Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Lucas (Palermo)

Read 13359 times
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Re: Lucas (Palermo)
      Reply #92: Jul 15, 2010 05:38:57 pm
      Oh dear i'm behind the times. Never heard this one before, ahwell Red, yer right mate.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #93: Jul 15, 2010 06:40:58 pm
      Personally, and i know a lot won't agree with me, but i am not in favour of selling Lucas. I still think he is a very very good player and lets face it, if we sell him, who are we realistically going to replace him with?
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #94: Jul 15, 2010 07:55:56 pm
      Personally, and I know a lot won't agree with me, but I am not in favour of selling Lucas. I still think he is a very very good player and lets face it, if we sell him, who are we realistically going to replace him with?

That's fair enough mate. Personally i think he's one of the worst players i've ever seen play for us. If we could get £8 million for Lucas i'd bite their hands off. What i do find strange is this, why are there no big Clubs in for him?. I've a feeling the outcome of this transfer will be determined by the outcome of the Mascherano saga.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #95: Jul 15, 2010 08:14:21 pm
      What i do find strange is this, why are there no big Clubs in for him?.

Fair point, but there are no big clubs in for plenty of players in our squad - that doesn't mean there wouldn't be if we put them on the open market.

There are probably no big clubs in for ANY of our squad, but because we are struggling for cash atm, the press focus on supposed bids for Gerrard, Torres and Masch.

Haven't seen any bids for Pepe either - does that make him a bad keeper?
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #96: Jul 15, 2010 09:51:52 pm
      Fair point, but there are no big clubs in for plenty of players in our squad - that doesn't mean there wouldn't be if we put them on the open market.

There are probably no big clubs in for ANY of our squad, but because we are struggling for cash atm, the press focus on supposed bids for Gerrard, Torres and Masch.

Haven't seen any bids for Pepe either - does that make him a bad keeper?

That's a little weak there KennyIsKing. Everyone and his dog knows that Pepe has signed a new contract and will stay with us for the rest of his career, plus he is now officially a Scouser.  :D
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #97: Jul 15, 2010 09:54:09 pm
      That's a little weak there KennyIsKing. Everyone and his dog knows that Pepe has signed a new contract and will stay with us for the rest of his career, plus he is now officially a Scouser.  :D

Fair enough - but the point remains the same, as it does with the rest of the squad.

A bid, or a lack of one doesn't determine the quality, or lack of, of any player.

Plus I believe that Lucas is an unofficial scouser - a bit more time and it WILL be official ;)
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #98: Jul 16, 2010 03:30:24 am
      I still think he is a very very good player and lets face it, if we sell him, who are we realistically going to replace him with?

I believe there are a lot of players who can do what Lucas offers to our team, which is why selling him if we get a bid of 8m would be a good piece of business.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #99: Jul 16, 2010 11:01:29 pm
      Sell him for 5m and replace him for 1m.

Not in favour of selling anyone except the sh*te fringe players *cough* Babel, Degen and Riera etc.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #100: Jul 16, 2010 11:03:15 pm
      Sell him for 5m and replace him for 1m.

Not in favour of selling anyone except the sh*te fringe players *cough* Babel, Degen and Riera etc.
      Am i the only one who likes Degen then?
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #101: Jul 16, 2010 11:11:44 pm
      Am I the only one who likes Degen then?

I actually dont mind the lad.. not seen enough of him to be honest, but when i have watched him he seems very commited and makes some good forward runs.. trouble is he is a defender  ;D
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #102: Jul 16, 2010 11:30:41 pm
      I actually dont mind the lad.. not seen enough of him to be honest, but when I have watched him he seems very commited and makes some good forward runs.. trouble is he is a defender  ;D
      A defender that defends!! hmmm interesting idea!! Back on topic, I still beleive in Lucas! That said i also believe in Santa and the Easter bunny!
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #103: Jul 17, 2010 09:02:23 am
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/i-want-to-stay-at-liverpool
      With the friendly action kicking off tonight in Austria, we spoke to Lucas Leiva - one of the most experienced players in the travelling party - about pre-season, his new boss and his future.
      Related Links

* Lucas Mobile
          * Lucas Profile
          * Lucas Video

How are you finding the early days in our pre-season training camp?

It's a lovely place, we were here last season and it's a nice place to work and rest. It's a nice place to relax when we have time, but the important thing is having a good pre-season and making sure we have a better season than last year.

