Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Roy Hodgson Targets British Players

Read 8411 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Re: Roy Hodgson Targets British Players
      Reply #69: Jul 08, 2010 01:35:02 pm
      So what part of Britain is that Maynor Figueroa from then?
      « Last Edit: Jul 12, 2010 02:35:29 pm by HUYTON RED »
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #70: Jul 08, 2010 01:47:27 pm
      Yeah 'berry, i know.  :-\

I was just pointing out that Jack, for example, can't be considered home-grown and therefore (instead of adding him to the 25) we must look to buy someone who is. Now just how that encourages "youth development" F**k only knows.

I'll explain my point another way: if Jack was allowed to be included in the 25 we could spend what little we have on a "foreign" player who wasn't over-priced but every bit as talented as an English/home-grown player. I really couldn't give a flying F**k if Eng-er-land win the 2022 World Cup to be honest.

It encourages youth because you've still got to have these players in your squad.  The real problem with this though, in my opinion, is it's going to make clubs put unreasonable prices for & put so much unneeded pressure & expectations on players that are no more than prospects.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #71: Jul 08, 2010 02:34:42 pm
      So what part of Britian is that Maynor Figueroa from then?

I am sure he could get an Irish passport. They are giving it out to anyone these day. All we have to do is say he has an "Irish Granny". Its part of the British Isles.  ;)
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #72: Jul 08, 2010 03:04:32 pm
      So what part of Britian is that Maynor Figueroa from then?

East Ham.
      waclander
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #73: Jul 08, 2010 03:11:37 pm
      I am sure he could get an Irish passport. They are giving it out to anyone these day. All we have to do is say he has an "Irish Granny". Its part of the British Isles.  ;)

No we draw the line at Wigan players we only give them to Mossad hit squads and Russian spies God we have some standards.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #74: Jul 09, 2010 12:17:19 pm
      just an interesting piece i have read

OFF THE FENCE: Liverpool FC should re-sign Peter Crouch and Craig Bellamy
      Jul 9 2010 by Ben Thornley, Daily Post

WITH Roy Hodgson seeking signings to take Liverpool forward this summer, the first place he should look is to the club’s recent past.

If it’s relatively cheap, experienced British players who understand what it means to play for the Reds, Peter Crouch and Craig Bellamy tick all of the boxes.

Selling both men represented two of Rafa Benitez’s biggest blunders in the transfer market, their exits contributing to Liverpool’s current striker shortfall.

Hodgson now has the chance to right Benitez’s wrongs.

Adding to his depth of forward talent will be among the former Fulham boss’ priorities, and at around £6m a man Crouch and Bellamy wouldn’t eat up too much of his budget.

Selling flop Ryan Babel, who was purchased with the money from the sale of Bellamy to West Ham, alone would finance the transfers.

Their arrivals would also go some way towards convincing Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres to stay at Anfield.

Reds supporters never got to see the best of the under-used Wales captain during his brief stay in the 2006/07 season.

But he was among the Premier League’s outstanding players on Manchester City’s left wing last season, a role he could excel in at Anfield, supporting Torres or providing back-up to the injury-prone Spaniard.

Given the 30-year-old’s own struggles with fitness, he also would be happy to be rotated and has ruled himself out of international friendlies to concentrate on his club career.

Despite the infamous Barcelona altercation with John Arne Riise and a golf club, the Welshman was a popular figure at Anfield – as was Crouch.

With the loss of the 6ft 7 England man, Liverpool lost a Plan B, but Crouch would offer far more than that to Hodgson.

A proven goalscorer with a delightful touch, he formed a great understanding with Gerrard, with the Liverpool skipper singling him out for special praise in his autobiography.

While a similar relationship with Torres was never allowed the chance to flourish, on the few occasions the two men did play together goals almost always flowed.

Hopefully, though, that partnership will get a second chance next season.

l THE way Kenny Dalglish was treated in Liverpool’s search for a new manager this summer highlights how little the men running Anfield understand the club, its fans and history.

When Chelsea-supporting, one-day-a-week chairman Martin Broughton insisted last Thursday that Dalglish had never been a candidate for the job it felt like a public rebuke for the Reds’ greatest living figure.

The Scot deserved much better.
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #75: Jul 09, 2010 12:20:12 pm
      Wouldn't mind to be honest
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #76: Jul 09, 2010 12:59:47 pm

Or did you mean Eastham?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1778 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #77: Jul 09, 2010 01:08:37 pm
      Would like Crouch back, But would he come back, he has champions league Footi at Spurs.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #78: Jul 09, 2010 01:10:14 pm
      I am sure he could get an Irish passport. They are giving it out to anyone these day. All we have to do is say he has an "Irish Granny". Its part of the British Isles.  ;)

Nice idea Semple but the new rules only cover England and Wales so Scottish or Irish players are considered as "foreigners".

Quick Reply