Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread

Read 1096322 times
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread
      Reply #9867: Sep 23, 2018 01:07:36 am
      According to official UEFA rankings Liverpool FC are back in top position in the list of European Clubs after their fine start to the European campaign this season.
      The UEFA coefficient data ranks teams based on results and standard of opposition in European competitions over 5 seasons. (or since Rafa arrived).
      1 Liverpool FC (114.077)
      2 Chelsea FC (110.077)
      3 Barcelona (109.403)
      4 AC Milan (109.306)
      5 Arsenal (101.077)
      6 Sevilla (100.403)
      7 Man Utd (99.077)
      8 Bayern Munich (93.664)
      9 Lyon (90.576)
      10 Inter Milan (87.306)
      Liverpool also have the highest ranking for this present season with (18.1775 points) closely followed by Bayern Munich, who handed out a 5-0 demolition at Sporting Lisbon tonight.
      Everton are ranked 54th, 5 places behind Bolton and 16 places behind Middlesbrough.
      the above from 2009
      You can say you don't like Rafa although without ever meeting him I find this a bit bizzare.
      If you are going to attack his record then you have to do the same with managers before and after his tenure.
      I would like those people attacking Rafa to be honest and admit what is behind their attacks because you simply cant attack his record it is tight up there with the best.

Walton, I believe I have said in the past why I dislike him, Well not so much Rafa but his style of management, his treatment of players,  players Babel, Riera, Benayoun, and Alonso, The fact that he would set out a team and his first thought was "how do i not lose this game" , instead of "How do I win this game"...

The fact that had he been a little bit more cavalierly in his approach to game, if he had taken the shackles off of the team we might of won more thorphies and definitely won the Premier League where we came second to Man Utd...

He would rather sacrifice a Premier League title if it meant a chance to win the CL...

Begin so divisive...

Rafa airing the club business in public, and manipulating the fan base causing division in the club even as he walk out the door...

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9868: Sep 23, 2018 05:19:40 am
      People rave about how Klopp has gotten his wish of having the final say and control over transfers but then Rafa has wanting that used against him. Funny old world.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #9869: Sep 23, 2018 09:19:08 am
      HOw many of these people who didn't like Rafa's way of treating players are on the Klopp thread slagging him off for his appalling treatment of Shaqiri yesterday. Well its at least what they should be saying because that what they would have said about Rafa. Manager make decisions for the team not an individual player.
      Still not seen an honest reply to the vitriol from posters about RAFA.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,484 posts | 3286 
      Reply #9870: Sep 23, 2018 09:33:38 am
      Try reading my post....
      The only thing i attributed to you was the fact you mentioned "Bitterness" in your post

As for the supported Liverpool fan bit, you or no one else can tell me how i should support My team, Liverpool FC...

And putting the word "simple" does not validate any claim that you make...

If you want, No, Need to believe all the hype about Rafa, then it is your prerogative, just done try selling it to me...

Oh yes!! please note that despite all the insult you choose to level at me I did not return any at you.... My point... I can disagree and debate something with someone without feeling that by insult someone scores me more point or makes my case any stronger. In my mind if you have to resort to claiming someone should go support another tine , or they are not a real fan, you have already lost the debate.... xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

I didn’t tell you to go and support someone else - I said the tripe you are spouting about a Guy who managed the club to win a CL is the sort of tripe the bitter lot across the park spout or the sh*te up the road

What’s this hype stuff you are dribbling on about - he won the CL , FA Cup - got us to another CL final - that’s not hype that’s fact and it’s achievements that put him up with our top managers.

Here is the question you ignored so I’ll ask it again to see if you are a hypocrite

You want to take the gloss of Rafa because the 05 win was with a lot of GH players SO do you also take the gloss of Kennys Double year because that team was Joes bar one player .
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #9871: Sep 23, 2018 10:00:47 am
      In the cases of Inter Milan, it was a Serie A, Coppa Italia, CL winning and a runners up in the Supercoppa Italiana squad left to him by Jose Mourinho.

Real Madrid one of two top sides in Spain and Europa, even Woy could have won titles and cups with them...