How was your summer?

It was really good. Of course I would have liked to be at the World Cup but it wasn't possible. Unfortunately, Brazil went out in the quarter-final, but I was happy for my teammates - Dirk and Ryan - after that game. I spent time in Brazil with family and friends and now I am back looking forward to having a good season and to helping Liverpool.

Are you happy to be back?

Yes, of course. A lot of changes have taken place over the last few weeks. I wish Rafa all the best because he was really important for me here, but now we're with Roy and I hope everybody can be happy and have a better season.

What are your early impressions of our new manager?

Really good. He seems to be very good as a coach, good with the tactical side of the game. We just want to make sure we have a better season. If everyone gets their fitness as soon as possible and the players on holiday come back and get themselves ready, then I think we will have a big chance.

Roy is obviously very experienced in the game, how much do you feel he can help a youngster like yourself to develop?

He will help everyone but for me he has a lot of experience, he has worked with big players at big clubs so his experience will help in giving me advice to help improve my game. I am feeling better every season and I hope that this season will be better again.

How different is he compared to other managers you have worked for?

I have only had three managers as a professional but I think he is similar to my first manager in Brazil. He likes to work on the shape of the team a lot, he is aware of all the small details, so we have to listen to the information he gives us and do what he wants us to do. Hopefully it will be successful.

As we know, it's a very young squad here in Switzerland - so you are one of the most experienced players. Do you help the younger lads and give them advice?

I feel old here because most of the senior lads are away. We have a lot of youngsters with us so I try to help them with the experience I have picked up from working with senior players. If I can help then it will be really good for them in the future.

What sort of advice do you give?

In training sessions I talk to them about positions and things like that. I like to talk to everyone so if someone wants to ask me a question I try to help and give him the information I have learnt. It's good to have different players here, young players who will be important in the future.

Like many players at this stage of the summer, there has been some speculation about your future. What can you tell us?

At the moment we don't know what is going to happen. I'm happy in Liverpool and looking forward to my fourth season. I hope I stay. I'm happy to play for Liverpool and to improve my performances, as I did last season. We don't know too much. There is a lot of speculation but we will see when the players all come back what will happen.

You proved a lot of people wrong with your performances last season - how confident are you that you can take another step forward this year?

My target at Liverpool always is to be positive with myself. I'm not here to try to prove critics wrong. I'm here to prove myself to the manager and my teammates. That's the most important thing. I don't know why people criticise me so much, but I just try to be positive and be strong. I know I had a good season last season and hope it will be even better this season. I have to keep going.

Are you strong-minded and take much notice of any criticism which may come your way?

I try not to read the papers because I don't see too many good things about me. I have to be strong in my mind. My only target is to be strong for myself, to feel good, feel that my performances are getting better and show the manager that I can play and have the quality that he expects. I think the fans have changed towards me.

What is your personal target for this season?

I'd like to play every game. We don't know the team Roy is thinking about starting with, but we have to show him we have the quality to be in his side.

I am confident we will have a better season. When there are lots of changes new motivation comes through and I think we can do better. We will do better.

Do you have a message for Liverpool fans?

Keep supporting us as you have always done. Believe in us and try to give us the confidence to go and win games. We will try one hundred per cent all the time in a Liverpool shirt.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #104: Jul 17, 2010 09:55:23 am
      Lucas is a good player, and a nice lad, maybe a change will be good for him.

I said in another forum, if we get 5 or 6 million for him, let him go. But I do like him, and would not let him go for less than that.

Esp. if Masch is going. But we still have Gerrad & Aquilani, less options in the middle, less confusion about formations IMO.
      liverpool9292
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts |
      Reply #105: Jul 17, 2010 12:51:27 pm
      http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6267183,00.html
      Lucas looking to stay put
      Brazilian midfielder out to impress new boss
      By Chris Burton   Last updated: 17th July 2010
      Lucas Leiva is paying little attention to speculation regarding his future as he is happy at Liverpool.

The Brazilian midfielder has been linked with a move to Italy over recent weeks, with his standing at Anfield having been cast into doubt.

The much-derided 23-year-old was a firm favourite of former Reds boss Rafa Benitez, but the Spaniard's exit has led to reports that Lucas could be moved on.

He hopes that will not be the case, believing he finally brought consistency to his game last season, and is determined to prove his worth to new manager Roy Hodgson over the coming weeks.

