Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Paul Scharner (free agent)

Read 5574 times
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,730 posts |
      Paul Scharner (free agent)
      Jul 10, 2010 01:10:52 pm
      Paul Scharner is set to hold talks over a possible dream move to Liverpool next week.

The versatile 30-year-old will meet with Reds officials to discuss a switch after becoming a free agent when his existing contract with Wigan Athletic expired, bringing to an end his four-year stay at the DW Stadium.

Roy Hodgson remains a keen admirer of Scharner after failing to sign him three times times when he was Fulham manager and was understood to be considering a move for him prior to succeeding Rafael Benitez at Anfield.

Valentin Hobel, the Austria international's agent, expects his client to be charged with filling the void in defensive midfield left by Javier Mascherano's impending departure if negotiations are successful.

"Roy Hodgson and Paul Scharner - this is a special relationship," he insisted.

"Hodgson thinks that Paul's strengths in midfield are better than his attributes in central defence."

Premier League rivals Aston Villa and Sunderland remain interested in the colourful centre-back but Hobel revealed that Scharner, who can also play in midfield, would relish a dream move to Merseyside.

He added: "Liverpool would be a dream, of course, but we are in contact with several clubs. Because he is a free transfer, he can choose."

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/129783-ex-wigan-athletic-midfielder-paul-scharner-set-to-hold-liverpool-fc-talks-next-week.html

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2010 02:29:43 pm by Bpatel, Reason: Please post the whole article and not just a link. »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Paul Scharner (free agent)
      Reply #1: Jul 10, 2010 01:26:14 pm
      I wouldn't be too upset if we signed him on a free.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #2: Jul 10, 2010 01:30:40 pm
      for free, yes . don't think his wage demands are high , so why not ,
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3: Jul 10, 2010 01:55:30 pm
      I see we are scraping the bottom of the barell again.

This is no reflection on Hodgson but these are not the calibre of players we need to get back in that top 4. This is a reflection on our owners, but we all know that.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #4: Jul 10, 2010 02:01:28 pm
      Looked like a very handy player a couple of seasons back but faded away slightly. If Roy can get the best out of him then Scharner could be a very good signing, free or not.
      jack_lfc
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts |
      Reply #5: Jul 10, 2010 02:22:58 pm
      be a good player to get if on a free
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #6: Jul 10, 2010 02:41:42 pm
      It's depth so stop complaining :P i'd take quite a few mediocre freebies just to fill the squad then use whatever money we have to get in 1 or 2 good 1st teamers
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #7: Jul 10, 2010 02:48:59 pm
      It's depth so stop complaining :P i'd take quite a few mediocre freebies just to fill the squad then use whatever money we have to get in 1 or 2 good 1st teamers

We already have mediocre players at no cost. Just promote the youth squad. At least they have hope of turning in to decent players.

Scharner is OK. He can play many positions from defense, midfield to even attack. In that respect he would be a decent squad player.

Tell you what though, this 'big' summer transwer window isn't starting off on the same track as City's is it? ;D.

Our big window is 2 free transfers? (if this has any substance) they (City) have so far spent ÂŁ60M + on the likes of yaya toure and Silva.

paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #8: Jul 10, 2010 03:14:39 pm
      I see we are scraping the bottom of the barell again.

This is no reflection on Hodgson but these are not the calibre of players we need to get back in that top 4. This is a reflection on our owners, but we all know that.

We might as well get used to it for the time being mate. Until the owners are gone, we'll be shopping in the bargain bin.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #9: Jul 10, 2010 03:16:11 pm
      If we keep on filling our squad with these half-decent and most of the time dreadful free transfers how are we going to comply to the new squad rules.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #10: Jul 10, 2010 03:17:23 pm
      Not anywhere near good enough for us IMO. But then again it's not like we have the money to spend on quality.
      ozzyred
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts |
      Reply #11: Jul 10, 2010 03:24:18 pm
      i think he would be a gd signing he always played well when ive seen him play, just dont like his crazy hairstyles ;D
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #12: Jul 10, 2010 03:36:21 pm
      Decent utility player.

Not really 'Liverpool standard' as such, but he'd come in handy as a squad player of the course of a season I bet.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #13: Jul 10, 2010 04:48:29 pm
      Four goals, four assists in the League last season and ten goals, nine assists in total (for a poor Wigan team) suggests, to me, he ain't too shoddy.

