Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Unusual Uses For Coca Cola

Read 8088 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Unusual Uses For Coca Cola
      Jul 06, 2010 06:25:29 pm
      Rust Buster

Coca Cola is an excellent rust buster. If you have a bunch of small objects that need de-rusting, soak them in coke overnight and give them a good scrub in the morning. The properties of coke help to break down the rust particles, making cleaning much easier. You can also apply coke to a chrome finish which is rust spotted – pour some on a rough textured cloth and rub it in a circular motion. Be sure to throw out the used coke when you are done with it or you might be taking a trip to the doctor.

Clean a Window

Like the previous item, the citric acid in Coke makes for an excellent window cleaner. This is especially useful for car windows which can get tough buildups of gunk. Pour over the can of coke and rub the window – then wipe it off with a damp cloth (to ensure the removal of any sticky residue from the sugars in the drink). Think of this like a cheap alternative to the many citrus fruit based cleaners that are sold on TV.

Eat It

Coke can be used for a variety of cooking techniques. You can mix it half and half with BBQ sauce for an excellent marinade, and you can even casserole an entire chicken in it. Here is a tasty recipe for chicken pieces cooked on the stove top with coke – try it, you will be pleasantly surprised. The sugars give a deep glossy coating and caramelized flavor, while the citric acid (found in lemons) gives a nice tang. Coke also makes a great glaze for baked ham.

De-Skunk

For those of you who live in areas where skunk smells can be an issue from time to time, one can of coke added to a bucket of water with detergent really helps to break the odor down. If you have been sprayed, stand in the shower and cover yourself from head to toe with coke – wait for a few minutes, then rinse off. The added bonus is that coke is an excellent hair treatment so you get two tips for the price of one with this item!

Pain Killer

The chemicals in coca cola can be very effective to help neutralize the pain of jellyfish stings. The best thing about this is that while most people at the beach are unlikely to be carrying anti-sting lotions, they are likely to be carrying a bottle of coke. Just pour the coke over the area in which you have been stung and feel the relief. If you don’t happen to have any coke, the other alternative treatment is to pee on the stung part of your body – or to have someone else pee on it for you.

De-blacken Pots

Pots can sometimes get a black film on the bottom which is almost impossible to remove; this is caused by over-cooking or just natural discoloration due to highly acidic foods. To remove the black and restore your pot to new, pour in a can of coke (or as much as you need to cover the blackened area by an inch) and put it on the stove on a low heat. After an hour or so, wash the pot as normal.

Clean Clothes

Grease stains are famously difficult to remove from clothing and stain removers can be very expensive. Here is a cheap solution: empty a can of coke into your wash along with the usual detergent and run it through a normal cycle. This is also quite effective for removing blood and it helps to deodorize smelly clothes.

Kill Bugs

This item also appeared on the beer list – and it works just the same. Pour some cola into a shallow dish and place it in the garden near the problem area. Slugs, snails, and other bugs will go in for a drink and never come out again! This is a very good first line of attack in your garden and it can obviously save you an enormous amount of money by reducing the need for pesticides. You can pour the left over coke (minus the bugs) onto plants that like acidic soil like azaleas and gardenias.

Heal Yourself

Coca cola is useful for a variety of ailments. The most common is for soothing upset stomachs. Just slowly sip a glass of flat coke and it should help to alleviate nausea. It is also good for people suffering from diarrhea or a sore throat. I would say that it can also cure hiccups but, frankly, a glass of water should do the same thing, as the chemicals in coke don’t offer any special “anti-hiccup” magic.

Make an Explosion

Diet Coke + Mentos

Most people who have been around on the Internet for at least a few years will be familiar with the diet-coke-Mentos volcano. The idea is that you drop a Mentos into a bottle of coke and the chemical reaction causes the coke to spurt for miles (not literally of course). The video clip above shows a great example of this fun use for coke. Why not buy a bunch of bottles this weekend and see if you can do better than the efforts shown above?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Unusual Uses For Coca Cola
      Reply #1: Jul 06, 2010 06:50:29 pm
      Also good for temporarily getting your clutch working again as the acid eats at the pad giving it enough grip to get you fixed up til you can pull the engine out and change it
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: Jul 06, 2010 06:54:51 pm
      When you see that it can clean things, you just wonder what it does to your stomach.

Love the stuff though. Diet/Zero is definitely my preference.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #3: Jul 06, 2010 06:59:19 pm
      Did you know a can of Diet Coke will float in water, while a can of Classic Coke sinks!

And it's also nice in Bacardi.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #4: Jul 06, 2010 09:41:09 pm
      Not a use but a known fact. Coca-Cola stops burping.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #5: Jul 06, 2010 11:19:05 pm
      Great for cleaning old coins
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: Jul 06, 2010 11:29:34 pm
      Mud and water is better at removing rust though.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #7: Jul 06, 2010 11:33:08 pm
      Anyone tried drinking Coke?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #8: Jul 06, 2010 11:35:46 pm
      Gow what are you doing on the forum when you're supposed to be measuring things.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #9: Jul 06, 2010 11:36:45 pm
      Measured.

Fancy some a Coke?
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #10: Jul 07, 2010 01:16:58 am
      We've been having problems with insects in the garden and that tip will be a good one to pass on to me mum.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #11: Jul 07, 2010 03:36:18 pm
      I knew flat lemonade was good for upset stomachs. Flat Coke tastes like sh*te though. :-\
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #12: Jul 07, 2010 03:39:52 pm
      Did you know a can of Diet Coke will float in water, while a can of Classic Coke sinks!

