Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread

Read 1096179 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Re: Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread
      Reply #9913: Sep 24, 2018 01:01:52 am
      You do realize how hard it is to win a treble...? You have to win all the games in three different competitions, which is ultimately harder than winning the champions League yet you still rate Rafa over Houllier for that...??  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      I remember saying somewhere on another forum three years before he was sacked that Liverpool FC will never win the Premier League Title Under Rafa Benitez...

He was made manager for the club to  win the Premier League, or at least to try and win it. He had more chance of winning the title had he tried; than winning another Champions League. The fact that he did not go all out to win it is unforgivable in my eyes and yet you, this time i mean You are ok with that..?
      He fielded weaken side  choosing to priorities on the CL matches days later, and robbed us or the chance to win the title in 2008/09  and yet you still defend him..?

The money wasted on sides that were built not to challenge for the Premier League Title and yet you still defend him..?

The guy was and still is all about making himself look good, it was never about Liverpool, else why take the job at Chelsea...??

Dude, We ain’t won the league since Dalglish & We ain’t won a trophy since Dalglish was sacked..

Souness, Evans, Houllier all failed to win the PL before Rafa, so why single out Rafa?.

Do you beilive the remit of all the other managers appointed before Rafa was to qualify for 4th & win Cups but not the league?.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #9914: Sep 24, 2018 01:33:35 am
      Dalglish, Rodgers, and Klopp had different targets here. "Just make top 4" is all that was asked of them. Rafa already had it when he arrived, so the next step was for him to build on it and win the league.

Moving goalposts to suit your argument!!

He would never have played for the mancs if we had signed him when he was available for free, Carra asked Rafa to sign him. But we had Rafa in charge, so we didn't sign him and off he went to the mancs. We finished 7th the following season and Rafa was therefore let go.

More bullshit, he fu**ed Owen the wool off and brought a proper scouser in Fowler back!!

Maybe if Owen hadn't have been such a shithouse when he left Madrid for Newcastle and listened to Rafa, he could of ended up back at Anfield, but Owen saw his arse, worried about his England place and signed for Newcastle. Again another good decision by Rafa not getting ripped off by Madrid for ÂŁ16 million, especially when we sold him to Madrid for only ÂŁ8 million.

You're just like Trump - one absolute bad liar!!

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #9915: Sep 24, 2018 01:40:57 am
      Owen was not always going that summer, he had a contract to play for us. There were no bids made or considered for him, until Rafa took one look at him and stuck him on the transfer list. He didn't try to persuade him, he was happy to let him go.

Owen was already a gonna and guess what it is absolutely nothing to do with Rafa!! Rafa was told by Rick Parry Owen had already made up his mind he was leaving Liverpool. He had one year left on his contract, hence the paltry ÂŁ8 million we got for him. Madrid had already been in contact with him long before Rafa pitched up, hence why every time Ricky Parry was trying to get Owen to sign an extension to his contract 12 months previously when Houllier was in charge, Parry was constantly told by Owen that he couldn't sign the contract as his agent was "on sabbatical"

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #9916: Sep 24, 2018 01:41:57 am
      You do realize how hard it is to win a treble...?

Yeah because we've won two trebles!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #9917: Sep 24, 2018 01:44:00 am
      You have to win all the games in three different competitions, which is ultimately harder than winning the champions League yet you still rate Rafa over Houllier for that...??  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I rate Rafa over Houllier simply because Rafa had Houllier's number every time his team played Houllier's team.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9918: Sep 24, 2018 01:50:47 am
      Do you beilive the remit of all the other managers appointed before Rafa was to qualify for 4th & win Cups but not the league?.
      Shabs could you clairify this please
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #9919: Sep 24, 2018 08:43:30 am
      It would not have mattered 1 iota who was manager when Owen decided to run his contract down.Owen run it down after promising the fans for nearly a whole season that he would sign a new contract when he never had any intention of signing.Owen turned the fans against himself and the finger cannot be pointed at Rafa for that.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #9920: Sep 24, 2018 10:26:31 am
      Bloody hell two of them now.  I didn't think it was contageous.  Just keep taking the pills both of you. 
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #9921: Sep 24, 2018 03:37:13 pm
      He is 15 years without a major league championship.
      He is 14 years without a European Cup.
      He has a history of repeated bust ups with players, owners, backroom staff, and boards.
      He has also been relegated at 2 clubs.

