Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

The Europa League 2010-11: Hands up who's excited?

Read 26104 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: The Europa League 2010-11: Hands up who's excited?
      Reply #230: Mar 09, 2011 09:40:55 pm
      I know mate but the train fare in particular is fooking ridiculous. If I lived in Liverpool id spend a tenner on the train to Manchester and fly from there for cheaper. Even get a train as far as Birmingham or Leeds and fly direct to Dublin
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #231: Mar 09, 2011 09:44:57 pm
      Even if the flights are booked, the bus from Shannon to Dublin isen't all that bad if you book it online. It could work out cheaper a Ryanair flight to Shannon + a bus to Dublin rather than a flight to Dublin. Somehow!
      plus the accomadation in and around dublin will be skyhigh for the match,it would be cheaper to stay outside dublin .
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #232: Mar 09, 2011 09:49:25 pm
      plus the accomadation in and around dublin will be skyhigh for the match,it would be cheaper to stay outside dublin .

Yeh it would, only for a few of my mates live there and can crash there, I'd probably get a hostel to be honest, or else like a hotel with about 5 to a bed! :D Depends what ya want really, like if it was me in a foreign country I'd just want somewhere to crash inbetween  beer and sleep!

Dublin is very expenseive though.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #233: Mar 09, 2011 10:00:09 pm
      Yeh it would, only for a few of my mates live there and can crash there, I'd probably get a hostel to be honest, or else like a hotel with about 5 to a bed! :D Depends what ya want really, like if it was me in a foreign country I'd just want somewhere to crash inbetween  beer and sleep!

Dublin is very expenseive though.
      it"s just food for thought for anyone who are strapped for cash if we do make it to the final.
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #234: Mar 09, 2011 10:01:08 pm
      Flights from Liverpool to Dublin on the 18TH are around £79 with Ryanair or Aerlingus at the minute.

Price flights into Belfast City or Belfast International too; Belfast is only 2 hours away from Dublin now with the new roads they've just finished. Buses and Trains leave every half hour
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #235: Mar 09, 2011 10:07:34 pm
      there are plenty of options there .
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #236: Mar 10, 2011 10:41:13 am
      BMI flight from birmingham 7am day of the final, back on the thurs, 12.30 pm - £72

Cant book train tickets yet, but a return on a wed miday, coming back 7.30am on thurs, £20 return. takes about 2 1/4 hrs
      vik94
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts |
      Reply #237: Mar 10, 2011 11:59:22 am
      I am very excited.I have never seen us win a trophy so i am desperate for one.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #238: Mar 10, 2011 12:05:23 pm
      Cant get excited we are playing in a Quarry tonight at teatime.It lasts longer than our league and the prize isnt great added to the playing Thursday Sunday it gets on my Tits.We want to be associated with the CL not the EL
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #239: Mar 10, 2011 12:38:08 pm
      Cant get excited we are playing in a Quarry tonight at teatime.It lasts longer than our league and the prize isnt great added o the playing Thursday Sunday it gets on my Tits.We want to be associated with the CL not the EL
      just wait until the final in Dublin, with 50,000 Scouser's in the stadium! That will get you fired up mate.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #240: Mar 10, 2011 12:42:44 pm
      Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the cuptied issue regarding Suarez (or any other cuptied player for that matter ) negated regarding the final itself ?
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #241: Mar 10, 2011 12:55:56 pm
      Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the cuptied issue regarding Suarez (or any other cuptied player for that matter ) negated regarding the final itself ?

incorrect
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #242: Mar 10, 2011 12:57:22 pm
      just wait until the final in Dublin, with 50,000 Scouser's in the stadium! That will get you fired up mate.

and how many more on the streets waiting to celebrate after the match!
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #243: Mar 10, 2011 12:59:09 pm
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #244: Mar 13, 2011 07:18:34 pm
      Now then, the draw for the FA Cup semi-final also has another connotation... by our calculations, it looks very unlikely that sixth place will now be good enough for Europa League qualification.
      We think Bolton or Stoke are guaranteed a Europe League place courtesy of an FA Cup final appearance, provided their opponent - Man City or Man Utd - finishes in the top six of the Premier League.
      Now, England get an extra place in the Europa League if Man City or Liverpool win it, only if they don't qualify by some other means (I.e fifth place takes precedent over winning Europa League), while there is, of course, an extra Europa League place for the team that wins the Fair Play League.
      But, as it stands, you'll need to finish top five if you want to qualify for Europe this season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9423538.stm

So.

