Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Jeremy Hunt apologises for Hillsborough slur

Read 12814 times
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Jeremy Hunt apologises for Hillsborough slur
      Jun 28, 2010 02:12:52 pm
      Its breaking news I'm on my phone. Well it only took a few years.

Jeremy Hunt backtracks on Hillsborough 'hooligans' comment

Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt apologised today after apparently suggesting that crowd unrest was responsible for the Hillsborough disaster in which 96 Liverpool football fans died.

He said he was sorry if his words caused any offence to supporters and the families of those killed in the incident in April 1989.

Mr Hunt made his remark in an interview in which he was answering questions about England's poor performance in the World Cup.

He was quoted as saying that he was "incredibly encouraged by the example set by the England fans. I mean, not a single arrest for a football-related offense, and the terrible problems that we had in Heysel and Hillsborough in the Eighties seem now to be behind us".

In a statement Mr Hunt said: "I know that fan unrest played no part in the terrible events of April 1989 and I apologise to Liverpool fans and the families of those killed and injured in the Hillsborough disaster if my comments caused any offence."
      « Last Edit: Jun 28, 2010 03:40:29 pm by JD, Reason: Title changed. »
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Re: Breaking news - Jeremy Hunt apologises for linking hooliganism to Hillsborough
      Reply #1: Jun 28, 2010 02:19:59 pm
      and the article: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23850101-jeremy-hunt-backtracks-on-hillsborough-hooligans-comment.do

Let's hope others take note.  Word is in 2012, classified Hillsborough documents will be released, let's hope we get justice for the 96.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Re: Breaking news - Jeremy Hunt apologises for linking hooliganism to Hillsborough
      Reply #2: Jun 28, 2010 02:22:32 pm
      Asshole.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #3: Jun 28, 2010 02:29:58 pm
      @sshole.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #4: Jun 28, 2010 03:02:47 pm
      I just heard it on the radio now.

What a dick
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #5: Jun 28, 2010 03:15:08 pm
      Nice to see the Tories still have the same values after all these years.

They don't make it any easier for themselves do they?

Swerve all this apolgies sh*te. If you're really sorry, throw your weight and support behind the panel sifting through the lies that were covered up 21 years ago.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8513 
      Reply #6: Jun 28, 2010 03:19:19 pm
      Jeremy Hunt 'sorry' over Hillsborough hooligans claim

Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt has apologised after suggesting that hooliganism played a part in the Hillsborough football disaster.

Ninety-six Liverpool fans were crushed to death on 15 April 1989 at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium.

He praised the England fans at the 2010 World Cup saying the "terrible problems" of "Heysel and Hillsborough in the 1980s seem now to be behind us."

Investigations have found that violence played no part in the tragedy.

Mr Hunt was giving an interview following England's exit from the World Cup, where he applauded the behaviour of fans.

Apologising, he said: "I know that fan unrest played no part in the terrible events of April 1989 and I apologise to Liverpool fans and the families of those killed and injured in the Hillsborough disaster if my comments caused any offence."

Margaret Aspinall, chairwoman of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, said: "I am absolutely fed up of people saying things like that, for 21 years we have been fighting for justice, we have been fighting to get the message out that it was not down to drink, it was not down to hooliganism.

"He is the culture secretary - he is well informed he should know better. It's not like it happened two weeks ago this was decades ago.

"He can apologise but it has still really upset me. I only found out because someone rang me on my mobile, I have not spoken to the rest of the Hillsborough families yet because I am only just about coping with my own anger.

"I will be writing to him on behalf of all the survivors of the disaster and asking to have a meeting with him."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/10434714.stm

Rearrange the words Change, Never, Spots and Leopards and that is this pr**k and his party to a F***ing tee.

Tory tw*t!!
      jake15919
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 359 posts | 14 
      • Something, something, something, the dark side.
      Reply #7: Jun 28, 2010 03:36:51 pm
      Hunt. Rhymes with...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,573 posts | 6915 
      Reply #8: Jun 28, 2010 03:40:00 pm
      Total utter moron that fella.  I didn't hear his original comments over the weekend but I got the general gist. 

It's an uneducated slur which continues.

Until we get the justice and closure on the Hillsborough disaster - these constant jibes will continue.  To hear it from the Culture, Media and Sport minister is totally unhelpful.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,002 posts | 3350 
      Re: Jeremy Hunt apologises for Hillsborough slur
      Reply #9: Jun 28, 2010 03:45:02 pm
      Typical Tory c**t.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #10: Jun 28, 2010 03:53:18 pm
      How F***ing dare he try to riddle out of his first statement by having someone at the home office put him right and then he goes and apologises, I somehow can't see anyone being taken in by this, he needs to apologise about Hillsborough independently and on it's own and not lumped with in with game behaviour.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #11: Jun 28, 2010 04:02:28 pm
      What a f***in pr**k! Another misinformed / uneducated retard perpetuating the myth that it was the fault of the fans. An apology is not enough now, too late.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #12: Jun 28, 2010 04:27:15 pm
      Complete and utter w**ker of the highest order. Crawl away and die you slimy maggot weasel.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #13: Jun 28, 2010 04:29:03 pm
      What a tw*t, typical Tory
      SuperSkrtel
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      Reply #14: Jun 28, 2010 05:00:51 pm
      Whose culture is this p**ck the secretary for?? Its definitely not mine or yours anyway uneducated tory k**bhead
      skunkburner
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 138 posts |
      Reply #15: Jun 28, 2010 05:12:10 pm
      c**t
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #16: Jun 28, 2010 06:09:23 pm
      F**ker needs a slap on the nuts!!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #17: Jun 28, 2010 06:51:50 pm
      Tory tw*t!!

They never change deep down, no matter how much people try to tell you otherwise.
      MrKite
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 475 posts | -2 
      Reply #18: Jun 28, 2010 06:55:06 pm
      It just had to be a Tory who said it didn't it. I was maybe thinking that they were modern thinkers these new Tories but deep down some are slowly coming out as the same old Tories. The tw*t knows F**k all about football so why the F**k was he given that job. He's no Tessa Jowell and quite frankly looks lost in his job. c**t should resign or get sacked yet I doubt that will happen. Ignorant pr**k.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,895 posts | 4966 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #19: Jun 28, 2010 07:32:33 pm
      The man is a total b***ard, How the F**k dare he comment on any issue regarding peoples lives, He is a f***in mp, A right wing rectum who spouts nothing but sh*te, He clearly has no conscience and no idea what he is talking about, So Hunt you kunt shut the F**k up and go and spout your sh*te among all the other tory tw*ts, Your feeble excuse of an apology is'nt worth the sh*t from my arse, Do one pr**k!!!!
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #20: Jun 28, 2010 07:53:25 pm
      f***in balloon head.
      Redangel

• 8,213 posts | 1000 
      Reply #21: Jun 28, 2010 08:02:36 pm
      It never ceases does it . They never miss a trick to bring up the hooligan thing in relation to Hillsborough, and that's why we will never give up the fight !! To make matters worse he says ' if ' he has offended anyone , well I've got news for him he's not only offended us but he's besmirched the names of those who died and those who still ,  to this day, suffer !! It's a cheap throw away remark and he should go !!
      Sorry if that seems harsh to some, but we've had enough, same Tory prejudice, same thoughtless comments , he's paid to THINK before he speaks.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #22: Jun 28, 2010 08:12:47 pm
      1) What is so bad about the Tory people? Looked it up but can't find a general reason for the opinion of them.

2) What an idiot.

Quick Reply