Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread

Read 1102796 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Re: Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread
      Reply #6900: May 09, 2014 03:43:43 pm
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,351 posts | 1629 
      Reply #6901: May 09, 2014 04:26:51 pm
      Still some fcking numpties in here ,now it seems he only wins cup competions, fckin ell thats one hell of a blot on your record ,he must be fcking up real bad to win something at every club   
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #6902: May 09, 2014 05:41:30 pm

“He talks too much,” the Spaniard told reporters on Saturday. “Whereas I like to let facts do the talking. “At Liverpool I knocked his Chelsea out of the Champions League when we had half the money …”

;D. Get the F**k in Rafa.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #6903: May 09, 2014 05:52:27 pm
      'Half the money'

Being waaaaay too kind there Rafa! But I wouldn't expect anything less from you! The faces of the Chelsea manager and players from that glorious night shine clear in the memory!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #6904: May 09, 2014 06:03:29 pm
      'Half the money'

Being waaaaay too kind there Rafa! But I wouldn't expect anything less from you! The faces of the Chelsea manager and players from that glorious night shine clear in the memory!

Not once but twice :)

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #6905: May 09, 2014 06:09:56 pm
      Nice one Rafa.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6906: May 09, 2014 07:22:23 pm
      'Half the money'

can still remember the quote "6 mins where did that come from" what a night cant wait for Brendan to experience that.#
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,351 posts | 1629 
      Reply #6907: May 10, 2014 09:55:45 am
      Oh how quickly some forget the joy of that campaign will live with me till my final days ,he is one of very few managers who have the ability to knock that smug fcking grin off moureen,s chops well done Rafa.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #6908: May 10, 2014 11:35:26 am
      If he goes 6 solid years without winning a league with some of the world's best players available to call upon every week, then questions will, and should be, asked.

But as for the other terms, I'll examine them.

Defensive tactics? No
      Stubbornness? No
      Player/coach fallouts? No
      Boardroom rants? No
      Facts sheets to hand? No
      "I don't want to talk" interviews? No, none of them either.

I think he's doing alright on those terms so far anyway.

No I haven't. I refused to surrender, and haven't regretted it. I'll do it again next year.

City dropped 7 points for us since their derby. It's not their fault if we don't take advantage.

If we miss out out on the league this season it's because we weren't canny or defensive enough when we needed to be - not because we were too attacking.

As for boardroom fallouts - we have completely different owners with a different philosophy and the manager has only been here two seasons so your point is nonsense. Rafa had to sell to buy - luckily Brendan has not had to do that so far.

Suarez is certainly world class - more so than any players Rafa had access to so that point doesnt really fly either.

As for United - fact is, by "giving" them 3 points and depriving ourselves of the league you HAVE surrendered. The point of us playing these games is to win the league. We do that often enough we win more than United. If you can't see that that you're not Liverpool fan you're just an anti-United fan.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6909: May 10, 2014 06:00:58 pm
      Oh how quickly some forget the joy of that campaign will live with me till my final days ,he is one of very few managers who have the ability to knock that smug fcking grin off moureen,s chops well done Rafa.

I think Brendan is about to find out what Rafa found out about Maureen.He can only be your friend until you start beating him then he takes his ball home.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6910: May 11, 2014 08:20:54 am
      There is speculation on BBC Sports that Spurs want RAFA as their next manager, I hope this is not true as he is far too good for them tw*ts.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #6911: May 11, 2014 09:06:53 am
      There is speculation on BBC Sports that Spurs want RAFA as their next manager, I hope this is not true as he is far too good for them tw*ts.

Spare a thought for Heighway to heaven at this tough time
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #6912: May 11, 2014 06:55:47 pm
      He would sort spurs right out. I think he needs one more season at Napoli though before deciding if getting at Juve is too unrealistic
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #6913: May 11, 2014 09:40:22 pm
      Think he will stay at Napoli & swerve the Spuds.

