Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread

Read 1096045 times
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread
      Reply #9752: May 19, 2018 08:24:17 pm
      Dalglish and Robson were their most successful coaches of the modern era, both earning European Cup spots. Keegan gave them a couple of title races too. Finishing 8th is nowhere by comparison, nor is 10th where they currently are. 

He hasn't won a league in 15 years, working or should I say, trying to work with, some of the best players and clubs on the planet. But if you can't manage to get a league title out of the likes of Ronaldo Ramos, Hazard and Higuain, it will be a bit of a struggle trying to get one out of Jonjo Shelvey anytime soon.

Are you talking about Dalglish at Newcastle..?? (If i have the wrong end of the stick then sorry)

If not, then you're having a laugh...

Keegan had Newcastle in 2nd place two seasons in a row, and jacked it in, Dalglish's season ( In January 1997) in charge; he had them in 14th place when he fu**ed off
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #9753: May 19, 2018 08:36:59 pm
      Dalglish finished second in 1997, which put them in the European Cup the following season.

Quote from Roddenberry
      I'd give you more credit if you told us the real reason you don't like him, rather than your partial truths.

So some of it is true. That's a start.

The man was put in charge here to win the EPL. He didn't do it. He hasn't done it since. He falls out with chairmen, directors, coaching staff, players, the lot, not just here, but practically every club he's ended up at.

I was watching the club documentary on Hyypia today. His last game in 2009 was an emotional occasion and everyone remembers how emotional he got at the end of the game. What they don't remember is that he was dropped to the bench, and had to sit there for 82 minutes. A club legend who hadn't put a foot wrong for this club in 10 years. Gerrard said he couldn't understand it.

Souness gave me a great moment in 1992. Houllier gave me some more in 2001. It doesn't mean I think they were great at their job, nor want them back.
      Kopite78
      Reply #9754: May 19, 2018 08:53:44 pm

Souness gave me a great moment in 1992. Houllier gave me some more in 2001. It doesn't mean I think they were great at their job, nor want them back.

No but you don't spend most of your time slagging them off like a weirdo either
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #9755: May 19, 2018 09:06:03 pm
      No but you don't spend most of your time slagging them off like a weirdo either

Would that be a dig? After you called it 'childish' mere hours ago...

I do agree with it mind you, told you it was fun.

;)
      Kopite78
      Reply #9756: May 19, 2018 09:09:44 pm
      Would that be a dig? After you called it 'childish' mere hours ago...

I do agree with it mind you, told you it was fun.

;)

Completely different (in my opinion)
      For the record I respect you and your views immensely.. I really enjoy reading your posts
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #9757: May 19, 2018 09:13:31 pm
      Completely different (in my opinion)
      For the record I respect you and your views immensely.. I really enjoy reading your posts

:D

Cheers mate, it's all a bit of fun.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #9758: May 19, 2018 09:32:27 pm

In any case, we have a European Cup final next week and a spot in it next year to look forward to. You get absolutely nothing for finishing 10th in the league.

Remind me who last had us in this position? Oh and you know...actually won the thing? Give it a rest you F***ing oddball, you’re actually worse than any manc when it comes to Rafa!
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9759: May 19, 2018 09:48:20 pm
      Dalglish finished second in 1997, which put them in the European Cup the following season.

No mate , Kevin Keegan resigned on the 8th January 1997 they were already in the CL, due to finishing runs up the season before
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #9760: May 19, 2018 10:17:15 pm
      For one night alone the man is a legend and engrained now in our history forever. But we had so many many more great days under Rafa and I will always be eternally grateful for the sheer joy he brought Liverpool fans all over the world

Indeed.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #9761: May 19, 2018 10:59:25 pm
      Quote from The Real Donavan Ried
      No mate , Kevin Keegan resigned on the 8th January 1997 they were already in the CL, due to finishing runs up the season before

No they were not.

The 1997/98 season was the first season English league runners up qualified for the European Cup, via a playoff. Dalglish was in charge there at the time. Robson got them there in 2002.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9762: May 20, 2018 12:31:59 am
      No they were not.

The 1997/98 season was the first season English league runners up qualified for the European Cup, via a playoff. Dalglish was in charge there at the time. Robson got them there in 2002.

Give it a rest. We get the picture that you don’t rate Rafa, trust me, there is really no need to keep banging on about it repeating the same old stuff, especially when in all honesty, nobody could really give a sh*t what you think. You’ve said it so many times, you don’t need to keep reminding us all of your opinion on a quarterly basis.

Like I said, you need to let stuff go and stop being such a childish broken record.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9763: May 20, 2018 01:37:55 am
      No they were not.

Sorry...I stand corrected
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9764: May 20, 2018 01:42:07 am
      Give it a rest. We get the picture that you don’t rate Rafa, trust me, there is really no need to keep banging on about it repeating the same old stuff, especially when in all honesty, nobody could really give a sh*t what you think. You’ve said it so many times, you don’t need to keep reminding us all of your opinion on a quarterly basis.

Like I said, you need to let stuff go and stop being such a childish broken record.
      Hey. He is not alone in not rating Rafa, I don't rate him either, and there are quite a few here who feel the same...
      Thing is I do rate Dalglish's time at Newcastle either, that was my point...
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #9765: May 20, 2018 07:35:16 am
      Hey. He is not alone in not rating Rafa, I don't rate him either, and there are quite a few here who feel the same...