Liverpool CL win win a GĂ©rard Houllier squad, followed be a Cup win with one of his squads nothing after that

Chelsea A steering Job, no real in put team wise

I'll give him Napoli and Valencia
      What The CL win with Houllier men?... or the one real Cup he can claim to have won... The FA Cup?
      Choosing to make that allegation on live TV after winning the Club World Cup, trying to turn the supporters against the owners, much like he did at Liverpool and was sacked for it

Valencia

BenĂ­tez fell out with JesĂșs GarcĂ­a Pitarch, the club's director of football, over control of new signings and the club's failure to reinforce the squad with the players he wanted.

Liverpool

BenĂ­tez still appeared to be at odds with Liverpool's owners, publicly turning down a contract extension and demanding more control over transfers

Inter

Buoyed by the Club World Cup victory, he told the European champions to back him with new signings or consider whether they wanted to keep him as coach, despite the side having won the treble only a few months earlier. BenĂ­tez's demands were dismissed out of hand by the Inter ownership, with Massimo Moratti refusing to comment on BenĂ­tez's continued employment by the club.[51][52] On 23 December, BenĂ­tez was dismissed by Inter

Chelsea

BenĂ­tez heavily criticised the Chelsea board for giving him the title of "interim manager"

Napoli

Real
      BenĂ­tez's contract was terminated following allegations of unpopularity with supporters, displeasure with players

Did you notice the patterns there...?

Joins a club, and then stars demands ever more money to spend on players...Waste most of it, and demands more... Tries to put pressure on the owners, using the supporters by making public statements as to how the owners are failing to invest in players... Poor Man management skills... alienates players

A divisive and Fan manipulating figure at any of the Clubs that you have named and very much so at Liverpool

Managers who have not put themselves in to a position where none of the top to mid table teams in Europa would not want to hire them. Respect managers by owners who can work within their systems

You're not a proper red. Never have been, never will be. You're a loner who has seen a forum as some sort of solice. I can live with that, but really, go away, educate yourself a bit and then try and blag it again. Honestly, in my time on this forum I've never known anyone to talk as much bollocks as you and that's some F***ing list that you're sitting at the top of. You're embarrassing yourself just trying to copy off that other w**ker but at least his is a real opinion albeit a weird one. I cringe for you on those rare occasions I bother reading your sh*t.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #9872: Sep 23, 2018 10:30:11 am
      I didn’t tell you to go and support someone else - I said the tripe you are spouting about a Guy who managed the club to win a CL is the sort of tripe the bitter lot across the park spout or the sh*te up the road

What’s this hype stuff you are dribbling on about - he won the CL , FA Cup - got us to another CL final - that’s not hype that’s fact and it’s achievements that put him up with our top managers.

Here is the question you ignored so I’ll ask it again to see if you are a hypocrite

You want to take the gloss of Rafa because the 05 win was with a lot of GH players SO do you also take the gloss of Kennys Double year because that team was Joes bar one player .

It should also be remembered the constraints Rafa was working under when we had Twit and tw*t as our owners.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9873: Sep 23, 2018 12:07:08 pm
      HOw many of these people who didn't like Rafa's way of treating players are on the Klopp thread slagging him off for his appalling treatment of Shaqiri yesterday. Well its at least what they should be saying because that what they would have said about Rafa. Manager make decisions for the team not an individual player.
      Still not seen an honest reply to the vitriol from posters about RAFA.
      How many indeed  ;D I'm not one of them, although I did like most here wonder why he sudded him
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9874: Sep 23, 2018 12:11:30 pm
      People rave about how Klopp has gotten his wish of having the final say and control over transfers but then Rafa has wanting that used against him. Funny old world.
      Rafa spend money bringing player even when he did not need to, Quantity, so far Klopp has shown that it is what he consider to be Quality that matters and does not spend if he does not consider it to be a good deal.....
      Be assured that "If" he (Klopp) starts doing things they why Rafa did in the transfer market I'll be leading the line of supporters calling him out for that 
      « Last Edit: Sep 23, 2018 12:30:20 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #9875: Sep 23, 2018 12:23:41 pm
      F**k me, have you lot been at this all night ?
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9876: Sep 23, 2018 12:25:54 pm
      I didn’t tell you to go and support someone else

Again did i say that You did...??

