Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread

Read 1102212 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread
      Reply #9476: Apr 11, 2017 05:16:42 pm
      Nah mate not for me he's a world class manager with pedigree above the championship. He brought in a lot of new players and outspent everyone barring Villa should have been 10 clear.

Outspending teams doesn't mean a lot these days as evident in the Premiership. The standard of the championship isn't far off the premiership from around 8th downwards. It's been a while since a prem team blew away a championship team when facing each other and the teams that come up are more than capable of comfortably securing a mid table finish. The championship is probably one of the toughest, if not the toughest division to get promoted from.

The gap is getting smaller.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #9477: Apr 12, 2017 07:49:34 am
      Their squad lost quite a number of players. Newcastle had spent a lot on players and so a lot of them thought they were too good for the Championship. More so than some of the other teams that went down. Newcastle sold Townsend, Wijnaldum, Sissoko, and quite a few more. They bought in Ritchie and Gayle (Net spend again!!). Lots of injuries to contend with. So do all the others, the Championship is brutal. The point is Rafa was given a task and he made good (most likely). If they do get back up it will be interesting to see who he gets their next year.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #9478: Apr 12, 2017 10:05:17 am
      It'll be great to see Rafa back in the PL next season, pity it'll be with Newcastle though (unless something changes).
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #9479: Apr 12, 2017 10:21:39 am
      My money, if I gambled, would be on him falling out with ashley over lack of transfer funds and heading to arsenal.

Have that with a double of Rooney going back to the shed and you'll be quids in. ;)

Yeah I have a feeling he might feel his job is done there after bringing them up, and move on.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #9480: Apr 12, 2017 02:42:21 pm
      Interesting comments from Broughton in the papers today.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #9481: Apr 12, 2017 02:54:09 pm
      Interesting comments from Broughton in the papers today.

What was said Dado?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #9482: Apr 12, 2017 03:14:08 pm

Benitez and his final days at Liverpool

Former chairman says Rafa was never sacked but felt he had to walk away from Anfield

BROUGHTON ON RAFA
      The background..

Sir Martin Broughton was the man who sold Liverpool. The man who went through the courts to prise the club out of the much-despised hands of George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

It was he who Hicks infamously accused of being the orchestrator of “an epic swindle” over the sale of the club.

His six months as chairman of Liverpool FC were some of the most dramatic in the club’s 125 year history. Seven years this week after his appointment in April 2010 - and finally clear of years of legal wrangling - he spoke with Neil Jones and Andy Kelly about those astonishing times at Anfield.

He revealed for the first time the inner workings of a club which at the time was in the midst of a civil war.

The man who sold Liverpool - 90 minutes with Sir Martin Broughton
      But here, Sir Martin Broughton gives his version of the final days of Rafa Benitez.

The popular Spaniard left Anfield less than two months after the new chairman’s arrival - and has a very different view of those final weeks - but Broughton now insists he never wanted him to go.

'I didn't sack Rafa'

The circumstances surrounding Rafa Benitez’s exit as Liverpool manager have been discussed in depth for the first time - by the man who let him go.

Sir Martin Broughton was Liverpool’s chairman at the time of Benitez’s departure in 2010, having been appointed by RBS bank to find new owners that could take over from the despised pair of Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

Hicks and Gillett owed the bank in the region of ÂŁ300m and RBS wanted a sale of the club to ensure that loan was repaid.

It was agreed that Sir Martin would take a seat on the LFC board to progress a sale within six months and he was given the casting vote among that five strong board.

But within days of his arrival on Merseyside, the former British Airways chairman found himself at the centre of a storm involving Benitez and Christian Purslow, then the Reds’ managing director.

And in an exclusive, 90-minute interview with the ECHO for Anfield Extra subscribers, Broughton has lifted the lid on those days and weeks, insisting: “I never wanted Rafa to go.”

Sir Martin said: “The one thing I did not want to do was to sack Rafa. And the reason for that was nothing to do with my relationship with Rafa. The reason was that I felt the right people to decide who the new manager should be, or that it should be Rafa, were the new owners.

“The wrong person to decide that was me, who had been brought in to find a new owner on a temporary basis. So I was very clear in my position that Rafa stays.

“As you are aware at that time, there was a very unhealthy atmosphere at that time, where there were three cliques basically. You had the owners, you had the manager and you had the executive, all leaking to people against the other two – and there was a sub-division of that between the two owners as well.

“Rafa had his own full-time PR person who was managing his position.

