Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 6th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread

Read 1112988 times
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread
      Reply #9131: May 17, 2016 11:54:06 am
      Surprised Rafa ain't getting both barrels for selling Murphy and replacing him with Alonso, but gets both barrels for selling Alonso for Aquilani ....bizarre indeed...
      Never should have sold Danny Murphy, Even if you felt Alonso was better (I felt Alonso was a better passer of the ball, But Murphy carried more of a goal threat) what was wrong with Danny Murphy as back up?
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9132: May 17, 2016 11:56:17 am
      Surprised Rafa ain't getting both barrels for selling Murphy and replacing him with Alonso, but gets both barrels for selling Alonso for Aquilani ....bizarre indeed...
      Alonso wanted to leave after Rafa openly chasing Barry to replace him
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #9133: May 17, 2016 11:57:45 am
      Never should have sold Danny Murphy, Even if you felt Alonso was better (I felt Alonso was a better passer of the ball, But Murphy carried more of a goal threat) what was wrong with Danny Murphy as back up?

We needed the money to help make the Alonso and Garcia purchases.

Alonso was a far better player than Murphy would ever be and has proven that since.

Alonso just scored better goals ;)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #9134: May 17, 2016 11:59:25 am
      Fact - Parry had been trying to get Owen to sign a new contract throughout the previous 12 months, was blagged off by Owen with plenty of excuses every single time - that was before Rafa even turned up at Anfield!! Real Madrid wanted him a year later on a free contract, Rafa called their bluff got £8million and Nunez.

First time was all on Gerrard - he wanted to leave in Summer of 2004 for Chelsea to win the Premier League, he wasn't sure we were in a position to challenge etc. His dad, agent and missus spoke to him that night and changed his mind (again f**k all to do with Rafa - obviously not being from Merseyside Mick you weren't aware of the gangster sh*te that was pushed by the press as a reason why Gerrard chose to stay with Liverpool - threats etc and of course all bullshit.

Second time was the infamous sorting of his contract (Parry wanting to get away on holiday) Gerrard wanting his contract sorting etc - again Chelsea come calling. The club assures Gerrard that we still want him, Gerrard signs new contract.

That simple really!

Mate on Owen, as I said above I don't think Benitez had any choice. As it happens I'd have sold him myself as well, and I'd have taken 8 million quid for him too.

On Gerrard. I don't think Rafa was forcing him out of the door at all, but I don't think he was exactly breaking his neck to keep him either (much like we saw many years later under a different manager with Luis under FSG). I think the manager was probably stepping back and seeing which way it panned out, but naturally he'd have been giving it some thought as to how he would spend the proceeds should it have come to pass. Imploring players to stay would have been about as far away from a Benitez trait as I could imagine, and my suspicion is that's what Gerrard secretly wanted but was never likely to get. From there he took that as "he doesn't really want me".

I did hear the gangster stories down here but naturally have nothing to base belief or disbelief on (I've no doubt that you guys from the city would know if it was true or not though, so now I know it's bollocks once and for all). Your version appears sensible and believable in terms of Gerrard changing his mind, but I DO think the manager was prepared to let him go if the money was right and the player saw fit. I suppose nearly all managers would take the same line, "if you want to go, then go". We've heard Jürgen say the same thing recently about Lallana/Henderson and I'm sure he'll say the same with Sturridge too.

Shabs, you're just being silly mate so I'll leave it there.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #9135: May 17, 2016 12:01:03 pm

Alonso was a far better player than Murphy would ever be and has proven that since.

On the Danny Murphy question, Alonso was in an absolutely different stratosphere as a footballer so I really don't see how anyone can't say he wasn't an improvement. I liked Danny Murphy, but let's be serious.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #9136: May 17, 2016 12:09:02 pm
      I still have a good old laugh at Owen getting his dream move and missing out on a CL medal. 