He has talked non stop about it for nearly 10 years. I would wager the majority of his posts are in this very thread.

There is a difference in allowing debate and someone just relentlessly hammering the same point over and over.

No one can post in this thread without him coming in to say he doesn’t rate Rafa, which we all already know.

Imagine you broke up with a girl and then only spoke about her for the next 10 years...that’s what this fella is doing.
      Kopite78
      Reply #9766: May 20, 2018 07:49:00 am

What are your feelings on Rafa?

Someone says.. tell me about Rafa Benitez

Go

I'm bored with mentalist over the water

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #9767: May 20, 2018 09:35:24 am
      if you Judge Rafa by his 6 years and compare the last 8 years then your going to have to be very harsh on Hodgson,Brendan and indeed Jürgen (although its about to change with Jürgen) because they didn't win anything .
      Rafa is the only Liverpool manager to win the European Cup in the last 33 years . yes he's feclin awful.
      I defend any Liverpool manager that has brought success to this club on another forum some idiot insited on calling Kenny "Dogleash" it drove me mad and got banned for my response to him.
      We should always look kindly upon the people who come here and then add a bit more  history to the club.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #9768: May 20, 2018 10:39:08 am

Go

Instanbul 2005

Cardiff 2006

Old Tafford 2009

Earnest, gifted and more than anybody could reasonably expect  from what he had at LFC.

Fantastic human being.

Flawed.

One of us.

That do?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9769: May 20, 2018 11:25:19 am

No one is asking you to rate him, not fussed whether you do or you don’t, same goes for anyone else, we all have opinions. Difference is, you don’t bang on about it constantly.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #9770: May 20, 2018 12:45:05 pm

No, it's just a trait of what bullshitters, con artists, inveiglers do. A tiny morsel of truth to cover up their big, damn lie. Be honest about why you have a vendetta against the man, tell us he shat in your coco pops, bent your favourite wookie or whatever, but stop trying to perpetuate the story only you believe, because you told it to yourself often enough.
      « Last Edit: May 20, 2018 01:02:13 pm by Roddenberry »
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9771: May 20, 2018 01:29:58 pm
      He has talked non stop about it for nearly 10 years. I would wager the majority of his posts are in this very thread.

There is a difference in allowing debate and someone just relentlessly hammering the same point over and over.

No one can post in this thread without him coming in to say he doesn’t rate Rafa, which we all already know.

Imagine you broke up with a girl and then only spoke about her for the next 10 years...that’s what this fella is doing.
      If true, and I have no reason to doubt you, have to agree it is over the top...
      Maybe he feels that no one sees his points, or maybe he feel that Rafa gets too much praise for the little he has done...

Maybe we need a tread where contributors can name the faults they see with past managers, but that would cause to much division here...
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9772: May 20, 2018 02:12:46 pm

Go

What would you like to Hear...? His overly defensive style of football. The Fact that he sets up his teams with his first thoughts not to lose a game than how to win one, his treatment of players, Albert Riera, Ryan Babel,Yossi Benayoun, both on and off field... The Xabi Alonso/Gareth Barry... The fact that he cared more about winning the CL than the Premier League to the detriment of the Premier League title race... His buying Quantity over Quality, and Although not without some merit to his argument, but the way he would go public with his grievances about lack of financial back in the Transfer market in a effort to manipulate the supporters...The fact that it was all down hill trophy wise from the CL despite putting together some great teams... The fact that he rarely took the shackles off the team( In the way he had them play) unless he was desperate. And when he did they seemed unstoppable..

In his favor he did put together some great teams, but due to his negativity they never won the trophies they deserved
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9773: May 20, 2018 03:10:11 pm
      if you Judge Rafa by his 6 years and compare the last 8 years then your going to have to be very harsh on Hodgson,Brendan and indeed Jürgen (although its about to change with Jürgen) because they didn't win anything .
      Rafa is the only Liverpool manager to win the European Cup in the last 33 years . yes he's feclin awful.
      I defend any Liverpool manager that has brought success to this club on another forum some idiot insited on calling Kenny "Dogleash" it drove me mad and got banned for my response to him.
      We should always look kindly upon the people who come here and then add a bit more  history to the club.

Walt, like this post seems well balanced and thouthtout
      Kopite78
      Reply #9774: May 20, 2018 03:22:30 pm
      Walt, like this post seems well balanced and thouthtout

What would you like to Hear...? His overly defensive style of football. The Fact that he sets up his teams with his first thoughts not to lose a game than how to win one, his treatment of players, Albert Riera, Ryan Babel,Yossi Benayoun, both on and off field... The Xabi Alonso/Gareth Barry... The fact that he cared more about winning the CL than the Premier League to the detriment of the Premier League title race... His buying Quantity over Quality, and Although not without some merit to his argument, but the way he would go public with his grievances about lack of financial back in the Transfer market in a effort to manipulate the supporters...The fact that it was all down hill trophy wise from the CL despite putting together some great teams... The fact that he rarely took the shackles off the team( In the way he had them play) unless he was desperate. And when he did they seemed unstoppable..

In his favor he did put together some great teams, but due to his negativity they never won the trophies they deserved

Unlike this one 😂

Quick Reply