Ok maybe it is my fault, I did not make it clear... When i said  "you" in the sentence "In my mind if you have to resort to claiming someone should go support another tine , or they are not a real fan, you have already lost the debate...." The "you" was a meaning You as in "Anybody" or "Anyone"

I said the tripe you are spouting about a Guy who managed the club to win a CL is the sort of tripe the bitter lot across the park spout or the sh*te up the road

No I do not,partly but no solely, because KD not only Managed Liverpool but also played for the team, Rafa just managed the team, and for the most part poorly

Edit :- We can continue this at length if you wish or for the sake of the other contributors here we can just agree to disagree
      ball is in your court... PS if you wish to end it, by all means have a final say
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9877: Sep 23, 2018 12:45:20 pm
      You're not a proper red. Never have been, never will be. You're a loner who has seen a forum as some sort of solice. I can live with that, but really, go away, educate yourself a bit and then try and blag it again. Honestly, in my time on this forum I've never known anyone to talk as much bollocks as you and that's some f**king list that you're sitting at the top of. You're embarrassing yourself just trying to copy off that other w**ker but at least his is a real opinion albeit a weird one. I cringe for you on those rare occasions I bother reading your sh*t.
      We have had our ups and down here, no body is ever going to agree 100% of the time with everybody else... I try not to insult people

A) because it it just and opinion and agree with it or not you should respect that

B) I try not to especial here; because at the end of the day we all want whats best for Liverpool FC, even if we disagree on what that is

C) No one has the right to tell another supporter that just because he has a different opinion to theirs that he is, as you put it "You're not a proper red. Never have been, never will be"

As I said I would never dream of say that to another supporter no matter thier age... It is just so gauche, and I do read your post and you are far from that... Someone once said that "when a post starts  with insults and swearing i read no further because it seldom gets any better"... think I will start doing the same here
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9878: Sep 23, 2018 12:46:01 pm
      F**k me, have you lot been at this all night ?
      Day shift mate..;D
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,484 posts | 3286 
      Reply #9879: Sep 23, 2018 12:53:50 pm
      Rafa spend money bringing player even when he did not need to, Quantity, so far Klopp has shown that it is what he consider to be Quality that matters and does not spend if he does not consider it to be a good deal.....
      Be assured that "If" he (Klopp) starts doing things they why Rafa did in the transfer market I'll be leading the line of supporters calling him out for that

Sorry but who did Rafa buy when he didn’t need too ?!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #9880: Sep 23, 2018 12:54:02 pm
      I still think its sad and the real reason is not known. If you think he treated players badly (I think its a Robbie Keane issue) Shankly wouldn't even talk to an injured player because they were no use to him that's how it works .These managers are not social workers they have a limited shelf life and need to be ruthless in terms of using the players to keep themselves in a job.
      I still find it sad that any RED would try to devalue one of the clubs greatest ever achievements in winning a European Cup final after being 3 -0 down at half time.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,484 posts | 3286 
      Reply #9881: Sep 23, 2018 12:59:29 pm
      Again did i say that You did...??

Ok maybe it is my fault, I did not make it clear... When i said  "you" in the sentence "In my mind if you have to resort to claiming someone should go support another tine , or they are not a real fan, you have already lost the debate...." The "you" was a meaning You as in "Anybody" or "Anyone"

No I do not,partly but no solely, because KD not only Managed Liverpool but also played for the team, Rafa just managed the team, and for the most part poorly

Edit :- We can continue this at length if you wish or for the sake of the other contributors here we can just agree to disagree
      ball is in your court... PS if you wish to end it, by all means have a final say

So because Kenny played for the club you won’t take the gloss off his first season but you will because Rafa didn’t play ?! That’s quite clearly twisting your own agenda to ensure you don’t apply the same principles to two similar situations

So basically you are a hypocrite with a massive chip on your shoulder in regards a manager who won the CL with the club - that’s more than any other manager since Joe in 84.

In regards the suggestions that it was mostly poorly managed yet won trophies - I would hate to see what you think of Klopp who hasn’t won anything yet - or should I guess that you again won’t apply the same principles and once again be a hypocrite - I’m also going to guess you aren’t from the city
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #9882: Sep 23, 2018 01:37:25 pm
      I still think its sad and the real reason is not known. If you think he treated players badly (I think its a Robbie Keane issue) Shankly wouldn't even talk to an injured player because they were no use to him that's how it works .These managers are not social workers they have a limited shelf life and need to be ruthless in terms of using the players to keep themselves in a job.
      I still find it sad that any RED would try to devalue one of the clubs greatest ever achievements in winning a European Cup final after being 3 -0 down at half time.