“I had expected, given that, that with me coming on board, Rafa would actually make an effort to align himself with a potential ally. It turned out to be quite different.

“This may be me being old fashioned, but I didn’t want my first meeting with Rafa to be on the phone. I wanted a face-to-face meeting.

“Almost immediately after I was appointed, there was a match on a Monday night (against West Ham) so I sent a message to Rafa that I would like to have breakfast with him on the Tuesday morning. Don’t interfere with the manager on the day of the match, so let’s have breakfast the next morning.

“That was fine, but it turned out that that was the week with the volcanic ash problems, and Liverpool were off to Spain on the Thursday.

“They were leaving Tuesday lunchtime, so I didn’t think that would stop Rafa from meeting Tuesday morning. That wouldn’t have been an issue for me, but in the early hours of the morning a message went from Rafa to Christian Purslow to say that he couldn’t meet me because he had to be off Tuesday lunchtime.

“I didn’t really understand that. I had been at the club three days maybe at this point, and still hadn’t met him. So anyway he went off to Spain, then the following weekend there was an away game (at Burnley) which I didn’t go to.

“Then the following week there was the replay (second leg, against Atletico Madrid) and again I asked to meet for breakfast the day after the match.

“Liverpool won the game but went out on away goals, and again in the early hours comes a message that says ‘I’m too distraught with the result, my head’s not in the right place, I can’t meet’.

“To me, this is getting weird. This was the second opportunity to meet, just for a chat.

“But on the Saturday, in his pre-match chat with the TV, Rafa says ‘I don’t understand what is going on here, the new chairman has been here nearly two weeks and I’ve not even met him yet!’

“I thought ‘hmm, I see the tone of things now!’ But I still didn’t want him to go. I’m used to people playing silly games at times, so I thought let’s keep it straight.”

Broughton did eventually meet Benitez, and detailed the discussions which took place at that face-to-face.

He said: “We had an interesting thing where I did then meet him, and I had a two-hour download from Rafa, without being able to get a word in, where he told me what was wrong.

“That was fine, get it off your chest, it’s not a complaint at all. I like to hear his version. I then had another meeting with him maybe a week later, and got the same two-hour download.

“I kept interrupting ‘Rafa, you told me that...’ and he said ‘you just need to hear this...’ before we could have a conversation.

“Essentially, I was saying to him ‘what do you need?’ In my background, if you want investment you say what is wrong, what have you tried to do about it that hasn’t worked, what do you need and how is it going to work.

“He had come with a shopping list which included, for example, a left back. And I said ‘Rafa, you’ve been here six years, and you’ve bought six left backs and you’re telling me none of them have worked. So what are you going to differently this time?’ There was no answer.

“I asked him to write down everything he wanted and why it was going to work. And he did. He thought it was totally incomprehensible from a football viewpoint but he did it!

“And I was beginning to think we were starting to get on the right wavelength, when it became obvious that he wanted to have discussions through his lawyer – and that’s when it became obvious that he wanted out.”

Benitez would eventually see out the 2009/10 season, but left Liverpool ‘by mutual consent’ on June 3, 2010, stating that he was “extremely sad” to be going. He was appointed by then European Champions Inter Milan a week later.

“I think he’d probably already decided he’d had enough before I got there,” Broughton said. “The atmosphere was pretty awful, and I think he’d seen the opportunity to maybe get out with a new person coming in.

“I didn’t want to get distracted by all of this. And it was very interesting that the fan input to me personally, a bit face to face but usually via e-mail, was about 50-50 – there was no moderate – it was totally polarised.

“It was ‘do not get rid of Rafa’ to ‘this club will never go forward unless Rafa goes’. It was about 50-50, but they were total polar opposites. My idea was still that he would stay.

“Rafa basically pulled out of the whole thing and said ‘I’m going to leave this to my lawyers to negotiate.’

“He didn’t say he was leaving, and I never told him he was leaving. It was ‘I’ll leave this to my lawyer’ and his lawyer’s stance was ‘what are the terms for Rafa going’?”

Was there any thought that Rafa going could make the sale of the club easier?

“I don’t think I saw it as making the process easier. I found having to deal with the exit of the manager a distraction, and getting in the way of what I was trying to do. I would have preferred he stayed.

“Did it have the impact of having one less problem to deal with? Yes. But had he stayed and not been a problem, that would have been better still!”