I think he wants to deliver a league or European Trophy to the people of Naples.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #6914: May 11, 2014 09:53:33 pm
      Quote from Hollywood Balls
      If we miss out out on the league this season it's because we weren't canny or defensive enough when we needed to be - not because we were too attacking.

We missed out because we didn't do as well as City over 38 games. Chelsea kept 4 clean sheets here, Arsenal, City, and the mancs. We still did better than them. 

As for boardroom fallouts - we have completely different owners with a different philosophy and the manager has only been here two seasons so your point is nonsense. Rafa had to sell to buy - luckily Brendan has not had to do that so far.

Suarez is certainly world class - more so than any players Rafa had access to so that point doesnt really fly either.

Agree we have different owners and a different philosophy. I won't agree that Brendan has had it easy. The idea that we would not sign players during a transfer window, or wouldn't stump up a few million quid extra to make a signing, or sell a player without replacing him in time would lead to Rafa pop a gasket at anyone with a microphone. And he did. Brendan just got on with the job he was given.

Inside two years, Brendan took on the big clubs with billions available to spend, and was able to mount a title challenge with no budget and defenders that couldn't defend, and he did it in two years, breaking multiple records along the way. No Mascheranos, Arbeloas, Hyppias, Alonsos, Hamanns, or Torres to call upon for him. He fell short by 1 goal and 2 points. Rafa is 20-something points off the pace with multiples of our budget to spend. His solution will be to throw another 20-30 million at the problem. When that doesn't work, he'll look for it again. And when that doesn't work...Eventually Il Presidente will get fed up of it and invest his Euro in someone who will just get on with winning the thing.

As for United - fact is, by "giving" them 3 points and depriving ourselves of the league you HAVE surrendered. The point of us playing these games is to win the league. We do that often enough we win more than United. If you can't see that that you're not Liverpool fan you're just an anti-United fan.

Our standing was decided by our own results, not those of others. If we won at home to Chelsea, we could have won the league. If we won at home to Southampton, we could have won the league. If we won at Hull, we could have won the league. We only needed 3 extra points. What had any of those results got to do with anyone else?

I simply can't stomach shouting for the enemy, that I and every other Kopite is supposed to cheer against every game, and refused to do so. I backed it up by saying that City would drop points afterwards, and so they did. Ultimately we didn't do enough to take advantage of it this year, but there's no reason why we can't next year, while armed with another wad of cash, Rafa is still wondering how to crack the egg.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #6915: May 12, 2014 12:19:10 am
      You're still here?
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #6916: May 12, 2014 03:24:01 pm

I simply can't stomach shouting for the enemy, that I and every other Kopite is supposed to cheer against every game, and refused to do so. I backed it up by saying that City would drop points afterwards, and so they did. Ultimately we didn't do enough to take advantage of it this year, but there's no reason why we can't next year, while armed with another wad of cash, Rafa is still wondering how to crack the egg.

;D.

When you say "we weren't good enough over 38 games" you are using weasel words - we had demonstrably the best attack and the 8th best defence - like i said we didn't lose the title because we weren't "attacking enough". If you had any clue about how to actually win a league you would find countless examples of league champions with Rafa's strategy of being canny, ruthless and hard to beat. You will struggle to find many examples of teams who were able to blow the opponent away by scoring more goals than them whilst being relatively open at the back - unless you'd care to name them?

And, as usual, you fail to get any of the priorities right in your post - a classic sign of someone who doesn't have the first clue about the problem at hand. Attacking football? fantastic. Great media relations? Wonderful. Not falling out with the owners? Commendable - but all secondary to the priority which is winning the league - which as you gleefully point out Rafa did not do here. However, he DID win La Liga, twice, beating Barca and Real and completing a domestic / UEFA cup double - a phenomenal achievement; he has more than proven he knows how to "crack the egg" yet for some bizarre reason you discount it. We came close in 2009 but fell short mainly because injury kept Stevie and Torres from playing many games together. He has had to completely rebuild and reshape the team in Napoli in his first season and has done a good job winning silverware and coming 3rd. The "wad of cash" you are referring to is from selling the league's standout player whilst we kpt Suarez and spent a wad of cash on top.  You probably need reminding where we were at the end of Brendan's first season in charge. Let's see what happens next season - hopefully we will see progression from both managers although I expect you to get your excuses in early if we don't take the final step next time.

