Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread

Read 1096238 times
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Re: Rafael Benitez Discussion Thread
      Reply #10097: Jan 30, 2019 09:39:15 am

Internet is gold.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #10098: Jan 30, 2019 10:04:05 am
      Brilliant win for Newcastle against City, well done Rafa !
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #10099: Jan 30, 2019 10:24:25 am
      Should never have doubted it was a possible result, the man had a winning team against arguably the best team around at the time - AC Milan...and he was playing Djimi Traore.

Beating arguably the best team the Premier League has ever had should be a walk in the park for him.

IRWT
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #10100: Jan 30, 2019 12:47:43 pm
      Should never have doubted it was a possible result, the man had a winning team against arguably the best team around at the time - AC Milan...and he was playing Djimi Traore.

Beating arguably the best team the Premier League has ever had should be a walk in the park for him.

IRWT

That Milan team... some people often forget just how good they were! Basically the whole XI was composed of legends, players that were some of the biggest names of their generations. Cafu and Maldini at fullback - I mean, one is just the player with most caps for the Brazilian national team of all time and the only to have played 3 World Cup finals in a row; the other has won 5 Champions League titles over 3 decades, being a starter in all of the five finals. Dida was one of the best keepers at the time, and would go on to have a brilliant World Cup one year later. Gattuso and Pirlo were the muscle and brain of Milan and the Italian team that were world champions also one year later. Nesta is for me one of the finest defenders of his generation, with a career sadly blighted by injuries. Jaap Stam was also a top defender on his day. Clarence Seedorf was one of the most incredible midfielders of his generation, and the only player in history to have won the Champions League with three different clubs. In front of him he had Kaká, who only two years later would be crowned as the world's best player. Upfront they had a great finisher in Hernán Crespo and one of the biggest stars in European football, Andriy Shevchenko, at the time the third best player in the world according to FIFA.

I know this is a long, off-topic rant but it's just that it never ceases to amaze me how we've beaten all those legends above with Jerzy Dudek, Steve Finnan, Djimi Traoré, Vladimir Smicer, Harry Kewell, Luis Garcia - some of whom were good players (others not so much), but still far behind the level of that incredible squad Milan had. 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #10101: Jan 30, 2019 12:49:05 pm
      Loving all the Rafa praise, one of my all time fave LFC managers, but I assume he tries to win every game and he didn't actually 'try harder' last night. ;)

Worth directing some praise at Rondon and Matt Ritchie (who I generally think is sh*te) but dealt with Ederson's time-wasting ahead of the pen.

Well done all the Toon! (Expect Mike Ashley obviously).
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #10102: Jan 30, 2019 12:55:30 pm
      Rafa has probably just put another £10 mil or so in Ashley's pocket after last night.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #10103: Jan 30, 2019 12:57:50 pm
      Prem looking good, on ya Rafa.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,293 posts | 177 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #10104: Jan 30, 2019 03:00:05 pm
      I just knew this would happen somehow . It simply makes too much sense that we would get a little help  (and a sexy wink) on our title race from Rafa.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #10105: Jan 30, 2019 03:02:45 pm
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 807 posts | 112 
      Reply #10106: Jan 30, 2019 03:54:56 pm
      That Milan team... some people often forget just how good they were! Basically the whole XI was composed of legends, players that were some of the biggest names of their generations. Cafu and Maldini at fullback - I mean, one is just the player with most caps for the Brazilian national team of all time and the only to have played 3 World Cup finals in a row; the other has won 5 Champions League titles over 3 decades, being a starter in all of the five finals. Dida was one of the best keepers at the time, and would go on to have a brilliant World Cup one year later. Gattuso and Pirlo were the muscle and brain of Milan and the Italian team that were world champions also one year later. Nesta is for me one of the finest defenders of his generation, with a career sadly blighted by injuries. Jaap Stam was also a top defender on his day. Clarence Seedorf was one of the most incredible midfielders of his generation, and the only player in history to have won the Champions League with three different clubs. In front of him he had Kaká, who only two years later would be crowned as the world's best player. Upfront they had a great finisher in Hernán Crespo and one of the biggest stars in European football, Andriy Shevchenko, at the time the third best player in the world according to FIFA.

I know this is a long, off-topic rant but it's just that it never ceases to amaze me how we've beaten all those legends above with Jerzy Dudek, Steve Finnan, Djimi Traoré, Vladimir Smicer, Harry Kewell, Luis Garcia - some of whom were good players (others not so much), but still far behind the level of that incredible squad Milan had. 

wow had no clue Maldini have 5 CL medals. That is some feat for the man.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #10107: Jan 30, 2019 04:00:48 pm
      I am sad he was @LFC at a time when he couldn't spend what Jürgen was able to spend, nor did he have the ambitious owners of today back then. His team needed just one more class player and would've won the domestic title as well. Those US owners (Hicks, Gillett) screwed us and him. Thank God he won us the CL and is immortalized in LFC history. Long live Rafa Benitez.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #10108: Jan 30, 2019 05:49:23 pm

geography all wrong mate Wollybacks don't come from the Wirral
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #10109: Jan 30, 2019 10:46:29 pm
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #10110: Jan 31, 2019 10:00:47 am
      wow had no clue Maldini have 5 CL medals. That is some feat for the man.

He does, and as I said, he won them in three different decades, ALL of them as a starter. The first, in 1988-89, when he was 20; the last, in 2006-07, when he was 38.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #10111: Jan 31, 2019 12:42:27 pm
      geography all wrong mate Wollybacks don't come from the Wirral

They do, the whole place is infested with inbred tw*ts :laugh:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #10112: Mar 09, 2019 05:32:37 pm
      Another awesome job done today by Rafa. If you can't respect the job he is doing there then you're probably a millstone on humanity. A fantastic human being all round is Rafa!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #10113: Mar 09, 2019 06:13:00 pm
      Rafa lad!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #10114: Mar 09, 2019 07:30:05 pm
      Brilliant comeback, well done Rafa !
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #10115: Jun 15, 2019 11:47:13 am
      See Newcastle going nowhere with talk of the deal stalling. As an appreciating asset costing Ashley nothing why should he sell?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #10116: Jun 16, 2019 10:34:46 pm
      Rafa was appointed Liverpool manager on this day 15 years ago! F**k me, 15 years ago already!

RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #10117: Jun 18, 2019 07:33:36 am
      Rafa was appointed Liverpool manager on this day 15 years ago! F**k me, 15 years ago already!

Jesus that’s made me question where all the times gone, I was 11!!!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #10118: Jun 18, 2019 09:06:58 am
      Jesus that’s made me question where all the times gone, I was 11!!!
      Its scary mate and when you get older it gets quicker and scarier each year. We were all so much younger back in 2005.
      He still lives in Caldy his wife does a lot of Charity work in the area he can be seen walking his Dog when he is about always has time for a quick hello just a cracking bloke who brought us Number 5.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #10119: Jun 18, 2019 11:27:10 am

Love the man and what he did for LFC.

Quick Reply