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #14: Jul 10, 2010 04:52:52 pm
      He's an absolute nuisance in the air and that's something we've been lacking for a while bar Sotis.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #15: Jul 10, 2010 06:09:36 pm
      So it starts........... :(

Nowhere near good enough for a team challenging for the top 4 (or more realistically Europe league again next season)

As fields of anny road has said, we'd be better off using the youngsters we already have, after all how are we gonna unearth the future stars if they cant get a game ahead of average players like this?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #16: Jul 10, 2010 06:14:28 pm
      F**k me what an extremely average player.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #17: Jul 10, 2010 06:28:02 pm
      What a waste of wages if we went out and sign a 30 year player who played for nothing but lower level clubs in the Premiership. I hope this just remains as a rumor.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #18: Jul 10, 2010 07:04:15 pm
      Nothing wrong with Scharner. As a free agent he'll be a very good addition to the squad. Can fill in as a CDM and CB when required. We may not need to sign 2 players for those 2 positions. Plus he is terrific in the air, something our squad lacks.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #19: Jul 10, 2010 07:17:54 pm
      A extremely average player and 30 as well, shows how far the club has fallen in the last couple of years that this lad is considered a decent signing by people on here.

Pre the yanks a signing like this would have being considered a joke.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #20: Jul 10, 2010 07:49:59 pm
      Would do alright I reckon, especially if we sell Masch. I mean I'd rather have him than Spearing/Plessis.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #21: Jul 10, 2010 08:14:30 pm
      why?come on Roy, is this the best you can come up with.Not Lfc quality.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #22: Jul 10, 2010 08:17:17 pm
      A extremely average player and 30 as well, shows how far the club has fallen in the last couple of years that this lad is considered a decent signing by people on here.

His stats (and overall performances) against the same teams as we face, week in week out, are a lot more than "average" when compared with the F***ing "average" of players we've had pulling on a Red jersey for a few years now.

So what if he's 30? So was Sotis when he signed for us and It ain't like we'd shelling out any big money on him FFS.

I'm sick to F**k with punters, on here dismissing players as not being good enough to play for Liverpool. I'll ask you straight: who the F**k is "good enough"?

Give the soundbites a F***ing rest, will you?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #23: Jul 10, 2010 08:26:02 pm
      Paul Scharner was an average player for Wigan, extremely average, no F***ing way am I going to start saying limited players like this are good signings.

We are Liverpool not Fulham maybe he would be a good signing for Fulham not us. Maybe Bad boy the reason players are being dismissed as not good enough for Liverpool at the moment is because we have never been linked to more average ordinary players ya the club is looking into the financial abyss but that doesn't suddenly make ordinary players good.

Paul Scharner is possibly the most unambitious link i've seen yet to the club.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #24: Jul 10, 2010 08:28:55 pm
      Not soundbites either Badboy I'm giving my opinion on what I think of a ordinary player is that ok F***ing ok
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #25: Jul 10, 2010 08:30:22 pm
      Good squad player, nothing more than that though.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #26: Jul 10, 2010 10:51:24 pm
      Not soundbites either Badboy I'm giving my opinion on what I think of a ordinary player is that ok F***ing ok

Yes.  ;D

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #27: Jul 10, 2010 11:37:43 pm
      Didn't expect the F***ing to come out like that :)
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #28: Jul 10, 2010 11:39:13 pm
      Not a Liverpool player...No thanks!
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #29: Jul 11, 2010 06:15:06 am
      Not a Liverpool player...No thanks!
      So Define a liverpool player please?

Scharner would be a Good Signing IMO.
      khawja
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 103 posts |
      Reply #30: Jul 11, 2010 08:10:40 am
      He wouldnt be a good signing... liverpool cant afford good signings anyways !!. He could be a decent cover for defensive midfield role (which would soon be vacated by mascherano). And we arnt paying anything for the lad.. We could use the mascherano cash on attacking purpose and let lucas and scharner handle the defensive part of the midfield.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #31: Jul 11, 2010 09:30:12 am
      Didn't expect the F***ing to come out like that :)

Don't let it F***ing happen again, potty mouth. You're better than that young man.  ;D

Scharner - Tried, tested and free....just like your first Mitsubishi.   >:D
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #32: Jul 11, 2010 10:16:42 am
      So Define a liverpool player please?

Scharner would be a Good Signing IMO.

He was decent for Wigan last season but for us who I believe will still be challenging the top 4 next season he isnt good enough. If he had been a constant performer for Wigan in the last four years why havent we or any of the top teams been linked with him in the past?

Ok, free transfers are appealing for us at the moment with the restrictions Roy is working under but aside from Joe Cole there arent that many around who are up to the mark for me.
      Would rather let one of the youngsters have opportunity, this lad is a centre back / midfielder so if needed why not give Kelly or Ayala a run at CB or Spearing CM otherwise there is no point us having a reserve / youth policy at all.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #33: Jul 11, 2010 11:07:43 am
      Ok, free transfers are appealing for us at the moment with the restrictions Roy is working under but aside from Joe Cole there arent that many around who are up to the mark for me.
      Would rather let one of the youngsters have opportunity, this lad is a centre back / midfielder so if needed why not give Kelly or Ayala a run at CB or Spearing CM

Who's to say they won't kelvo?

