Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

FINALÉ: Spain 1-0 Netherlands (aet), 11th July 19:30 - BBC1

Read 22586 times
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      FINALÉ: Spain 1-0 Netherlands (aet), 11th July 19:30 - BBC1
      Jul 08, 2010 06:27:15 pm
      I couldn't wait...

What is everyone's take on this?

Both teams have not seem to hit the full potential, we all know that Spain have pure quality everywhere. There are several questions that can be raised about Spain. Do Spain stick with Pedro for the Final or bring back Villa + Torres? They have great squad depth and bring on a star for a star, example Yesterday they brought on Torres for Villa... Silva for Alonso. Spain haven't had it easy they lost there first game to the Swiss which made them fighting to even qualify for the group stages. They won there next two games and ended up getting Portugal in the last 16. They won and we all saw that little ladyboy CR9 cry and spit at the camera. They then beat Paraguay in a close battle with a 1-0 win by David Villa. They then went on and played Germany and won 1-0 from a Puyol header.

Now this is the first time Spain have ever been in a world cup final and they have certainly got some of the best players in the world, there main players consist of Barca and Real Madrid. They are excellent team and I would love to see the Spanish win this game.

Now to the other finalists...

Holland, the team that have "fluked" there way to the final, They beat one of the teams we all thought or well I did were pipped to go far Brazil comfortably. They have some great players and there main threat comes from Robben + Sneijder ( I aplogise if spelt wrong ). They are a well knit team and have had some great performances in this world cup. They haven't lost at all this world cup which makes this an interesting final to say the least.
      There route to the final started with them topping the group with 9 points, 3 straight wins and 5 goals and only conceeding 1 goal. Impressive to say the least, they then had to play Slovakia and won 2-1. It was remembered for that great goal where Sniejder slotted in Robben and he ran down the wing and then cut inside and scored that cracker.  Then they had the hardest task of all where they played Brazil one of the greatest football nations of all time who seemed unstoppable as well. They won 2-1 I can't pass judgement on this as much as I was working but I saw the highlights and it seemed a scrappy performance but you can expect this from top teams and top players.  Holland then beat Uruguay to get into the final with a 3-2 win, this game was pure quality as it was football at its best and some memorable goals.

Now the question is, who is going to take this world cup final?

The questions I ask are:

- Is Fernando Torres up to par to take his crown as one of the best finishers in the world and score a winner in the world cup final
      - Will Robben shine along with Wesley and control the Dutch midfield
      - Will De Jong struggle to control the midfield where as Xabi who has been excellent control it with such ease.
      - Will it go to peno's or will it be in the first 90 minutes.

David Villa could win the golden boot all depending on how Germany play against Uruguay on Saturday night.
      « Last Edit: Jul 12, 2010 12:01:45 am by Reslivo »
      predSJUUUUK
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts |
      Re: Spain vs Netherlands (Sunday 7.30pm BBC1)
      Reply #1: Jul 08, 2010 06:36:38 pm
      If Pedro wasn't a ball greedy tw*t Torres would have had his first goal and I feel that his confidence would have been fantastic going into the final and would most likely get the winner in the final once again.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #2: Jul 08, 2010 06:47:40 pm
      Holland have won what 4 times before? Certainly not the World Cup, I wish. This will be our first time.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #3: Jul 08, 2010 06:49:03 pm
      I'm gonna go with whatever Paul the Octopus says  ;)

Spain hopefully  :D
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #4: Jul 08, 2010 07:00:52 pm
      There's a really strange vibe going through Holland at the moment, it's hard to explain, everybody is happy and very anxious, people wearing orange every day everywhere, everything that's orange is pretty much sold out :laugh: It's really fantastic to experience this. I don't remember much from when we won Euro 1988, besides the things I've seen on tv in the years after, I was too young, but the only thing I do remember is that I had orange shoelaces in my sneakers, and how happy I was with having them. I've been on the hunt for orange shoelaces for weeks now, I had to have them just like back then, but nobody had them or they were sold out. I had already given up on them. Then today, when I bought some orange socks, the salesgirl gave me orange shoelaces for free to go with them, the last ones they had she said. Crazy how happy one can be with having orange shoelaces. We're going to win! Only 3 days left.
      RyanBabs
      • Started Topic

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #5: Jul 08, 2010 07:04:49 pm
      Holland have won what 4 times before? Certainly not the World Cup, I wish. This will be our first time.

I thought holland have won the world cup 3x.