And it's also nice in Bacardi.

I tell that fact to every one - it's a mind-boggling fact, it was like, when as a kid, I discovered that mixing yellow & blue made green. 

It's also nice in Jack Daniels.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #13: Jul 07, 2010 04:07:28 pm
      Agreed. Mmmmmm Jack Daniels.

What colour is Coca Cola? Brown? It's like Guiness, which is allegedly a very very deep red. Another interesting (potentially untrue) fact. ;)
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #14: Jul 07, 2010 04:20:21 pm
      The Coca-Cola company is the worlds largest consumer of vanilla!
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #15: Jun 26, 2011 03:52:46 pm
      Some said Coke is effective in cleaning stubborn stains on toilet bowls, might just try it out one of these days.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #16: Jun 26, 2011 11:31:42 pm
      I used it to remove acid corrosion and clean the posts and terminals on car batteries. Works awesome. Coke will completely dissolve acid. Pour it on the posts and terminals, let sit for a minute then flush with water. Done.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #17: Jun 26, 2011 11:37:09 pm
      Have used it on my BMX bike for a restoration with the matt side of foil to clean up chrome and it does work.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #18: Jun 27, 2011 12:13:59 am
      Have used it on my BMX bike for a restoration with the matt side of foil to clean up chrome and it does work.
      on your BMX. How old are you?
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #19: Jun 27, 2011 12:18:04 am

Does that honestly matter?
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #20: Jun 27, 2011 12:20:07 am
      only asking?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #21: Jun 27, 2011 12:21:35 am
      Tried snorting it when I was pissed - complete waste of time.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #22: Jun 27, 2011 12:41:28 am
      Tried snorting it when I was pissed - complete waste of time.

I love this post  :lmao:
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #23: Jun 27, 2011 05:45:32 am
      I used it to remove acid corrosion and clean the posts and terminals on car batteries. Works awesome. Coke will completely dissolve acid. Pour it on the posts and terminals, let sit for a minute then flush with water. Done.
      I thought sure that this one would be in the OP's list. My dad taught me this when I was a kid.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #24: Jun 27, 2011 05:54:21 am
      Great for cleaning BBQ's.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #25: Jun 27, 2011 09:38:42 am
      I thought you got your wife to clean the BB'Q Ian,that is what I usually do and then I put a drop of coca cola in my rum and think about the REDS.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      Reply #26: Jul 04, 2011 10:48:34 pm

I am 36. When i was a kid i had a 3rd generation Diamond Back Viper. My dad bought me the bike when i was a kid and he made me get a couple of paper rounds so if i wanted bits for the bike to max it out i worked for it. Built the bike to full race spec, my dad bought me a new bike and gave my bike to my cousin Gary without my consent. I was devastated and wanted to kill my cousin but i couldn't as my dad would then kill me.

Had some spare cash last year and imported a 3rd gen Viper from Houston, Texas. It was a full race spec ABA Factory bike, completely standard. I am now in the process of rebuilding my old bike i used to have. It's like a feeling of completion for me as it had not been my intention to lose my original bike. I worked my bollocks off to max that bike out and my dad gave it away, even though he bought me a new bike.

I'm about 70% done, will post some pics up when completed. It's surprising how much money these bikes are worth, once complete the bike could fetch £7-800. The plan is to keep the bike for riding local and there is a BMX freestyle park opposite my mam's house where i can relive the days i lost as a kid i suppose. Once my boy is old enough i'll pass it onto him and then onto my youngest son, i won't give it away though.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #27: Jul 04, 2011 11:44:14 pm
      ^^^ Thats a great story Hardcore....well in to you for following your dream...doesn't matter how old you are, you enjoy it for what its worth and your boys will get the benefit out of all your hard work, nice one hun xx
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      Reply #28: Jul 05, 2011 04:06:35 pm
      ^^^ Thats a great story Hardcore....well in to you for following your dream...doesn't matter how old you are, you enjoy it for what its worth and your boys will get the benefit out of all your hard work, nice one hun xx

Thanks Cas. Everyone loves their toys and i'm no exception. I truly think that we never really grow up in this sense. If you truly love something then nothing ever changes that love, nothing at all.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #29: Jul 05, 2011 04:51:03 pm
      I never had anything new when I was a kid, all of my toys and clothes were second hand. I had an old BMX that used to belong to an older lad living next door. I really don't remember much about it except that it had no brakes (you peddled backwards to stop) and it was unbreakable, I loved it. When we moved house, my parents had a bit of extra money and bought me and my sister brand new mountain bikes. You can imagine how excited we were to finally have new bikes and ones with brakes and gears and everything! What a load of sh*t. Doubt I'd go near a mountain on something that couldn't bump up a curb without the chain falling off! I've no idea what happened to the BMX but I'd have it back, even now.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      Reply #30: Jul 06, 2011 06:52:33 pm
      I never had anything new when I was a kid, all of my toys and clothes were second hand. I had an old BMX that used to belong to an older lad living next door. I really don't remember much about it except that it had no brakes (you peddled backwards to stop) and it was unbreakable, I loved it. When we moved house, my parents had a bit of extra money and bought me and my sister brand new mountain bikes. You can imagine how excited we were to finally have new bikes and ones with brakes and gears and everything! What a load of sh*t. Doubt I'd go near a mountain on something that couldn't bump up a curb without the chain falling off! I've no idea what happened to the BMX but I'd have it back, even now.

Great story sex pest Rep. They most certainly don't make things like they used to.

Quick Reply