Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread

Read 1096049 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Re: Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread
      Reply #9637: Sep 10, 2017 12:00:26 pm

Always loyal to the cause Rafa, remember him missing his fathers funeral & had to be told to stay from the Emitarets after he hd surgery on his kidney I think.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #9638: Sep 16, 2017 05:43:27 pm
      I really don't think much of this Newcastle side - probably the least capable Newcastle side I've ever seen in the Premier League and yet Rafa's guided them to a very solid start this season. Good win against a stronger Stoke today.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #9639: Sep 17, 2017 12:31:05 pm
      I really don't think much of this Newcastle side - probably the least capable Newcastle side I've ever seen in the Premier League and yet Rafa's guided them to a very solid start this season. Good win against a stronger Stoke today.

The man's a F***ing genius, out of everyone to come and go at the club he is the person I'd most like to return at some point.

People talk about us right now saying that you have to be weaker at the back when you are so devestating in attack.

But look at the team Rafa had, we were twatting people 4 - 0 left right and centre.

But on the flip side when you look back at his team nearly every position had a leader. Someone who would stand up and be counted when the sh*t hit the fan.

Kyut, Maxi, Agger, Reina, Mascherano, Alonso, Torres, Bellamy, Gerrard, Carragher.

The F***ing lot of them were always up for the fight, all leaders in their own right.

We have absolutely none of that right now. We have the biggest bunch of pussies I've ever seen playing in one team
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #9640: Sep 17, 2017 12:35:57 pm

They play Brighton next week which in all probability they will be winning. That means Rafa got 4 wins in a row and 12 pts in 6 games. Given time and support (maybe next year) I am sure Rafa will have Newcastle competing for the Europa places soon. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the backing as always.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9641: Sep 21, 2017 11:43:37 pm
      Well for all the stick he has taken from a certain someone, apparently winning the Championship wasn't good enough for him. Well, his side are currently 4 places above us in the league with a more solid defence and a better goal difference too. Thought a couple of members had gone quiet in here recently.

That said, I do hope they, along with every other team are below us come the end of the season!!!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #9642: Sep 22, 2017 12:12:24 pm
      Why do Rafalites do this? I'm long past caring but do find both them and that space hopper across the water bloke funny.

It's a bit early for Nahnah-nahnah-nahs, we're a couple of games into the season. If Rafa can get Newcastle into the top half it'll be a brilliant effort, anywhere near it would be very good. Even staying up wouldn't be a bad target to aim for, it's been a good start but IMHO it maybe a bit early to get carried away.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #9643: Sep 22, 2017 03:27:54 pm
      Why do Rafalites do this? I'm long past caring but do find both them and that space hopper across the water bloke funny.

It's a bit early for Nahnah-nahnah-nahs, we're a couple of games into the season. If Rafa can get Newcastle into the top half it'll be a brilliant effort, anywhere near it would be very good. Even staying up wouldn't be a bad target to aim for, it's been a good start but IMHO it maybe a bit early to get carried away.

You can only play what's in front of you and for that he's done well.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #9644: Sep 22, 2017 06:12:06 pm
      You can only play what's in front of you and for that he's done well.

No argument mate, but there's a long way to go yet and Newcastle aren't great. Like I say if he can get them into the top dozen he'll be doing well.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #9645: Sep 22, 2017 08:25:59 pm
      Quote from bigmick
      Why do Rafalites do this? I'm long past caring but IMHO it maybe a bit early to get carried away.

You obviously do care, as you're back.

But after 18 long months and a relegation thrown in, a handful of goatee devotees are keen to remind the rest of us, that with the same amount of clean sheets and home wins as us, and despite not facing City Burnley nor Watford yet, he's nudged a point ahead. It may be after just 5 games, but normal service should be resumed very soon.

Meanwhile, as a sign of the times, the trips for us and them keep coming up. We're off to the magnificent lights of Metropolis Moscow, as we begin our European Cup travels. They are off to the bright lights of Brighton, a trip so far it's the nearest they'll get to Europe all season. As a goodwill gesture, we should hand over a giant "Wish You Were There" postcard when we face them the following weekend.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #9646: Sep 22, 2017 08:51:59 pm
      You obviously do care, as you're back.

But after 18 long months and a relegation thrown in, a handful of goatee devotees are keen to remind the rest of us, that with the same amount of clean sheets and home wins as us, and despite not facing City Burnley nor Watford yet, he's nudged a point ahead. It may be after just 5 games, but normal service should be resumed very soon.

Meanwhile, as a sign of the times, the trips for us and them keep coming up. We're off to the magnificent lights of Metropolis Moscow, as we begin our European Cup travels. They are off to the bright lights of Brighton, a trip so far it's the nearest they'll get to Europe all season. As a goodwill gesture, we should hand over a giant "Wish You Were There" postcard when we face them the following weekend.

'Magnificent lights of metropolis Moscow'?

