Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Coincidence? I think not

Read 2542 times
      woodsie2b
      • Forum Matt Busby
      • Started Topic

• 135 posts | 11 
      Coincidence? I think not
      Jun 19, 2007 11:40:47 am
      Now that la liga is finished its a bit funny how gillet comes out saying we are entering phase 2 of our rebuilding process, to me that was a clear sign the players we are looking to purchase are all from la liga! but with all the promises of players can we really bring in the big fish been linked with us ya know the likes of eto, villa, alves or is it going to be their understudy's the ones I ain't even heard of but are quoted as being worth 10 mil
      time will tell but we do defo need a striker come on gillett/hicks bring us eto!
      « Last Edit: Jun 20, 2007 08:59:37 pm by Jabba, Reason: Title spelt correctly! »
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Re: coincideance? I think not
      Reply #1: Jun 19, 2007 12:20:07 pm
      I am worried about the record of how well la liga players adapt to the prem but I believe in rafa
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #2: Jun 20, 2007 07:39:04 pm
      The main issues at hand for the new owners have been the contracts of current players, tying them down! Now this has been sorted, and the new stadium has been shown to the council, they can concentrate on new signings.

I think that if Rafa see's a player who he thinks can adapt to our style of play and the pace of English footy, then he'll bring them in! He's not going to pick sh*te, as he has shown with Alonso! People will obviously point at Gonzalez, but with increased funds, he won't have to settle for the bargain bin, make-shift squad players.
      vydex
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | -5 
      Reply #3: Jun 20, 2007 08:55:05 pm
      People will obviously point at Gonzalez
      umm and Morientes, umm and Paletta, umm and Zendan (although he did try very hard) umm and Nunez. I will be honest with you and will probably get slated for this Rafa has only ever made two really good signings thats xabi and pepe. Albeit I love Luis Garcia but he loses the ball too easy and can be very frustrating and inconsistant. I will probably get slated for this too but Rafa needs to look away from spain we need to have more consistancy up front and we all know it. From what I see of Spainish strikers they are just not upto the task in the EPL Villa is a good player but not physical enough, Torres (why the F**k everyone is so hung up on this boy I dont know) still a boy very much a boy and another Morinentes in the making if he comes here I tell you. Alves well he is winger/wing back and to be honest from what I saw off him in la liga last season there is no way he is worth what they want for him and he wears snorkel and flippers and that is a fact.
      IMHO Rafa should look more at creating a good consistant striking partnership upfront with what we have now instead of rotating that part every match. Rotation can be got away with in the midfield and defence and can provide good results in those areas, but up front you need a partnership that is as consistant as matches will allow. Last season proved this with lack of sharpness to strikers and not allowing a partnership to unfold and create and gel with a little more time and few more matches.
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Re: Coincidence? I think not
      Reply #4: Jun 20, 2007 09:00:39 pm
      I am worried about the record of how well la liga players adapt to the prem but I believe in rafa

Alonso, Reina, Garcia.  ::)
      hound
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 336 posts | -2 
      Reply #5: Jun 20, 2007 10:41:46 pm
      vydex i think your being pretty F***ing harsh, sure yes rafa has signed laliga players who were not A listers but that is the market he had to shop in because he didn't have the money to pay 15m+ for the safe buys, he had to take a gamble. now its a discrace that lfc had to shop around for average players but that is the previous boards issue with regards to not making the club more marketable around the world. your beef lies with the old board pal.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #6: Jun 21, 2007 10:18:47 am
      umm and Morientes, umm and Paletta, umm and Zendan (although he did try very hard) umm and Nunez. I will be honest with you and will probably get slated for this Rafa has only ever made two really good signings thats xabi and pepe. Albeit I love Luis Garcia but he loses the ball too easy and can be very frustrating and inconsistant. I will probably get slated for this too but Rafa needs to look away from spain we need to have more consistancy up front and we all know it. From what I see of Spainish strikers they are just not upto the task in the EPL Villa is a good player but not physical enough, Torres (why the fu*k everyone is so hung up on this boy I dont know) still a boy very much a boy and another Morinentes in the making if he comes here I tell you. Alves well he is winger/wing back and to be honest from what I saw off him in la liga last season there is no way he is worth what they want for him and he wears snorkel and flippers and that is a fact.
      IMHO Rafa should look more at creating a good consistant striking partnership upfront with what we have now instead of rotating that part every match. Rotation can be got away with in the midfield and defence and can provide good results in those areas, but up front you need a partnership that is as consistant as matches will allow. Last season proved this with lack of sharpness to strikers and not allowing a partnership to unfold and create and gel with a little more time and few more matches.

Of course theres the other players! What I meant to say was the likes of Gonzalez, so I offer my apologies for that!

You mention Zenden, but he was transferred from Middlesborough if you remember rightly so he isn't in the La Liga box we speak of! True, he played for Barca at some point but most of his career was in England!

In the case of Garcia, he doesn't get the opportunity to play in the hole which IMO is his best position so we can't really slate him for his performances.