Such karma is quite soul cleansing  ;D
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9137: May 17, 2016 12:19:31 pm
      On the Danny Murphy question, Alonso was in an absolutely different stratosphere as a footballer so I really don't see how anyone can't say he wasn't an improvement. I liked Danny Murphy, but let's be serious.
      Not disagreeing with you, just saying what was wrong with Danny Murphy as back up?... But I understand if we needed the money for him
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9138: May 17, 2016 12:19:58 pm

To be fair mate, it was the Owen money that really enabled us to buy Garcia and Alonso, and if that had been a swop deal I don't think many would have complained. I certainly wouldn't. At the time we were skint after buying Cisse and even (supposedly) had to sell Heskey to pay off Houllier.

I think there was a rumour as well that Rafa wanted to break up the "English mafia" at the club too?

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9139: May 17, 2016 12:25:37 pm
      Fact - Parry had been trying to get Owen to sign a new contract throughout the previous 12 months, was blagged off by Owen with plenty of excuses every single time - that was before Rafa even turned up at Anfield!! Real Madrid wanted him a year later on a free contract, Rafa called their bluff got £8million and Nunez.

Didn't Owen agree a two year deal somewhere along the line only to have the offer taken away?

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9140: May 17, 2016 12:29:47 pm
      To be fair mate, it was the Owen money that really enabled us to buy Garcia and Alonso, and if that had been a swop deal I don't think many would have complained. I certainly wouldn't. At the time we were skint after buying Cisse and even (supposedly) had to sell Heskey to pay off Houllier.

I think there was a rumor as well that Rafa wanted to break up the "English mafia" at the club too?
      I remember that and rumors coming out that Gerrard was saying the Rafa was trying to force him out of the club...And btw

Danny Murphy's total career goals 119 all competitions Xabi Alonso 41... So if it was not the case of needing to sell Danny, then it was wrong not to keep him as back up
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,665 posts | 491 
      Reply #9141: May 17, 2016 12:39:53 pm
      I remember that and rumors coming out that Gerrard was saying the Rafa was trying to force him out of the club...And btw

Danny Murphy's total career goals 119 all competitions Xabi Alonso 41... So if it was not the case of needing to sell Danny, then it was wrong not to keep him as back up
      So the arm-chair manager really knows whats going inside the club too?

I mean you keep on saying Rafa should've done this and that. Do you really know what went on behind the scenes? You are saying everything on the basis of rumors FFS.

Comparing Danny Murphy and Xabi Alonso?  :lmao: One of them went on to play for Real Madrid and Bayern Munich, while other played for premiere league mid table fodder. Seriously friend, find some other stick to beat Rafa with, as this is a complete joke.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #9142: May 17, 2016 12:50:47 pm
      Rafa bought Josemi as his first F***ing signing for god sake, I mean come the F**k on people. He still managed to win the champions league.

Dilly ding, dilly dong, the champions league man!

The champions league, come on man!

Far too much arguing in this thread, got a European cup final to look forward to, the first one since this great man took us on that wonderful journey. Let's hope Jürgen can etch his name in the record books in a similar fashion and then we can all agree how great he is too!

Yeah Josemi, would you believe that.  >:D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9143: May 17, 2016 01:02:06 pm
      Yeah Josemi, would you believe that

You mean "the leg?" :)

We have a table we needed a leg ... it was something like that mate.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #9144: May 17, 2016 01:03:25 pm
      You mean "the leg?" :)

We have a table we needed a leg ... it was something like that mate.

The lampshade, yeah, just thought I'd try and lighten the mood. :D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9145: May 17, 2016 01:11:42 pm
      The lampshade, yeah, just thought I'd try and lighten the mood. :D

Nah the lampshade was at Valencia mate.

"He is aggressive and fast and I hope that when he settles down he will bring something to this team.

"He is a very strong and quick attacking player. He can overlap and has almost the same characteristics as Jamie Carragher.