Hey guys, look at Judith f**king Chalmers here!
      « Last Edit: Sep 22, 2017 08:58:54 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9647: Sep 22, 2017 10:54:09 pm

Well don't you worry, the way we are playing at the moment we will only be having trips to Brighton if we don't get our act together.

Not a case of being 'Rafalites', getting carried away or whatever you want to call it. But the fact he has such a poor squad with a sh*t owner and working under difficult circumstances, he has done damn well so far. Which is what I was pointing out. If that makes me a "Rafalite" then so be it because at least his team are showing signs of actually being able to defend unlike our shower of sh*t.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #9648: Sep 22, 2017 11:31:41 pm
      No argument mate, but there's a long way to go yet and Newcastle aren't great. Like I say if he can get them into the top dozen he'll be doing well.

Well to quote an article "he is creating a Magpie masterpiece out of broken crayons".
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #9649: Sep 23, 2017 11:30:19 am
      "Goatee devotees"  :lmao:. The lads clearly bonkers but that's quite good, gotta give him that.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #9650: Sep 24, 2017 06:30:15 pm
      Surprised to see Brighton get the 3 points today.

Good they got the air let out of their tyres before we play them next Sun.

Another game to really look forward to - am sure it'll be hyped in the press after similar matchups in the past produced such good games, this time with the added Benetiz spice.

Rafa's not gonna roll over and have his tummy tickled, but if Mane/Salah/Coutinho all take to the field, reckon we should have enough to get another 3 away points!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #9651: Sep 24, 2017 07:59:24 pm
      Crisis Over:

Liverpool ahead of Newcastle.

Normal service has resumed.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #9652: Sep 24, 2017 10:45:13 pm
      Crisis Over:

Dear lord..opened up such a large 2 point gap.

I guess finishing ahead of Newcastle is your high expectation for this season then.

Just admit it, you find Rafa a threat.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #9653: Sep 24, 2017 11:11:49 pm
      Looks like some people may have to have a reminder who to support next sunday
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #9654: Sep 24, 2017 11:27:43 pm
      Crisis Over:

Dear lord..opened up such a large 2 point gap.

I guess finishing ahead of Newcastle is your high expectation for this season then.

Just admit it, you find Rafa a threat.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #9655: Sep 24, 2017 11:43:52 pm
      Looks like some people may have to have a reminder who to support next sunday

They'll be in a no lose situation.

bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #9656: Sep 30, 2017 02:29:54 pm
      http://www.espn.co.uk/football/liverpool/story/3217056/newcastle-boss-rafa-benitez-open-to-future-return-as-liverpool-manager

Wonder would he really take it if offered. Or if the majority of fans would go for it.

Be nice to see him again on the same park tomorrow...
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #9657: Oct 01, 2017 10:15:41 pm
      Some interesting words from Rafa....

Rafa Benitez: Money makes it tough for Liverpool to rekindle glory days
      http://www.espnfc.us/english-premier-league/story/3218186/rafa-benitez-money-makes-it-tough-for-liverpool-to-rekindle-glory-days

Rafael Benitez has admitted the money flooding into the Premier League is making it more difficult ever year for Liverpool to rekindle the glory days of the 1980s.

Benitez came as close as anyone to returning the club to the game's pinnacle, wining four trophies including the Champions League during his six-year tenure, but he believes present incumbent Jürgen Klopp is being hampered by the spending of his competitors.

The Reds have invested heavily in the likes of Georginio Wijnaldum, Mohamed Salah and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in the last year or so, but their expenditure has been dwarfed by that of Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea.

Benitez said: "When I arrived at Liverpool, the budget was £20million gross. When I left, it was £17 million, but still people said I must win the title, I must compete.

"[Manchester] United had around £50m more every year, but people said I had to compete against them every year. After, there was Chelsea.

"At that time, it was Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United. Now you have Manchester City and Tottenham, as well as PSG and the others. But it's always been similar.

"There are massive clubs with massive amounts of money and Liverpool were always a little bit behind.

Liverpool won the most English league titles in the 1980s.
      "How can you win trophies? You have to create a good team with a great atmosphere and work hard and then you can get there.

"The reality is, the teams that have won the title, probably 90 per cent of the time, are the teams with the most money."

Benitez wrote himself indelibly into Liverpool's history when he guided the club to Champions League glory in 2005 and -- as he prepares to lead current employers Newcastle into battle against them on Sunday -- he admits there was a time when he might have spent the rest of his career on Merseyside.

He said: "In the days when David Moores and Rick Parry were in charge, it was really, really good. They were people who really understood football. They could really understand the fans and the manager and the players.

"Unfortunately, that board didn't have the money to compete against the top sides and he [Moores] had to sell.

"In terms of the way they were running the club, it was like a family, very close. I was quite confident. Then everything changed, they changed directors and owners and ran it more as a business rather than a football club.

"The team was improving but other teams came in with so much money and it was impossible."
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #9658: Oct 01, 2017 11:16:01 pm
      Love this ...

Margaret Aspinall was Rafa's guest of honour today at the match.

YNWA Rafa.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #9659: Oct 02, 2017 04:27:02 am

Quick Reply