In my opinion, experienced, utility cover, (for free), can't actually be considered a bad move in such a scenario.

Please take into account too the fact that; Scharner made more of a positive contribution (in terms of goals/assists) than ALL of our Centre Halves and our two 'holding' Mid-fielders put together (whilst playing for a poor team AGAINST the same opponents as us)....and his potential signing (i would suggest) should cause NO concern.

If we would have had an experienced (free), left-back, to cover for young Insua last season for example; things may have panned out differently for both the lad and the club.

liverpool9292
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts |
      Reply #34: Jul 11, 2010 01:18:13 pm
      He would be a good squad player in my opinion!!
      iamrafa
      • Forum David Johnson

• 236 posts |
      • Any chance of the old job back ?
      Reply #35: Jul 11, 2010 02:02:33 pm
      Scharner is a good defender. We have no money and nothing to lose signing free agents.
      poolio_54
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 376 posts | 11 
      Reply #36: Jul 11, 2010 02:19:55 pm
      Time to start having some faith in Roy as we are going to have to start signing players like this who a couple of seasons ago would have been completely off radar. We just need to have faith and get behind him after all the reason why we got him was because he's done well on shoe string budgets in the past.

It's should a sad situation to be in though for the last couple of years during the summer it's felt like there was barely a player in the world who was beyond our reach, and now this. Lets hope Roy can lay the foundations of a solid and sustainable squad, we get new owners and the other top clubs get themselves in the same difficulties as us. At least that way we'll come out of the seemingly impending storm ahead of the curve.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #37: Jul 11, 2010 06:32:56 pm
      Decent utility player.

Not really 'Liverpool standard' as such, but he'd come in handy as a squad player of the course of a season I bet.
      I agree....Could buy worse and he is free
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #38: Jul 11, 2010 06:59:04 pm
      Looks like this might happen, his agent is talking about Liverpool being his dream move. He said Hodgson tried to sign him 3 times at Fulham and again before he left so fairly obvious he is a fan.

Personally as I've said earlier I think he is a very mediocre player and a sign of the times with our American owners we are signing a lad like this.

If he was linked 2 years ago it would have been met with complete disdain by fans.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #39: Jul 12, 2010 01:40:23 am
      I'm not impressed with this at all.

He is a decent player but an example of what I was taking about in another thread about the youth system. This is another player who will stop the development of some of our younger players.

If we were to sign 3, 4 or 5 quality players plus Scharner on a free then maybe but I don't think we are in this position this summer.

If he was linked 2 years ago it would have been met with complete disdain by fans.

This should be the case now as we should not be happy to settle for players like this just because our c**t owners have put us into this position. We may be in this position but it doesn't mean we have to be be satisfied by players of this average caliber.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #40: Jul 12, 2010 05:50:42 am
      If we sign him, H&G will use his wages as an excuse for the low transfer budget again.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #41: Jul 12, 2010 11:16:53 am
      Versatile player who could offer us a few things in a number of areas. I like him. I wouldn't spend any money on him but i would take him on the free. In some ways, however, i am not liking this story simply as it may indicate that Masch will leave :'(.
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #42: Jul 12, 2010 12:11:22 pm
      If he was 25/26 then I would say yes good squad addition, but at 30.....I believe we need to look to the future not band aiding with Players that are now on the wrong side of the tracks. I have no problem with age and experience, but that should have come through the club, not brought in at this late stage unless world class. He will have no resell value and will eat into the wage pot, which is part of the Transfer pot thanks to the Yanks.

Fingers crossed this is an agent gabbing off for a move.
      imcfitz
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts |
      Reply #43: Jul 12, 2010 02:37:49 pm
      i'd imagine its not the kind of signing torres/stevie would be encouraged by. did we honestly expect anymore the mediocrity while those goons are in charge??
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #44: Jul 12, 2010 09:09:04 pm
      If he was 25/26 then I would say yes good squad addition, but at 30.....I believe we need to look to the future not band aiding with Players that are now on the wrong side of the tracks. I have no problem with age and experience, but that should have come through the club, not brought in at this late stage unless world class. He will have no resell value and will eat into the wage pot, which is part of the Transfer pot thanks to the Yanks.

Fingers crossed this is an agent gabbing off for a move.

Gary Mac was never 'World class' (God I hate that phrase, vastly overused & usually on very good but not great players) but was one hell of a signing.  But I don't think Scharner is even close to Gary's ability.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #45: Jul 12, 2010 09:11:20 pm
      Wouldn't be comparing Gary Mac and Sharner.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #46: Jul 13, 2010 12:57:08 pm
      Let's face it there is a reason why we are being linked to players like Scharner!!