I probably got it confused they have been in the final before though.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #6: Jul 08, 2010 07:05:43 pm

You don't have to tell me that :P
      We've been in the final in '74 and '78, but lost in both. Epic games though.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #7: Jul 08, 2010 07:08:29 pm
      Best of luck mate, I'm gunning for yuz.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8: Jul 08, 2010 07:29:42 pm
      English officials for the final.  Can't wait for this game and not sure how to call it tbh, could go either way.

Interesting that these two teams have never met in any major competition before.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #9: Jul 08, 2010 07:47:47 pm
      If Paul the octopus doesn't pick Spain for the final I will cut off his testicles, sorry tentacles!
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #10: Jul 08, 2010 10:32:35 pm
      Howard Webb to referee this one.  Would liked to have seen that Uzbekistani referee but nevermind.

edit: I think how accurate his linesman have been would have contributed greatly to his cause.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/08/howard-webb-referee-world-cup-final1
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #11: Jul 09, 2010 12:27:59 am
      We're in the final!

WOO!
      jack_lfc
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts |
      Reply #12: Jul 09, 2010 12:42:30 am
      holland :)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #13: Jul 09, 2010 05:42:01 am
      This is definitely going to be an interesting encounter. A chance for a European nation to win the tournamet outside their continent for the first time. Spain, have never reached a World Cup Final before while Netherlands finished runners-up in 1974 and 1978. Both have a chance to win it for the first time. In this game, we'll not only see two of the best footballing nations take on each other but top scorers, Wesley Sneijder and David Villa will come head-to-head with a chance to win the Golden Boot (unless of course, Torres scores 6 :laugh:).

Netherlands, who beat Uruguay 3-2 in the semi-final have definitely been one of the more interesting nations in this year's tournament. I would think that Arjen Robben and Wesley Sneijder are the two most dangerous players but the likes of Robin van Persie and Dirk Kuyt can also do damage. Arjen Robben is very dangerous on the right where he usually cuts in and has a powerful left foot. Top scorer, Wesley Sneijder, has a chance to add the World Cup trophy and Golden Boot award to his treble with Inter Milan. The only worry for Netherlands, IMO, is that they tend to concede goals.

Spain, even though not at their best in the tournament until the semi-final against Germany, where they put on their best performance, deservedly won that tie. No one keeps the ball better than the Spaniards especially if Xavi, Xabi Alonso and Andres Iniesta are on form. Though they've won all their knock-out games 1-0, the Spanish have grinded out results they need to reach the final, which is what matters. If they take control of the midfield, they can create tons of chances but have only scored 7 goals and conceded 2, both in the group stages.

It's difficult to tell who will win because it's football. Obviously, I want Spain to win because I'm a la furia roja fan. One thing we can be happy is, Liverpool have 4 representatives in the final and two of the four Liverpool players are definitely to return to Melwood with World Cup medals.

All the best, Spain and Netherlands! (Hope Spain wins though :P).
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #14: Jul 09, 2010 05:49:47 am
      My Heart says Holland should win, but my mind says it'll be Spain. :P
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #15: Jul 09, 2010 12:32:34 pm
      Spain 1-0
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #16: Jul 09, 2010 12:40:11 pm
      Mon' Holland!

Torres will score I think, not sure what the score will be though.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #17: Jul 09, 2010 02:10:40 pm
      I couldn't wait...

What is everyone's take on this?

My take:  ;D

There.......when referring to a place, whether concrete or more abstract.

Their.......to indicate possession. It is a possessive adjective and indicates that a particular noun belongs to them.

They're........they're is a contraction of the words they and are. Simple really.

To summarise: I believe that Holland will have to be on top of their game if they're going to beat Spain and i think they will be. There you have it; Holland to win the World Cup.  >:D

Hup Holland Hup.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #18: Jul 09, 2010 04:32:58 pm
      Spain to win this one.

Howard Webb.....mmmmm.....not sure of this appointment.

Doesnt see anything in the Premier League so lets hope he doesnt bollox this one up.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: FINALÉ: Spain v Netherlands, 11 June 19:30 - BBC1, ITV1, RTE
      Reply #19: Jul 11, 2010 09:41:17 am
      Howard Webb?? I wonder, is there any Mancs playing today to benefit from his appointment?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #20: Jul 11, 2010 11:34:10 am
      Forgot that this was tonight!

Superb. Should be a very good encounter this.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #21: Jul 11, 2010 11:48:37 am
      I don't care who wins as long as it's 5-4.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #22: Jul 11, 2010 11:57:40 am
      I'll be watching this with 200k people on the museumsquare here in Amsterdam, can't wait! I've been nervous all week :P

Quick Reply