Broughton, of course, replaced Benitez with Roy Hodgson, who proved to be one of the worst managerial appointments in Liverpool history

Echo
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #9483: Apr 12, 2017 04:33:16 pm
      Benitez and his final days at Liverpool

Former chairman says Rafa was never sacked but felt he had to walk away from Anfield

BROUGHTON ON RAFA
      The background..

Sir Martin Broughton was the man who sold Liverpool. The man who went through the courts to prise the club out of the much-despised hands of George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

Echo

Thanks Dave.

Strange if true Rafa wanting to leave but then wanting an interview with Ayres?.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,167 posts | 8548 
      Reply #9484: Apr 12, 2017 06:45:27 pm
      Wonder why that Chelsea pr**k Broughton is opening his grid now?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,409 posts | 3406 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #9485: Apr 12, 2017 06:47:58 pm
      Seems all in all a pretty fu**ed up situation
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #9486: Apr 12, 2017 09:31:01 pm

Interesting isn't it?

Perhaps both him and Purslow signed a gagging order for a period of time.

Basically Rafas position became unattainable with all the sh*t going on.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #9487: Apr 12, 2017 10:26:47 pm

Maybe his brown envelope money from John Henry has run out, and he needs a few quid from interviews.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #9488: Apr 13, 2017 04:04:20 pm
      Quote from Dadorious
      Nah mate not for me he's a world class manager with pedigree above the championship.

He was once world class. Today, he's Newcastle class, where you can take your team down without responsibility nor consequences, then squander a 6 point lead twice over and blow a league he was expected to canter.

World class coaches don't get relegated, they win trophies year in year out at much higher levels of football than the English championship.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #9489: Apr 13, 2017 05:42:04 pm
      He was once world class. Today, he's Newcastle class, where you can take your team down without responsibility nor consequences, then squander a 6 point lead twice over and blow a league he was expected to canter.

World class coaches don't get relegated, they win trophies year in year out at much higher levels of football than the English championship.

He got ten games to turn round a sunken ship but yep it was all his fault , your pure hatred for a guy of his class knows no bounds , your like a worn out cock looking for a rise .
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #9490: Apr 13, 2017 05:46:20 pm
      Interesting isn't it?

Perhaps both him and Purslow signed a gagging order for a period of time.

Basically Rafas position became unattainable with all the sh*t going on.

Court cases and appeals rather than gagging orders.
      H&G were unable to bring cases in this country, but they've been doing it in the US.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #9491: Apr 14, 2017 11:57:23 pm
      Quote from andylfcynwa
      He got ten games to turn round a sunken ship but yep it was all his fault .

He knew what he was getting into when he took the job, 1 point from safety with 30 points available, not exactly a Derby County predicament.

He was hired to keep them up and failed. I never said it was all his fault, but some of it certainly was. Under his watch, he could have won at Villa like everyone else did, but he failed. He could have won at Norwich as many others did, but he failed. He could have won here, but settled for a point. So yes, he bears responsibility for their fate.

The quality of the division he is currently in means he can lose 9 games a year, throw away leads late on as usual, and still be comfortably promoted. But Newcastle won the division easily last time, so they shouldn't be satisfied without it this time, and certainly not to Brighton who have done nothing of note since 1983.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #9492: Apr 17, 2017 04:55:31 pm
      Heading for a loss at Ipswich...

If Huddersfield win later it would take them 5 points behind with a game in hand...

Barcodes not making it any easy for themselves...
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #9493: Apr 17, 2017 06:34:54 pm
      Squeaky bum time for the Toon, if they do a bottle job it will be a monumental failure from Rafa, having the resources available to him cf to Huddersfield.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #9494: Apr 22, 2017 12:46:41 am
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #9495: Apr 24, 2017 08:03:53 pm
      Could tonight be the night for the Toon.

1-1 so far.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #9496: Apr 24, 2017 08:18:51 pm
      Good goal by Preston on the counter break..

Squeaky bum time up north.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #9497: Apr 24, 2017 08:33:44 pm
      2-1 should relieve a bit of the pressure and maybe bring some life into the crowd.

And I thought Anfield was a library at times!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #9498: Apr 24, 2017 08:36:09 pm
      2-1 should relieve a bit of the pressure and maybe bring some life into the crowd.

And I thought Anfield was a library at times!

Yeah the anxiety of the supporters reflecting the players performance..

Anfield would be roaring the team on the barcodes couldn't wait for the half time whistle to drown a few pints & ease their nerves ;D

Quick Reply