That is also on his CV. Or do you just pick the nice bits?

Dalglish, Rodgers, and Klopp had different targets here. "Just make top 4" is all that was asked of them. Rafa already had it when he arrived, so the next step was for him to build on it and win the league.

Owen was not always going that summer, he had a contract to play for us. There were no bids made or considered for him, until Rafa took one look at him and stuck him on the transfer list. He didn't try to persuade him, he was happy to let him go.

He would never have played for the mancs if we had signed him when he was available for free, Carra asked Rafa to sign him. But we had Rafa in charge, so we didn't sign him and off he went to the mancs. We finished 7th the following season and Rafa was therefore let go.

Sorry but you are wrong about Owen - very wrong , Rafa didn’t stick him on the transfer list as soon as he got there - Rafa went to see Gerrard and Owen during the summer after taking over to tell them what he planned for the future and Owen told he wanted to move on - stop changing history.

When Rafa arrived the team scraped into the top 4 - it wasn’t a great squad hence why GH got sacked. To say Klopp etc had different targets again it false.

And so what if Carra wanted to sign him on a free - that doesn’t mean Rafa should just go ahead and do it. And you only have to watch the interview he gave - refusing to play in fear of getting injured - only looking after himself and his England career .

You may not like Rafa but don’t make stuff up which is clearly not true and even more so pointing the finger at Rafa in regards Micheal Owen - history shows the club was right not to resign him from Madrid ( for twice the fee ) and also then for a free after an injury ridden spell at Newcastle
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #9922: Sep 24, 2018 03:40:52 pm
      You do realize how hard it is to win a treble...? You have to win all the games in three different competitions, which is ultimately harder than winning the champions League yet you still rate Rafa over Houllier for that...??  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I know exactly how hard but it’s still the CL - the biggest Comp in club football - too right I rate it over what GH did . Ask any player what they would prefer - the CL or the three cup comps - answer would be the CL

I remember saying somewhere on another forum three years before he was sacked that Liverpool FC will never win the Premier League Title Under Rafa Benitez...

He was made manager for the club to  win the Premier League, or at least to try and win it. He had more chance of winning the title had he tried; than winning another Champions League. The fact that he did not go all out to win it is unforgivable in my eyes and yet you, this time i mean You are ok with that..?
      He fielded weaken side  choosing to priorities on the CL matches days later, and robbed us or the chance to win the title in 2008/09  and yet you still defend him..?

Sorry but that’s factually incorrect - he didn’t play weakened teams in the league in 08/09 - May have done in 05 and 07 when we had no chance to win the league

The money wasted on sides that were built not to challenge for the Premier League Title and yet you still defend him..?

The guy was and still is all about making himself look good, it was never about Liverpool, else why take the job at Chelsea...??

Why shouldn’t he take the Chelsea job ?
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9923: Sep 24, 2018 04:07:16 pm
      I know exactly how hard but it’s still the CL - the biggest Comp in club football - too right I rate it over what GH did . Ask any player what they would prefer - the CL or the three cup comps - answer would be the CL

They would say the CL if asked that question, But ask them if they would prefer the CL or A treble of Cup in the same year you would get a different answer

Sorry but that’s factually incorrect - he didn’t play weakened teams in the league in 08/09 - May have done in 05 and 07 when we had no chance to win the league

The nil -nil against Villa

Why shouldn’t he take the Chelsea job ?

Even after him saying this...