It was interesting to observe your silence when Rafa came in halfway through Chelsea's season with the most hostile crowd in world football and finished 3rd with a Europa Cup. Your big hero, Mourinho, spent "a wad of cash" parked the bus, won nothing in Europe and failed to progress in the league from Rafa's performance. No retraction of your views though - perhaps you were asleep all of 2013?

I heard more sense from the 9 year-old who rang Radio 5 at the weekend!
      « Last Edit: May 12, 2014 08:36:58 pm by Hollywood Balls »
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #6917: May 13, 2014 03:19:19 pm
      Quote from Hollywood Balls
      When you say "we weren't good enough over 38 games" you are using weasel words - we had demonstrably the best attack and the 8th best defence - like i said we didn't lose the title because we weren't "attacking enough"......

No I was going by the league table. Your failure to respond to my suggestions why we didn't win the league is, I deem acceptance of the reality that it wasn't from results rival clubs got during the season. 

If you had any clue about how to actually win a league you would find countless examples of league champions with Rafa's strategy of being canny, ruthless and hard to beat.

With Brendan in charge, we were ruthless and hard to beat with 15 wins and 18 results from the second round of games. And that was despite having defenders that couldn't defend properly.

And, as usual, you gleefully point out Rafa did not do here.

I take no glee from it whatsoever. I wanted him to win it, like I wanted every other Liverpool coach to. The fact he couldn't do it in 6 attempts and 230-odd games in charge is not my fault, it does however sadden me. 

He DID win La Liga, twice, beating Barca and Real and completing a domestic / UEFA cup double - a phenomenal achievement; he has more than proven he knows how to "crack the egg" yet for some bizarre reason you discount it.

All admirable, but completely irrelevant to the job asked of him here, which was take a top 4 club to the league championship. His job at Napoli is to take a top 3 club to the league championship. Finishing 20 points behind is not remotely good enough.

We came close in 2009 but fell short mainly because injury kept Stevie and Torres from playing many games together.

He failed because he had us drawing games at home to the likes of Hull, Stoke, Everton, and West Ham, which ultimately destroyed the title bid.

He has had to completely rebuild and reshape the team in Napoli in his first season and has done a good job winning silverware and coming 3rd. You probably need reminding where we were at the end of Brendan's first season in charge.

Napoli were a good side when he arrived there, with European Cup football to offer him. In the league, he has taken them no further forward than when he arrived.

At the start of this season, we were staring into the abyss. But in one year, we've made 5 years of progress, with no transfer budget to speak of. He has to find some way of bridging a 20-point gap. With squad reinforcements, we only have to bridge 2.

It was interesting to observe your silence when Rafa came in halfway through Chelsea's season with the most hostile crowd in world football and finished 3rd with a Europa Cup. Your big hero, Mourinho, spent "a wad of cash" parked the bus, won nothing in Europe and failed to progress in the league from Rafa's performance. No retraction of your views though

As someone who loves checking post histories, you'll know from mine that I was far from silent while Chelsea had him turning a title challenge into a distant third spot, and winning one trophy from 6 available.

Mourinho is not a big hero of mine. He has a consistent record of success though, which I respect, and is respected worldwide. He took Chelsea this year to within 4 points of the league and the European Cup semi final, much closer to the title than last year and a competition they couldn't get out of the group phase from the year before. At Inter, he left Rafa with a squad full of champions. Rafa left them in complete disarray, from which the club has never recovered. 