Morientes wouldn't really be seen as a bargain bin buy either, as you probably would have noticed, the man is indeed a legend and a winner at that! From the form he displayed for Monaco (especially against the Chavs) before his move, I think any team would have been in for him. It was an unfortunate he didn't live up to his hype and I'm happy to see him scoring frequently now for Valencia.
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #7: Jun 21, 2007 10:49:57 am
      umm and Morientes, umm and Paletta, umm and Zendan (although he did try very hard) umm and Nunez. I will be honest with you and will probably get slated for this Rafa has only ever made two really good signings thats xabi and pepe. Albeit I love Luis Garcia but he loses the ball too easy and can be very frustrating and inconsistant. I will probably get slated for this too but Rafa needs to look away from spain we need to have more consistancy up front and we all know it. From what I see of Spainish strikers they are just not upto the task in the EPL Villa is a good player but not physical enough, Torres (why the fu*k everyone is so hung up on this boy I dont know) still a boy very much a boy and another Morinentes in the making if he comes here I tell you. Alves well he is winger/wing back and to be honest from what I saw off him in la liga last season there is no way he is worth what they want for him and he wears snorkel and flippers and that is a fact.
      I don't think it's fair to say that rafa's only made 2 good signings what about Daniel agger I think he's a great buy who's got a great future ahead of him at liverpool also sissoko a great player with bags of potential still only 22 , mascherano and insua looks OK too.as for garcia losing the ball too much all flair players lose the ball now and than when you try to creative you have to gamble and somtimes it doesn't pay off but when it does (garicas goal against juventus) everyones happy.
      « Last Edit: Jun 21, 2007 10:53:27 am by camara14 »
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #8: Jun 21, 2007 11:47:44 am
      I don't think it's fair to say that rafa's only made 2 good signings what about Daniel agger I think he's a great buy who's got a great future ahead of him at liverpool also sissoko a great player with bags of potential still only 22 , mascherano and insua looks OK too.as for garcia losing the ball too much all flair players lose the ball now and than when you try to creative you have to gamble and somtimes it doesn't pay off but when it does (garicas goal against juventus) everyones happy.

Very good point Camara, Agger is one of the best signings out of all the Prem teams in the last few seasons, never mind just Liverpool. Mascherano will be influential next season and Sissoko will be back on form!
      vydex
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | -5 
      Reply #9: Jun 21, 2007 07:29:05 pm
      ok so I stand corrected sorry 3 good signings, As I totally agree Dani Agger is the dogs bollox quite frankly and yes you are right to point it out, however I still stick by what I said regarding rotation up front and the fact that we should look elsewhere besides Spain if we ever do sign another striker. And to be honest with you I have a feeling all our transfers are now done sorry for being pessimistic but I have a feeling that is gonna be the case.
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #10: Jun 21, 2007 08:17:29 pm
      Rafa has made some bad signings...and I do not need to list them, as you know who they are...but here are all the current good signings:

Reina, Alonso, Sissoko, Pennant, Kuyt, Crouch, Agger, Mascherano

Next season we could well add to that:

Leto, Lucas, Aurelio

that's 11 players...that's a whole team of quality...and he's not even spent a huge amount to do it.

Add Torres, Manchini and Alves...and you've got the Prem Champions!
      lfcwill
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts |
      Reply #11: Jun 21, 2007 08:26:05 pm
      paletta came from banfield in argentina i think
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #12: Jun 25, 2007 11:52:56 pm
      Lets not mention Padelli aswell , doubt well ever see him again ;D. But in all seriousness Rafa didnt have the funds required and many of his buys have been mediocre but the thing is at least he in a way admits his mistakes and ships the misfits out. Rememer Hou Hou , he would relentlessy play awful players like cheyrou , traore , biscan , to name a few and would never admit he was wrong. not to mention diouf , diao ect ect so if rafa makes a few mistakes along the way , who cares , the important thing is he will get em out as fast as they came in if they aint delievering and this shows he is striving for success and this along with tha fact that he is a tactical genius is why he will , if he stays eventually make us Champions for the 19th time .
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #13: Jun 27, 2007 09:16:14 am
      I hope all our players dont come from la liga (if any come at all). What about Simao, Malouda and others? Players from la liga are a risk, due to the differences in the league.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #14: Jun 27, 2007 10:21:58 am
      I hope all our players dont come from la liga (if any come at all). What about Simao, Malouda and others? Players from la liga are a risk, due to the differences in the league.

There is always a certain amount of risk in signing any player no matter where they come from. Some players can't even adjust to moving to other parts of England! You talk about players from La Liga being a risk and then ask about Simao and Malouda who are playing in weeker leagues. To me these players are just as much risk than players from Spain so I can't see your point. As I said any signing is a risk, it's all down to how adaptable the player is and how quickly they can settle in.
      « Last Edit: Jun 27, 2007 11:19:48 am by srslfc »
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #15: Jun 27, 2007 10:54:15 am
      There is always a certain amount of risk in signing any player no matter where they come from. Some players can't even adjust to moving to other parts of England! You talk about players from La Liga being a risk and then ask about Simao and Malouda who are playing in weeker leagues. To me these players are just as much risk than players from Spain so I can't see your point. As I said any signing is a risk, it's all down to how adaptable the player is and how quickly they can seetle in.

Thats true but La liga players tend to be a more expensive risk than others. Simao and malouda are one of the best players in their respective leagues and they would cost around 17 mil, whereas la liga you could get players like villa, etoo and torres for insane amounts.

Quick Reply