"I'm happy in Liverpool and looking forward to my fourth season," said Lucas, who is reported to have attracted interest from Palermo.

Critics
      "I hope I stay. I'm happy to play for Liverpool and to improve my performances, as I did last season.

"I'm not here to try to prove critics wrong. I'm here to prove myself to the manager and my team-mates.

"That's the most important thing. I don't know why people criticise me so much but I just try to be positive and be strong.

"I know I had a good season last season and hope it will be even better this season.

"I have to keep going and show the manager that I can play and have the quality that he expects."

Motivation
      Lucas is one of only a handful of senior players currently away with Liverpool at their pre-season training camp in Switzerland.

While numbers are thin on the ground, with the majority of the squad having been involved at the World Cup, those in the fold have been given an early opportunity to acquaint themselves with Hodgson's methods.

"He seems to be very good as a coach, good with the tactical side of the game," said Lucas.

"He will help everyone but for me he has a lot of experience, he has worked with big players at big clubs so his experience will help in giving me advice to help improve my game.

"I am confident we will have a better season. When there are lots of changes new motivation comes through and I think we can do better. We will do better."

Experience
      Meanwhile, Hodgson has confirmed that experienced coach Sammy Lee is set to remain at Anfield in some capacity.

Lee's role is yet to be determined, having been assistant manager to former boss Benitez, but he has been assured that he still has an important role to play in the backroom team.

"Sammy will stay here for the foreseeable future, absolutely - as long as he wants to be here," Hodgson told the Liverpool Echo.

"I have no intention of letting him go and if he wants to stay with us, he is more than welcome.

"I haven't made decisions on any [other positions] yet."

Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #106: Jul 17, 2010 02:15:32 pm
      I love Lucas, I really do, but to be honest I don't want us to lose him and Mascherano in the same season. I have a strong feeling Mascherano will leave and I think Lucas' value will only increase. I think he finally breaks out of his shell this year, and I know we keep saying that every off-season but I really believe he could become a focal point in Roy's system.
      liverpool9292
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts |
      Reply #107: Jul 17, 2010 04:31:29 pm
      I have alot of respect for lucas. He gets alot of critisism but it doesn't bother him, most players would have left the club over it but he wants to stay and earn the fans, players and managers respect.We need more players with his attitude at anfield. I said earlier that i would take £8M for him but ive changed my mind now!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #108: Jul 17, 2010 09:16:43 pm

"I'm not here to try to prove critics wrong. I'm here to prove myself to the manager and my team-mates.

This!
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #109: Jul 17, 2010 11:07:54 pm
       xxxxx:action-smiley-065:im glad he at least committed himself publicly to the cause. i think he could really prove to
      be a big player for us this season. time to show he didnt only played because he was rafas pet. good luck lucas 8)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #110: Jul 19, 2010 06:47:51 pm
      The sad thing is that El Zhar was speaking as though he was more than good enough and that he deserved a shot at first team football. Deluded and crap. But I wouldn't allow Lucas to go for a paltry £5 million. Palemo deserve a punch for offering that much. At the least he's worth £7-8 million. Lucas is a better player going forward but wasn't encouraged enough to do so. He still has a lot to show.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #111: Jul 19, 2010 06:50:32 pm
      Not a fan of the lad but he has the right attitude. It is fairly telling though he was obviously offered around and Palermo seem to have been the only takers with a £3.5 million deal saying £5 million is way to expensive for the lad.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #112: Jul 19, 2010 07:00:54 pm
      I wouldn't mind keeping Lucas but at the same time I wouldn't mind losing him.

If I had my way, I'd have Parker partnering Gerrard in central midfield. I just think it'd be a fantastic partnership.
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #113: Jul 19, 2010 07:11:05 pm
      I have alot of respect for lucas. He gets alot of critisism but it doesn't bother him, most players would have left the club over it but he wants to stay and earn the fans, players and managers respect.We need more players with his attitude at anfield. I said earlier that I would take £8M for him but ive changed my mind now!

I agree.... definitely has the hunger and desire to succeed, and that is what drives players on to get better.  He is a young player and has a lot of talent.  We just need the fans to get behind him.... a little confidence boost could be all he needs to really take off :)
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #114: Jul 19, 2010 08:19:22 pm
      How are you at left back, Lucas?  :f_tongueincheek:

Quick Reply