Could the Trotters or the Potters nudge us out then?

Good name for a Pub.

So. Fifth place takes precedent over actually winning the thing ? !
      Strange brew.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #245: Mar 13, 2011 07:27:55 pm
      Now then, the draw for the FA Cup semi-final also has another connotation... by our calculations, it looks very unlikely that sixth place will now be good enough for Europa League qualification.
      We think Bolton or Stoke are guaranteed a Europe League place courtesy of an FA Cup final appearance, provided their opponent - Man City or Man Utd - finishes in the top six of the Premier League.
      Now, England get an extra place in the Europa League if Man City or Liverpool win it, only if they don't qualify by some other means (I.e fifth place takes precedent over winning Europa League), while there is, of course, an extra Europa League place for the team that wins the Fair Play League.
      But, as it stands, you'll need to finish top five if you want to qualify for Europe this season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9423538.stm

So.

Could the Trotters or the Potters nudge us out then?

Good name for a Pub.

So. Fifth place takes precedent over actually winning the thing ? !
      Strange brew.

You missed out the "we erm think" bit, even they are not sure!!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #246: Mar 13, 2011 09:03:34 pm
      UEFA have not got a F***ing clue. Only The FA come close to that shower of dinosaurs.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #247: Mar 13, 2011 11:28:00 pm
      If we win it or we in it?
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #248: Mar 13, 2011 11:53:32 pm
      I've been reading around about Europa, and this is what I understand, in simple terms:

If we place fifth in the PL, we're in Europa next season.

If we win Europa, we're in Europa next season.

If we place 6th or lower and don't win Europa, we are NOT in next season. This is due to a few factors, the key one being that Bolton or Stoke is guaranteed a spot in next season's Europa due being an FA Cup finalist this season, provided that their FA Cup opponent finishes in the top 6 of the PL (which Man City/Man U seem guaranteed to do). Confusing as heck, but I think I'm accurate.  :-\
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #249: Mar 14, 2011 12:09:33 am
      Not quite so excited with Stevie not playing. Bit more anxious. We will need to qualify next season at least, to encourage top players here, and winning it seems our only way in at the mo.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #250: Mar 14, 2011 03:03:16 am
      I've been reading around about Europa, and this is what I understand, in simple terms:

If we place fifth in the PL, we're in Europa next season.

If we win Europa, we're in Europa next season.

If we place 6th or lower and don't win Europa, we are NOT in next season. This is due to a few factors, the key one being that Bolton or Stoke is guaranteed a spot in next season's Europa due being an FA Cup finalist this season, provided that their FA Cup opponent finishes in the top 6 of the PL (which Man City/Man U seem guaranteed to do). Confusing as heck, but I think I'm accurate.  :-\

This is worrying with us being 6 points behind 5th placed Spurs who also have a game in hand - only hope is that we can crawl back 7 of them points before the 2nd to last game of the season for when we play them and then by beating them it could result in us being in Europe. Other than that it looks like no European football on Merseyside for a season which could increase the chances of us missing out on key signings. All i can say is the players need to keep pulling their fingers out.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,868 posts | 165 
      Reply #251: Mar 14, 2011 01:16:49 pm
      So Just being an FA Cup finalist is good enough for Europe, what bollocks, should be winner only as per birmingham!
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #252: Mar 14, 2011 01:36:51 pm
      There not rewarded by just been finalists, its the fact the other team are also in the Champions league so give up there qualifying spot to the runners-up !

Quick Reply