Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Paul Scharner (free agent)

Read 5575 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Paul Scharner (free agent)
      Reply #23: Jul 10, 2010 08:26:02 pm
      Paul Scharner was an average player for Wigan, extremely average, no F***ing way am I going to start saying limited players like this are good signings.

We are Liverpool not Fulham maybe he would be a good signing for Fulham not us. Maybe Bad boy the reason players are being dismissed as not good enough for Liverpool at the moment is because we have never been linked to more average ordinary players ya the club is looking into the financial abyss but that doesn't suddenly make ordinary players good.

Paul Scharner is possibly the most unambitious link i've seen yet to the club.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #24: Jul 10, 2010 08:28:55 pm
      Not soundbites either Badboy I'm giving my opinion on what I think of a ordinary player is that ok F***ing ok
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #25: Jul 10, 2010 08:30:22 pm
      Good squad player, nothing more than that though.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #26: Jul 10, 2010 10:51:24 pm
      Not soundbites either Badboy I'm giving my opinion on what I think of a ordinary player is that ok F***ing ok

Yes.  ;D

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #27: Jul 10, 2010 11:37:43 pm
      Didn't expect the F***ing to come out like that :)
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #28: Jul 10, 2010 11:39:13 pm
      Not a Liverpool player...No thanks!
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #29: Jul 11, 2010 06:15:06 am
      Not a Liverpool player...No thanks!
      So Define a liverpool player please?

Scharner would be a Good Signing IMO.
      khawja
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 103 posts |
      Reply #30: Jul 11, 2010 08:10:40 am
      He wouldnt be a good signing... liverpool cant afford good signings anyways !!. He could be a decent cover for defensive midfield role (which would soon be vacated by mascherano). And we arnt paying anything for the lad.. We could use the mascherano cash on attacking purpose and let lucas and scharner handle the defensive part of the midfield.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #31: Jul 11, 2010 09:30:12 am
      Didn't expect the F***ing to come out like that :)

Don't let it F***ing happen again, potty mouth. You're better than that young man.  ;D

Scharner - Tried, tested and free....just like your first Mitsubishi.   >:D
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #32: Jul 11, 2010 10:16:42 am
      So Define a liverpool player please?

Scharner would be a Good Signing IMO.

He was decent for Wigan last season but for us who I believe will still be challenging the top 4 next season he isnt good enough. If he had been a constant performer for Wigan in the last four years why havent we or any of the top teams been linked with him in the past?

Ok, free transfers are appealing for us at the moment with the restrictions Roy is working under but aside from Joe Cole there arent that many around who are up to the mark for me.
      Would rather let one of the youngsters have opportunity, this lad is a centre back / midfielder so if needed why not give Kelly or Ayala a run at CB or Spearing CM otherwise there is no point us having a reserve / youth policy at all.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #33: Jul 11, 2010 11:07:43 am
      Ok, free transfers are appealing for us at the moment with the restrictions Roy is working under but aside from Joe Cole there arent that many around who are up to the mark for me.
      Would rather let one of the youngsters have opportunity, this lad is a centre back / midfielder so if needed why not give Kelly or Ayala a run at CB or Spearing CM

Who's to say they won't kelvo?

In my opinion, experienced, utility cover, (for free), can't actually be considered a bad move in such a scenario.

Please take into account too the fact that; Scharner made more of a positive contribution (in terms of goals/assists) than ALL of our Centre Halves and our two 'holding' Mid-fielders put together (whilst playing for a poor team AGAINST the same opponents as us)....and his potential signing (i would suggest) should cause NO concern.

If we would have had an experienced (free), left-back, to cover for young Insua last season for example; things may have panned out differently for both the lad and the club.

liverpool9292
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts |
      Reply #34: Jul 11, 2010 01:18:13 pm
      He would be a good squad player in my opinion!!
      iamrafa
      • Forum David Johnson

• 236 posts |
      • Any chance of the old job back ?
      Reply #35: Jul 11, 2010 02:02:33 pm
      Scharner is a good defender. We have no money and nothing to lose signing free agents.
      poolio_54
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 376 posts | 11 
      Reply #36: Jul 11, 2010 02:19:55 pm
      Time to start having some faith in Roy as we are going to have to start signing players like this who a couple of seasons ago would have been completely off radar. We just need to have faith and get behind him after all the reason why we got him was because he's done well on shoe string budgets in the past.

It's should a sad situation to be in though for the last couple of years during the summer it's felt like there was barely a player in the world who was beyond our reach, and now this. Lets hope Roy can lay the foundations of a solid and sustainable squad, we get new owners and the other top clubs get themselves in the same difficulties as us. At least that way we'll come out of the seemingly impending storm ahead of the curve.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #37: Jul 11, 2010 06:32:56 pm
      Decent utility player.

Not really 'Liverpool standard' as such, but he'd come in handy as a squad player of the course of a season I bet.
      I agree....Could buy worse and he is free
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #38: Jul 11, 2010 06:59:04 pm
      Looks like this might happen, his agent is talking about Liverpool being his dream move. He said Hodgson tried to sign him 3 times at Fulham and again before he left so fairly obvious he is a fan.

Personally as I've said earlier I think he is a very mediocre player and a sign of the times with our American owners we are signing a lad like this.

If he was linked 2 years ago it would have been met with complete disdain by fans.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #39: Jul 12, 2010 01:40:23 am
      I'm not impressed with this at all.

He is a decent player but an example of what I was taking about in another thread about the youth system. This is another player who will stop the development of some of our younger players.

If we were to sign 3, 4 or 5 quality players plus Scharner on a free then maybe but I don't think we are in this position this summer.

If he was linked 2 years ago it would have been met with complete disdain by fans.

This should be the case now as we should not be happy to settle for players like this just because our c**t owners have put us into this position. We may be in this position but it doesn't mean we have to be be satisfied by players of this average caliber.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #40: Jul 12, 2010 05:50:42 am
      If we sign him, H&G will use his wages as an excuse for the low transfer budget again.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #41: Jul 12, 2010 11:16:53 am
      Versatile player who could offer us a few things in a number of areas. I like him. I wouldn't spend any money on him but i would take him on the free. In some ways, however, i am not liking this story simply as it may indicate that Masch will leave :'(.
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #42: Jul 12, 2010 12:11:22 pm
      If he was 25/26 then I would say yes good squad addition, but at 30.....I believe we need to look to the future not band aiding with Players that are now on the wrong side of the tracks. I have no problem with age and experience, but that should have come through the club, not brought in at this late stage unless world class. He will have no resell value and will eat into the wage pot, which is part of the Transfer pot thanks to the Yanks.

Fingers crossed this is an agent gabbing off for a move.
      imcfitz
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts |
      Reply #43: Jul 12, 2010 02:37:49 pm
      i'd imagine its not the kind of signing torres/stevie would be encouraged by. did we honestly expect anymore the mediocrity while those goons are in charge??
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #44: Jul 12, 2010 09:09:04 pm
      If he was 25/26 then I would say yes good squad addition, but at 30.....I believe we need to look to the future not band aiding with Players that are now on the wrong side of the tracks. I have no problem with age and experience, but that should have come through the club, not brought in at this late stage unless world class. He will have no resell value and will eat into the wage pot, which is part of the Transfer pot thanks to the Yanks.

Fingers crossed this is an agent gabbing off for a move.

Gary Mac was never 'World class' (God I hate that phrase, vastly overused & usually on very good but not great players) but was one hell of a signing.  But I don't think Scharner is even close to Gary's ability.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #45: Jul 12, 2010 09:11:20 pm
      Wouldn't be comparing Gary Mac and Sharner.

Quick Reply