some damage when they're on song. They are making hard work of it though, they have without any question whatsoever the best squad in the division by an absolute distance. 

Strong squad, but you have to remember, the Championship is not the Scottish league where they are littered with amateurs.

You put us in the Championship and I actually don't think we would walk the league with the squad we have, and I think our squad is stronger. Will probably win it, but certainly won't be easy and a walk over.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #9448: Mar 11, 2017 08:33:13 pm
      Strong squad, but you have to remember, the Championship is not the Scottish league where they are littered with amateurs.

You put us in the Championship and I actually don't think we would walk the league with the squad we have , and I think our squad is stronger. Will probably win it, but certainly won't be easy and a walk over.

Put us in the Championship and we'd be promoted by Christmas mate, be serious. I'm not saying we'd do a Celtic this season, but then nobody in any league I've ever heard of has done that. We'd p!ss it though, we'd have the best player in each position in the league. Not unlike Newcastle in many respects.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #9449: Mar 11, 2017 08:36:44 pm
      Put us in the Championship and we'd be promoted by Christmas mate, be serious. I'm not saying we'd do a Celtic this season, but then nobody in any league I've ever heard of has done that. We'd p!ss it though, we'd have the best player in each position in the league. Not unlike Newcastle in many respects.

Shows how clever Benitez operated in the transfer market..

Villa outspent them in the summer & look where they are.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #9450: Mar 11, 2017 08:42:08 pm
      Shows how clever Benitez operated in the transfer market..

Villa outspent them in the summer & look where they are.

In NET terms they did mate yes, I think Benitez may have even made a profit. Mind you getting 30 million for Sissoko and 25 million for Wijnaldum made a difference, as did selling Andros Townsend. That's what enabled Newcastle to assemble what Alan Curbishley called the "strongest squad he's ever seen in the Championship".

They'll still win it though, just thought they'd have had it in the bag by now.   
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #9451: Mar 11, 2017 08:52:30 pm

In NET terms they did mate yes, I think Benitez may have even made a profit. Mind you getting 30 million for Sissoko and 25 million for Wijnaldum made a difference, as did selling Andros Townsend. That's what enabled Newcastle to assemble what Alan Curbishley called the "strongest squad he's ever seen in the Championship".

They'll still win it though, just thought they'd have had it in the bag by now.   

Been following the footy in the championship & I tell you what mate there's some great football being played in that league..
      There is no guarantee getting back into the PL of first time asking as it's so competitive over the 46 games with domestic cups thrown in..

I would be well chuffed to see Benitez back in the PL alongside Klopp,Guardiola,Conte,Jose,Pochettino,Wenger... Just going to be very difficult...

But...

Chris Houghton deserves a lot of credit in what he has achieved with BHA, loved what he achieved with Newcastle but unfairly removed my Ashley..could end up similar for Rafa.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,211 posts | 1214 
      Reply #9452: Mar 11, 2017 09:28:00 pm
      They've had a few performance like that this season. Top of the league and just when you expect them to pull away, they trip themselves up with a strange looking result.

Still fully expect them to win the league, although maybe not with the 102 points they secured last time.

Quick Reply