I honestly wouldn't bother mate.

There's a couple on here that try to get attention by being what they think is "controversial".
      They don't seem to realise that they're not being controversial, they're being disrespectful.

Rafa was, and is, a Legend.
      If people want to try and pick apart his achievements, then imo, crack on, as it simply devalues their thoughts on any other subject.
      Yes, the man had his faults, like we all do, but players of the calibre of Gerrard, Alonso, Hyypia (and I could keep going here, but you get the idea) have all credited him with vastly improving the technical side of their game, their understanding and knowledge of tactics, and the absolute importance of managing fitness (Gerrard in particular had a lot to say about that, and gave Rafa a lot of credit for changing his mindset).

When H&G took over, we were ranked number 1 in Europe, and that was down to Rafa.
      They fu**ed him like they tried to F**k the club and tried to F**k the fans.

The man's an absolute Legend, and shows how he feels about us every year at the Memorial service.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9883: Sep 23, 2018 01:39:39 pm
      So because Kenny played for the club you won’t take the gloss off his first season but you will because Rafa didn’t play ?! That’s quite clearly twisting your own agenda to ensure you don’t apply the same principles to two similar situations

So basically you are a hypocrite with a massive chip on your shoulder in regards a manager who won the CL with the club - that’s more than any other manager since Joe in 84.

In regards the suggestions that it was mostly poorly managed yet won trophies - I would hate to see what you think of Klopp who hasn’t won anything yet - or should I guess that you again won’t apply the same principles and once again be a hypocrite - I’m also going to guess you aren’t from the city
      A) why would I  have a chip on my shoulder because we won the CL...? the is pathetic
      B) I don't have to be in Liverpool to support them...Your are from Milton Keynes do that mean that you can't support  LFC..? I think not

Try reading my reply to Walton's post... Wait here it is for you 

I would like those people attacking Rafa to be honest and admit what is behind their attacks because you simply cant attack his record it is tight up there with the best.

MY anwser

Walton, I believe I have said in the past why I dislike him, Well not so much Rafa but his style of management, his treatment of players,  players Babel, Riera, Benayoun, and Alonso, The fact that he would set out a team and his first thought was "how do i not lose this game" , instead of "How do I win this game"...

The fact that had he been a little bit more cavalierly in his approach to game, if he had taken the shackles off of the team we might of won more thorphies and definitely won the Premier League where we came second to Man Utd...

He would rather sacrifice a Premier League title if it meant a chance to win the CL...

Begin so divisive...

Rafa airing the club business in public, and manipulating the fan base causing division in the club even as he walk out the door...

And i stand wholeheartedly behind it....

QUESTION FOR YOU.... What did you think or Gerard Houllier, and his achievements to Rafa...?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,484 posts | 3286 
      Reply #9884: Sep 23, 2018 01:55:27 pm
      A) why would I  have a chip on my shoulder because we won the CL...? the is pathetic
      B) I don't have to be in Liverpool to support them...Your are from Milton Keynes do that mean that you can't support  LFC..? I think not

Try reading my reply to Walton's post... Wait here it is for you 

MY anwser

And i stand wholeheartedly behind it....

QUESTION FOR YOU.... What did you think or Gerard Houllier, and his achievements to Rafa...?

Im not “from”MK - that’s where I currently live

You have a clear chip on your shoulder about Rafa - clear as day , you apply different sets of criteria to him than you do others to attempt to justify your opinion of him

1. You take the gloss of him winning the CL because he used some players that were already there - yet fail to understand how crucial the players he bought were and how he also improved the players at the club already and it was his tactics that helped win the CL. Yet Kenny won the double with the whole of Joes squad but as you have already said because Kenny played for the club you treat him differently - hypocrite

2. Rafa won two big comps in his time - the biggest of the lot - Klopp so far has won nothing , you think Rafa in the main was a poor manager for us so what do you think of Klopp then

As for my opinion on GH - he did brilliant for a number of years , won the treble and nearly won the league but then tailed off with poor signings and wasted money but will be rightly remembered for that 2001 Treble but Rafas accomplishments in 05 put him above GH