"Chelsea is a big club with fantastic players, every manager wants to coach a such a big team," Benitez said in 2007. "But I would never take that job, in respect for my former team at Liverpool, no matter what. For me there is only one club in England, and that's Liverpool."

Then people moan about Micheal Owen going to Man Utd  :roll:
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #9924: Sep 24, 2018 04:23:17 pm

Do you believe previous manager employed were done so on the basis of qualifying for the CL and win Cups...?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #9925: Sep 24, 2018 05:20:42 pm
      Now after being sacked by Liverpool he isn't allowed to got Chelsea. OWEN fu**ed us over and left us without a striker until  January.
      Do we really have to go through this sh*t its not right to consistently attack the man after all he did for us.
      His win record is better than Houliers, Rodgers and so far Jurgens so instead of attacking his record we are told he was unkind to a few players and wouldn't tell them well done and pat them on the head.
      I am more than convinced any true Liverpool supporter would not behave in this way and if they had some issues they would keep them to themselves so as to not take anything away from the many many wonderful nights at Anfield he gave us
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #9926: Sep 24, 2018 05:21:15 pm

They would say the CL if asked that question, But ask them if they would prefer the CL or A treble of Cup in the same year you would get a different answer

No they wouldn’t - even Gerrard said himself the CL medal he got is his highest accolade

The nil -nil against Villa

That was in September  :lmao: - are you serious ? We had Gerrard out injured plus Torres went off

This was the team -

Pepe Reina, Alvaro Arbeloa, Jamie Carragher, Martin Skrtel, Andrea Dossena, Dirk Kuyt, Xabi Alonso, Javier Mascherano, Leiva Lucas, Robbie Keane, Fernando Torres. Subs: Diego Cavalieri, Daniel Agger, Fabio Aurelio, Yossi Benayoun, Ryan Babel, David Ngog, El Zhar.

Even after him saying this...

"Chelsea is a big club with fantastic players, every manager wants to coach a such a big team," Benitez said in 2007. "But I would never take that job, in respect for my former team at Liverpool, no matter what. For me there is only one club in England, and that's Liverpool."

Then people moan about Micheal Owen going to Man Utd  :roll:

Rafa got offered a job and took and showed his credentials by winning another European Trophy - Rafa didn’t grow up through the club like Owen
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #9927: Sep 24, 2018 06:15:56 pm
      No they wouldn’t - even Gerrard said himself the CL medal he got is his highest accolade
      That was in September  :lmao: - are you serious ? We had Gerrard out injured plus Torres went off

This was the team -

Pepe Reina, Alvaro Arbeloa, Jamie Carragher, Martin Skrtel, Andrea Dossena, Dirk Kuyt, Xabi Alonso, Javier Mascherano, Leiva Lucas, Robbie Keane, Fernando Torres. Subs: Diego Cavalieri, Daniel Agger, Fabio Aurelio, Yossi Benayoun, Ryan Babel, David Ngog, El Zhar.

Rafa got offered a job and took and showed his credentials by winning another European Trophy - Rafa didn’t grow up through the club like Owen

Babel and Benayoun being on the bench just shows how badly Rafa mistreated them ;)
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9928: Sep 24, 2018 06:19:49 pm
      Do you believe previous manager employed were done so on the basis of qualifying for the CL and win Cups...?
      Yes, I believe so, but what I do not believe was they would just try and target competitions they thought over the detriment of others... Look Shabs, I am originally from Reading and in 2007 Liverpool lost 3-1  fielding a weaken side because we had to face three days later, leaving us 7 points off the lead (Arsenal) with a game in hand... Again we fielded a weaken side in the League Cup against Barnsley with a CL Match 3 days later and when out, Birmingham 2-2 draw another weaken team played and lost to Chelsea in the second leg of the CL, Guess CL trumps everything 
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9929: Sep 24, 2018 06:21:01 pm
      Now after being sacked by Liverpool he isn't allowed to got Chelsea. OWEN fu**ed us over and left us without a striker until  January.
      Do we really have to go through this sh*t its not right to consistently attack the man after all he did for us.
      His win record is better than Houliers, Rodgers and so far Jurgens so instead of attacking his record we are told he was unkind to a few players and wouldn't tell them well done and pat them on the head.
      I am more than convinced any true Liverpool supporter would not behave in this way and if they had some issues they would keep them to themselves so as to not take anything away from the many many wonderful nights at Anfield he gave us

" Benitez said in 2007. "But I would never take that job, in respect for my former team at Liverpool, no matter what."