"Josemi perhaps is not a player who is known in England but for me it is important to sign the players that we need to improve the team. I talk about the table. We need a leg, so I have bought a leg.

"I think we will be better because we have more balance in the team now."

I bet Carra was made up with the comparison to Josemi  :lmao:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #9146: May 17, 2016 01:13:25 pm
      Nah the lampshade was at Valencia mate.

"He is aggressive and fast and I hope that when he settles down he will bring something to this team.

"He is a very strong and quick attacking player. He can overlap and has almost the same characteristics as Jamie Carragher.

"Josemi perhaps is not a player who is known in England but for me it is important to sign the players that we need to improve the team. I talk about the table. We need a leg, so I have bought a leg.

"I think we will be better because we have more balance in the team now."

:lmao:

Ah, I've learned something new, he liked to talk about furnishings then! haha, cheers mate.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #9147: May 17, 2016 01:16:33 pm
      Didn't Owen agree a two year deal somewhere along the line only to have the offer taken away?

Not entirely sure, just remember during 2003/04 Parry trying to sort a deal with Owen only to be told his agent was "on sabbatical"
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #9148: May 17, 2016 01:20:42 pm
      Rafa bought Josemi as his first F***ing signing for god sake, I mean come the F**k on people. He still managed to win the champions league.

Yeah Josemi, would you believe that.  >:D

And Djimi Troare, Igor Biscan, Anthony Le Tallec, Sinama Pongolle and Neil Mellor!!

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9149: May 17, 2016 01:29:03 pm

Presumably that's a hotel in Madrid mate :)

Yeah I remember that well.

As I said in the first place, I can understand why he was sold but I do think we could have got a better deal.  Madrid at the time were a c**t of a club. They used the tactic of "paper talking" huge offers until the player was unsettled and the selling club started to dream what they could do with the money... then Madrid would come in with a really low ball figure.     

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #9150: May 17, 2016 01:40:23 pm
      “I knew he had some issues with Rafa and twice it looked like he might leave Liverpool for Chelsea.

“Rafa wanted him to leave – I think he thought he could buy three or four players with the money – but, deep down, Stevie didn’t want to go.”

http://www.givemesport.com/757800-jerzy-dudek-claims-rafael-benitez-wanted-steven-gerrard-to-leave-liverpool
      Whilst on this subject,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/8535368/Real-Madrid-midfielder-Xabi-Alonso-admits-he-left-Liverpool-after-feeling-unwanted-by-Rafael-Benitez.html

Spanish steps: Real Madrid midfielder Xabi Alonso has said he returnmed to his homeland after compatriot Rafael Benítez said he wanted to replace the player with Gareth Barry.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jamie-carragher-failed-convince-rafa-3010286

JAMIE CARRAGHER has revealed how he tried and failed to convince Rafa Benitez to bring Michael Owen back to Liverpool FC in the summer of 2009.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #9151: May 17, 2016 01:45:14 pm
      Whilst we are on the subject....

Steven Gerrard was desperate for Gareth a Barry to join him at Anfield...
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,740 posts | 7174 
      Reply #9152: May 17, 2016 01:46:20 pm
      didn't ended end on a source note with Xabi but when one is faced with responsibility, it's important to assume this position. I needed the money as team manager. You don't get much for selling a bad player," Benitez told Cadena Ser. "He wasn't happy about it. I was clear with him and his representative. Liverpool Football Club put him up for sale (in the summer of 2008). He had just had an excellent season and we sold him for decent money that helped us rebuild the team.

"As I was club manager, in England it's the financial director at the club who finalises the numbers but the coach is the person who knows the player's market value. The Xabi move worked out well for Liverpool and Madrid."
      If you think Klopp would not sell any of his players if he thought he could use the money to improve the squad overall then think again.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9153: May 17, 2016 01:47:10 pm
      Alonso wanted to leave after Rafa openly chasing Barry to replace him

You forget to mention who wanted his bessie mate and international roomie at the club.

Quick Reply