As for Rafa priorities in regards PL and CL - Rafa always put priority in the competition he felt the team was best equipped to win - for a number of the years that was the CL because we didn’t have the strong enough squad to win the PL - Rafa arrived at a time when Chelsea were spending millions each year whilst we didn’t have two pennies to rub together and our money came from loans and player sales. He managed to get a strong 11 that very nearly won the title but ultimately just fell short - that season he didn’t priotise the CL over PL

As for falling out with players

Babel - just not good enough
      Xabi - for a about 12-18 months Alonsos form dropped significantly hence why Rafa was loooking to sell him on - yet no one wanted to buy him - he then went and had a great season and left for Real

And as for airing the clubs business - thank god he did - he opened up a few eyes about the two guys that nearly ruined the club - he put the needs of the club and the fans above himself by going public at how they were financially ruined and we were screwed. He didn’t manipulate the fan base - he was on their side against the two crooks.

But then I suspect you get it all from forums and internet as opposed to living and breathing it on then stands home and away

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9885: Sep 23, 2018 02:04:34 pm
      Walt, It is not Robby Keane, it was the things Babel, Yossi, Riera siad how he treated them

Riera on Rafa
      "He thinks he's in charge and everything else falls on deaf ears. His dialogue with the players is practically nil."

Riera, who is desperate to play in the World Cup this summer, also accused Benitez of giving him the silent treatment.

He added: "When the coach says nothing to you and you are well, with no physical problems and training well, you cannot help but think it must be something personal.

"If I'm doing something badly and you are my boss, and you value me, then you are going to come and tell me what I have to do to play again. This is what hurts me.

"You see that the team are not doing well and there are no changes. It's a little frustrating because you see that you can help."
      https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/163734/Albert-Riera-lashes-out-at-Rafa-Benitez

Ryan Babel on Rafa
      Babel explained: 'I have tried to talk to the manager but it isn't of any use. I couldn't really do anything with the feedback Benitez gave me.
      https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/163734/Albert-Riera-lashes-out-at-Rafa-Benitez

Most damning are the comments made by Yossi Benayoun

Benayoun on Rafa

"Everyone asks me why I left Liverpool," said Benayoun. "There is only one reason – Rafa Benítez."

The midfielder says the Spaniard, who left Liverpool to manage Internazionale, never treated him with respect he felt he deserved.

"If I played well, I never felt he gave me credit," he told the News of the World.

"When I scored, I still expected to be out of the team the next game. On two occasions early last season, against Fulham and Lyon, the fans booed when I was subbed. They thought I was playing well but BenĂ­tez told me he was surprised the fans booed because I was not good enough.

"He tried to destroy my confidence. You can't treat a player like this and expect him to be happy."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jul/11/rafa-benitez-yossi-benayoun-liverpool

And we all know the story of Alonso and Barry

That when I started to really sit up and take notice of Rafa and what he was doing
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9886: Sep 23, 2018 02:08:57 pm
      Im not “from”MK - that’s where I currently live

You have a clear chip on your shoulder about Rafa - clear as day , you apply different sets of criteria to him than you do others to attempt to justify your opinion of him

1. You take the gloss of him winning the CL because he used some players that were already there - yet fail to understand how crucial the players he bought were and how he also improved the players at the club already and it was his tactics that helped win the CL. Yet Kenny won the double with the whole of Joes squad but as you have already said because Kenny played for the club you treat him differently - hypocrite

2. Rafa won two big comps in his time - the biggest of the lot - Klopp so far has won nothing , you think Rafa in the main was a poor manager for us so what do you think of Klopp then

As for my opinion on GH - he did brilliant for a number of years , won the treble and nearly won the league but then tailed off with poor signings and wasted money but will be rightly remembered for that 2001 Treble but Rafas accomplishments in 05 put him above GH

As for Rafa priorities in regards PL and CL - Rafa always put priority in the competition he felt the team was best equipped to win - for a number of the years that was the CL because we didn’t have the strong enough squad to win the PL - Rafa arrived at a time when Chelsea were spending millions each year whilst we didn’t have two pennies to rub together and our money came from loans and player sales. He managed to get a strong 11 that very nearly won the title but ultimately just fell short - that season he didn’t priotise the CL over PL

Xabi - for a about 12-18 months Alonsos form dropped significantly hence why Rafa was loooking to sell him on - yet no one wanted to buy him - he then went and had a great season and left for Real

And as for airing the clubs business - thank god he did - he opened up a few eyes about the two guys that nearly ruined the club - he put the needs of the club and the fans above himself by going public at how they were financially ruined and we were screwed. He didn’t manipulate the fan base - he was on their side against the two crooks.