If anything, I've been more silent about Rafa this year, but there's no retraction or revisionism of my opinion. The best coaches in the world don't go 10 years without any league title on the mantlepiece.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6918: May 13, 2014 07:53:30 pm
      He failed because he had us drawing games at home to the likes of Hull, Stoke, Everton, and West Ham, which ultimately destroyed the title bid.

Prefer a draw to Hull than when we got hammered 3-1 by them this season. You could argue all them results were basically the same as this year. We drew with Everton, West Brom, Palace and Villa. They weren't in home games but they were poor results none the less. Don't see you complaining about that though, too busy trying to slate Rafa instead.

Mourinho is not a big hero of mine. He has a consistent record of success though,

Not so consistent this season though, after spending a shed load of money on Matic, Willian, Schurle and Salah. Blame Rafa all you like for Chelsea's failing this season though, sure you will. Not like Jose spent a load of money like I just stated...
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,198 posts | 1275 
      Reply #6919: May 14, 2014 02:48:26 am
      Let's remember Rafa went to Chelsea and mopped up all the sh*t that had been sharted out of AVB and Di Matteo's arses, along with underperforming players.

In a matter of months he had them back in the top four and won the Europa League. He walked out of the club with his head held high and opposition fans were all saluting him in the face of such cuntish fans.

He set it up perfectly for Mourinho.... who ended the season trophyless.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #6920: May 15, 2014 11:31:10 pm
      Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      Prefer a draw to Hull than when we got hammered 3-1 by them this season. You could argue all them results were basically the same as this year. We drew with Everton, West Brom, Palace and Villa. They weren't in home games but they were poor results none the less. Don't see you complaining about that though, too busy trying to slate Rafa instead

No you won't see me complaining about that  here, as it a) is nothing to do with him and b) the wrong thread. I commented about those results when necessary in the relevant threads, especially Villa, but also Palace too.

Of those results, only Villa was at home. We won 16 and drew 1 game at home. Draws at home under Rafa were a regular occurrence with much better players available. I mentioned 4 games, I could have named many more.

Thankfully we won both the home games I was at when he was here, albeit one of them with a penalty in the last minute, and we have never drawn any home game I've been at over the years.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6921: May 16, 2014 12:11:25 am
      No you won't see me complaining about that  here, as it a) is nothing to do with him and b) the wrong thread. I commented about those results when necessary in the relevant threads, especially Villa, but also Palace too.

Of those results, only Villa was at home. We won 16 and drew 1 game at home. Draws at home under Rafa were a regular occurrence with much better players available. I mentioned 4 games, I could have named many more.

Thankfully we won both the home games I was at when he was here, albeit one of them with a penalty in the last minute, and we have never drawn any home game I've been at over the years.

I'm more interested as to why you quoted me 15 times this morning, deleted every one of them and now just re-done the exact same post...

Doesn't matter if it was a last minute penalty, wins a win and certainly nobody was complaining when we beat Fulham with a penalty at the end of the game this season.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #6922: May 16, 2014 01:03:58 am

If anything, I've been more silent about Rafa this year, but there's no retraction or revisionism of my opinion. The best coaches in the world don't go 10 years without any league title on the mantlepiece.
      Who wins the league in Spain? Barca or Madrid in the last 10 years. How many coaches? WHo won the league in the EPL in te last 10 years? Chelsea, Utd and Man City. How many Coaches. WHo won the league in Italy in the past 10 years? Inter, Milan and Juventus. Of those teams Rafa was only ever at Inter for half a season and left because he wasnt going to enter into another H&G scenario, and at Chelseas for half a season. In both cases he added 1 player to the squad I think. And it wasn't a superstar in either case. Did those teams have the best manager or the most money. It seems to me that the strength of the clubs in each league pretty much determined where the trophies went. I mean they weren't exactly shared around were they.

What your really saying is if Rafa was any good the favourite in each league would hire him to cement hi greatness. Circular logic at best. DO not disappoint me further!

Quick Reply