We're F***ing skint. Simple as, really.

dodgy
      • Forum Ian St John

• 426 posts | 14 
      Reply #47: Jul 13, 2010 01:13:12 pm
      why?come on Roy, is this the best you can come up with.Not Lfc quality.

So you know Roy is definately after him them or do you think it may be his agent trying to drum up some interest in him or the papers making it up
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #48: Jul 13, 2010 04:57:41 pm
      Let's face it there is a reason why we are being linked to players like Scharner!!

We're F***ing skint. Simple as, really.

True mate but let's not forget that Roy has already commented on how thin the squad appears.
      If (big IF) he is interested in Scharner then that's not necessarily saying that he wants him instead of his top targets. This could just be Roy bolstering the squad with a few steady, experienced EPL players on the cheap. No harm in that.
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #49: Jul 14, 2010 05:58:57 pm
      Yeah I wouldn't compare Gary mac to him at all, he was a unique signing. A player that will always be remebered for the right reasons, he deserved his time in a LFC shirt. Scharner does not.

Although hook him up with James Beatie...!!
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #50: Jul 15, 2010 12:46:42 am
      Could be another Sotis!!
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #51: Aug 29, 2010 04:01:58 pm
      For those who are worried when they seen him at Anfield in the 1st half, there is a more logical reason!

Scharner emerges as final Albion summer target
      ALBION are looking into the feasibility of signing Paul Scharner on a free transfer.

The Baggies were alerted to the Austrian’s availability following his release from Wigan.

The player was close to joining Sunderland earlier this summer – to link up with ex-boss Steve Bruce – but he still remains without a club.

Scharner, who can play in defence or midfield, has a wealth of Premier League experience having made more than 140 appearances for the Latics during a four-year spell.

Albion are keen to bring in a player who can offer cover in defence and in the defensive midfield roles having missed out on Marc Wilson.

But the deal for Scharner, who would be Albion’s final deal of the summer, is far from clear cut, with talks continuing between the player’s representatives and the Baggies.

Albion will also want to ensure the player is fit enough having missed out on pre-season.

Roberto Di Matteo has conceded that Albion are running out of time to bring in any more players before the transfer deadline.

The Baggies, who yesterday completed the signing of Marc-Antoine Fortune, have until tea-time on Tuesday to strengthen their squad.

Di Matteo has turned to Scharner after missing out on Wilson, who looks set to move to Stoke.

“Our bid for Wilson was rejected so that leaves us out of the race for him,” the Italian told the Birmingham Mail.

“We are looking for a versatile player and he showed he could do that.

“As for other players coming? Well, we shall see.

“We have to fill in the list of players on September 1 and will have to think about the squad.

“But I don’t expect too much more to happen, in or out. I can’t see an awful lot more.”

The arrival of Fortune could prompt the departure of at least one striker in the coming weeks.

Simon Cox and Chris Wood are expected to be made available for loan deals once the loan window re-opens for Championship clubs, provided Albion suffer no further injuries.

And the club will also need to come to a decision over high-earner Luke Moore, who has one year left on his current deal but has slipped way down the pecking order. Albion have had no offers for him as yet.

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-bromwich-albion-fc-news/2010/08/28/scharner-emerges-as-final-albion-summer-target-97319-27154523/
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #52: Aug 29, 2010 05:12:24 pm
      Phew.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #53: Aug 29, 2010 05:31:25 pm
      Thank F**k for that we have enough limited players signing for us at the moment.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #54: Aug 29, 2010 05:32:37 pm
      I don't think I could have coped if we had signed Sharner after getting Koncheskey.

Too much excitment to handle ;D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #55: Aug 29, 2010 05:33:08 pm
      Gutted :(

Oh wait, i mean thank F**k for that.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #56: Aug 29, 2010 05:36:00 pm
      And then Carlton Cole on top of that, F**k me we could have just changed or name to Fulham then.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #57: Aug 29, 2010 05:44:30 pm
      It's what the F stands for in LFC.
      lerpwl_am_byth
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts |
      Reply #58: Aug 30, 2010 09:36:13 am
      lock this, he's going to west brom not liverpool :) thank god
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #59: Aug 30, 2010 07:46:56 pm
      Signed for WBA: http://www.wba.co.uk/page/News/0,,10366~2139777,00.html

I'd have preferred him on a free than paying for Poulsen to be honest.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #60: Aug 30, 2010 08:20:12 pm
      This can be locked then.

I know what you're saying Diego.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #61: Aug 31, 2010 10:00:26 pm

Quick Reply