But then I suspect you get it all from forums and internet as opposed to living and breathing it on then stands home and away

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,484 posts | 3286 
      Reply #9887: Sep 23, 2018 02:14:52 pm

1. I have answered the question in regards my opinion of GH -

2. Your question makes no sense

“What do you tbink or “ ?!! “ and his achievements to Rafa ?’

So if you want to ask me a specific question - try and make it at least make sense
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #9888: Sep 23, 2018 02:19:54 pm
      Walt, It is not Robby Keane, it was the things Babel, Yossi, Riera siad how he treated them

Riera on Rafa
      "He thinks he's in charge and everything else falls on deaf ears. His dialogue with the players is practically nil."

Riera, who is desperate to play in the World Cup this summer, also accused Benitez of giving him the silent treatment.

He added: "When the coach says nothing to you and you are well, with no physical problems and training well, you cannot help but think it must be something personal.

"If I'm doing something badly and you are my boss, and you value me, then you are going to come and tell me what I have to do to play again. This is what hurts me.

"You see that the team are not doing well and there are no changes. It's a little frustrating because you see that you can help."

Ryan Babel on Rafa
      Babel explained: 'I have tried to talk to the manager but it isn't of any use. I couldn't really do anything with the feedback Benitez gave me.

Most damning are the comments made by Yossi Benayoun

Benayoun on Rafa

"Everyone asks me why I left Liverpool," said Benayoun. "There is only one reason – Rafa Benítez."

The midfielder says the Spaniard, who left Liverpool to manage Internazionale, never treated him with respect he felt he deserved.

"If I played well, I never felt he gave me credit," he told the News of the World.

"When I scored, I still expected to be out of the team the next game. On two occasions early last season, against Fulham and Lyon, the fans booed when I was subbed. They thought I was playing well but BenĂ­tez told me he was surprised the fans booed because I was not good enough.

"He tried to destroy my confidence. You can't treat a player like this and expect him to be happy."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jul/11/rafa-benitez-yossi-benayoun-liverpool

And we all know the story of Alonso and Barry

That when I started to really sit up and take notice of Rafa and what he was doing

I can't believe I actually read this.
      The ramblings of a couple of players who wouldn't play to instruction, and an entitled player who couldn't get a game at chelsea and spent his whole career whinging.

Actually quoting a guy who said "He thinks he's in charge" when talking about the manager, who is actually in charge?

What kind of demented fool was Riera to say this?

Those quotes are pretty hilarious for those who remember how F***ing useless those players really were, but still thought they were the equal of Messi.

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9889: Sep 23, 2018 02:47:10 pm
      Sorry did not notice you had answered the question i asked you

So on the basis that we won the Cl under Rafa that was enough for you to put his accomplishments above Houllier's..?
      Lets be clear here
      Rafa won the CL 04/05 the Super Cup /05 and the FA Cup 05/06
      Houllier won The League Cup, FA Cup, UEFA Cup, and the Super Cup all in won season 00/01 followed by a second League Cup  in 02/03  Four thorphies vs two unless you wish to count the FA Charity Shield/FA Community Shield then that is one more each.... Both managers had runner up squad in the Premier League...

Houllier clearly won more thorphies yet you still feel he was the better manager... interesting

As for Rafa priorities in regards PL and CL - Rafa always put priority in the competition he felt the team was best equipped to win -
      And you accuse me of spouting tripe... Please

And how  he treated about Yossi B' and Riera...? Remember all four players were there at the same time...
      So there were clearly man-management issues going on...

And on Alonso, players forms drop from time to time, when a player is playing well you do not let it be known especially as public as Rafa did; that you are chasing down another player as a replacement. Alonso loved the Club and would have stayed had the manager manged things better... You make it sound as if Alonso just decided one day that he just wanted to leave for no reason

Quick Reply