Go where he wants but don't lie about what he will do...
      Owen who sold him...
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9930: Sep 24, 2018 06:25:59 pm
      Said that but he wanted the premier League Title more than anything, thought you knew that...??
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9931: Sep 24, 2018 06:28:33 pm
      Please...."no matter what."
      You are trying to defend the indefensible
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #9932: Sep 24, 2018 06:36:28 pm
      How can anyone feel good about a manager that “tries” only to win competitions he feels the club have a chance at winning…

And what does that say about how he views the club...??

If you buy into his B.S. (and it looks like you do) then winning the CL is easier than winning the Premier league even thought as a team you face the best in Europa and even thought you have some tricky games in the Premier League they can be just as tricky in the CL, but with better quality players… But you’re OK with that

People make excuses for Rafa’s treatment of players Babel, Riera, Benayoun, saying that they were average players as if that excuses it,, and If he was such a great managers as they claim, with the ability to get the best out of players and make them into great players why then did he simple not do it with these players…?

People get upset because Riera dared to claim “we (LFC) are a sinking ship”
      Was he not proven right? From second place 2008/09 to 7th place 2009/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlLzQGMVV4M

Benayoun
      A wonderful player and far from average

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULnrI1OtXlo

And who scored the winner at the BernabĂŠu in the 1-0 victory over Real Madrid which set up that famous 4-0 victory at Anfield..? Yes Yossi Benayoun

As a supporter of any team your dream is that they try and win there games in “All” competition, ok realistically some team are just trying to stay in the Premier League, but the will still give there all in a Cup game fielding their strongest side available…

Ask the top six clubs supporters if they want their teams to be just choosing the competition they think they can win, and they wil ask you if you are Mad…

Man City were talking about a quadruple last season, since we last won the title Man Utd have won it 13 times to overtake us as the top club in England, but that is OK with you because Rafa won the CL

What have supporters of these top six clubs go in common..? They want to see the Club battling on all fronts yet it was ok for Rafa to be talking about competitions he felt the club could win...

Ask the Leicester City fans if they would choose the CL over the Premier League…

You talk about the History of the Club, but History is being written everyday and we have become a footnote

The Premier league started in the 1992/93 season and teams like Blackburn and Leicester have won it more than us, but hey we have won a Champions league

I believe that most Liverpool fans value the Premier League Title over and other Competition, and you big-up a manager who thought it was not a realistic target to go for...

Still can’t believe that. And I don’t believe that Steven Gerrard was happy with that either…
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #9933: Sep 24, 2018 06:37:08 pm
      " Benitez said in 2007. "But I would never take that job, in respect for my former team at Liverpool, no matter what."

Go where he wants but don't lie about what he will do...
      Owen who sold him...

you cant even get the date right and you use quotation marks. In 2007 how could Liverpool be his "former team" I am confused.
      2007 we went to the CL final in Athens
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #9934: Sep 24, 2018 06:47:39 pm
      Please...."no matter what."
      You are trying to defend the indefensible

Yep you clearly don’t have a grudge

You keep trying to drag up dirt and it keeps being thrown back at you

You can have the last word if you wish but it’s safe to say you are in a very small minority who see Rafa as anything another than a great manager for us and will be remembered alongside the other winning CL managers
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #9935: Sep 24, 2018 07:29:05 pm
      Ask the Leicester City fans if they would choose the CL over the Premier League…

Reading through this and all your posts in this thread you're coming across like a F***ing embarrassment

Quick Reply