Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

FIFA World Cup 2010 - what do you guys think?

Read 1238 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      FIFA World Cup 2010 - what do you guys think?
      Jul 12, 2010 04:33:59 am
      Gonna try to keep this short and simple.

Surely we would have loved to see teams like England, Brazil and Argentina go further but in the end, I think the last four of the competition reflects the best four teams in the tournament.

The final brought Spain and Netherlands together. While the Dutch have been scoring alot and overcoming a very difficult Brazil side, they failed to beat Spain. Spain, four 1-0 wins in a row, made them World champions for the very first time. They haven't been scoring alot but have managed to keep to their belief in their style of play that is good enough to get them to where they were and what they wanted.

It was pretty much everything I expected it to be - Spain, Netherlands and Germany reaching pretty far.

One disappointing part of the tournament is probably many big names failing to live up to their expectations. The likes of Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo, Frank Lampard, Kaka, Robin van Persie, and Franck Ribery couldn't take the tournament by storm. Lionel Messi, wasn't exactly at his best but did better than the others, IMO and to be fair on Cesc Fabregas and Fernando Torres, they returned quickly to action from pretty bad injuries. However, this disappointment is probably overshadowed by the rise of various youngsters such as Alexis Sanchez, Mesut Ozil, and Thomas Muller.

The usual players like Wesley Sneijder, Arjen Robben, David Villa, Xabi Alonso, Andres Iniesta, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Miroslav Klose and Asamoah Gyan were impressive, IMO.

Some great goals were scored as well. Gio van Bronckhorst against Uruguay, Mesut Ozil against Ghana, David Villa against Honduras and Chile, Wesley Sneijder against Japan, and probably Forlan's goals against South Africa, Germany, Ghana and Netherlands.

There were upsets, there were things we expected to see and there were great games in this summer's tournament. Though there were many weird refereeing decisions, I would say it was a pretty good world cup. It wasn't ideal, nor was it really disappointing.

What do you guys think?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,335 posts | 2836 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 - what do you guys think?
      Reply #1: Jul 12, 2010 04:53:27 am
      I think it was one of the best World Cups I watched.

It started very slow, with very few entertaining WC debuts, but got a lot better after that.

People love to complain about games being boring but they are probably the ones who would of said, back in 1970, that Pelé and Tostão couldn't play together. Obviously a bit more of attacking football would be nice, but there were still some great games there.

And it's not only the quality of play that matters. World Cup is a lot more than "just" football, IMO. When you see a North Korean crying when his country's anthem is being played, you know what I mean. There were some unbeliveable moments (Suarez saving Uruguay in the last minute being my favourite) and the fact we had WC final between 2 teams that had never won it before is fantastic, I think.

I'm missing it already. Can't wait for 2014.
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #2: Jul 12, 2010 11:53:45 am
      What a boring world cup to be honest.

Expected so much more.

Too many teams scared to go forward and attack, defending a 1-0 win.

I want the big teams to thrash teams 8-0, I have lowered my hopes for 2014
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #3: Jul 12, 2010 12:17:12 pm
      Unlike many, i thought this was a very good World  Cup. Don't get me wrong, some of the best players didn't show up but we saw some great teams compete. I don't want to see teams beating other teams 8-0, i perfer to see a competitive match and that is what we got in most games.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #4: Jul 12, 2010 12:38:59 pm
      I actually enjoyed watching some of the smaller nations (in football terms) like north Korea playing. Paragauy where the surprise package for me.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #5: Jul 12, 2010 12:46:57 pm
      It felt like it was lacking something slightly. Not sure what it was.

Maybe when England went out it lost its appeal slightly. I'm not sure.

Still enjoyed watching it however, and I watched nearly all the matches.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #6: Jul 12, 2010 02:59:02 pm
      Not a bad World Cup, have seen better and let's face it, that Jabulani ball didn't help.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #7: Jul 12, 2010 05:39:41 pm
      I would rate this World Cup a 4/10

There were too many sides looking not to lose rather to win, stars didn't show up in this competition, VUVUZELA'S which result in poor atmosphere at the games. The World Cup did have it moments but overall I didn't think it compared well to World Cup of pasts though the team that did win is really a golden generation ala France in late 90's.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #8: Jul 12, 2010 05:42:31 pm
      7.5/10 for me.

Started slow, got better and better with each round, with more and more goals.

I'm going to hate this next four-year wait :(
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #9: Jul 12, 2010 05:44:27 pm
      i seriously enjoyed watching certain games at this world cup:

south africa v mexico - great opening game, atmosphere was electric
      France v mexico - great game, good to see the french in turmoil
      slovenia v usa - awesome game - both teams went for it
      slovakia v italy - really fantastic final 20 mins
      portugal v north korea  - 7-0 wonderful 2nd half blitz
      spain v switzerland - shocking result

germany v england - wonderful counter attack footy by the germans
      uruguay v ghana - the last 2 minutes -WOW!
      germany v argentina - great result

spain v holland - filthy by the dutch, but class prevailed

my favourite goal was david villa vs hondras

and player of the tornament was forlan
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #10: Jul 12, 2010 05:53:30 pm
      I think you are being a little harsh Adam , I think it deserved 6 or 7 / 10 . Ok , so the Vuvzuelas and that Jabulani ball didn't help at all especially with the first round of game being very boring, a slow start , but that's because nobody wants to take a chance in the first game with 2 more games in that stage . But from the second round of games it got interesting and the competition heated up . There were some fantastic games with fantastic goals , although the final game wasn't so great the best team won in playing fair and fantastic football . The African countries really did their continent proud .There were some shocking ref decisions but overall the ref standard was pretty ok . I wasn't enjoying this tournament at the begging but it progressed as it went on .
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #11: Jul 13, 2010 02:31:14 pm
      I thought United States vs Slovenia was a pretty good match. So was Italy vs Slovakia.

Wouldn't say Portugal 7-0 North Korea was a great game because let's face it, it was probably going to be one-sided even though Brazil only edged them 2-1.

Most of us, including me, probably expected some thrashing from most games but we surely didn't expect some teams to get thrashed either.

Quick Reply