Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Paul Scharner (free agent)

Read 5573 times
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,730 posts |
      Paul Scharner (free agent)
      Jul 10, 2010 01:10:52 pm
      Paul Scharner is set to hold talks over a possible dream move to Liverpool next week.

The versatile 30-year-old will meet with Reds officials to discuss a switch after becoming a free agent when his existing contract with Wigan Athletic expired, bringing to an end his four-year stay at the DW Stadium.

Roy Hodgson remains a keen admirer of Scharner after failing to sign him three times times when he was Fulham manager and was understood to be considering a move for him prior to succeeding Rafael Benitez at Anfield.

Valentin Hobel, the Austria international's agent, expects his client to be charged with filling the void in defensive midfield left by Javier Mascherano's impending departure if negotiations are successful.

"Roy Hodgson and Paul Scharner - this is a special relationship," he insisted.

"Hodgson thinks that Paul's strengths in midfield are better than his attributes in central defence."

Premier League rivals Aston Villa and Sunderland remain interested in the colourful centre-back but Hobel revealed that Scharner, who can also play in midfield, would relish a dream move to Merseyside.

He added: "Liverpool would be a dream, of course, but we are in contact with several clubs. Because he is a free transfer, he can choose."

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/129783-ex-wigan-athletic-midfielder-paul-scharner-set-to-hold-liverpool-fc-talks-next-week.html

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2010 02:29:43 pm by Bpatel, Reason: Please post the whole article and not just a link. »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Paul Scharner (free agent)
      Reply #1: Jul 10, 2010 01:26:14 pm
      I wouldn't be too upset if we signed him on a free.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #2: Jul 10, 2010 01:30:40 pm
      for free, yes . don't think his wage demands are high , so why not ,
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3: Jul 10, 2010 01:55:30 pm
      I see we are scraping the bottom of the barell again.

This is no reflection on Hodgson but these are not the calibre of players we need to get back in that top 4. This is a reflection on our owners, but we all know that.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #4: Jul 10, 2010 02:01:28 pm
      Looked like a very handy player a couple of seasons back but faded away slightly. If Roy can get the best out of him then Scharner could be a very good signing, free or not.
      jack_lfc
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts |
      Reply #5: Jul 10, 2010 02:22:58 pm
      be a good player to get if on a free
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #6: Jul 10, 2010 02:41:42 pm
      It's depth so stop complaining :P i'd take quite a few mediocre freebies just to fill the squad then use whatever money we have to get in 1 or 2 good 1st teamers
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #7: Jul 10, 2010 02:48:59 pm
      It's depth so stop complaining :P i'd take quite a few mediocre freebies just to fill the squad then use whatever money we have to get in 1 or 2 good 1st teamers

We already have mediocre players at no cost. Just promote the youth squad. At least they have hope of turning in to decent players.

Scharner is OK. He can play many positions from defense, midfield to even attack. In that respect he would be a decent squad player.

Tell you what though, this 'big' summer transwer window isn't starting off on the same track as City's is it? ;D.

Our big window is 2 free transfers? (if this has any substance) they (City) have so far spent £60M + on the likes of yaya toure and Silva.

paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #8: Jul 10, 2010 03:14:39 pm
      I see we are scraping the bottom of the barell again.

This is no reflection on Hodgson but these are not the calibre of players we need to get back in that top 4. This is a reflection on our owners, but we all know that.

We might as well get used to it for the time being mate. Until the owners are gone, we'll be shopping in the bargain bin.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #9: Jul 10, 2010 03:16:11 pm
      If we keep on filling our squad with these half-decent and most of the time dreadful free transfers how are we going to comply to the new squad rules.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #10: Jul 10, 2010 03:17:23 pm
      Not anywhere near good enough for us IMO. But then again it's not like we have the money to spend on quality.
      ozzyred
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts |
      Reply #11: Jul 10, 2010 03:24:18 pm
      i think he would be a gd signing he always played well when ive seen him play, just dont like his crazy hairstyles ;D
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #12: Jul 10, 2010 03:36:21 pm
      Decent utility player.

Not really 'Liverpool standard' as such, but he'd come in handy as a squad player of the course of a season I bet.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #13: Jul 10, 2010 04:48:29 pm
      Four goals, four assists in the League last season and ten goals, nine assists in total (for a poor Wigan team) suggests, to me, he ain't too shoddy.

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #14: Jul 10, 2010 04:52:52 pm
      He's an absolute nuisance in the air and that's something we've been lacking for a while bar Sotis.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #15: Jul 10, 2010 06:09:36 pm
      So it starts........... :(

Nowhere near good enough for a team challenging for the top 4 (or more realistically Europe league again next season)

As fields of anny road has said, we'd be better off using the youngsters we already have, after all how are we gonna unearth the future stars if they cant get a game ahead of average players like this?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #16: Jul 10, 2010 06:14:28 pm
      F**k me what an extremely average player.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #17: Jul 10, 2010 06:28:02 pm
      What a waste of wages if we went out and sign a 30 year player who played for nothing but lower level clubs in the Premiership. I hope this just remains as a rumor.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #18: Jul 10, 2010 07:04:15 pm
      Nothing wrong with Scharner. As a free agent he'll be a very good addition to the squad. Can fill in as a CDM and CB when required. We may not need to sign 2 players for those 2 positions. Plus he is terrific in the air, something our squad lacks.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #19: Jul 10, 2010 07:17:54 pm
      A extremely average player and 30 as well, shows how far the club has fallen in the last couple of years that this lad is considered a decent signing by people on here.

Pre the yanks a signing like this would have being considered a joke.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #20: Jul 10, 2010 07:49:59 pm
      Would do alright I reckon, especially if we sell Masch. I mean I'd rather have him than Spearing/Plessis.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #21: Jul 10, 2010 08:14:30 pm
      why?come on Roy, is this the best you can come up with.Not Lfc quality.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #22: Jul 10, 2010 08:17:17 pm
      A extremely average player and 30 as well, shows how far the club has fallen in the last couple of years that this lad is considered a decent signing by people on here.

His stats (and overall performances) against the same teams as we face, week in week out, are a lot more than "average" when compared with the F***ing "average" of players we've had pulling on a Red jersey for a few years now.

So what if he's 30? So was Sotis when he signed for us and It ain't like we'd shelling out any big money on him FFS.

I'm sick to F**k with punters, on here dismissing players as not being good enough to play for Liverpool. I'll ask you straight: who the F**k is "good enough"?

Give the soundbites a F***ing rest, will you?

Quick Reply